Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thatcher dead 12:56 - Apr 8 with 81305 viewssix_foot_two

Skynews are are saying Magaret Thatcher has died of a stroke
Thatcher dead on 00:34 - Apr 9 with 1907 viewsMkPaul

Thatcher dead on 23:51 - Apr 8 by SonofNorfolt

Great Britain.
A nation with 200/300 years of coal reserves that now imports it from places like Australia.
Wasn't a political move was it?

Maybe it's still more cost effective to import the coal than pay the fortunes to keep the mines open in the UK? Surely even those that hate her the most can see that Scargil and the pit workers brought about their own demise and the demise of their industry and I am sure Scargil did not suffer in the way those that followed him did, and that sums up the main thing that's wrong with the unions... The union leaders! Unfortunately something that could be great for all tends to get used to make a point by leaders who are not impacted in the way their members are and really do not know what impacts the majority of the workforce. At the last company I worked for we had unite union "working" for us .. All they managed to do was delay our pay rises by a year and a half by the time they finished asking for things like 14% when the company offered 3%, the outcome that year .. We got a 3% pay rise 6 months later than we would have had it had they not interfered and then our pay rises came 12 months after that one going forward, until they did it again .. With the same result. So I for one am glad the unions don't have the power they had before MT or we would never have got any pay rises, but I'm sure the union negotiating team got their pay rises on time
Thatcher dead on 00:35 - Apr 9 with 1904 viewsstowmarketrange

Thatcher dead on 00:29 - Apr 9 by TacticalR

I think you are a little bit unkind there stowmarketrange. The think that's striking to me about Holloway's story is the disparity between his income, which is diminishing in value, and the one valuable asset he has, which he could no longer afford if he was buying from scratch.

So he has made his money out of all of us who paid taxes to build his council flat that the bitch thought she would sell off cheaply just to get another potential voter.
How are people supposed to get council accomodation in the future if the ones they had are sold off?
Thatcher dead on 00:40 - Apr 9 with 1895 viewsMkPaul

Thatcher dead on 00:35 - Apr 9 by stowmarketrange

So he has made his money out of all of us who paid taxes to build his council flat that the bitch thought she would sell off cheaply just to get another potential voter.
How are people supposed to get council accomodation in the future if the ones they had are sold off?

Where I live they seem to have no problem finding council houses for people that have just moved to the country, and I include my sister in that who moved abroad but then had to move back some years later (just to clarify this isn't a racist rant), but they do have problems finding houses for those that have been here all their life but do not earn enough to pay the massive private rents, maybe priorities should change?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Thatcher dead on 01:03 - Apr 9 with 1883 viewsstowmarketrange

Thatcher dead on 00:40 - Apr 9 by MkPaul

Where I live they seem to have no problem finding council houses for people that have just moved to the country, and I include my sister in that who moved abroad but then had to move back some years later (just to clarify this isn't a racist rant), but they do have problems finding houses for those that have been here all their life but do not earn enough to pay the massive private rents, maybe priorities should change?

That is a different argument altogether. And i'm sure that will be covered sooner or later.
Thatcher dead on 02:55 - Apr 9 with 1845 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Fantastic thread boys.

Pinochet, gaddafi, and thatch just waiting for Blair to join them for a fourball in hell.

So long maggie

It's got to be Yarg

Thatcher dead on 03:31 - Apr 9 with 1854 viewsDylanP

Ding dong the witch is dead,
Which old witch? The wicked old witch.
Ding dong the wicked witch is dead!!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Thatcher dead on 04:14 - Apr 9 with 1842 viewsQPR_ARG

Thatcher dead on 02:55 - Apr 9 by Cornish_oooRRRR

Fantastic thread boys.

Pinochet, gaddafi, and thatch just waiting for Blair to join them for a fourball in hell.

So long maggie

Colonel Galtieri will bring the whiskey to that one, mate!

From an Argentine point of view and someone who was very very young when she was in power (but who has read some stuff and spoken to people over here and over there), all I can say is that I follow plenty of English people on Twitter and only read 2 of them (one was Rodney Marsh) speaking good things about her and loads of people (like on this thread) showing some true hatred towards her. Then I read 3 Argies speaking good things about her. It might surprise you but it doesn't surprise me (as they have an agenda against everything our current government stands for).

Economists round here are even saying she was genius.

I didn't like her (guess I'm not alone on this one), but only a small fraction of my dislike for her is associated with her role in that war against my country.

I've said it many times. I blame both governments for that conflict that should have never happened. They put their egos and interests before everything else and there's people still suffering from their actions more than 30 years later.

Thatcher dead on 05:53 - Apr 9 with 1822 viewsHayesender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305760/Lefts-chorus-hatred-Champagne-st

The nasty left. Half of these cnts weren't even alive when she was pm, yet here they are like little dirty sheep celebrating an old woman's death.

All the left do is squeal and shout down anyone who disagrees with their warped ideas.

Nasty nasty cnts!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Thatcher dead on 06:57 - Apr 9 with 1805 viewszicoshoops

I worked in North Yorkshire during the Miners strike.
I saw things that I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes.
A British Prime Minister who declared War on British workers, in mainland Britain.

