Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed 10:00 - Nov 13 with 2832 viewsNorthernr

Looking for players who've played for both clubs
- Colin Clarke, Mark Dennis, Dexter Blackstock for start

And memories of Colin Clarke who I'm probably going to do as the main player connection. Seemed to score very frequently for Rangers but didn't enjoy his time here.
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:08 - Nov 13 with 2539 viewsdangould

One memory I have of Colin Clarke is my old friend Jim O'brien had a bet on QPR to win say 2-0 I cant remember the score lost in the mists of time anyway after 92 mins the score is 2-0 to the R's after 93 mins Colin Clarke comes on as a late sub Jim O'brien never did like Clarkey you can guess what hapens next Clarkey puts one in the back of the net and mucks my old mates bet up. He hated even Colin Clarke even more after that.
But if the truth be told he was not a bad player.

Poll: will a centre forward score for QPR in the remaining games.

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:10 - Nov 13 with 2531 viewsVish

Not Colin Clarke related, but two games which i always remember is the David Bardsley free kick - i think we won 3 or 4-1.

Also, I seem to remember Justin Channing scoring (in another game) which didn't happen that often.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:13 - Nov 13 with 2523 viewsaston_hoop

Leon Best and Inigo Idiakez. sure we had both on loan from Southampton.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:13 - Nov 13 with 2521 viewsDanVanDyke

Christer Warren, John 'Budgie' Burridge, Tim Flowers (only as coach at QPR), that other 'keeper - Saints got him from Stockport and we had him late in his career (Paul Jnes, it was Paul Jones...stop the clock!!), Neil 'Razor' Ruddock, Inigo Idiakez (sic), erm...I'm struggling now. My brother supports Saints so we once created a 'They Played for Both Clubs XI'. I'll try and dig it out!
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:21 - Nov 13 with 2501 viewsDanVanDyke

Jim Magilton (only as manager of QPR), Ian Dowie in addition. I'm still looking for the bit of paper!
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:23 - Nov 13 with 2499 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:10 - Nov 13 by Vish

Not Colin Clarke related, but two games which i always remember is the David Bardsley free kick - i think we won 3 or 4-1.

Also, I seem to remember Justin Channing scoring (in another game) which didn't happen that often.

It was 3-1, a night game. I think Les scored and possibly Dennis Bailey. That second half performance was one of the most complete attacking displays I have ever seen. We absolutely DESTROYED Southampton that night. Murdered them. It was ace.

Mark Hughes is a sort of connection.

Bare bones.

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:24 - Nov 13 with 2495 viewsGaztastic

The never to be forgotten QPR career of Jason Puncheon surely deserves a review?

Also mention of the great respect their fans showed on our first home game after Ray Jones's death.
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:33 - Nov 13 with 2479 viewsdaveB

Clarke got a lot of unfair stick, My Dad used to scream take that piano off your back as he ran so slow it was if err well he was was carrying a piano on his back. He was a decent finisher, came in under Trevor Francis and his goals kept us up including the winner at Newcastle when the Martin Allen thing kicked off. he replaced Bannister though and for us kids of the 80's it was a bit like replacing Ferdinand with Dichio, although the later was fine and scored goals he was never as good as the previous guy.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 10:34 - Nov 13 with 2476 viewsngbqpr

Colin Clarke, if memory serves me well, was a bit of a Heidar-lite...'cept he wasn't that light, always looked a bit on the tubby side to me. A poor man's Mark Falco may be another comparison. He played in a less than exciting Rs team (tho what would we give for its top flight mid-table security now), and coming after Bannister & Byrne but before Les, is understandably forgotten when strikers from the 80s & 90s are recalled.

My fave away day at the Dell was a New Year's Eve, think it was 89-90 season. We won 4-1, including a couple of Falco specials. Bizarrely, Martin Allen was getting linked with Man U at the time. When he lost the ball needlessly on half way my mate who'd never liked him yelled "f&*k off to United, Allen"...mad dog promptly won the ball back, advanced 10-15 yards, and unleashed a 30 yard piledriver into the top corner.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 11:35 - Nov 13 with 2437 viewspaulparker

from Memory Soton used to be our bogey side in the Eighties and Ninties,
remember a game we lost 4-1 at home when i think Shearer got a hatrick,
they had a good team then , Flowers , wallace brothers , Shearer, Le Tiss,

Also remember battering them at home in the early Gerry days for a 2-2 draw
had been to a rave the night before so was a bit fuzzy , but im sure that was Gary Thompsons only goal for us or i could have been still Hallucinating

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 11:54 - Nov 13 with 2422 viewsJamie

Martin Cranie
Peter Crouch
Andrew Davies
Tim Flowers
Shitz Hall
Jason Puncheon
Nigel Quashie
Tony Sealy
Razor Ruddock
Christer Warren

Im sure there's a couple more obscure ones in there somewhere.
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:02 - Nov 13 with 2410 viewsdaveB

we have a pretty terrible record against Southampton at home, we beat them last time when they got relegated, 4-1 I think but before that they always seemed to beat us at Loftus Road
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:19 - Nov 13 with 2394 viewspaulparker

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 11:54 - Nov 13 by Jamie

Martin Cranie
Peter Crouch
Andrew Davies
Tim Flowers
Shitz Hall
Jason Puncheon
Nigel Quashie
Tony Sealy
Razor Ruddock
Christer Warren

Im sure there's a couple more obscure ones in there somewhere.

