Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
22/23 Squad rebuild. 18:35 - Apr 23 with 9641 viewsBeckenhamhoop

In a desperate attempt to remain positive about QPR I’ve turned my thoughts to next season and the squad rebuild that is, once again, necessary.

I’d just like to mention that Reading’s John Swift, aged 26, 11 goals, 13 assists is, I believe, out of contract at the end of the season.

Oh, and Michal Helik might not want to play in League One next year.

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 18:38 - Apr 23 with 5228 viewsDamo1962

Has Mitrovic got a younger brother?😉
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 18:43 - Apr 23 with 5209 viewsqpr_1968

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 18:38 - Apr 23 by Damo1962

Has Mitrovic got a younger brother?😉

if not, his sister.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 18:45 - Apr 23 with 5182 viewsDamo1962

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 18:43 - Apr 23 by qpr_1968

if not, his sister.

She'd be better than Dykes😉😎
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 18:51 - Apr 23 with 5168 viewsHoopstar

I am slightly worried about the hangover effect from this horrendous collapse next season - plenty of quality within the squad but it remains so unbalanced and so thin in reserve. It doesn't seem there is much to come in terms of players stepping up - don't think any of Kelman, Masterson, Gubbins, Armstrong, Alfie Lloyd etc are going to add much to the squad, at least at this point in time?

Keep List - where possible:

Dieng (potential sale)
One of Archer, Marshall, Westwood
Walsh

Dickie (potential sale)
Barbet (please, accept he may be returning home though)
Dunne (potential captain?)
De Wijs
Odubajo (can't afford anyone better, think he will be released though especially if Warbs leaves)
Kakay (though may need to leave for his own career - adeuqate cover)

Johansen (vain hope a pre season will actually get him fit again)
Amos
Dozzell
Field
Chair
Willock (potential sale)

Austin (who'd take him)
Dykes
(Struggling to see what more can be gotten out of Dykes and Thomas - think we can accept Thomas just isn't a Champ player)

McCallum - not averse to another year on loan, not sure Norwich will play him but out of our price range and not worth that outlay
Adomah - potentially still has a role to play from the bench? Reduced wages for a year?

Looking at the out of contract players in the Champ, not a lot that are realistic and might improve the team...

Buchanan at Derby for LB?
Kebano (could never afford though)
Swift as you say (but won't be short of suitors you'd have thought)

Not great pickings to be had in that list, just lots of same old plodding Champ players who have finished mid-table in various teams for good reason - pace in the team may need to come from abroad (much harder now) or a Prem academy release/gone abroad player or on loan which is just not ideal.

Anyone kept any tabs on that George Cox from the Eredivise we were so heavily linked with last summer?
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:03 - Apr 23 with 4983 viewsbaz_qpr

Lets assume Dickie goes to Wet Spam as rumoured and Willock goes to a lower third prem club. If Eze to Newcastle goes through as well that should be a healthy war chest.

Barbet is going home its also rumoured, and get the impression Moses might not be staying either. Wallace and Austin will be bit part at best. Dykes could be off to the World Cup with the jocks and if he is I would look to move him on as well. Assuming Bonne stays at Ipswich

I think Johansson has clearly been unfit all season so could be like a new signing. But we are going to need quite a bit inbound.

Suspect this Scottish forward will be signed.

Going to need more pace in the team as well.

So by my reckoning

1 x GK
2 x CB even if Jordi is back
2 x WB / FB
1 x CM
2 x Winger
1 x AM/SS
2/3 x CF

and unless we get lucky probably lower mid table
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:07 - Apr 23 with 4961 viewsBoston

Two Forwards
Winger
Centre Back

That depends on who goes of course.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:13 - Apr 23 with 4946 viewsBeckenhamhoop

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:07 - Apr 23 by Boston

Two Forwards
Winger
Centre Back

Name names Boston 😉
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:19 - Apr 23 with 4924 viewsT_Block

Warburton and the back room should have targets and just get on with it.Frontline with youth bit like Lutons but better
Login to get fewer ads

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:56 - Apr 23 with 4829 views1JD

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:03 - Apr 23 by baz_qpr

Lets assume Dickie goes to Wet Spam as rumoured and Willock goes to a lower third prem club. If Eze to Newcastle goes through as well that should be a healthy war chest.

