Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The West London 'affinity'??? 15:42 - Jun 27 with 6051 viewsTheChef

One for the older fans here - I saw this posted on an FB group, was this actually a thing or is this guy on a wind up?

I've read about QPR and Brentford fans going to the others' matches if the other team was away, but nothing like this with Chelscum!

A lot of younger fans are unaware of the West London affinity.
Before away travel in the 60s Chelsea fans would support QPR or Fulham when Chelsea were away.
Even in the 70s when Chelsea played away at Loftus Road most fans in the stadium were Chelsea fans. The friendship with QPR lasted until around 78/79 when QPR fans found their own identity. The Fulham/ Chelsea friendship lasted a few more years with neither set of fans really bothered who won the derby games.
Although younger fans won't feel the affinity we older fans haven't changed our affiliations.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The West London 'affinity'??? on 20:42 - Jun 27 with 1384 viewspaulparker

Never liked Chelsea even as a kid and Brentford/Fulham were 4th division teams back then
As a teen I would go to Spurs, West Ham , Arsenal if we were away as I had mates who supported them and back then you could just pay on the day
The nearest to a west London affinity was going to see Hayes when they got a good draw in the FA cups , loads of Rangers use to follow them

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The West London 'affinity'??? on 20:42 - Jun 27 with 1386 viewsstowmarketrange

The West London 'affinity'??? on 19:57 - Jun 27 by joe90

I grew up in Wimbledon and many of the Chelsea fans I knew told me their dads would watch Wimbledon at Plough lane when Chelsea were away. I don’t think that tradition carried onto Selhurst Park.

From the impression I got most of them are from South of river, Battersea, Clapham, Wandsworth etc, then you’re looking at places along the South West train line like Kingston and even further out. I really don’t think of Chelsea as a ‘West London’ club.

I should have been a Chelsea fan but even as kid I was aware of the racism around the club/fans and it really put me off, despite having many mates that were fans.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 21:21]

I was born in Battersea and if my family hadn’t moved out when I was 7 or 8,I would’ve probably supported them too.We moved to the leafy surroundings of Roehampton.We had no football fans in the family,although my dad was keen on Fulham,mainly because of Haynes.We had easy bus links to the 2 sw6 clubs,or the 72 bus to East Acton.
A couple of years later I started getting into football,and my mum asked her mate if her husband would take me along to a game or two.Luckily he was a season ticket holder in the new South Africa road stand and I got a lift with him for a couple of years until I was allowed the bus fare to go on my own.52 years later I’m still here,and I’ve tried to get all my kids involved in coming along too,but they’ve all fallen by the wayside,so now I bring one of my grandchildren along to the home games.Whether they’ll continue or not is questionable as they need me along to get them there and back.
But we all need to do something to replace us old fogeys for when we’re not around any more,but that is a question for another day.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 20:45]
The West London 'affinity'??? on 21:40 - Jun 27 with 1248 viewsswitchingcode

Used to go to QPR and Fulham regularly back in the 60s and 70s when the Bees were away and weren’t bothered going.Saw Stanley play for Carlisle at loftus road before he signed for you and also was at his debut game.Always went with Fulham and QPR mates some sadly no longer with us great days to watch football.QPR had loads of players either on their way up or down like Webb Mclintock Hollins and Mancini ( never forget him wearing a syrup in the warm up before a game)
Never an issue back then and don’t think it is now unless you go on social media sites
The West London 'affinity'??? on 21:59 - Jun 27 with 1200 viewsStanisgod

The West London 'affinity'??? on 16:09 - Jun 27 by Addinall

As someone from the distant pass I don't remember any fan animosity beyond schoolboy rivalries. My best friend was a Fulham fan (and still is). If both were not at home together we would both go to the one that was.So I remember seeing Johnny Haynes,Jimmy hill and Bobby Robson playing together.

The best part however,compared to today,was that you mixed on the terraces with the other sides fans. No away ends were necessary then and I don't remember serious trouble being a problem.

My uncle, now passed bless him, from Willesden same as me, used to go in the sixties, to whatever the best game was. He was Spurs really.
He gave me a lot of his old programmes from Chelsea, spurs, fulham, brentford and Rangers which ive still got,

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The West London 'affinity'??? on 22:51 - Jun 27 with 1115 viewsWren67

Didnt really develop hatred of teams and that remains so now apart from Chelscum, whose fans I dislike with a passion.

In the early 70s I ventured to Stamford Bridge with a Spurs supporting school mate to see a Chelsea/Spurs game and that's where the dislike of Chelscum began together with a dread of away matches. An experience I hope is never repeated.

Cant say that The West London Affinity idea is something I have noticed particularly as violence between some fans at football matches was common in the 70s.
The West London 'affinity'??? on 00:47 - Jun 28 with 1047 viewscharmr

19th August 1978, Liverpool away opening game of the season, attendance 50,793.

80 of us in a few carriages on a regular train run by the official supporters club.

Used to go to Wealdstone at lower mead a lot when Rangers were away. Had a few Wealdstone school friends who went regularly even away. After the final whistle we would all then leg it up to Debenhams to the second floor where the tv,s we’re to catch the days results. Quite a crowd sometimes.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 2:25]
The West London 'affinity'??? on 01:34 - Jun 28 with 1021 viewsLoftgirl

I used to go to a few Fulham or Brentford games when we were away, or our pitch was water-logged. I must own up to going to C*****a. I stood with the Boro fans when they relegated C*****a in the days of a play-off for promotion/relgation. I think that's excusable though. I was so elated on the way out, I couldn't find where I had parked the car. Happy days.
The West London 'affinity'??? on 06:43 - Jun 28 with 937 viewsnumptydumpty

The West London 'affinity'??? on 01:34 - Jun 28 by Loftgirl

I used to go to a few Fulham or Brentford games when we were away, or our pitch was water-logged. I must own up to going to C*****a. I stood with the Boro fans when they relegated C*****a in the days of a play-off for promotion/relgation. I think that's excusable though. I was so elated on the way out, I couldn't find where I had parked the car. Happy days.

I not go as far back as some. First game seen in flesh 1980.

But remember being in away end at Chelsea and can't say I felt the love.

Obviously in those days segregation was poor.

Particularly prominent is being Ellerslie Road and South Africa Road with games against Chelsea, West Ham and Man U surrounded by their fans.

Particularly satisfying was 4 - 2 win against our blue West London friends when Les got two, Colin Clarke I believe and Mark Falco an overhead worldy volley from outside the area.

The Chelsea fan base were very friendly that day !!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024