Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tatics 08:23 - Mar 12 with 16838 viewsRuislipHoop

How pleasing to see GA ditch the passing backwards and sideways and be more direct.Some May call it long ball but it suits our boys much more.If we are going to lose the ball better to do it in their half than ours.Great performance,LR was rocking.
Tatics on 17:40 - Mar 12 with 2326 viewsB_Wad

It seems like this is going to be an on-going discussion. Virtually everyone agrees that what took place yesterday was worth three points and was tacticallly astute. As has been pointed out, Watford and other top Championship sides are more athletic and better financially supported. Who on our side would start for Watford? Seny? Field? Lowe? Maybe nobody.

If you are going against a side that is more skilled and you want to get some points you have to find a way to break things up and change the game to something that evens the sides. Yesterday was a textbook example on how to do that.

The problem that seems to be looming is that when listening to GA it sounds like he is saying for the time being we should consider a season where we come in 10th as being successful for a club on our budget. That implies that we might need to be finding ways to "even up" a match fairly often. It isn't negative or unfair to think that not all the support is going to be behind that if that is the way things go.
Tatics on 18:07 - Mar 12 with 2152 viewsSakura

Tatics on 15:44 - Mar 12 by Northernr

You are, not for the first time, letting your dislike of me get the better of you, putting words in my mouth I haven't said, and attributing opinions to me that I do not hold.

I do think it will wear thin if it doesn't deliver results, because QPR fans in general lose patience with direct football quicker than they do a purist-pleasing style when the results go badly. That is what happened with Olly first time around even after everything he'd done here - BostonR won't mind me mentioning this because we've kissed and made up long since but we had a ruck many years back about him saying he hoped we lost an away game at Luton because it would bring Holloway nearer to the sack, and I couldn't believe passing through midfield was so important that a QPR fan would hope QPR lost to Luton Town so a manager who was going very direct, with a very limited team at that point, would lose his job. But, after 28 defeats in 48 games or whatever it is and all that tedious passing around at the back I think wins in whatever form they come at the moment will be very welcome and you saw that in the atmosphere at the game yesterday which was all a vast improvement on anything that we've seen before for literally months now.

I have written frequently, often when we play Russell Martin's Swansea, about this nonsense and often quite snobby attitude that there is a "right way" to play football, and if you beat Martin's team playing directly then you're somehow a philistine and it's some sort of moral victory for them. "If they want to play like that that's up to them" he said in August, after losing 3-0 at home to Blackburn. I've written over and over again that I find Martin's football every bit as dire to watch as Tony Pulis'. Go back and read the season preview section on Swansea. Go back and read the match report from the away game there last season.

I have written frequently about us being too nice, too quiet, too easy to play against, with no edge. Go back and read the passage in the Sunderland match report about Luke O'Nien. How I'm sick of teams bullying referees and shithousing us out of games while we stand around and let it happen, go back and read what I wrote about Todd Cantwell refereeing the game against us at Norwich season before last. How we, whatever you think of it, desperately need a bit of that about us if we're to compete in this league - go back and read the stuff I said when Charlie Austin came back second time around.

I wrote when we hired Ainsworth that all this talk about "the QPR way" was a bit sanctimonious for a club that's been total sht for a full year now, and under Critchley was playing 4-4-2 with Sam Field right wing. That, actually, a bit of bloody pragmatism from Gareth could be just what we need - particularly as we're going to have to put a team together on a smaller wage bill next season. It's still on the front page, go and read it. "With our budget I say we have no choice but to be pragmatists" - you could literally have copied and pasted that from any number of pieces I've written recently around the accounts.

Go and read my match report from Blackburn away last season, or Hull away this, where I ranted on and and on about how fcking tedius it is to go to the other end of the country and watch us do that bloody Dickie to Dunne to Dieng to Dickie to Dunne to Dieng nonsense. In the Hull report I specifically point out how few touches our forward players got in the game, compared to our centre backs, and our desperate need to get the ball in their half more and play further up the field rather than pising about in our own box.

