Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the point in Twitter? 22:12 - Jun 28 with 7080 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

So I don't have a twitter account and never have as far as I remember.

Why should I join now?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:26 - Jun 28 with 3386 viewsozexile

I personally really like Twitter. I just use it as a news site generally. Just follow the topics you like and join a conversation occasionally if you want to. Like life in general there's good people and dicks.
What's the point in Twitter? on 22:32 - Jun 28 with 3359 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:26 - Jun 28 by ozexile

I personally really like Twitter. I just use it as a news site generally. Just follow the topics you like and join a conversation occasionally if you want to. Like life in general there's good people and dicks.

How do I know the topics I will like to follow? Can I not follow topics I don't like?

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:39 - Jun 28 with 3318 viewsozexile

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:32 - Jun 28 by CliveWilsonSaid

How do I know the topics I will like to follow? Can I not follow topics I don't like?

You can follow whatever you like. I generally follow QPR and finance. So on my feed will be all things QPR and finance. I can just scroll through or go into a particular thread and check everyones comments.
What's the point in Twitter? on 22:49 - Jun 28 with 3285 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:39 - Jun 28 by ozexile

You can follow whatever you like. I generally follow QPR and finance. So on my feed will be all things QPR and finance. I can just scroll through or go into a particular thread and check everyones comments.

Similar to me I mainly use the internet for things I like and am interested in.

I use YouTube quite a lot. Much of the content seems to be very right-wing even if I look for alternatives. Is it the same on Twitter?

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:54 - Jun 28 with 3249 viewsozexile

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:49 - Jun 28 by CliveWilsonSaid

Similar to me I mainly use the internet for things I like and am interested in.

I use YouTube quite a lot. Much of the content seems to be very right-wing even if I look for alternatives. Is it the same on Twitter?

It really is varied. Sure, if you follow news sites and there's a story you'll have rw and lw comments from people. Again it's the same as a QPR thread on twitter some people will think Warburton should have been given 10 years more some think he should have been sacked last year. Just set up an account and follow a few people and see how you go.
What's the point in Twitter? on 23:00 - Jun 28 with 3237 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:54 - Jun 28 by ozexile

It really is varied. Sure, if you follow news sites and there's a story you'll have rw and lw comments from people. Again it's the same as a QPR thread on twitter some people will think Warburton should have been given 10 years more some think he should have been sacked last year. Just set up an account and follow a few people and see how you go.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with what I have for now. Maybe if this place closed down I'd think about Twitter.

I just find it hard to find alternative views to my own at the moment.

What's the point in Twitter? on 23:11 - Jun 28 with 3189 viewsozexile

What's the point in Twitter? on 23:00 - Jun 28 by CliveWilsonSaid

Thanks. I think I'll stick with what I have for now. Maybe if this place closed down I'd think about Twitter.

I just find it hard to find alternative views to my own at the moment.

Haha you'll definitely find alternate views on twitter. All the best mate.
What's the point in Twitter? on 23:26 - Jun 28 with 3156 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What's the point in Twitter? on 23:11 - Jun 28 by ozexile

Haha you'll definitely find alternate views on twitter. All the best mate.

Well I just found a Liz Truss fanclub on twitter. Last post was on 10th February...

Login to get fewer ads

What's the point in Twitter? on 23:38 - Jun 28 with 3128 viewsCiderwithRsie

I've dipped my toe in recently, basically because I was interested in a news story that was poorly covered by UK print and broadcast media, and I found an expert who was on Twitter. That led me to others.

Twitter is like books our music, it's not true that its all cr*p, but just as not all books are worth reading or music worth listening to, not everyone who Tweets knows anything. You have to decide what you're interested in and then select people who have something worth saying. Follow NorthernR on Twitter and you'll hear sensible things about QPR, follow some idiot and you'll get nonsense and raise your blood pressure.

If you find yourself following people who keep talking nonsense or are WUMs unfollow/mute/block them ruthlessly. If the good ones retweet others, have a look at them and maybe follow too.

The good thing is that it covers almost any subject. I follow some art galleries and museums, I regularly get sent beautiful pictures and learn stuff, and no-one is shouting or arguing about a thing.

