Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What about the budgies? 08:20 - Aug 14 with 8476 viewsdmm

What is Ainsworth going to do on Wednesday night? There's plenty to mull over such as player fitness and Saturday's upcoming game, but he'll want to keep the positivity going for the first home game of the season, even if it is an early dead water buffalo match.

It would be great to field the same team as we saw on Saturday but are they all fit enough to play again 3 days later in an arguably more important match? I think they should be but still, I suspect we'll see a few benched. Which players come in is the conundrum.

Someone said Norwich can field a strong 2nd team. Is that right?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 8:22]
What about the budgies? on 13:34 - Aug 14 with 2571 viewsLoftgirl

What about the budgies? on 11:25 - Aug 14 by stainrods_elbow

I,. by contrast, recall with a perpetual frisson the joys of our 1982 Cup run (CLive Allen's late winner vs Palace anyone?), the nape-hair thrill of 'Abide with Me' at Wembley, and the bitter, ref-assisted robbery of the replay. I guess we're about as different kinds of fans as fans can be and still be fans.

I still have the VHS of that replay. Never watched it.
What about the budgies? on 13:38 - Aug 14 with 2539 viewsngbqpr

A thread to be filed in the "Who'd be a Manager?" folder (Cup ties sub-section).

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

What about the budgies? on 14:23 - Aug 14 with 2420 viewsstainrods_elbow

What about the budgies? on 11:58 - Aug 14 by DavieQPR

In the 70's we played the same number of games as now, 46 plus cup, but at a much slower pace and fitness level. Having watched football for seven decades the sport is as different as mens/womens football today. They both play the same game but.....
(Had put almost seven decades in there then realised it was seven. Coronation year 1953.

I've been watching the game for five decades too, and think some of the differences about speed and physicality etc. are exaggerated. Squads were also far less rotated. The game was also more attritional then in many ways, the pitches were often horrible and heavy, but the players also just 'got on with it' much more honestly and less resentfully than today's snowflakes imo.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

What about the budgies? on 14:45 - Aug 14 with 2386 viewsfrancisbowles

What about the budgies? on 10:58 - Aug 14 by TheChef

Agreed, they all need minutes on the pitch at this stage of the season. I don't quite understand all this loading malarkey - are players more fragile than they used to be? Surely if anything with advances in sports science they should be more robust?

I mean 40 years ago Villa won the title using just fourteen players all season.

Loading is a new one but Armstrong and Smyth were used very sparingly in pre season, we all thought PS was injured, but now they are involved and contributing effectively on Saturday.
What about the budgies? on 14:46 - Aug 14 with 2378 viewsHAYESBOY

Will Colback be able to get some minutes? He must have enjoyed himself in the summer.

Smells like a trout farm in here

What about the budgies? on 14:48 - Aug 14 with 2369 viewsfrancisbowles

What about the budgies? on 14:23 - Aug 14 by stainrods_elbow

I've been watching the game for five decades too, and think some of the differences about speed and physicality etc. are exaggerated. Squads were also far less rotated. The game was also more attritional then in many ways, the pitches were often horrible and heavy, but the players also just 'got on with it' much more honestly and less resentfully than today's snowflakes imo.

Still in denial.

Sports science has moved on, it barely existed then, and the reason that things were as they were is that we didn't know any better.
What about the budgies? on 14:52 - Aug 14 with 2339 viewsbosh67

Jude

Uncle Spark Gubbins Larkeche

Trialist Pedder Trialist Dixon Dock-Green

Kellman Willock's hamstrings

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What about the budgies? on 15:46 - Aug 14 with 2151 viewskensalriser

What about the budgies? on 14:23 - Aug 14 by stainrods_elbow

And loads of them ended up with lifelong debilitating health conditions as a result.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

What about the budgies? on 16:29 - Aug 14 with 2028 viewsstainrods_elbow

What about the budgies? on 14:48 - Aug 14 by francisbowles

Still in denial.

Sports science has moved on, it barely existed then, and the reason that things were as they were is that we didn't know any better.

I'm not in denial about anything, Mr Put-Down Merchant. Try to consider someone who's been watching the game at least as long as you might take a different view. Read Pat Nevin's biography for some footballing context - superfit, committed, a real love for the game, and often facing far more arduous schedules than today's players. What it shows you is how the politics around today's game have changed much more than the game itself. (And as far as I know, he's not now on crutches!)
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 17:55]

What about the budgies? on 16:31 - Aug 14 with 2017 viewsstainrods_elbow

What about the budgies? on 15:46 - Aug 14 by kensalriser

And loads of them ended up with lifelong debilitating health conditions as a result.

See my answer above - a lot more of them didn't! For a bit more context for those who need it, what we're talking about on this thread is why some of our lot are blowing out of their arses after 70 minutes in the 2nd game of the season. It's shocking!
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 16:33]

What about the budgies? on 16:33 - Aug 14 with 2007 viewsBrianWilson

Fox and Cook had no real preseason. Would be tempted to start them with Colback unless they feel the rest would work better for them.

Would rest Armstrong and Smyth. Two players that seem a bit fragile atm and not worth risking.

Begovic

Kakay Cook Fox
Drewe Colback SDM Larkeche
Richards Chair
Dykes
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 16:38]

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

What about the budgies? on 16:34 - Aug 14 with 2001 viewsNorthernr

Nice to see this thread back for 23/24. Good early Pat Nevin action too.
What about the budgies? on 17:34 - Aug 14 with 1849 viewsHooping_Mad

But if we try to win the game and fail? Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I would say don't risk Archer as one of his shoulders could go off again, rest Dykes, Illy, Smyth and Sinclair.