I agree with a lot of your post, and the one before that. You're coming at me giving it "oh you're being negative, you think this and this and this", none of which I actually do think, and then doing ten paragraphs on what I should be thinking, which I then agree with!

There are several other posters on this thread far more outspoken against yesterday's style than me, but no, as per, it's "typical NorthernR" who you come after, and on this occasion you're coming after me for something I don't think and haven't said.

I'm actually alright, you know, generally, as a person. You might find you quite enjoy a beer with me. Your agenda against me is weird at the best of times, but you're now pointing at me and saying "you think the sky is purple, you said the sky is purple, you need to get this purple sky thing out of your head" while I sit here looking at the sky thinking what the fck are you going on about now?

This post has been edited by an administrator

I responded to Brian's comments about not being so accepting of the direct play in the long term and it not being football.

You were the second poster on this thread to agree with that sentiment. Until that point everyone else took the other side

So that's the main reason I took issue with your post. There is also the element that your prominent role means that you have an outsized influence in literally shaping the culture of the fan base. So I am more likely to challenge your thinking than some of the other posters

Brian went with the sentiment. Yesterday was a needs must win BUT longer term that isn't ok to only be doing that many passes or to be doing the shithousing stuff. You began your post with Brian "is right". So I took that to mean you agreed with that sentiment

As I say you have an outsized influence in impacting the culture of this fan base. I would say you deserve credit for helping to provide a neutral (as in not employed by the club) perspective that in an FFP world the culture under the Hughes, Redknapp era style of throwing money aimlessly at any problems was not something we could continue. And got that message across to the fans when it was first needed

And now at the clubs latest crossroads I think that some of the fan base need to recognise that playing the beautiful game isn't as we found this last 14 months under Warburton, Beale and Critchley, that while it has its moments is very hard to sustain with our squad depth. So we need to tip the scales in our favour in other ways and a more direct aggressive and nasty style of play that most teams aren't used to playing. Are no longer coached to play against and just aren't able to play against so well.

Dickie passing to Dunne passing to Field to pass to Dickie again and again got us know where and left us open to losing the ball in dangerous areas. So I am pleased to be reminded that you will be more accepting of us hoofing it up out of those dangerous areas when under any sort of pressure.

The game progresses and their is advantage to be gained in moving ahead of the curve or current norms. The modern game has evolved into a way where the emphasis is on keeping the ball on the floor. That's what most teams are good at. It's why someone like Martinez at 5,8 can play centre back for Argentina and Man United and at times look brilliant. But when Argentina we're cruising against Holland playing pretty football they then threw on Weghorst and booted it up to him and the game changed and chaos ensued and they got back into it

4-4-2 was the formation everyone played here for years so when the first teams started playing 4-2-3-1 and centre backs no longer had their designated striker to fight with it caused chaos and early adopters got success

The game evolved, coaches focused on how to deal with that. And now mobility and dealing with the ball on the floor the thing that most teams excel at. If we can switch it up and so they then need to deal with balls in the air and the ball just pinging around the box as we lob it in. Then we can find our own way to outcompete.

If you can have any impact in helping to shape a culture of acceptance in the club that is maximising our skills at a side of a game that most of the opposition players are weak at and unused to then brilliant.

Your point around I might enjoy a pint with you and you being a good person/ good company. I'm sure that you are. My post is in no way intended to be a dig at you on a personal level. My comments are more focused around what I believe is best for Rangers and my perception that you may have an outsized influence on how the fan base is steered on that.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 18:10]
Tatics on 18:08 - Mar 12 with 2190 viewsTK1

This thread is brilliant. First win since October 22nd yesterday. Five months. First clean sheet since Boxing Day: it's mid-March.

"Ooh, no. Didn't like those tactics. Horrible."

"This winning ugly is going to wear thin very quickly." (Because it's been such luxurious fun for the last 14 months)

Man who has been living off very occasional mouthfuls of cold porridge and warm gulps of water is presented with a full English breakfast.

