Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the point in Twitter? 22:12 - Jun 28 with 7078 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

So I don't have a twitter account and never have as far as I remember.

Why should I join now?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What's the point in Twitter? on 12:30 - Jun 29 with 3080 viewsE17hoop

Twitter is like a big pub - most of the people there are harmless but you wouldn't want to talk with them. Some of the people are complete morons - loud, annoying, and opinionated. A few people are who you want to listen to and sit at the same table as you. Occasionally you overhear something from a table which isn't yours which you share and 'your' people talk about.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

What's the point in Twitter? on 12:46 - Jun 29 with 3036 viewsNorthernr

It's really good for...
1 - Pretending to be connected in some way that allows you to know who we'll be signing next. Being wrong about this over and over again doesn't seem to be a problem.
2 - Shouting SIGN A FCKING STRIKER directly at board members. "Get your fcking hand in your pocket" is a good back up, to somebody covering a £1.8m loss a month.
3 - Thinking of the most OTT aggressive and obnoxious criticism you can about one of our young players and copying their handle in so they get to read it.
4 - Setting up anonymous accounts to make people who dare to run websites or podcasts feel as sht about themselves as possible.
What's the point in Twitter? on 12:48 - Jun 29 with 3025 viewsrobith

What's the point in Twitter? on 10:52 - Jun 29 by daveB

The dangerous bit of social media is how you will tend to only see news and opinions that they think you will like so if you like a post saying for example Boris Johnson is a prat you will quickly see multiple posts like that with the same opinion, much the same as if you like or reply to something in favour of Johnson you'll get fed loads of pro government/right wing stuff. there is little to no balance and you can see why people have become brainwashed and so now entrenched in their own view.

I made the mistake of falling down a few rabbit holes with it over the years, during brexit and covid it was a pretty dark place and made me quite depressed at times. If you think some of the threads on here get a bit mental you should see it on there.

i now just use it for football and movie news and life feels better

for me Ricky Gervais did the best summary of twitter

If social media is an echo chamber how come i am constantly being served tweets by people i hate spouting opinions i find detestable
What's the point in Twitter? on 13:36 - Jun 29 with 2943 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What's the point in Twitter? on 12:46 - Jun 29 by Northernr

It's really good for...
1 - Pretending to be connected in some way that allows you to know who we'll be signing next. Being wrong about this over and over again doesn't seem to be a problem.
2 - Shouting SIGN A FCKING STRIKER directly at board members. "Get your fcking hand in your pocket" is a good back up, to somebody covering a £1.8m loss a month.
3 - Thinking of the most OTT aggressive and obnoxious criticism you can about one of our young players and copying their handle in so they get to read it.
4 - Setting up anonymous accounts to make people who dare to run websites or podcasts feel as sht about themselves as possible.

That’s one of the things I wasn’t sure about. Whether to set up an account in my own name or to set up with some kind of pseudonym.

I could have set up as CliveWilsonSaid for instance but I’ve always found it a bit weird when the first thing you find out about someone on twitter is what football team they support. I mean I love QPR but it’s only one part of my life and I don’t really want to be defined by it.

All I really want to be able to do is read some of the content occasionally/watch videos etc which you can’t always do unless you have an account now.

Are you still getting grief on there? Sorry to hear that sounds like a nightmare.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What's the point in Twitter? on 13:40 - Jun 29 with 2929 viewsNorthernr

What's the point in Twitter? on 13:36 - Jun 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

That’s one of the things I wasn’t sure about. Whether to set up an account in my own name or to set up with some kind of pseudonym.

I could have set up as CliveWilsonSaid for instance but I’ve always found it a bit weird when the first thing you find out about someone on twitter is what football team they support. I mean I love QPR but it’s only one part of my life and I don’t really want to be defined by it.

All I really want to be able to do is read some of the content occasionally/watch videos etc which you can’t always do unless you have an account now.

Are you still getting grief on there? Sorry to hear that sounds like a nightmare.

Nah I've just done a mass block and mute so if I am then I don't see it any more. Was still a bleak experience though.
What's the point in Twitter? on 15:31 - Jun 29 with 2824 viewsPinnerPaul

Never been on it, never will I don't think.

Lost interest in mainstream news around Covid time, don't buy newspapers, don't watch listen to the news.

Do get the headlines and sports news from Teletext - don't laugh, you just get the facts and hardly any idiotic quotes.