Give the defence an extra game to work together and rotate where needs be, try and give Kelman some minutes, We don't have to throw it away to be tactical.

We can't lecture players about mentality and then tell them not to worry. Standards have to be maintained.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

What about the budgies? on 17:41 - Aug 14 with 1822 viewsBoston

Budgie's - we're going to need Faith.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What about the budgies? on 18:07 - Aug 14 with 1745 viewsstainrods_elbow

What about the budgies? on 16:34 - Aug 14 by Northernr

Nice to see this thread back for 23/24. Good early Pat Nevin action too.

Quite so, Northern! He might be Chelsea, and a bit too politically 'clean' for some palates, but Nevin's an intelligent guy who's a real counter-example to all the snowflakery in/about the modern game. For the record, I'm glad that modern players don't get cortisone-d up to their eyeballs too, but that doesn't change the fact that 'loading' is a load of cobblers, our legitimate expectations as fans of players, uh, playing, are being industrially eroded, and the likes of JCS and many others at QPR in recent times shame both the club and the game.

See also my old mucker Simon Stainrod on the character-unbuilding cancer of modern football:

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-wearing-qprs-number-10-shirt-meant-

'The big thing for us at halftime when we played with just one sub, was deciding which player had the worst injury and had to come off. I just think that courage, determination and character from players now is sometimes not there any more. They say now that players are quicker and faster, but you can only be so much quicker, and the way that modern-day TV is these days it makes the game look quicker. When we were televised we probably had two cameras at a game, so it looks slower, and you also had the pitch conditions to take into account. A player like Eddie Gray would take players on for Leeds United for fun, and he had perfect timing and control. If he played today he could do it wearing a blindfold. Football has gone down a very athletic route, with data and analysis for everything, but at the end of the day, the teams with the most technical players win the trophies. The game has changed. I preferred the old game and I am not jealous playing in this era. I played football to have fun, entertain people.'

You know who you are, take note from a lavishly talented, bullshit-free R!!
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 16:42]

What about the budgies? on 21:07 - Aug 14 with 1636 viewsBushRanger82

We field a weakened side on Wednesday night, and lose, bowing out yet again, at the first bloody hurdle, then that win at Cardiff will count for fack all.
What about the budgies? on 22:20 - Aug 14 with 1502 viewsthehat

Play your best 11 - We may well lose Saturday anyway so lets give Norwich a bloody good game.

Worry about Saturday after Wednesday.

I find it strange that professional players can’t play Saturday and midweek especially this early in the season. Its also the best way to get match fit.

We will probably play a weak side Wednesday and still get beat Saturday.
What about the budgies? on 22:21 - Aug 14 with 1498 viewsconnell10

I'm going to this as I couldn't get a ticket for the Watford game ....thank gawd! So I'm kinda hoping we will at least put out a semi strong team.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

What about the budgies? on 00:55 - Aug 15 with 1413 viewsBoston

What about the budgies? on 15:46 - Aug 14 by kensalriser

Yes, most of 'em smoked.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What about the budgies? on 03:21 - Aug 15 with 1374 viewsFredManRave

It's a no win situation.

Not helped by the fact their keeper has bigger gloves, what with the 6 fingers n'all.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

What about the budgies? on 08:27 - Aug 15 with 1271 viewsRs_Holy

What about the budgies? on 21:07 - Aug 14 by BushRanger82

We field a weakened side on Wednesday night, and lose, bowing out yet again, at the first bloody hurdle, then that win at Cardiff will count for fack all.

alternatively we play our strongest team, lose on penalties and have a couple of crucial players pull up with injuries... My biggest concern is the defence (with Dunn and Glass-Salter being out for a while). We cannot afford to lose Fox or Cook at this moment in time. I would like to see those 2 rested and maybe Gubbins and Paal play as CB's? ... probably wont work but means we should have Cook and Fox for the Ipswich game.
What about the budgies? on 08:31 - Aug 15 with 1250 viewsTheChef

What about the budgies? on 08:27 - Aug 15 by Rs_Holy

alternatively we play our strongest team, lose on penalties and have a couple of crucial players pull up with injuries... My biggest concern is the defence (with Dunn and Glass-Salter being out for a while). We cannot afford to lose Fox or Cook at this moment in time. I would like to see those 2 rested and maybe Gubbins and Paal play as CB's? ... probably wont work but means we should have Cook and Fox for the Ipswich game.

If you keep going into every game worried about players getting injured, then you shouldn't be playing football in the first place.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

What about the budgies? on 13:23 - Aug 15 with 1082 viewsderbyhoop

I wouldn't object to a few changes, especially as a number of players looked out on their feet by the end, on Saturday.

Gubbins for Fox; Larkeche for Paal. Maybe EDB for Chair and SDM as defensive midfield. GA to be guided by sports science people.
But winning is a good habit, so I want it taken seriously.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What about the budgies? on 15:56 - Aug 15 with 935 viewsenfieldargh

What about the budgies? on 13:07 - Aug 14 by Northernr

Would like to see Sideshow Rayan for a bit.

Why this nickname?

No comprendez

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

What about the budgies? on 16:00 - Aug 15 with 919 viewsLanhoop

What about the budgies? on 15:56 - Aug 15 by enfieldargh

Why this nickname?

No comprendez

Not watched the Simpson's then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024