Dexter,
Leon Best
Dowie

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:28 - Nov 13 with 2380 viewsqueensparker

My best memory of Colin Clarke is in a home game against Norwich where he got a last minute winner - went in two footed in a 50-50 with Bryan Gunn, took him out and tapped into an empty net.

Norwich proceeded to go mental, but the goal stood. Would never have been even close these days...

I mainly remember him as slow and crap, but wasn't he Norn Iron's record goalscorer at the time?
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:31 - Nov 13 with 2374 viewsloftboy

Colin Clarke scored a hat trick against us on Seamans debut.
He was also the boo boys favourite target at one point and was the reason for my only fisty cuffs at football when some idiot booed him before he even got on the pitch at highbury.
He also once won me a tidy wedge when he slid in in Bryan Gunn of Norwich, stole the ball off him, casually walked the ball into an empty net to win the game 2-1 which I had done on my coupon.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:37 - Nov 13 with 2361 viewsqueensparker

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:31 - Nov 13 by loftboy

Colin Clarke scored a hat trick against us on Seamans debut.
He was also the boo boys favourite target at one point and was the reason for my only fisty cuffs at football when some idiot booed him before he even got on the pitch at highbury.
He also once won me a tidy wedge when he slid in in Bryan Gunn of Norwich, stole the ball off him, casually walked the ball into an empty net to win the game 2-1 which I had done on my coupon.

Ha - snap Loftboy. Memorable goal that one clearly
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:39 - Nov 13 with 2355 viewsClive_Anderson

Scored the equaliser against those c@nts up the road in a 1-1 draw in about 1990.

Seem to remember him scoring a nice curling free kick in front of the loft, but could be imagining that one.
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:39 - Nov 13 with 2354 viewsElHoop

Last time I went down there, Ray Jones scored from quite a narrow angle I think. Can't find it on You Tube or anywhere.

I wonder what sort of player Ray would have been by now?

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:41 - Nov 13 with 2347 viewsdaveB

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:39 - Nov 13 by Clive_Anderson

Scored the equaliser against those c@nts up the road in a 1-1 draw in about 1990.

Seem to remember him scoring a nice curling free kick in front of the loft, but could be imagining that one.

that was against Luton, midweek game, great free kick
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:41 - Nov 13 with 2347 viewsqueensparker

Great Colin Clarke fact from Wikipedia:

Puerto Rico national team

In January 2008, Clarke was chosen to lead the Puerto Rico national team. After two wins against Bermuda and a draw versus Trinidad and Tobago, he gained the trust of many Puerto Rican people. On 5 May, he led the national team to a disappointing 4-0 defeat against Honduras. However on 14 June, Puerto Rico played against Honduras in the second leg earning a 2-2 draw in Puerto Rico. In Puerto Rico he is known as "The General"
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:50 - Nov 13 with 2335 viewsNorthernr

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:39 - Nov 13 by ElHoop

Last time I went down there, Ray Jones scored from quite a narrow angle I think. Can't find it on You Tube or anywhere.

I wonder what sort of player Ray would have been by now?

Well he'd have been a Colchester player more than likely. What was glossed over at the time of his tragic death was that Paladini and Gregory were about to flog him for £200,000 to Colchester.
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:52 - Nov 13 with 2330 viewsdaveB

he had all the ability to make it but I think he'd have gone the same way as Richard Pacquette and Dennis Oli to the lower leagues. The fact we were selling him makes the out pouring of grief on the offish every year seem even more riddiculous
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:56 - Nov 13 with 2321 viewsElHoop

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 12:50 - Nov 13 by Northernr

Well he'd have been a Colchester player more than likely. What was glossed over at the time of his tragic death was that Paladini and Gregory were about to flog him for £200,000 to Colchester.

Didn't know that he was moving on when he died. He still could have made it though. Players like that tend to take time to mature. He definitely had ability.
Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 13:06 - Nov 13 with 2307 viewsElHoop

Have found the goal anyway. It's the last 30 seconds of this:

Southampton connections/memories of Colin Clarke - help needed on 13:36 - Nov 13 with 2291 viewsreal_loftus

Colin Clarke was always known as "Burgers Clarkie". I vaguely remember a game where he was lumbering down the flanks, forlornly carrying his excess timber down the channels in an aimless pursuit of a long ball. Some guy near me shouted out "Clarkey...Cllarkey...burgers Clarkey!" in the same way you'd try and coax a dog to come to you. It was a very funny moment, and burnt on my memory.

And you cannot mention Southampton connections without referring to "your fat and your birds a slag" from the Dell.

And how about the FA Cup game immediately after the 1-4 win at Old Trafford? We'd demolished Man Utd away, then a couple of days later we filled The Dell in expectation of turning over Saints in a similar way. In fact, no one turned up on the day (team wise) and we lost in a really tame manner (2-0?).

ATAF

ATAF.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024