Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols 13:44 - Jun 10 with 7249 viewsthame_hoops

Has anybody been watching the Danny Boyle tv show series on Disney+, pistol. Based on Steve Jones book “lonely boy” I know there are a few punks on this board.

I thought it was fantastic, very well acted.

I understand John Lydon is upset with it because he wasn’t consulted, there are some interviews of him on YouTube where he discusses this.
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 10:03 - Jun 18 with 1924 viewslondonscottish

It's (very very loosely) based on Steve Jones' book, Lonely Boy which I read and loved.

Danny Boyle's take is all a bit Four Weddings to me. He did the exact same thing to Trainspotting. Why do people in the film industry do this? Having said that, me & the Mrs are on episode 3 or 4 and enjoying it for what it is.

If you want a proper history of punk, the A-Z of Punk is brilliant. Presented by Mark Riley & a bloke from the Tall. One of the (many) running jokes is the number of bands that Chrissie Hynde auditioned for before getting her break..

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/a-to-z-of-punk-on-6-music/

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 10:35 - Jun 18 with 1861 viewshubble

Talking of the history of punk, a few years ago I had an interview with one 'Mr. C' let's call him, for a position running a publishing company. In the course of the informal meeting - it was in the Frontline Club, Paddington - we got to chatting about the late 70s, when we had both been into punk, and he revealed he'd written a definitive book on the history of the era, titled.. Punk. Apparently it's <i>the</i> definitive book of those times. Then he added 'Actually I was the bass player in a punk band.'
Really?' I said, interested and impressed, 'which one?'.
'The Lurkers,' he said.
I looked at him more closely now, because I had been a Lurkers fan along with a whole bunch of mates and seen them play many times, including spin-offs like Arturo Bassick's 'Pinpoint'. In all that time they'd only had two bass players - Arturo and Nigel.
'I never saw you play with them,' I said.
He was non-plussed. Clearly he had assumed that the Lurkers were obscure enough that he'd never get questioned about his alleged role.
'Well, I did..' he asserted, without so much conviction.
Except he didn't. When I got home I googled him and sure enough his claim is published as fact on loads of sites referring to him. Just to make sure, I contacted the Lurkers drummer Manic Esso, via a mutual friend.
'Never heard of him,' was Manic's reply.
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 12:55 - Jun 26 with 1618 viewsDannyPaddox

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 10:03 - Jun 18 by londonscottish

It's (very very loosely) based on Steve Jones' book, Lonely Boy which I read and loved.

Danny Boyle's take is all a bit Four Weddings to me. He did the exact same thing to Trainspotting. Why do people in the film industry do this? Having said that, me & the Mrs are on episode 3 or 4 and enjoying it for what it is.

If you want a proper history of punk, the A-Z of Punk is brilliant. Presented by Mark Riley & a bloke from the Tall. One of the (many) running jokes is the number of bands that Chrissie Hynde auditioned for before getting her break..

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/a-to-z-of-punk-on-6-music/

Spent the last fortnight listening to Riley and Hughes A-Z of Punk. Wonderful stuff. It was my book at bedtime. Mark Riley had some choice anecdotes being in the Fall and supporting a good few of the bands mentioned. However I was a little disappointed there was no mention of QPR in the Q episode. I mean which football team still regularly has and would have had at the time members of both the Sex Pistols and The Clash in the crowd. I say Never Mind The Bollocks …

[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 13:41]
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 13:55 - Jun 26 with 1539 viewskensalriser

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 10:35 - Jun 18 by hubble

Talking of the history of punk, a few years ago I had an interview with one 'Mr. C' let's call him, for a position running a publishing company. In the course of the informal meeting - it was in the Frontline Club, Paddington - we got to chatting about the late 70s, when we had both been into punk, and he revealed he'd written a definitive book on the history of the era, titled.. Punk. Apparently it's <i>the</i> definitive book of those times. Then he added 'Actually I was the bass player in a punk band.'
'The Lurkers,' he said.
I looked at him more closely now, because I had been a Lurkers fan along with a whole bunch of mates and seen them play many times, including spin-offs like Arturo Bassick's 'Pinpoint'. In all that time they'd only had two bass players - Arturo and Nigel.
He was non-plussed. Clearly he had assumed that the Lurkers were obscure enough that he'd never get questioned about his alleged role.
Except he didn't. When I got home I googled him and sure enough his claim is published as fact on loads of sites referring to him. Just to make sure, I contacted the Lurkers drummer Manic Esso, via a mutual friend.

Did you get the job?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 17:07 - Jun 26 with 1469 viewsBoston

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 10:35 - Jun 18 by hubble

'The Lurkers,' he said.

Ha, love it.

Many, many years ago, Sounds wrote a story re some nutter at punk gigs and the general mayhem he was getting up too. A couple of days later myself and a mate of mine bumped into a bloke at the Music Machine claiming to be said lunatic, raving on about the extent of his mullarkying.
We let him go on, had a good laugh, the nutter in question was my mate.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 17:39 - Jun 26 with 1441 viewshubble

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 13:55 - Jun 26 by kensalriser

Did you get the job?

That was the last I heard of him or his job!
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 19:08 - Jun 27 with 1308 viewskensalriser

I knew that! I was just being mischevious. Lucky escape, working for someone who constructs alternative realities doesn't strike me as a lot of fun.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 08:17 - Jun 28 with 1183 viewslondonscottish

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 12:55 - Jun 26 by DannyPaddox

Spent the last fortnight listening to Riley and Hughes A-Z of Punk. Wonderful stuff. It was my book at bedtime. Mark Riley had some choice anecdotes being in the Fall and supporting a good few of the bands mentioned. However I was a little disappointed there was no mention of QPR in the Q episode. I mean which football team still regularly has and would have had at the time members of both the Sex Pistols and The Clash in the crowd. I say Never Mind The Bollocks …

LOL.

There were so many good stories. Endlessly amusing and interesting.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 09:48 - Jun 28 with 1158 viewsthame_hoops

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 12:55 - Jun 26 by DannyPaddox

remember around 10 years ago the club shop sold a t-shirt-

"God save the queens park rangers" in the same font as the pistols picture
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 16:08 - Jun 28 with 1057 viewsMoonshineSteve

Got one. Love it.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024