"Oh I couldn't eat this every day."
Tatics on 18:15 - Mar 12 with 2169 viewsVancouverHoop

Is a meticulous 18th century Dutch still life "better" than Van Gogh's Sunflowers?"

Is a Champions League Final between players whose salaries total the GNP of a small European country on a pitch groomed to perfection, 'better" than an FA Cup qualifying match played by journeymen cloggers in the pouring rain on a mudpatch in darkest Bedfordshire?

The answer to both questions is "no."

The latter are very different in skill level but exactly equal in desire, by both players and their audiences. Skill is one quality, passion another, commitment another, execution yet another.

There is no "right way" to play, or support, football other than to the best of those collective abilities in the particular circumstance.

QPR are not going to be playing in a Champions League Final any time soon. Neither will we be struggling to stay in the Isthmian League South. We have to find success where we are right now. We need to cut our cloth accordingly, become 'a horse for our course' if you like.

Ultimately I really don't care how we play provided it isn't too boring, and it'd be nice if we win more games than we lose.

[Sorry, bit of a rant. Hope it makes sense!]
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 18:19]
Tatics on 18:22 - Mar 12 with 2134 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Really enjoyed catching up on the thread. Agree with so much of what has been said, including the following:

1) Formation was the right call, and coached well
2) Watford were shytehousing too (which I had forgotten - apologies)
3) That as supporters our preferred tactics/style of play differ, and we sometimes change our own minds as well.

Overall, a great effort and a great attitude. Great to see everyone so happy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tatics on 18:31 - Mar 12 with 2074 viewsPaddyhoops

Agree with a lot of what Brian said. It wasn’t great to watch and the Watford fans I spoke to were none to impressed however watching the chuckle brothers ,Dickie and Dunne “To me to you” routine over the last four months with no results was utterly depressing.
Laird , Chair , Willock , Roberts would consider themselves silky players.
We don’t have them at the moment so we work with what we’ve got.
It’s been utterly soul destroying watching this side fail week on week.
We can’t drop down a division. It would be disastrous and if we have to go all Jack Charlton to get us out of trouble, I’m all for it.
The shousing is disappointing but everyone else is doing it so if you can’t beat them join them .
We bullied them yesterday and to see that 7 foot monster Hoedt losing his shit as a result of Martin , Dykes and Armstrong was a joy.
More please.
More of it
Tatics on 18:33 - Mar 12 with 2069 viewslondonscottish

Tatics on 08:42 - Mar 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought the tactics were awful.

I'm glad we stopped with the suicidal passing around the back, I'm delighted with and proud of the effort and teamwork and relieved with the result. That should be us safe now.

But we only completed 124 passes (one very forty seconds!), we feigned injury constantly, started needless arguments and all the other crap that we constantly berate Preston for. That's not football, imho, or anything related to football.
And I fully understand and respect that many of us will think differently.

As Simmo says, maybe it was a case of 'needs must', and maybe it was a one-off.
Maybe also the return of Chair and Willock will see us play a bit more.
Only time will tell, so no point getting overly worried just yet.

Personally, I thought it was hilarious and proper payback for the hundreds of games where we've conceded a goal and had that done to us. Over and over and over again.

It's within the rules of the game and, if you can waste 10 minutes you know the ref will only give 3 or 4 and all that other time the oppo can't (a) build up a head of steam or (b) score.

I was absolutely loving it.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Tatics on 18:46 - Mar 12 with 2026 viewsjoe90

Some real football snobbery on this thread, anyone would think we were Man City pre Ainsworth!

It’s pretty obvious the style of play will wear thin if we don’t get results. We have to play to our strengths and we also need to win games.

Stats are misleading, but if you prefer a certain style of play I don’t understand how you can enjoy watching QPR.

Madness this is even been discussed so soon after a much needed win.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2023 10:48]
Login to get fewer ads

Tatics on 18:52 - Mar 12 with 2005 viewsdm97

QPR don’t win for three months, get that vital win that probably sees us safe - queue 4 page speculative thread about whether a hypothetical scenario in which GAs tactical style (which people are judging on - checks notes - *three* games) goes dry.