Barbet is going home its also rumoured, and get the impression Moses might not be staying either. Wallace and Austin will be bit part at best. Dykes could be off to the World Cup with the jocks and if he is I would look to move him on as well. Assuming Bonne stays at Ipswich

I think Johansson has clearly been unfit all season so could be like a new signing. But we are going to need quite a bit inbound.

Suspect this Scottish forward will be signed.

Going to need more pace in the team as well.

So by my reckoning

1 x GK
2 x CB even if Jordi is back
2 x WB / FB
1 x CM
2 x Winger
1 x AM/SS
2/3 x CF

and unless we get lucky probably lower mid table

Johansen has clearly been unfit all season?!

I’ve never heard such an excuse. He’s played 33 championship games this season.

The reality is he’s been a terrible signing when considering the huge amount of money he is on for a club of our size. Ambles about. Points fingers at his teammates. Barely lays a glove on any opposition midfielder. Passes backwards and sideways. And is painfully slow. I find it hard to believe we’re stuck paying his salary for another 2 seasons.
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 21:06 - Apr 23 with 4790 viewsbaz_qpr

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:56 - Apr 23 by 1JD

The reality is he’s been a terrible signing when considering the huge amount of money he is on for a club of our size. Ambles about. Points fingers at his teammates. Barely lays a glove on any opposition midfielder. Passes backwards and sideways. And is painfully slow. I find it hard to believe we’re stuck paying his salary for another 2 seasons.

He's not been fit, there is something clearly wrong and has been from the get go this year to go from the player he was in the last half of the season where he dominated games and teams doing all the things you are saying he has not this year.

From the first handful of games where he got "cramp" or never managed more than 60 minutes. He's been in for a couple of games played 60 mins, hobbled of in a number, missed one or two games and then back. I would say for certain that both Johanson and Dykes are and have been carrying injuries or recurring injuries for most of the year.
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 21:28 - Apr 23 with 4727 viewsCamberleyR

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:56 - Apr 23 by 1JD

A big difference in playing those games and being 100% when playing them. His performances were absolutely fine in the first couple of months as quite a few seem to have conveniently forgotten and as I have posted elsewhere on here, I believe his injury/fitness problems started at the West Brom away game at the end of September.

He tweaked/pulled his hamstring before signalling to come off, he played on, Seny's brain fart let them back in the game and then he finally came off and I think he has been playing catchup since then.

The medical staff have tried to manage it the best they can but I think he has never been able to get it 100% right and has probably played when he shouldn't have with a niggle.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 21:33 - Apr 23 with 4707 viewsaston_hoop

Apologies in advance, I'm going to come from a positive standpoint. I think we have the core of a very good midfield in having Field, Amos and Dozzell all at the age they are. If we can keep Dunne, Dickie, Chair and Willock, we have some quality at the back and going forward. We need full/wing backs, we could use another striker and maybe another number 10 but we're not that far off are we? Build our squad gradually year on year. Our transfers will be coming from the same recruitment team that identified all of the above, I'm not feeling down about the future just yet

Now I suppose the thing is, we are going to lose someone. Its happened before with BOS, Manning, Freeman, Eze, it'll happen again. We'll also make mistakes again, there will be a Hendrick or a Todd Kane. There will be at every club. But I'm not too worried at this stage. I know finances are tight, but we're not about to turn into Derby or Reading with fire sales I don't think and we're not about to play in the worlds most difficult league. Its the Championship, half the sides will do utterly stupid things for at least half the season, so a bit of stability from our side and a few improvements might just be the only thing we need to remain competitive. Importantly I'd like to see us keep the process going, if Warburton wants to continue this then let him. Lets keep building the squad with the players for his system and see where we are in 12 months time.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 21:39 - Apr 23 with 4687 viewsBrianMcCarthy