Obviously my two main passions, I can discuss at length on here and RefChat - suits me fine.
What's the point in Twitter? on 16:12 - Jun 29 with 2747 viewsBeckenhamhoop

I love Twitter. This popped up on my timeline yesterday. You quite often see really interesting/touching/amazing threads that lift the spirits. Twitter is only a cesspit if you jump into the $hit.

What's the point in Twitter? on 16:41 - Jun 29 with 2697 viewsrobith

What's the point in Twitter? on 13:36 - Jun 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

Football twitter accounts that clearly aren't real people who like football are so weird

They're either

- Obvious sock puppets, weird profile picture and the bio "LOVE QPR, HATE WHAT THE WOKE LEFT HAVE DONE TO MY COUNTRY, DON'T LIKE IT MOVE 2 IRAN END OF"

- Obvious children with a profile pic of a high profile player and called PogbaNonce69, just replying to everything with "ratio" or "farmers league"
Login to get fewer ads

What's the point in Twitter? on 17:11 - Jun 29 with 2639 viewsBrianMcCarthy

My favourite non-Rangers sites at the moment. They brighten up my feed every day.:

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What's the point in Twitter? on 17:33 - Jun 29 with 2602 viewsNorthernr

What's the point in Twitter? on 16:41 - Jun 29 by robith

Football twitter accounts that clearly aren't real people who like football are so weird

They're either

- Obvious sock puppets, weird profile picture and the bio "LOVE QPR, HATE WHAT THE WOKE LEFT HAVE DONE TO MY COUNTRY, DON'T LIKE IT MOVE 2 IRAN END OF"

- Obvious children with a profile pic of a high profile player and called PogbaNonce69, just replying to everything with "ratio" or "farmers league"

The first one is bots right? So many bot accounts made to look genuine by pretending to be a football fan.

You can tell because whenever there's one of those days where 10,000 accounts all Tweet "Boris is doing his best in a tough situation, he needs our love and devotion to make a success of our great country, not more MSM nonsense #myPM #BackBoris" at the same time, loads and loads of them are 'football fan' accounts with players as profile pics.
What's the point in Twitter? on 17:57 - Jun 29 with 2545 viewsdmm

What's the point in Twitter? on 13:40 - Jun 29 by Northernr

Nah I've just done a mass block and mute so if I am then I don't see it any more. Was still a bleak experience though.

You have to put up with some horrible sh*t, Clive. I hope we're not too much trouble on here. Peace and love to you
What's the point in Twitter? on 19:24 - Jun 29 with 2482 viewsBklynRanger

I've got it, and did all the stuff I was supposed to with following people I'm interested in.

But I just can't be bothered looking at it - same with Insta, same with Facebook which I used to use quite a lot a few years ago.

Maybe there's some kind of modern syndrome that describes this can't be fcuked-ness?
What's the point in Twitter? (n/t) on 19:58 - Jun 29 with 2408 viewswood_hoop

[Post edited 29 Jun 2022 20:07]
What's the point in Twitter? on 21:20 - Jun 29 with 2318 viewsjoe90

I sacked off Facebook about 10 years ago when I was abroad travelling. Every time I visited an Internet cafe I’d be on it scrolling through tedious updates when I should have been researching my trip. I came to the realisation that my friends just aren’t as interesting online as they are in real life. Since then I think it’s become a complete toxic cess pit.

I run a Twitter account for work and find it utterly depressing. The constant outrage and people just repeating what’s already been said. It can be good for breaking news, I remember during some of the terrorist attacks I was giving live updates to my team, it probably needlessly exasperated the mood, but was exciting none the less in a very macabre way.

Instagram - see my comments on Facebook.

I’ve expected that by not engaging with social media I will miss out on things and am fine with that.
What's the point in Twitter? on 13:09 - Jun 30 with 2124 viewswood_hoop

Have only in the last few months taken to reading the thing, more to keep abreast of news articles not in the main press, most I think should be taken with a pinch of salt but the latest about the PM is quite amusing if true.

Either the lawyers are gonna get rich or a certain amount of truth maybe...

Involves a certain lady 'blowing the horn' in the HOC and being caught by a colleague, who just happens to have moved to the upper house.

