Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Mcclean poppy 20:05 - Nov 11 with 4060 viewsWeaverQPR

Disrespectful?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/9670534/Sunderland-co

@WeavQPR

James Mcclean poppy on 20:07 - Nov 11 with 2690 viewsPlumsteadQPR

Not in the slightest. People fought and died to defend liberty and freedom of thought, speech and action. To say that somebody must do something would denigrate that sacrifice.
James Mcclean poppy on 20:13 - Nov 11 with 2656 viewsHayesender

If that had been a Muslim player, Argentine or German, it would be all over the press and people would be going mad.

Maybe if he feels so strongly towards the British, he should go and ply his trade in the league of Ireland!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McClean poppy on 20:15 - Nov 11 with 2648 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James Mcclean poppy on 20:13 - Nov 11 by Hayesender

If that had been a Muslim player, Argentine or German, it would be all over the press and people would be going mad.

Maybe if he feels so strongly towards the British, he should go and ply his trade in the league of Ireland!

Who said that he feels strongly towards the British? I love the British but I didn't wear a poppy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

James Mcclean poppy on 20:15 - Nov 11 with 2647 viewsJigsore

James Mcclean poppy on 20:13 - Nov 11 by Hayesender

He was too good for the Northern Irish league lol

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

James Mcclean poppy on 20:16 - Nov 11 with 2637 viewsJamie

The British Army doesn't have the best history in Derry, and as said, soldiers gave their lives so that people could have the freedom to choose how to live their lives.

The constantly morally outraged brigade are predictably overdoing it.
James McClean poppy on 20:19 - Nov 11 with 2605 viewsHayesender

James McClean poppy on 20:15 - Nov 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Who said that he feels strongly towards the British? I love the British but I didn't wear a poppy.

It's called respect for those that fought against tyranny.

Maybe he should read up on Irish history to see how many Irish lads fought and died alongside their British counterparts

James McClean poppy on 20:22 - Nov 11 with 2587 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McClean poppy on 20:19 - Nov 11 by Hayesender

Maybe he should read up on Irish history to see how many Irish lads fought and died alongside their British counterparts

That's what you call it and fair play to you. If McClean has a different opinion on wearing a poppy then I won't guess what it is. And I wouldn't presume that it derives from disrepect.

James Mcclean poppy on 20:25 - Nov 11 with 2552 viewsPlumsteadQPR

If he didn't want to wear it he shouldn't have to wear it - just like anybody else. The hysteria that has grown up around poppies over the last couple of years is a f@ckin joke. Any public figure that doesn't wear a poppy is criticised as some
Sort of enemy of the state etc etc - it should be about personal
choice and nothing else. Wearing something that you've been forced to wear takes away any significance that it might have otherwise had in my opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

James McClean poppy on 20:30 - Nov 11 with 2508 viewsHayesender

James McClean poppy on 20:22 - Nov 11 by BrianMcCarthy

That's what you call it and fair play to you. If McClean has a different opinion on wearing a poppy then I won't guess what it is. And I wouldn't presume that it derives from disrepect.

Look, I've seen and read many things on ww1, and the things the young lads ON ALL SIDES had to go through for their masters was fcking disgraceful.

There's a great song that pretty much sums up the whole madness of it, the green fields of France, but I will still show my respect to the young lads who were butchered in the name of god knows what by wearing a poppy.

Just my oppinion though Brian.

James Mcclean poppy on 20:32 - Nov 11 with 2497 viewsNW5Hoop

James Mcclean poppy on 20:25 - Nov 11 by PlumsteadQPR

If he didn't want to wear it he shouldn't have to wear it - just like anybody else. The hysteria that has grown up around poppies over the last couple of years is a f@ckin joke. Any public figure that doesn't wear a poppy is criticised as some
Sort of enemy of the state etc etc - it should be about personal
choice and nothing else. Wearing something that you've been forced to wear takes away any significance that it might have otherwise had in my opinion.

Completely agree. I'm far more irritated by the preprinting of poppies on to shirts, which are then worn by players who may very well not give a shit, or come from countries that had no involvement in either world war. The whole point about wearing a poppy is that you have taken the time to consider the meaning of the gesture, not that you are bullied into it by the Daily Mail and the its henchmen.

And, yes, I do wear a poppy.
James McClean poppy on 20:33 - Nov 11 with 2497 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McClean poppy on 20:30 - Nov 11 by Hayesender

Look, I've seen and read many things on ww1, and the things the young lads ON ALL SIDES had to go through for their masters was fcking disgraceful.

There's a great song that pretty much sums up the whole madness of it, the green fields of France, but I will still show my respect to the young lads who were butchered in the name of god knows what by wearing a poppy.

Just my oppinion though Brian.

That's absolutely fair enough, Hayes.

James Mcclean poppy on 20:35 - Nov 11 with 2488 viewsBrianMcCarthy

‘He’s a cheery old card,’ grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.
But he did for them both by his plan of attack.'

James Mcclean poppy on 20:41 - Nov 11 with 2457 viewsLewes_r

The lad doesnt know he's been born tbh

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

James McClean poppy on 20:54 - Nov 11 with 2412 viewssmegma

James McClean poppy on 20:19 - Nov 11 by Hayesender

He probably can't read.
James Mcclean poppy on 21:02 - Nov 11 with 2368 viewseghamranger

Most footballers aren't brain of Britain tbf!
James Mcclean poppy on 21:06 - Nov 11 with 2324 viewsSpiritofGregory

Whilst I take his point in relation to the occupation of the Bristish in Ireland, if he feels so strongly against the British, he shouldn't be playing in an English league. You can't have it both ways.