I wouldn't wish death on anyone......
I thought her a horrible Bastard when she was alive.
Now she is no longer alive.....
I still think she was a horrible bastard when she was alive.
Thatcher dead on 08:23 - Apr 9 with 1757 viewsBluce_Ree

Thatcher dead on 05:53 - Apr 9 by Hayesender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305760/Lefts-chorus-hatred-Champagne-st

The nasty left. Half of these cnts weren't even alive when she was pm, yet here they are like little dirty sheep celebrating an old woman's death.

All the left do is squeal and shout down anyone who disagrees with their warped ideas.

Nasty nasty cnts!

ha... Daily Mail...

nothing to see here.

Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah. His crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Thatcher dead on 09:14 - Apr 9 with 1713 viewsnadera78

Thatcher dead on 05:53 - Apr 9 by Hayesender

Nasty nasty cnts!

I could just as easily point out the absolute glee that Thatcher and her cohorts took in the vicious and vindictive destruction of whole swathes of this country. But you don't want to hear that.
Thatcher dead on 09:15 - Apr 9 with 1713 viewsHayesender

Thatcher dead on 08:23 - Apr 9 by Bluce_Ree

ha... Daily Mail...

nothing to see here.

I'd quite happily stick a rolled up guardian round their ugly boats. Cnts

Thatcher dead on 09:19 - Apr 9 with 1708 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 23:21 - Apr 8 by Clive_Anderson

Saw an interesting stat today that in 1983, the mines were costing the UK taxpayer £1.3bn to keep them open which was more than the cost of all the doctors and dentists on the NHS put together.

The fact is that the heavy industries had been declining for decades and were costing the taxpayer a fortune but previous Labour and Tory governments had put off dealing with them in the 60s and 70s. The idea that we'd still be building ships in Liverpool and Glasgow if it wasn't for Thatcher is absurd.

Clive if ever there was facts made on the hop you have just done it
Thatcher dead on 09:23 - Apr 9 with 1702 viewsHayesender

http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-party-brixt

Just for you leftwing bigots out there

Thatcher dead on 09:25 - Apr 9 with 1696 viewsTGRRRSSS

Thatcher dead on 23:36 - Apr 8 by highlandbill

OK where did you see it? Where are the back up figures? Dont just post stuff which you think supports your views...its worthless.

Fact is that kind of thing - the old style industry was dying it wasn't justifying itself and someone eventually would have had to deal with it.
Someone somewhere always has to get the ball rolling, the fact is successive governments have left many of the old mining areas etc to decline, that is a seperate issue.

Thatcher dead on 09:25 - Apr 9 with 1695 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 00:30 - Apr 9 by Clive_Anderson

I think you can thank Uncle Gordon for at least £200,000 of the value of your house after he presided over the biggest housing bubble ever in the UK.

MInd you if you never sell it then you aren't going to be any richer than if your house is still worth what you paid for it.

the rise of house prices is down to the sale of council homes and not building more.
The simple fact is you sell don't replace will cause demand and demand means name your price
Thatcher dead on 09:27 - Apr 9 with 1690 viewsTGRRRSSS

One funny thing is how many on here back the British Falklands yet hate Thatcher.
Fairly indifferent to her myself but amazed how little hatred there is towards Blair and Brown in comparison, who've done their utmost - Brown in particular to destroy the country and the living standards etc.
How many out of work today???
Thatcher dead on 09:29 - Apr 9 with 1688 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 09:15 - Apr 9 by Hayesender

I'd quite happily stick a rolled up guardian round their ugly boats. Cnts

hate to pick holes in that but the Guardian supported the Lib Dems in the last election.
Anyway i am one of them left wing cxxts i guess
Thatcher dead on 09:31 - Apr 9 with 1685 viewsTGRRRSSS

Thatcher dead on 09:25 - Apr 9 by finney

the rise of house prices is down to the sale of council homes and not building more.
The simple fact is you sell don't replace will cause demand and demand means name your price

Also Buy to let, and huge influx of immigration under the last Labour government.
Prices went sky rocketing between about 2000-2007 long after Labour took charge and de regulated the banks who started lending like billyow
Thatcher dead on 09:32 - Apr 9 with 1679 viewsTGRRRSSS

Don't forget Blairs vision of 1 in 2 going to Uni, and we're all middle class now.

After the party comes the hangover, but it's ended more like a stomach pump at AandE
Thatcher dead on 09:32 - Apr 9 with 1679 viewsnadera78

Thatcher dead on 09:25 - Apr 9 by TGRRRSSS

Fact is that kind of thing - the old style industry was dying it wasn't justifying itself and someone eventually would have had to deal with it.
Someone somewhere always has to get the ball rolling, the fact is successive governments have left many of the old mining areas etc to decline, that is a seperate issue.