Personally I'd recommend not tweeting much yourself - I do a bit but am trying to cut down. You can kid yourself that anyone else gives a feck about what you say or that winning an argument somehow matters, and that way madness lies. Different if it is something where you genuinely have some expertise obviously.
What's the point in Twitter? on 00:21 - Jun 29 with 3077 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What's the point in Twitter? on 23:38 - Jun 28 by CiderwithRsie

I've dipped my toe in recently, basically because I was interested in a news story that was poorly covered by UK print and broadcast media, and I found an expert who was on Twitter. That led me to others.

Twitter is like books our music, it's not true that its all cr*p, but just as not all books are worth reading or music worth listening to, not everyone who Tweets knows anything. You have to decide what you're interested in and then select people who have something worth saying. Follow NorthernR on Twitter and you'll hear sensible things about QPR, follow some idiot and you'll get nonsense and raise your blood pressure.

If you find yourself following people who keep talking nonsense or are WUMs unfollow/mute/block them ruthlessly. If the good ones retweet others, have a look at them and maybe follow too.

The good thing is that it covers almost any subject. I follow some art galleries and museums, I regularly get sent beautiful pictures and learn stuff, and no-one is shouting or arguing about a thing.

Personally I'd recommend not tweeting much yourself - I do a bit but am trying to cut down. You can kid yourself that anyone else gives a feck about what you say or that winning an argument somehow matters, and that way madness lies. Different if it is something where you genuinely have some expertise obviously.

Great post but it all sounds like an explanation of why I should have joined Twitter five years ago. What should I be doing now that'll still be relevant in 5 years time?

What's the point in Twitter? on 08:28 - Jun 29 with 2829 viewsdmm

I use Twitter in much the same way as CiderwithRsie and find it useful to follow news, politics and QPR. It provides views and stories not featured in mainstream media or other sites I frequent. There is a lot of absolute nonsense on there which I will block/mute/unfollow. I rarely post but will 'like' other's posts and that alone will allow Twitter's algorithms to work out what I want to read.

Probably because of my interests, a lot of stuff in my feed can be 'shouty' and downright depressing. This is partly because people are trying to grab your attention and make their posts look urgent and essential when usually they're not. Also, lots of people want to increase their followers to boost their own ego. So filtering out the rubbish is part of the experience.

If you can make Twitter work for you it's a useful tool.
What's the point in Twitter? on 08:32 - Jun 29 with 2810 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What's the point in Twitter? on 23:38 - Jun 28 by CiderwithRsie

Great post, Cider. Basically saved me typing all of that.

I like Twitter, but mostly because I stick to similar actions to you.

Not sure if there's better alternatives out there, wouldn't be an expert.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What's the point in Twitter? on 08:54 - Jun 29 with 2723 viewsR_from_afar

As with any social media platform, there are mentalists and people pushing fake news and dubious agendas, but it is a great source of the latest information on whatever you are interested in.

As others have said, start by following a few people or organisations you are interested in.

With anything or anyone famous, important or influential, look for the blue tick which indicates that the account is verified, that is, the real one, not a parody.

To get information on a topic which interests you, use hashtags, in other words, stick a # in front of the word, so #QPR.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What's the point in Twitter? on 09:44 - Jun 29 with 2626 viewsMaggsinho

I wouldn't overthink it and worry about how you'll use it in five years time., as others have said, sign up, start following some people/organisations you're interested in and you'll find it will grow organically. Think of it as an edited version of the internet purely for you.

I find it great for breaking news and developing stories, and for forming communities around shared interests - eg QPR, music, local events.
What's the point in Twitter? on 09:45 - Jun 29 with 2624 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I don’t want or need Twitter.

But I’m very close to getting an account solely to contact/shame British Airways. I’m not going to sully this board with my ongoing issues with them, but a friend who used to work for them said: if you want a response and for that response to result in ‘action’, then shaming online sees them respond for fear of damaging their brand...which they are more than capable of doing by themselves without my input!

Other than that, Twitter is just another way for the man to monitor and manipulate the masses.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

What's the point in Twitter? on 09:57 - Jun 29 with 2586 viewsTonto

I read someone say (and excuse the percentages which may be slightly wrong as they are from memory):

20% of users are great and worth engaging in.
20 % of users you may not agree with but can be reasonable or entertaining
60% of users are total morons

didnt make me want to sign up I must say...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

What's the point in Twitter? on 10:05 - Jun 29 with 2536 viewsdanehoop

I see Twitter as the digital age equivalent to writing graffiti on the walls of public toilets. Unlikely to be much of intellectual weight or value in there, but something might make you laugh (but hopefully not enough to pee on your shoes by accident).