Some veterans must be shaking their heads in disbelief. To think that they were willing to sacrifice their lives and also witnessed the deaths of friends... To those that try to gloss over it by saying - oh well those that died did it so future generations could have freedom of speech, expression etc, that's bull. All the dead must be spinning in their graves and their loved ones who were left behind, feel cheated.

James Mcclean poppy on 21:16 - Nov 11 with 2315 viewsJamie

I suspect his problem is not with the British people, but the British Army who killed 14 unarmed protestors in his hometown.

He has an absolute right to express his opinion without the Daily Mail continuing their insistence that everyone has to wear a poppy. Although that said they are the paper who supported a dictator...
James Mcclean poppy on 21:21 - Nov 11 with 2295 viewsloftboy

I got called a left wing nutcase for daring to say that by forcing someone to wear a poppy is a complete contradiction on it's meaning by someone on twitter last night, personally I wear one with pride and made sure even the little ones observed the minutes silence this morning.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

James Mcclean poppy on 21:25 - Nov 11 with 2279 viewswillis1980

he clearly knew an issue would be made of this, who knows what his motives were. quite frankly i dont think not wearing it achieves anything, apart from feeding the press and generating yet more ignorance. as for the forces not conducting themselves very well in derry i think theres numerous other groups like the ira, uvf, orange order etc that can be added to that list. no one is asking him to wear it in private. After being invited to my school at the timeive laid wreaths for soldiers whos people raped and murdered family members of mine, i didnt see the point in refusing to as i prefer building bridges as opposed to knocking them down.
James Mcclean poppy on 21:37 - Nov 11 with 2229 viewsDWQPR

Maybe he also ought to consider the actions of the Irish government on the treatment of the brave Irish volunteers who chose to fight on the side of the Allies against the tyranny of Hitler. A very shameful period for the Irish who have only acknowledged in the last couple of years that these people should be 'forgiven'.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

James Mcclean poppy on 21:37 - Nov 11 with 2228 viewsCiderwithRsie

James Mcclean poppy on 21:21 - Nov 11 by loftboy

I got called a left wing nutcase for daring to say that by forcing someone to wear a poppy is a complete contradiction on it's meaning by someone on twitter last night, personally I wear one with pride and made sure even the little ones observed the minutes silence this morning.

Me too.

There's no merit in wearing a poppy if its compulsory.

I do think its a shame that some people in Ireland regard anything vaguely connected with the British army or monarchy as a symbol of oppression, and I'd happily argue the points with them. But attitudes in Ireland are changing for the better - look at the Queen's visit earlier this year - and that happens through reasonable discussion and friendship, not though shouting and pointing
James Mcclean poppy on 21:54 - Nov 11 with 2195 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James Mcclean poppy on 21:37 - Nov 11 by DWQPR

Maybe he also ought to consider the actions of the Irish government on the treatment of the brave Irish volunteers who chose to fight on the side of the Allies against the tyranny of Hitler. A very shameful period for the Irish who have only acknowledged in the last couple of years that these people should be 'forgiven'.

I'm sorry, I'm completely clueless as to what you mean by this. The Irish who fought and/or died in both World Wars have been respected throughout my lifetime at least and I'm 42. And they often were at the time too. In the 1916 Easter Rising against the British the Irish forces were spat on by people in Dublin because their actions might have jeoporadised or disgraced the Irish fighting in World War 1.

Some, like journalist Kevin Myers, still believe that they weren't honoured enough in the past, but most would disagree with him strongly, and even he's happy now judging by recent comments.

James Mcclean poppy on 22:20 - Nov 11 with 2132 viewsDWQPR

James Mcclean poppy on 21:54 - Nov 11 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm sorry, I'm completely clueless as to what you mean by this. The Irish who fought and/or died in both World Wars have been respected throughout my lifetime at least and I'm 42. And they often were at the time too. In the 1916 Easter Rising against the British the Irish forces were spat on by people in Dublin because their actions might have jeoporadised or disgraced the Irish fighting in World War 1.

Some, like journalist Kevin Myers, still believe that they weren't honoured enough in the past, but most would disagree with him strongly, and even he's happy now judging by recent comments.

Here you go

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-wwii-veterans-allies-apology-484431-Jun2012/

James Mcclean poppy on 22:26 - Nov 11 with 2122 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sound, DW. Thought you were talking about the treatment of all Irish people who fought in the World Wars, so I was very confused!

I didn't hear about this as I'm over here in England again. In fairness, they should have expected some sanction for deserting the Defence Forces but their punishment was way over the top. Good that an apology was issued.

James Mcclean poppy on 22:53 - Nov 11 with 2060 viewsDWQPR

James Mcclean poppy on 22:26 - Nov 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Sound, DW. Thought you were talking about the treatment of all Irish people who fought in the World Wars, so I was very confused!

I didn't hear about this as I'm over here in England again. In fairness, they should have expected some sanction for deserting the Defence Forces but their punishment was way over the top. Good that an apology was issued.

The actual report nowhere near enough covers the treatment that these individuals endured and it didn't just last for seven years, for many it was for there remaining lifetime and died without recognition for their bravery.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024