It's not a separate issue at all. There is a clear argument to be made that the 'coalstack' industries were obsolete and needed updating and/or phasing it. But the way she went about it, with unadulterated glee at the destruction (yes destruction) of swathes of this country, was beyond despicable. She created a trap for the union leaders and they walked straight into it. She despised, genuinely despised anyone who did not agree with her, and took her vengeance out on the communities that did not and never would support her. She was an evil woman.

And she set this country down a path that would lead to the current situation where people cannot afford to buy property but there is not enough social housing, where people cannot find real jobs but get shunted into call centres, where the rich have raced away from everyone else, where employment laws have gone back to a Victorian age, where people are judged solely on how much money they have, where people are set against one another in a fight for jobs and security, and where 'what do I get out of it?' is the first question on everyone's lips.
Thatcher dead on 09:35 - Apr 9 with 1674 viewswestolian

Celebrate when she was ousted, but her death ??

Strange

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Thatcher dead on 09:42 - Apr 9 with 1671 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 09:31 - Apr 9 by TGRRRSSS

Also Buy to let, and huge influx of immigration under the last Labour government.
Prices went sky rocketing between about 2000-2007 long after Labour took charge and de regulated the banks who started lending like billyow

Funny how when you say anything about thatcher and housing people blame immigration i still say if was about market demand and it was Thatcher who let the banks free to start the greed is good mindset when it all came down around us Labour was in power and i hated Blair but her Government started that mess a long time before Brown and Blair carried it on.

Fact is the greed is good would always have victims and it is also odd that the price people paid for buying their homes was the quick rich move and now their kids and Grandchildren have no chance of a home.
Thatcher dead on 09:45 - Apr 9 with 1664 viewsTGRRRSSS

Think you will find alot of the "Me Me Me" thing is human nature really Nadera it's just people are more open about it now. She didn't approve of people spending beyond their means and made it clear in many interviews about how one worked for something then got it, not got it now regardkess.
I can see that someone like her a clear over achiever could and did fail to emptahise with people who were not like her, but there again most politicians are like that now and probably then.
My parents did quite well out of Thatcher years and many working class people did especially down south.
There was a time when the industrial heartlandsa of midlands and the north were wealthier than the south and London but it isn't that way now.
Many people have suffered big time in this current recession but to blame to all on Thatcher herself is a nonsense when she'd been gone for many years before it kicked off and we'd have 11 years of Labour government who did f all for these communities, and lets face it wealth isn't really in their interests in the heartlands as it might mean lost votes.
Guess we can all argue till the cows come home, I'm not really pro her per sey and as you sayu some did well, some did not, whats interesting is how some people get critiscised when others get away scot free.
You think Brown or Blair gave a fck when they opened the gates to eastern europe to flood into homes you say we don't have enough of?

Did they fck.
Wonder how many in this country will behave like some did yesterday when they die.
Thatcher dead on 09:58 - Apr 9 with 1647 viewsHunterhoop

Thatcher dead on 09:27 - Apr 9 by TGRRRSSS

One funny thing is how many on here back the British Falklands yet hate Thatcher.
Fairly indifferent to her myself but amazed how little hatred there is towards Blair and Brown in comparison, who've done their utmost - Brown in particular to destroy the country and the living standards etc.
How many out of work today???

That's not really true.

I think you'd struggle to put a logical argument for how Brown did his utmost to destroy the country.

Good at his job? No. Liked be people? No. But what specifically did he do to destroy the country. The effects of political decisions take years to really be clear. The economic crash was not his due to his tenure. It was due to economic policies put in pace by Thatcher and then furthre encourage by the greatest Thatcherite of them all, Tony Blair. Brown was actually much more of a redustributionist than either. Maybe in 10 years time you might have some meat on the bone to that comment, but otherwise it's ridiculous.

The thing with Thatcher is that I think history will judge her to have been wrong on more counts that she was right. Her policies on deregulation, housing, the banking sector and destruction of the manufacturing industry (please distinguish this from the mines) have all played a key role in the worst recession in decades and our inability to escape it. Her policies delivered short term gain for those with capital - the same people now, who aren't affected anywhere near as much by the current housing crisis, utility bills, unemployment, etc. It's not surprising why they struggle to see the negative impact of her polices. It's all about the perspective you view her from.

She was undoubtedly right on Europe and for that she should be applauded.

Whilst I think she went too far in the rebalancing, she probably did what was good for the country by redressing the might of the Unions.

In addition she did provide economic prosperity to quite a few, for which I'm sure they're thankful but I believe it was at the expense of the long term problems above.

The Falklands is a actually a bit of an irrelevence. Take away, the flag waving, "we can't have those Argies invading our territory" jingoism of the whole deal and what did it really deliver for the UK? What was it's long term impact on our society and economy?

The answer is very little. The only reason the Falklands issue has any relevance to the UK is it kept her in power when she would definitely have lost that election.

As discussed before, one thing I think she got horribly wrong was the creation of the "everybody in it for themselves", "me" not "us", culture that in the very long term will have a huge impact on the British psyche and British society. I think she had now idea of what the impact of her approach and comments would be. In hindsight I think they were irresponsible and misguided rather than malicious, but history will judge her as responsible for them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024