That's what I mean about certain articles not appearing in the MSM, but Private Eye have dished the dirt this month, a trip abroad seems not to have done the trick, nor a 'super injuction'
What's the point in Twitter? on 14:39 - Jun 30 with 1983 viewsrobith

What's the point in Twitter? on 17:33 - Jun 29 by Northernr

The first one is bots right? So many bot accounts made to look genuine by pretending to be a football fan.

You can tell because whenever there's one of those days where 10,000 accounts all Tweet "Boris is doing his best in a tough situation, he needs our love and devotion to make a success of our great country, not more MSM nonsense #myPM #BackBoris" at the same time, loads and loads of them are 'football fan' accounts with players as profile pics.

So, personally I think more sockpuppets than bots (that is, one geezer with tons of accounts running them off something like Tweetdeck to automate posting) so part man, part machine is the approach I'm reliably informed. But yeah when they're "thunderclapping" (mass posting the same thing all the time) that's deffo bot tech
What's the point in Twitter? on 14:58 - Jun 30 with 1930 viewsPunteR

What's the point in Twitter? on 14:39 - Jun 30 by robith

So, personally I think more sockpuppets than bots (that is, one geezer with tons of accounts running them off something like Tweetdeck to automate posting) so part man, part machine is the approach I'm reliably informed. But yeah when they're "thunderclapping" (mass posting the same thing all the time) that's deffo bot tech

For what benefit? Money?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What's the point in Twitter? on 15:07 - Jun 30 with 1915 viewsrobith

What's the point in Twitter? on 14:58 - Jun 30 by PunteR

For what benefit? Money?

Mostly creating a false political consensus paid for by dark money
What's the point in Twitter? on 16:43 - Jun 30 with 1837 viewslarsricchi

I use Twitter to follow musicians, a few writers, and footballers/football news. I try to stay in those lanes, and even then I can find myself going down a rabbit hole of insanity (in other words, the reply threads) when one of them quote-tweets something that is political/controversial/divisive.

I did have a very lovely interaction with Reeves Gabrels (former Bowie/current Cure guitarist) on there that I'll always remember. I posted a photo of my son at his first Cure show, and Reeves retweeted it and replied something to the effect of "I'm so happy you came to see us and I hope you and your son made some good memories that day." That's the sort of Twitter that keeps me around.

(Deleted Facebook. Use Instagram to post some of my better photography efforts, not myself. Not hip to other platforms, which is just as well.)
What's the point in Twitter? on 18:27 - Jun 30 with 1713 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Another nice site for the feed.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What's the point in Twitter? on 19:43 - Jun 30 with 1652 viewsw7r

What's the point in Twitter? on 09:45 - Jun 29 by PlanetHonneywood

I don’t want or need Twitter.

But I’m very close to getting an account solely to contact/shame British Airways. I’m not going to sully this board with my ongoing issues with them, but a friend who used to work for them said: if you want a response and for that response to result in ‘action’, then shaming online sees them respond for fear of damaging their brand...which they are more than capable of doing by themselves without my input!

Other than that, Twitter is just another way for the man to monitor and manipulate the masses.

My daughter used it to great effect with BA , she got a response pretty darn quickly from them
What's the point in Twitter? on 20:02 - Jun 30 with 1630 viewsaston_hoop

QPR twitter is a waste of time as mentioned, a mix of kids screaming to sign players and those weird sockpuppet accounts that are always a mix of right wing politics, the same GIFs replying to people and weirdly cropped stolen photos of pints of beer. A very unwell person indeed. But there are plenty of good things when you manage to get your feed just right, so it's not worth letting that put you off, twitter isn't real life after all

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

What's the point in Twitter? on 03:56 - Jul 1 with 1519 viewsSydneyRs

Another good tip is to avoid accounts with flags as part of the user name. Almost always absolute d1ckheads.
What's the point in Twitter? on 09:57 - Jul 1 with 1433 viewsEastR

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThatBloke_Jesus

"It is true that most of my work involves overseeing football results" 😂

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

What's the point in Twitter? on 15:08 - Jul 1 with 1362 viewsderbyhoop

What's the point in Twitter? on 00:21 - Jun 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

Great post but it all sounds like an explanation of why I should have joined Twitter five years ago. What should I be doing now that'll still be relevant in 5 years time?

Given how much things have changed in the last 5 years, if you can predict what happens in the next 5, can you tell me what companies I should invest in.

I once heard the Pres of British Computer Society talking about tech change. He said think of something you see today and try to imagine the effect if it was 10x better. Not sure that applies to social media, though.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024