Never knowingly understood

What's the point in Twitter? on 10:15 - Jun 29 with 2521 viewsSydneyRs

The best of the social media platforms. Just control who you follow and block or mute the d1ckheads.

Some of the banter on there can be absolutely top drawer. The week after Glasgow Rangers lost the Europa final for example was hugely amusing.

There's some good QPR stuff on there and any news worth knowing is usually on there before it's elsewhere.
What's the point in Twitter? on 10:18 - Jun 29 with 2517 viewsQPR_John

A good question
What's the point in Twitter? on 10:30 - Jun 29 with 2472 viewsrobith

I've always enjoyed twitter, but when it exploded in popularity, and they don't properly enforce the T&Cs it got much worse.

Then I discovered Lists! They make the site so much better. I make a list of topics I like such as QPR , and add account over time (I pick it up from who people on my list RT or comment on) so when I go on I can just browse my lists and not have the algorithim send me deranged QPR tweets or people advocating for a second holocaust.
What's the point in Twitter? on 10:36 - Jun 29 with 2464 viewsJuzzie

If used properly I think all forms of social media have their uses.

Unfortunately they are ruined by the vast majority of utter vacuous, trolling, Wumming, narcissistic, 'bantz', knuckle-dragging dickheads which just makes it such a painful place.

I saw an interesting documentary as Trump rose up to be POTUS and he clearly had no interest in Twitter, he could barely use a smart phone. Then he realised the power of it especially as it seemed to fit the demographic of the vast majority of his supporters. He totally controlled them with Twitter.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2022 10:37]
What's the point in Twitter? on 10:52 - Jun 29 with 2415 viewsdaveB

The dangerous bit of social media is how you will tend to only see news and opinions that they think you will like so if you like a post saying for example Boris Johnson is a prat you will quickly see multiple posts like that with the same opinion, much the same as if you like or reply to something in favour of Johnson you'll get fed loads of pro government/right wing stuff. there is little to no balance and you can see why people have become brainwashed and so now entrenched in their own view.

I made the mistake of falling down a few rabbit holes with it over the years, during brexit and covid it was a pretty dark place and made me quite depressed at times. If you think some of the threads on here get a bit mental you should see it on there.

i now just use it for football and movie news and life feels better

for me Ricky Gervais did the best summary of twitter

What's the point in Twitter? on 11:45 - Jun 29 with 2309 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What's the point in Twitter? on 09:44 - Jun 29 by Maggsinho

I wouldn't overthink it and worry about how you'll use it in five years time., as others have said, sign up, start following some people/organisations you're interested in and you'll find it will grow organically. Think of it as an edited version of the internet purely for you.

I find it great for breaking news and developing stories, and for forming communities around shared interests - eg QPR, music, local events.

I’ve signed up as a work thing for now but just planning to use it very lightly. At least now when there is something I want to look at I can view it fully, without getting locked out.

What's the point in Twitter? on 11:53 - Jun 29 with 2289 viewsSydneyRs

What's the point in Twitter? on 10:52 - Jun 29 by daveB

The dangerous bit of social media is how you will tend to only see news and opinions that they think you will like so if you like a post saying for example Boris Johnson is a prat you will quickly see multiple posts like that with the same opinion, much the same as if you like or reply to something in favour of Johnson you'll get fed loads of pro government/right wing stuff. there is little to no balance and you can see why people have become brainwashed and so now entrenched in their own view.

I made the mistake of falling down a few rabbit holes with it over the years, during brexit and covid it was a pretty dark place and made me quite depressed at times. If you think some of the threads on here get a bit mental you should see it on there.

i now just use it for football and movie news and life feels better

for me Ricky Gervais did the best summary of twitter

Spot on re brexit, it got really toxic then as did Facebook.
What's the point in Twitter? on 11:53 - Jun 29 with 2289 viewsderbyhoop

What's the point in Twitter? on 22:26 - Jun 28 by ozexile

Similar to me.
Follow topics you like and you'll get news rapidly.
Like all social media there are good and bad posters. Remember anything you say is like a postcard to the world.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024