We are one strange club, enjoy the win lads
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 18:53]
Tatics on 19:03 - Mar 12 with 1964 viewsHarbour

Quite enjoyed how we were in their face from the off first Martin then Dykes fouled their goalie first 2 every tackle never gave them a moment…goal was deserved and should have had a second. With the resources we have this was the best tactics well done Gareth.
Tatics on 19:24 - Mar 12 with 1907 viewsAndybrat

Guys, 1st home game I have missed all season, sounds like my tactic worked. Be warned am back for Brum so you can blame me. I was following the match thread live from my sun bed and now reading this, it is the same game we are commenting on? Clive I promise to buy you a beer and double check you are a nice guy. Simply put we had to win against a bunch of exPrem players, couldn’t beat them at their own game. I wasn’t a GA supporter re coming in but every interview and Haka convinces me we couldn’t have gone anywhere else. Eze at Wycombe proves he can handle “class” properly and so far changed to 5 at the back in game 3 and worked. So he made the right call in what was really his second game. We have the pretty boys coming back, probably next season for Illy and Willy, but already seen the improvement in Ozzy ( best player vs Blackburn) and you all are saying Aaron Drewe looks good enough. So in one fail swoop we have 2 right backs and 2 left backs of our own as Ozzy can play both sides. Not bad. Only wished I was there but Mrs Andybrat would not have appreciated.
Tatics on 19:26 - Mar 12 with 1899 viewsTheChef

I thought we played some nice stuff at times. In any case I'd rather see some pace and get the ball forward quicker with an intent of attacking the opposition goal:than mucking around with the ball in our half going backwards and sideways.

And the defending was a lot more no nonsense, if in doubt clear the ball. Certainly helped avoid any silly mistakes.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Tatics on 19:41 - Mar 12 with 1860 viewsAntti_Heinola

'There is also the element that your prominent role means that you have an outsized influence in literally shaping the culture of the fan base. So I am more likely to challenge your thinking than some of the other posters'

Pretty much the most insulting thing I've read on this site.

I disagree with lots of people on here, agree with others, but I also think everyone on here (even the ones I've blocked!) is able to make up their own mind on football matters without having their mind fogged by Clive's opinions. What an absolute load of garbage. 'Shaping the culture'. Jesus Christ. Insulting to Clive, insulting to the rest of us.

A lot of people are reading things on this thread that aren't even there. I haven't noticed anything 'snobbish', just sensible debate about style and what different people prefer - and how far *long term* Saturday's style can get you. Here's a thing: there is some kind of point on the spectrum that is neither 'direct ball, go down injured 16 times in a game, surround ref at every opportunity' and 'pass in a triangle between Dickie, Dunne and Dieng all day'. In one season we've actually probably seen both ends of that spectrum - sometimes even in the same match. A 'purist' doesn't necessarily dislike competitive, hard football with some direct attacking; and people who prefer that style will also likely leap about like little kids when we play like we did under Warburton games like first half v Luton (3-2), the Welsh massacres, or a couple of wins under Beale.

We can compete like we did on Saturday AND actually play some nice football too, WHILE acknowledging that passing the ball five hundred times between the centre backs and not going anywhere is no one's idea of a good time.

Other than Sakura, who probably thinks I've been brainwashed by Clive, we can probably all agree on that, yeah?

Bare bones.

Tatics on 19:52 - Mar 12 with 1818 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tatics on 19:41 - Mar 12 by Antti_Heinola

'There is also the element that your prominent role means that you have an outsized influence in literally shaping the culture of the fan base. So I am more likely to challenge your thinking than some of the other posters'

I disagree with lots of people on here, agree with others, but I also think everyone on here (even the ones I've blocked!) is able to make up their own mind on football matters without having their mind fogged by Clive's opinions. What an absolute load of garbage. 'Shaping the culture'. Jesus Christ. Insulting to Clive, insulting to the rest of us.