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:07 - Apr 23 by Boston

Two Forwards
Winger
Centre Back

A 5-a-side team without a goalie just might work, kids.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 21:53 - Apr 23 with 4640 viewsQPR_Jim

In terms of defenders assuming Barbet is going, I'd let de wijs go as well. Masterson can do a job and maybe we can sign a League 1 defender like Luke Woolfenden or Jack Tucker to make the step up.
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 22:31 - Apr 23 with 4551 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 20:19 - Apr 23 by T_Block

Warburton and the back room should have targets and just get on with it.Frontline with youth bit like Lutons but better

I think this is Warburtons biggest weekness. I don't think he's very well connected and neither are the club. Probably better suited to Watford than us?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 05:43 - Apr 24 with 4315 views1JD

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 21:28 - Apr 23 by CamberleyR

A big difference in playing those games and being 100% when playing them. His performances were absolutely fine in the first couple of months as quite a few seem to have conveniently forgotten and as I have posted elsewhere on here, I believe his injury/fitness problems started at the West Brom away game at the end of September.

He tweaked/pulled his hamstring before signalling to come off, he played on, Seny's brain fart let them back in the game and then he finally came off and I think he has been playing catchup since then.

The medical staff have tried to manage it the best they can but I think he has never been able to get it 100% right and has probably played when he shouldn't have with a niggle.

Sorry but this doesn’t make any sense.

Warburton continues to state how careful he is with injuries and loading. Players don’t play if they are injured, nearing injury (by the data), or not fully recovered.

We also have significant numbers of alternatives in centre midfield who have been chomping at the bit and available to play. Dozzell, Amos, Also Ball. It’s not as if we have been desperate and Johansen must play at all costs… which is largely has actually been the case. He HAS played at all costs.

That is down to the manager picking him as captain in spite of turning in average to below average performances for the entirety of this season.

I find it strange there is kind of denial that goes on regarding Johansen. “He must be unfit” (because he’s been so poor!) but there is no supporting evidence. He’s played 33 games. If you can’t get fit after 33 games, many an occasion where he played 10+ games back to back, then you never will. Its simple as that. He’s as fit as any other squad member. The idea he has not been fit for the whole of this season is balony. Warburtons injury and loading policy further demonstrates that.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 5:45]
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 07:53 - Apr 24 with 4156 viewsTonto

Rebuild is a bit of an overstatement IMO. The basis of the squad is there.

I accept the front line/strikers needs a big look at (or to be more precise some pace). And wing backs needs looking at but otherwise its not major surgery.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 09:36 - Apr 24 with 4003 viewsHastings_Hoops

Why are people talking about a re-build? The problem has been introduction of loans & older players who will either not be here next season or be even more sidelined. And then the injuries.

Sell just one or two of our better valued players, invest half back into the playing squad with a few young / hungry additions and go again.
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 11:01 - Apr 24 with 3864 viewsfrancisbowles

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 05:43 - Apr 24 by 1JD

Sorry but this doesn’t make any sense.

Warburton continues to state how careful he is with injuries and loading. Players don’t play if they are injured, nearing injury (by the data), or not fully recovered.

We also have significant numbers of alternatives in centre midfield who have been chomping at the bit and available to play. Dozzell, Amos, Also Ball. It’s not as if we have been desperate and Johansen must play at all costs… which is largely has actually been the case. He HAS played at all costs.

That is down to the manager picking him as captain in spite of turning in average to below average performances for the entirety of this season.

