Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music debate... 13:44 - May 18 with 7501 viewsjoe90

I know this forum is full of music heads so I thought I'd put this question to you...

Do you agree with David Bowie's view on the Beatles? - See video below:

I think the Beatles are massively overrated. They've got some great songs/albums, but Bowie is right, you don't see their influence in modern music. So much better stuff going on when the Beatles were around.
Music debate... on 20:16 - May 25 with 782 viewsbaz_qpr

So I'll weigh in. Cards on the table love music, worked in the industry for a bit had a couple of bands, discovered dance music in the nineties , write music myself (though not that great Flash Ryan on Spotify you be the judge)

My tastes are pretty eclectic from 60's bands Kinks, Byrds, Hendrix, Motown and Soul, 70's Funk, Pink Floyd, Disco, 80's New Romantics /Synth Wave, Indie, Smiths Shoegaze, 90's House Techno, EDM, Electronica 00's Indie etc etc.

Basically there is great, good and bad in most genre's.

Love Bowie he's done some great stuff across many years, and some rubbish too.

The irony of this interview is that its from the time of Oasis who frankly are a Beatles tribute act (not a fan as you might tell) and is also from a period when Bowie was all in on Techno, drum and bass etc.

For me there is no doubt Beatles are one of the absolute greats, for many many reasons. Brilliant song writers across multiple types of song too. Pushed the envelope in Music, song structure, sound engineering etc yes there is some rubbish but its massively out weighed by innovative pop/rock songs that everyone still knows today and their music will be around for ever.
Music debate... on 21:34 - May 25 with 708 viewsSonic_Hoop

I wasn't much of a Beatles fan in my youth, I'm still not really. But having listened to them on very expensive audio equipment and in various medicated states my appreciation of them has grown over the years. I hadn't appreciated their experimentation with sound, tech and genres and who knows what they might have gone on to produce. Quite amazing how young and how brief their time was.

I think Bowie has a point about what I saw recently described as "outsider music" having a strong influence, but it's not a surprise that what appears to be a different sound would be the one that influences you.
Music debate... on 08:22 - May 26 with 658 viewsBluce_Ree

Music debate... on 13:56 - May 25 by robith

You have a real thing about boy bands, Bluce, it's not healthy.

People love blink 182 because they grew up with their music and it meant a lot to them at the time, it's not that deep. No one views them as influential or incredible musicians, they just made songs people like.

I would also heavily dispute your characterisation of them, but as our discussion have yielded on this thread - you're allowed to not like an artist's music without character assassinating them!

Out of interest, what do you actually like?

My issue with Blink is that they present as a punk band. Especially the drummer. He looks like he should be in some sort of NYHC band from the '80s and he's such a good player but it's wasted on that pop nonsense.

With that said, I really like the song Always by them.

I like lots of things. Music is everything to me but the problem is that as much as I love a lot of stuff, I really hate the bands I hate. Like, no lie, I'd be happy to see the unholy trinity (Simply Red, M-People, Lighthouse Family) sent to the Hague on musical war crimes.

This is going to sound like bullshit but this happened two Sundays ago. I was in ASDA and they started playing a Simply Red song and I walked out for five minutes. I don't need that shit in my head. So yeah, I'm a bit ridiculous but I am who I am.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Music debate... on 14:44 - May 27 with 605 viewsEsox_Lucius

Music debate... on 21:34 - May 25 by Sonic_Hoop

I wasn't much of a Beatles fan in my youth, I'm still not really. But having listened to them on very expensive audio equipment and in various medicated states my appreciation of them has grown over the years. I hadn't appreciated their experimentation with sound, tech and genres and who knows what they might have gone on to produce. Quite amazing how young and how brief their time was.

I think Bowie has a point about what I saw recently described as "outsider music" having a strong influence, but it's not a surprise that what appears to be a different sound would be the one that influences you.

For an experience, see if you can get hold of a half speed master of ABBA's The Visitors or Voulez Vous albums and play them on some decent hi end equipment. Whether you like them of not the sound staging and production were on a different level.
It's very popular to dismiss ABBA but, IMO, you are depriving yourself of real musical and song writing talent should you do so.

The grass is always greener.

Music debate... on 12:00 - May 28 with 541 viewsLadbrokeR

I’ve never really been a Beatles fan. I’m early sixties and when I was growing up I always associated them with my mum and dads age group. As I have become older I,vet learned to tolerate them. Clearly they have influenced people. I was a soul boy and I got to Bowie a bit later than some and found myself drawn to albums like young Americans, Low, beauty and the beast, station to station and worked back. Bowie certainly borrowed elements of a genre but never in my opinion imitated.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024