A lot of people are reading things on this thread that aren't even there. I haven't noticed anything 'snobbish', just sensible debate about style and what different people prefer - and how far *long term* Saturday's style can get you. Here's a thing: there is some kind of point on the spectrum that is neither 'direct ball, go down injured 16 times in a game, surround ref at every opportunity' and 'pass in a triangle between Dickie, Dunne and Dieng all day'. In one season we've actually probably seen both ends of that spectrum - sometimes even in the same match. A 'purist' doesn't necessarily dislike competitive, hard football with some direct attacking; and people who prefer that style will also likely leap about like little kids when we play like we did under Warburton games like first half v Luton (3-2), the Welsh massacres, or a couple of wins under Beale.

We can compete like we did on Saturday AND actually play some nice football too, WHILE acknowledging that passing the ball five hundred times between the centre backs and not going anywhere is no one's idea of a good time.

Other than Sakura, who probably thinks I've been brainwashed by Clive, we can probably all agree on that, yeah?

Excellent summation, Antti.

As ever, the hallmark for any internet conversation is "could you have this chat down the pub?".
This thread would be a great chat down the pub - we agree, we don't, we agree, we don't, we're all half-mad, who cares, whose round is it anyway.

Tatics on 20:52 - Mar 12 with 1708 viewsQPR_Jim

Tatics on 19:26 - Mar 12 by TheChef

I thought we played some nice stuff at times. In any case I'd rather see some pace and get the ball forward quicker with an intent of attacking the opposition goal:than mucking around with the ball in our half going backwards and sideways.

And the defending was a lot more no nonsense, if in doubt clear the ball. Certainly helped avoid any silly mistakes.

Agreed. Getting it forward quickly is much better than passing it between the defence all afternoon, that doesn't mean long ball either can be moved forward quickly with sharp passing and dribbling. Pressing opponents into mistakes and winning the ball back quicker is also a massive improvement.
Tatics on 21:03 - Mar 12 with 1683 viewsWesty75

Tatics on 09:40 - Mar 12 by paulparker

Without sounding all Neil Warnock but give me a game like that any day of the week
Passion, Guts, Tackles and some excitement , I watched palace vs city last night and it nearly sent me into a coma , I’d take Ainsworth style of football all day long

This for me too. Nice to have a bit of good football but at the end of the day I want to see Rangers win football matches, if that means a little bit of agricultural football so be it. People accused Ollie of that but they were some of the most enjoyable seasons at Rangers over the last 25 years. Nice bit of needle in the game to get the crowd up for it doesn’t hurt either. Nice to see us giving it out for a change.
Tatics on 21:32 - Mar 12 with 1585 viewshoopedmonkey

We truly are the demi monde
Tatics on 23:56 - Mar 12 with 1467 viewsPunteR

Tatics on 15:44 - Mar 12 by Northernr

You are, not for the first time, letting your dislike of me get the better of you, putting words in my mouth I haven't said, and attributing opinions to me that I do not hold.

I do think it will wear thin if it doesn't deliver results, because QPR fans in general lose patience with direct football quicker than they do a purist-pleasing style when the results go badly. That is what happened with Olly first time around even after everything he'd done here - BostonR won't mind me mentioning this because we've kissed and made up long since but we had a ruck many years back about him saying he hoped we lost an away game at Luton because it would bring Holloway nearer to the sack, and I couldn't believe passing through midfield was so important that a QPR fan would hope QPR lost to Luton Town so a manager who was going very direct, with a very limited team at that point, would lose his job. But, after 28 defeats in 48 games or whatever it is and all that tedious passing around at the back I think wins in whatever form they come at the moment will be very welcome and you saw that in the atmosphere at the game yesterday which was all a vast improvement on anything that we've seen before for literally months now.

