Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 24189 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Guitar playing thread on 08:45 - Feb 2 with 1200 viewsSK_hoops

Guitar playing thread on 12:51 - Dec 15 by R_from_afar

I started trying to teach myself Fu Manchu's "Weird beard" a few years ago and moved on to other songs, but recently, I revisited it, and it's such a great tune to learn.

There's a wicked riff, palm muting, slides, bends, hammer-ons and pull-offs and an interesting solo. It's not that hard to play - it can't be if I can (sort of) play it - and it's an unusual, but catchy, groove-laden rock number.

This is the tab I have been using, it's not totally accurate because the band themselves add in some frills which are missed here, but it's pretty good:
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/fu-manchu/weird-beard-tabs-1904853

Oh, and this is how it should be played:

Such a great song!

That website is very hit or miss.
Guitar playing thread on 18:28 - Feb 4 with 1137 viewsted_hendrix

Check It out.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar playing thread on 18:43 - Feb 4 with 1124 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 08:45 - Feb 2 by SK_hoops

That website is very hit or miss.

Agreed. I have found Songsterr to be more detailed and accurate.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 19:23 - Feb 4 with 1110 viewsSK_hoops

Guitar playing thread on 18:43 - Feb 4 by R_from_afar

Agreed. I have found Songsterr to be more detailed and accurate.

I've not heard of that site. I'll check it out!
Guitar playing thread on 20:19 - Feb 4 with 1084 viewsBluce_Ree

I always go to YouTube to learn a song if there's the option to. I remember tab books back in the day for Metallica etc. all wrong.

Guitar playing thread on 03:35 - Feb 5 with 1028 viewsDannyPaddox

Prince must've listened to a bit of Bill Nelson

Edit: Song from 1976
[Post edited 5 Feb 3:43]
Guitar playing thread on 13:58 - Mar 1 with 895 viewsR_from_afar

Imagine being able to produce this sort of quality playing when you have never heard the track before!

To make it even more difficult, he was asked to do it on a guitar he had never played before. Respect

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 15:08 - Mar 1 with 851 viewsBluce_Ree

It's very good. It being in Em was a bit of a gift to him, and being given a PRS to play on was no hardship, but when it modulated to Gm he didn't miss a beat. And his fast playing at the end was decent.

Login to get fewer ads

Guitar playing thread on 11:11 - Mar 15 with 726 viewscolinallcars

The Arts & Farts section in today's Times has a guitar feature entitled Who Is The Ultimate Guitar God ?

Among the worthies up for discussion - Joan Jett, Graham Coxon, Sheryl Crow and Bruce Springsteen.

Maybe they're being ironic and I'm missing the joke.
Guitar playing thread on 12:33 - Mar 15 with 696 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 11:11 - Mar 15 by colinallcars

The Arts & Farts section in today's Times has a guitar feature entitled Who Is The Ultimate Guitar God ?

Among the worthies up for discussion - Joan Jett, Graham Coxon, Sheryl Crow and Bruce Springsteen.

Maybe they're being ironic and I'm missing the joke.

Indeed. I suppose it depends how long the top guitarist list is but for those you mentioned to be featured on it, it would need to be very lengthy.

With such lists, it often strikes me that the authors have restricted themselves to well known artists, overlooking some incredible players from less popular genres and more obscure bands.

The other thing is that there are guitarists who are phenomenal players and guitarists who have created innovative guitar-based music. My ultimate guitar god would be someone who sits in the intersection of the two. I have the utmost respect for those who can play other artists' music fabulously well, but for me, having contributed something original is equally important.

While I am here, I don't often hear this guitarist get much credit, and yet in terms of playing, he is up there with the very best due to his ability to play both the lead and rhythm sections simultaneously. That takes some doing. Does he have two brains?

Guitar playing thread on 13:41 - Mar 15 with 637 viewsguitarzan

Yes Stanley Jordan brilliant, Martin Taylor also sounds like two guitars playing at the same time. Saw him at Pizza Express close up. Unbelievable
Guitar playing thread on 14:24 - Mar 15 with 613 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 13:41 - Mar 15 by guitarzan

Yes Stanley Jordan brilliant, Martin Taylor also sounds like two guitars playing at the same time. Saw him at Pizza Express close up. Unbelievable

Err, on further investigation, it transpires that Mr Jordan is also a very accomplished pianist, and...get this...he has sometimes played both guitar and piano live, *simultaneously*. Come on, Stanley, be reasonable, give the others a chance, it is possible to go off a person

Here he is, the old show-off. About seven minutes in, it starts to get ridiculous

Guitar playing thread on 15:07 - Mar 15 with 576 viewsBluce_Ree

Stanley Jordan is incredible. Having really struggled to nail jazz, the idea of doing chords and lead and everything harmonising like that is next level. It's as alien to me as being able to do a forward flip or whatever.

BUT guitars don't sound very nice being played two handed like this. Things get messy and out of tune a little even when you're talking about a master like Stanley.

Guitar playing thread on 14:26 - May 8 with 313 viewsBluce_Ree

Mrs Bluce bought me some Gotoh locking tuners last year. I put them on a Harley Benton PRS copy but it was a PIECE OF SHIT. So I took them off (CHORE) and sold it (CHORE but not too bad as even though it was through Wigan, the guy was local).

Anyway, I bought an Ibanez AS53 (essentially a 335 copy but in a satin black finish) and it's become my go to guitar so I finally put the new tuners on it. Man, I can't go back to normal tuners now. Everything feels more stable and string changes are so much easier. You don't even really need to stretch them in. I put them on, tuned them, played for ten mins, re-tuned, left it over night and now they're solid as anything.

I did use some stuff called Big Bends Nut Sauce on the nut. It lubricates things and stops strings get snagged. Is meant to help with tuning stability also.

Guitar playing thread on 15:42 - May 8 with 273 viewsjohncharles

Guitar playing thread on 12:33 - Mar 15 by R_from_afar

Indeed. I suppose it depends how long the top guitarist list is but for those you mentioned to be featured on it, it would need to be very lengthy.

With such lists, it often strikes me that the authors have restricted themselves to well known artists, overlooking some incredible players from less popular genres and more obscure bands.

The other thing is that there are guitarists who are phenomenal players and guitarists who have created innovative guitar-based music. My ultimate guitar god would be someone who sits in the intersection of the two. I have the utmost respect for those who can play other artists' music fabulously well, but for me, having contributed something original is equally important.

While I am here, I don't often hear this guitarist get much credit, and yet in terms of playing, he is up there with the very best due to his ability to play both the lead and rhythm sections simultaneously. That takes some doing. Does he have two brains?

Well, you’d expect a genius to be called Stanley now wouldn’t you.

Strong and stable my arse.

Guitar playing thread on 17:56 - May 8 with 241 viewsted_hendrix

I've got a Fiesta Red Fender Player Plus Strat which came with fitted Fender locking tuners.
They are first class even after a bit of of poorly executed dive bombing with the whammy bar.

Picked the colour because of Hank Marvin.

Guitar playing thread on 23:34 - May 8 with 165 viewsBluce_Ree

Is that different from the classic Candy Apple Red? Hopefully it's not too Bryan Adams.

Guitar playing thread on 23:50 - May 8 with 150 viewscolinallcars

My only claim to fame as an inconsequential guitar player is that I once had a guitar which was owned by Lonnie Donegan, which as we all know was the old Roman name for London.
Guitar playing thread on 23:55 - May 8 with 148 viewsted_hendrix

From about 2;30 Fiesta Red Player Plus Strat HSS.
It's this one.
[Post edited 8 May 23:56]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024