I find it strange there is kind of denial that goes on regarding Johansen. “He must be unfit” (because he’s been so poor!) but there is no supporting evidence. He’s played 33 games. If you can’t get fit after 33 games, many an occasion where he played 10+ games back to back, then you never will. Its simple as that. He’s as fit as any other squad member. The idea he has not been fit for the whole of this season is balony. Warburtons injury and loading policy further demonstrates that.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 5:45]

Camberley has given you most of the evidence and you are completely ignoring it. He is an older player so we would take more risks with him. He arrived with an injury, which the club thought they could manage, he was signed late, didn't have a proper pre season, didn't play in our friendlies, was photographed wearing a cast/bandage on his leg. I also happen to know a Fulham staffer and when he was asked whether SJ had an injury, replied club confidentiality and that we would have undertaken a medical. So a broad hint.
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 11:07 - Apr 24 with 3863 viewsbaz_qpr

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 09:36 - Apr 24 by Hastings_Hoops

Why are people talking about a re-build? The problem has been introduction of loans & older players who will either not be here next season or be even more sidelined. And then the injuries.

Sell just one or two of our better valued players, invest half back into the playing squad with a few young / hungry additions and go again.

End of contracts and or optimum time in contract for sell or renew, key players moving on, older players at end of their career its going to be more than a few
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 11:24 - Apr 24 with 3822 viewsBeckenhamhoop

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 09:36 - Apr 24 by Hastings_Hoops

To me, what you’ve described is a squad rebuild! Let’s not get pedantic about what constitutes a ‘rebuild’ or not. I’m talking about what, or more specifically, who, is needed to improve the team next season from this season.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 11:30]
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 14:08 - Apr 24 with 3658 viewstkqpr

Dunne & Willock have been exceptional this season arguably the 2 standout performers for us and yet would we have said that at the start of the season?

They we good finds and good recruitment by the club. There are others out there, see Isaiah Jones, Sorba Thomas etc that are out there and need to be picked and moulded into our team for next year.
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 18:22 - Apr 24 with 3443 views1JD

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 11:01 - Apr 24 by francisbowles

Camberley has given you most of the evidence and you are completely ignoring it. He is an older player so we would take more risks with him. He arrived with an injury, which the club thought they could manage, he was signed late, didn't have a proper pre season, didn't play in our friendlies, was photographed wearing a cast/bandage on his leg. I also happen to know a Fulham staffer and when he was asked whether SJ had an injury, replied club confidentiality and that we would have undertaken a medical. So a broad hint.

I’m not ignoring anything. Unlike you, i’m presenting fact, not opinion. And you’ve just completely “ignored” the facts and evidence outlined above.

He’s played 33 games. Warburton has a no-play policy for players who are not fit. Both of these are the facts. Nothing suggests he has “not been fit for the season”. Other than his poor form, which is in your opinion, is because he has been unfit!

How can a professional footballer not be fit for the entirety a season, in a season in which they played 33 games?

As for the club taking a risk with older players? That’s illogical. If anything, its the complete opposite- you take risks with younger players who are more supple and have quicker recovery times because their bodies are younger..

Believe what you want to believe, that’s your prerogative, but don’t ignore the facts.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 18:25]
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 09:48 - Apr 25 with 3125 viewsstantheman10

22/23 Squad rebuild. on 21:06 - Apr 23 by baz_qpr

He's not been fit, there is something clearly wrong and has been from the get go this year to go from the player he was in the last half of the season where he dominated games and teams doing all the things you are saying he has not this year.

From the first handful of games where he got "cramp" or never managed more than 60 minutes. He's been in for a couple of games played 60 mins, hobbled of in a number, missed one or two games and then back. I would say for certain that both Johanson and Dykes are and have been carrying injuries or recurring injuries for most of the year.

What happened with Johansen was he played brilliantly for us at the end of last season got his cushty contract and has now got his slippers on and his feet up!
The same thing has happened with Charlie.
Our board have been taken for mugs again.
22/23 Squad rebuild. on 10:29 - Apr 25 with 3048 viewsderbyhoop

At the tail end of the season there is barely any player 100% fit. Fact is the older ones, Wallace, Adomah, Johansen, Austin have run out of steam.

Any rebuilding will depend on finances and the job Andy Belk does in identifying options. I can't see 4 above being regular starters and 1 or 2 may go.

We need pace, at FB and up front.

Might need to sell to reinvest.
Then, who's going to be the manager?

Lots of questions, few answers.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024