I have written frequently, often when we play Russell Martin's Swansea, about this nonsense and often quite snobby attitude that there is a "right way" to play football, and if you beat Martin's team playing directly then you're somehow a philistine and it's some sort of moral victory for them. "If they want to play like that that's up to them" he said in August, after losing 3-0 at home to Blackburn. I've written over and over again that I find Martin's football every bit as dire to watch as Tony Pulis'. Go back and read the season preview section on Swansea. Go back and read the match report from the away game there last season.

I have written frequently about us being too nice, too quiet, too easy to play against, with no edge. Go back and read the passage in the Sunderland match report about Luke O'Nien. How I'm sick of teams bullying referees and shithousing us out of games while we stand around and let it happen, go back and read what I wrote about Todd Cantwell refereeing the game against us at Norwich season before last. How we, whatever you think of it, desperately need a bit of that about us if we're to compete in this league - go back and read the stuff I said when Charlie Austin came back second time around.

I wrote when we hired Ainsworth that all this talk about "the QPR way" was a bit sanctimonious for a club that's been total sht for a full year now, and under Critchley was playing 4-4-2 with Sam Field right wing. That, actually, a bit of bloody pragmatism from Gareth could be just what we need - particularly as we're going to have to put a team together on a smaller wage bill next season. It's still on the front page, go and read it. "With our budget I say we have no choice but to be pragmatists" - you could literally have copied and pasted that from any number of pieces I've written recently around the accounts.

Go and read my match report from Blackburn away last season, or Hull away this, where I ranted on and and on about how fcking tedius it is to go to the other end of the country and watch us do that bloody Dickie to Dunne to Dieng to Dickie to Dunne to Dieng nonsense. In the Hull report I specifically point out how few touches our forward players got in the game, compared to our centre backs, and our desperate need to get the ball in their half more and play further up the field rather than pising about in our own box.

I agree with a lot of your post, and the one before that. You're coming at me giving it "oh you're being negative, you think this and this and this", none of which I actually do think, and then doing ten paragraphs on what I should be thinking, which I then agree with!

There are several other posters on this thread far more outspoken against yesterday's style than me, but no, as per, it's "typical NorthernR" who you come after, and on this occasion you're coming after me for something I don't think and haven't said.

I'm actually alright, you know, generally, as a person. You might find you quite enjoy a beer with me. Your agenda against me is weird at the best of times, but you're now pointing at me and saying "you think the sky is purple, you said the sky is purple, you need to get this purple sky thing out of your head" while I sit here looking at the sky thinking what the fck are you going on about now?

This post has been edited by an administrator

Stick him on ignore. That's how you deal with this sort of thing.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2023 0:00]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Tatics on 00:25 - Mar 13 with 1449 viewsjonath1

Tatics on 21:32 - Mar 12 by hoopedmonkey

We truly are the demi monde

Oh Bravo.
I actually sat behind that Sarah Bernhardt in T block one time.
But really it is so right. Football clubs today are just the playthings of the irresponsibly rich.
Tatics on 08:51 - Mar 13 with 1292 viewsSakura

Tatics on 19:41 - Mar 12 by Antti_Heinola

This is such a bizarre reaction. Insulting to who? Not to NorthernR?! Pointing out that he has a prominent role in the fan base compared to the average fan. Explain how that is 1) not true? 2) an insult to him?

Seeing as it obviously not an insult to him then you must mean it is an insult to other fans who may have read my post saying he has an outsized influence. Well to put you at ease Antti after you have got so upset.

If anyone is offended that I view him as having a more prominent role my advice to them would be to launch their own website and write match previews, match reports and the odd interview with key club figures and get as many clicks as this site does. Because if you don't do that sorry to say Antti that I will hold the view point that you have a less prominent role

Human society has evolved in a way that makes it an instinct for people to follow the herd. The "bandwagon effect". Thousands of years ago if you were ostracised from a group it greatly decreased your chance of literally surviving. So humans have a strong instinct to support the 'current thing'. It's because of this the writer of our most used fan site Can influence that natural herd mentality instinct

Think the Asch line study, people wearing paper masks on their face during Covid because the news told them too or people getting angry about Andrew Tate and the need to shut down his opinions.

