Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Pigbag became our goal song? 12:02 - Apr 27 with 2741 viewsQPR99

Hello all,

I’ve been fascinated for years by the use of music at Loftus Road.
Three classics in my opinion:
The Clash - London Calling - Heard before games. Makes sense lyrically, riles up the crowd, Mick Jones a QPR fan I think?
Jeff Beck - Hi Ho Silver Lining - Great vibe after a win, I read that there was a woman, Daphne, Secretary of the Supporters Club, who always loved it at Player of the Season Dinner & Dance and started being used as a tribute.

And then finally: Pigbag - Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag.
I’m hoping that someone knows a bit about how this became our goal song, and that it’s not just that we stole it from some other club. I’ve started running an archive online documenting bits about new wave/post punk stuff, so would love to make a video about how this song became a Loftus Road classic if anyone would be up for a chat about it.

-Rob
How Pigbag became our goal song? on 12:05 - Apr 27 with 2712 viewsdaveB

They first started goal music in the 97/98 season, used to play eat my goal after we scored then it changed to pigbag the following season I think

We had been singing pig bag for a few seasons, think it started at Liverpool away in 1994
How Pigbag became our goal song? on 12:07 - Apr 27 with 2687 viewsSuperhoop83

I have no idea why we adopted Pigbag but I'm pretty sure it was around 1995, just before we went downhill, and I've always disliked it for that reason.

Suffering since 1978.

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 12:30 - Apr 27 with 2600 viewsStanisgod

Did we steal it from Boro or vica versa?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 13:07 - Apr 27 with 2537 viewsngbqpr

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 12:30 - Apr 27 by Stanisgod

Either way, as Boro use the odious 'remake' by self-styled uber DJ and Chelsea supporting Paul Oakenfold, we retain the moral high ground.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 13:13 - Apr 27 with 2517 viewsTonto

we ran out to Tina Turner's "simply the best" for a while before Pigbag. Karl Ready was the captain at the time. you can draw your own conclusions.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 13:14 - Apr 27 with 2515 viewsloftboy

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 12:30 - Apr 27 by Stanisgod

Rumour hasn’t that Boro started to use it after they heard it 5 times in one game at Loftus road.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 14:26 - Apr 27 with 2421 viewsSuperhoop83

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 13:14 - Apr 27 by loftboy

Rumour hasn’t that Boro started to use it after they heard it 5 times in one game at Loftus road.

What a night that was.

Then again, who could ever stop Kennedy, Sheron and Bruce in full flow?

Suffering since 1978.

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 14:50 - Apr 27 with 2363 viewsDannyPaddox

I believe XTC has some first hand knowledge of the Pigbag provenance.
Login to get fewer ads

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 15:20 - Apr 27 with 2298 viewsGaryBannister86

Goal music = modern rubbish.

Used to love the old scoreboard and those strange fat alien/ghost shapes waving their arms about.

Or is my memory playing tricks?
How Pigbag became our goal song? on 15:22 - Apr 27 with 2274 viewsTonto

it was a face and arms, rather than an alien, although the graphics were pretty crap, so its hard to tell.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 15:23 - Apr 27 with 2265 viewsGaryBannister86

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 15:22 - Apr 27 by Tonto

it was a face and arms, rather than an alien, although the graphics were pretty crap, so its hard to tell.

Oh yeah! Thanks, I can picture it now. Pac-man stuff.
How Pigbag became our goal song? on 15:25 - Apr 27 with 2254 viewsHayesender

Harold Bishop aka Neil started it away to Everton I believe probably around 94ish.

He just started belting it out, and it stuck.

Middlesbrough started doing it after we beat them 5-1.

Ps, I hate it

Poll: Shamima Beghum

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 16:24 - Apr 27 with 2134 viewsqprxtc

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 14:50 - Apr 27 by DannyPaddox

I believe XTC has some first hand knowledge of the Pigbag provenance.

Yes Daniel. Most certainly do.

It started in Woodys club in Westbourne Park around 1992/93. At the end of the night the DJ on the top floor would play the 12" of Pigbag and after a few weeks a few of us started drunkenly pogoing around to it.

We started doing it on trains to away games (without pogoing) and one weekend stopover in Blackpool for Everton, Harold picked up on it with us and it went on from there.

Sorry you hate it Dave, i still like the record. Just be thankful it wasn't an XTC song.
How Pigbag became our goal song? on 16:41 - Apr 27 with 2087 viewsLongsufferingR

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 14:26 - Apr 27 by Superhoop83

What a night that was.

Then again, who could ever stop Kennedy, Sheron and Bruce in full flow?

"Then again, who could ever stop Kennedy, Sheron and Bruce in full flow?"

Most teams could to be honest.
How Pigbag became our goal song? on 17:31 - Apr 27 with 2017 viewsngbqpr

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 16:24 - Apr 27 by qprxtc

Yes Daniel. Most certainly do.

It started in Woodys club in Westbourne Park around 1992/93. At the end of the night the DJ on the top floor would play the 12" of Pigbag and after a few weeks a few of us started drunkenly pogoing around to it.

We started doing it on trains to away games (without pogoing) and one weekend stopover in Blackpool for Everton, Harold picked up on it with us and it went on from there.

Sorry you hate it Dave, i still like the record. Just be thankful it wasn't an XTC song.

We should access the whole XTC catalogue, and choose tracks based on the moment.

For this season, I nominate:

"And we've got 1-2-3-4-5...defenders working o-vertime..."

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 17:54 - Apr 27 with 1970 viewsE15Hoop

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 17:31 - Apr 27 by ngbqpr

We should access the whole XTC catalogue, and choose tracks based on the moment.

For this season, I nominate:

"And we've got 1-2-3-4-5...defenders working o-vertime..."

I like "Towers of London" a lot, and I think we should adopt it as a nod to Grenfell.
How Pigbag became our goal song? on 19:37 - Apr 27 with 1827 viewsHastings_Hoops

Definitely celebrated to pigbag at Portman road in April 1995… pretty sure it was newish back then
How Pigbag became our goal song? on 19:45 - Apr 27 with 1812 viewsNorthLondonR

How Pigbag became our goal song? on 19:37 - Apr 27 by Hastings_Hoops

Definitely celebrated to pigbag at Portman road in April 1995… pretty sure it was newish back then

I clearly remember that game as well, had to sit opposite in the home end, but the rangers were singing loud and proud.

A former colleague when I worked at sainsburys in Ipswich commented on the chant a few years later when I told him I was rangers
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024