Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thatcher dead 12:56 - Apr 8 with 81350 viewssix_foot_two

Skynews are are saying Magaret Thatcher has died of a stroke
Thatcher dead on 21:24 - Apr 9 with 1791 viewsBklynRanger

"I think a lot of the hate for Thatcher is really anger at the loss of the old industrial way of life, which was inevitable whether Thatcher was in power or not. It's much easier to blame a person and think that they are evil than accept that it's an natural change in the economy of a country and there was nothing you could do about it. "

I'd say that's partially true, but only partially. It's undoubtedly true that a lot of industry was at a point where it was going to have to change or get murdered bu foreign competition. The problem is that Thatcher's policies wanted to amputate every ailing part of the system rather than help it to modify where possible. And that had a huge impact on communities, the tax base, future GDP, everything. It seemed to be all about centralizing wealth, power and pushing those industries that they believed in and, ironically, could have more control over. So, yes, the climate was changing and pain was coming, but policy decisions were made that made things a lot worse than they ever needed to be.

I was 9 when my dad was made redundant, and I have wrestled with this idea that its easier to blame Thatcher than accept what was going on, but the more I've looked into it the more I find the above paragraph to be the case. In March '81 there was a special session held in the House of Commons which foretold how some of these policy decisions would go. Here's just a snippet of the huge transcript:

"J. D. Concannon (Mansfield): In the Appropriation order debate last Monday I gave specific details of factory closures and redundancies to demonstrate the failure of the Government to bring anything other than industrial stagnation to Northern Ireland. I shall not waste the time of the House by repeating those figures and names, which are shown in the Official Report.
The effect of the Government's patent failure to develop a coherent economic approach to Northern Ireland will be further compounded by the budgetary measures announced last week for the whole of the United Kingdom. From the bastion of Tory support has come the most severe criticism. The CBI of Northern Ireland said of the Budget: "The proposals will probably result in higher unemployment because it is a deflationary Budget. Industry was already having to operate on a very tight budget and the higher transport costs could easily push them over the edge." It was also forcefully argued that the whole deflationary effect of the Budget would probably offset the benefits of lower interest charges for most of industry."
Thatcher dead on 21:29 - Apr 9 with 1779 viewsMkPaul

Thatcher dead on 21:24 - Apr 9 by BklynRanger

"I think a lot of the hate for Thatcher is really anger at the loss of the old industrial way of life, which was inevitable whether Thatcher was in power or not. It's much easier to blame a person and think that they are evil than accept that it's an natural change in the economy of a country and there was nothing you could do about it. "

I'd say that's partially true, but only partially. It's undoubtedly true that a lot of industry was at a point where it was going to have to change or get murdered bu foreign competition. The problem is that Thatcher's policies wanted to amputate every ailing part of the system rather than help it to modify where possible. And that had a huge impact on communities, the tax base, future GDP, everything. It seemed to be all about centralizing wealth, power and pushing those industries that they believed in and, ironically, could have more control over. So, yes, the climate was changing and pain was coming, but policy decisions were made that made things a lot worse than they ever needed to be.

I was 9 when my dad was made redundant, and I have wrestled with this idea that its easier to blame Thatcher than accept what was going on, but the more I've looked into it the more I find the above paragraph to be the case. In March '81 there was a special session held in the House of Commons which foretold how some of these policy decisions would go. Here's just a snippet of the huge transcript:

"J. D. Concannon (Mansfield): In the Appropriation order debate last Monday I gave specific details of factory closures and redundancies to demonstrate the failure of the Government to bring anything other than industrial stagnation to Northern Ireland. I shall not waste the time of the House by repeating those figures and names, which are shown in the Official Report.
The effect of the Government's patent failure to develop a coherent economic approach to Northern Ireland will be further compounded by the budgetary measures announced last week for the whole of the United Kingdom. From the bastion of Tory support has come the most severe criticism. The CBI of Northern Ireland said of the Budget: "The proposals will probably result in higher unemployment because it is a deflationary Budget. Industry was already having to operate on a very tight budget and the higher transport costs could easily push them over the edge." It was also forcefully argued that the whole deflationary effect of the Budget would probably offset the benefits of lower interest charges for most of industry."