It's the same energy (hope NorthernR sees the funny side that I just compared him to Andrew Tate)

But really it is just a fact that humans are influenced in their opinions by the articles they read. So you are miles off on that point as well

As for the snobbery, I am talking about the comments around it being the 'right way' to play. I see that as snobbish. Joe90's post above is bang on

I also completely agree with your sentiment, "We can compete like we did on Saturday AND actually play some nice football too" and to suggest I feel otherwise is a misunderstanding of the other side of the argument

As I said in my previous post, play pretty football but when the ball is in the right areas
Tatics on 09:36 - Mar 13 with 1245 viewsMrSheen

Just back from a weekend in Kerry. did I miss anything?

QPR are my one and only team. If people ask me if I like football, I say, not so much, mostly only QPR. Outside of the World Cup (which was much better than I expected), I hardly watch any on TV. RuPaul and Lorraine Kelly could be presenting Match of the Day for all I know. I've been a season-ticket holder since Covid, for the first time since Paulo Sousa (did I miss anything?) mostly as a way to stay connected with my son. Even then, it's not going to stop me doing something else if I feel like it. I have family responsibilities and other interests.

Frankly, even 23 games a season is too much for me, I couldn't wander the country, laying down £150+ and 16 hours every other week. Not having to do that insulates me from the boiling frustration and rage felt by those who do. You're seething in the rain in Rotherham, or Middlesbrough, I put a podcast on and go for a walk, the bad news can wait. Master Sheen was on the text to me from V Block as I walked around Derrynane on Saturday, and I was torn between checking for updates every minute or avoiding the jinx.

I've always been afraid of contempt as an emotion than can take over your life and destroy all connection to the people and things that you love. When I feel it taking hold, the best thing for me is to walk away until the passion calms down as from what I've seen it's so hard to uproot. Easy for me to say when I wear my support so much more lightly than many, but I see it in the hatred many of our fans have always had for some of our players and it has inevitably increased on here with our dire form - including Clive's reports, where the loathing for many/most of our squad and management has been clear.

It's not that I think you're wrong in your analysis, I worry what it does to you all, to find so much hateful and disgusting in what is supposed to bring you pleasure. As if this hasn't been corny enough, I hate feeling that way about our players too (Mark Hateley the only ever exception). I can't see them as thieving gutless parasites, I see them as bigger versions of the kids I used to coach. Dickie and Dozzell (or Scowen, Rose, Pacquette, Rehman, Nygaard, Dichio, etc) aren't piss-taking saboteurs, they're flawed (or why else would they play for us?) players who need confidence, leadership and coaching to perform to the potential they all have to help us win. What's the one that fans can influence? What colour shirt are they wearing?

On the tactics, Warbsball and early Beale (for all the vitriol he's rightly attracted, we'd been sunk by now if he hadn't been such a good coach) were wonderful at their best, but we went for broke and now we're...broke. Just Win Baby is the only option open to us, and we're lucky we have an energetic and creative coach willing to risk his reputation with us to deliver it rather than hope Mick or Neil can get one more tune out of the old piano.

See you Saturday.
Tatics on 09:45 - Mar 13 with 1206 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tatics on 09:36 - Mar 13 by MrSheen

QPR are my one and only team. If people ask me if I like football, I say, not so much, mostly only QPR. Outside of the World Cup (which was much better than I expected), I hardly watch any on TV. RuPaul and Lorraine Kelly could be presenting Match of the Day for all I know. I've been a season-ticket holder since Covid, for the first time since Paulo Sousa (did I miss anything?) mostly as a way to stay connected with my son. Even then, it's not going to stop me doing something else if I feel like it. I have family responsibilities and other interests.

Frankly, even 23 games a season is too much for me, I couldn't wander the country, laying down £150+ and 16 hours every other week. Not having to do that insulates me from the boiling frustration and rage felt by those who do. You're seething in the rain in Rotherham, or Middlesbrough, I put a podcast on and go for a walk, the bad news can wait. Master Sheen was on the text to me from V Block as I walked around Derrynane on Saturday, and I was torn between checking for updates every minute or avoiding the jinx.

I've always been afraid of contempt as an emotion than can take over your life and destroy all connection to the people and things that you love. When I feel it taking hold, the best thing for me is to walk away until the passion calms down as from what I've seen it's so hard to uproot. Easy for me to say when I wear my support so much more lightly than many, but I see it in the hatred many of our fans have always had for some of our players and it has inevitably increased on here with our dire form - including Clive's reports, where the loathing for many/most of our squad and management has been clear.

It's not that I think you're wrong in your analysis, I worry what it does to you all, to find so much hateful and disgusting in what is supposed to bring you pleasure. As if this hasn't been corny enough, I hate feeling that way about our players too (Mark Hateley the only ever exception). I can't see them as thieving gutless parasites, I see them as bigger versions of the kids I used to coach. Dickie and Dozzell (or Scowen, Rose, Pacquette, Rehman, Nygaard, Dichio, etc) aren't piss-taking saboteurs, they're flawed (or why else would they play for us?) players who need confidence, leadership and coaching to perform to the potential they all have to help us win. What's the one that fans can influence? What colour shirt are they wearing?

On the tactics, Warbsball and early Beale (for all the vitriol he's rightly attracted, we'd been sunk by now if he hadn't been such a good coach) were wonderful at their best, but we went for broke and now we're...broke. Just Win Baby is the only option open to us, and we're lucky we have an energetic and creative coach willing to risk his reputation with us to deliver it rather than hope Mick or Neil can get one more tune out of the old piano.

See you Saturday.

Fine post, Sheener. Lovely writing, and a great outlook.

Tatics on 09:56 - Mar 13 with 1170 viewsMrSheen

Tatics on 09:45 - Mar 13 by BrianMcCarthy

Fine post, Sheener. Lovely writing, and a great outlook.

Thank you Brian, but easy for me to say...
Tatics on 10:14 - Mar 13 with 1116 viewsEastR

Tatics on 13:20 - Mar 12 by Antti_Heinola

Lovely debate, but it'd probably be wise to not put too much stock in a single performance by a team shorn of many of it's better players against a team that cost tens of millions to assemble with a brand new manager.

Last December the first post on here after the Preston game was about how Critchley was the man, he'd made big changes, it was a great win, he'd solved a few problems already. Said it then and say it now: we're all far too influenced by results at times to analyse a performance. Lose - we were awful. Win, we were great. There was almost no difference to me between Preston and Cardiff games except Dunne got one in with his knee, but the reaction to them was poles apart.

Yes we played more safety first yesterday, although first half I thought we played very intelligently with the ball too. But the biggest difference, and one which we should keep whether we play from the back sometimes (nothing wrong with that) or play more direct other times (nothing wrong with that), was the pressing, the desire to win the ball, to snap into tackles, to chase back, to harry. That was why we won yesterday. Some of the timewasting was unnecessary I felt, some was genuine. I hope we're not going to become that sort of side that over-relies on 'gamesmanship', but we desperately needed a win, however it came about. As Clive said, we can worry about nuance later.

Excellent summary of what was most effective on Sat — we won because we didn’t give them a moments peace, wound them up, and imposed our game plan on them.

I also think everyone needs to go back and have a look at our goal again. Watford play out from the back, we press them, turnover and Iroegbunam picks up the ball on the half way line, making a surging run, beats a couple of players and scores. The ball never leaves the ground. A very well executed goal.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Tatics on 10:35 - Mar 13 with 1033 viewsfrancisbowles

Tatics on 09:36 - Mar 13 by MrSheen

See you Saturday.

Excellent post Mr Sheen.

Like you, I was away for this one but I have the bug big time, hate missing a match, so had to arrange Saturday around the match, and buy and watch the stream.

Pleased that I did and hope that we both get a positive experience when we return to the Bush on Saturday.

Oh! You forgot Boswa*nka
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024