Have you ever tried to negotiate with a union when trying to reshape an ailing business? I have and I can tell you from my dealings with unite they mostly do not want change or even to accept that existing staff are ring fenced but new starters have new t's&c's to make the business effective, therefore making 100's redundant. And that's in 2000's not the 1970's when I would assume it was even worse
Thatcher dead on 21:36 - Apr 9 with 1758 viewsBklynRanger

Thatcher dead on 21:29 - Apr 9 by MkPaul

Have you ever tried to negotiate with a union when trying to reshape an ailing business? I have and I can tell you from my dealings with unite they mostly do not want change or even to accept that existing staff are ring fenced but new starters have new t's&c's to make the business effective, therefore making 100's redundant. And that's in 2000's not the 1970's when I would assume it was even worse

There's no denying that union inflexibility was and is a factor
Thatcher dead on 22:20 - Apr 9 with 1714 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 21:36 - Apr 9 by BklynRanger

There's no denying that union inflexibility was and is a factor

I think a managed decline of the heavy industries was made impossible by the actions of the unions. Several previous governments had tried reforms and got scared off by the strikes in the 70s.

I'm surprised you thought that you thought Thatcher had centralised power, I'd say she did the opposite by allowing industries propped up by the state to fail and allowing new ones to take their place by free enterprise.

In fact a lot of the criticisms of her include not enough regulation and control rather than too much.
Thatcher dead on 22:42 - Apr 9 with 1690 viewsStanisgod

Thatcher dead on 21:29 - Apr 9 by MkPaul

Yes, I was a shop steward on and off over the years having worked for the same company for 35 years. I've watched a shop floor go from 200 people manufacturing goods to the 19 people that we have now just working in service which we basically are now. We were obviously very powerful when we wanted to be early on but now with just 13 of us in the union still we are now toothless regards wages, but we've still over the years stopped them putting our hours up from 37- and-a-half to 40, which we went on strike for in '78 and won, along with a large pay rise ( which didn't hurt them one bit with a 6 million pound year profit at that time ).

We still have full sick pay for 52 weeks, which they tried to take away about 6 years ago when Yanks took us over, we still have our 3 days extra holiday due to service, which they wanted. The 187 that have gone over the years haven't gone because we fought for what management would consider " luxuries " but because manufacturing was moved to Germany when we algamated with them and it was cheaper to make UK workers redundant than German.
Over the years my job has been saved many times with union backing for variuos reasons, I also get 24 hour free advice on practically any legal matter, cheap car/house insurance, accident claim support, etc.
We've just got the antiquated factory heating system upgraded by refusing to start work until the temparature reached it's required height.
Yes , in the 70s the militants did have too much power and abused it, but in the main union reps like myself always tried to look at both sides, and most times it worked. I'm assuming from a lot of anti-union comments on here that they tar all union members with the same brush or have been lucky enough to never need help from a union, or probably in most cases never been in one.
Unfortunately there are a few on here so blinkered by there Thatcherite views that are earning fantasic salaries ( and good luck to them they've obviously earnt it ), that they still have the I'm all right Jack, f* ck the shop floor peasents attitude that opitomised her reign and that we are suffering for now by work places being ruled by fear again and dark age conditions.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Thatcher dead on 22:54 - Apr 9 with 1668 viewshighlandbill

Well! She might be dead (I f****** hope she is dead) but she has surely stirred a nest. Great debate all round.For me exquisite to see all her supporters dragging all kinds of nutty arguments out of the bin to defend her. Lads...she was an A***hole. Lets burn her and get on with sorting out fat Dave the latest Tory t*** to F us about.

At my age I should not be doing this!

Thatcher dead on 22:58 - Apr 9 with 1656 viewsBklynRanger

Thatcher dead on 22:20 - Apr 9 by Clive_Anderson

I think a managed decline of the heavy industries was made impossible by the actions of the unions. Several previous governments had tried reforms and got scared off by the strikes in the 70s.

I'm surprised you thought that you thought Thatcher had centralised power, I'd say she did the opposite by allowing industries propped up by the state to fail and allowing new ones to take their place by free enterprise.

In fact a lot of the criticisms of her include not enough regulation and control rather than too much.

I'm not talking about formal regulations or even formal influence per se.

It's pretty clear that finance and the service sector was emphasised over manufacturing. The former being fields that she could have access to and some level of informal influence over and the latter often representing the opposite.
Thatcher dead on 23:03 - Apr 9 with 1650 viewsSuffolkHoop

Thatcher dead on 22:42 - Apr 9 by Stanisgod

Yes, I was a shop steward on and off over the years having worked for the same company for 35 years. I've watched a shop floor go from 200 people manufacturing goods to the 19 people that we have now just working in service which we basically are now. We were obviously very powerful when we wanted to be early on but now with just 13 of us in the union still we are now toothless regards wages, but we've still over the years stopped them putting our hours up from 37- and-a-half to 40, which we went on strike for in '78 and won, along with a large pay rise ( which didn't hurt them one bit with a 6 million pound year profit at that time ).

We still have full sick pay for 52 weeks, which they tried to take away about 6 years ago when Yanks took us over, we still have our 3 days extra holiday due to service, which they wanted. The 187 that have gone over the years haven't gone because we fought for what management would consider " luxuries " but because manufacturing was moved to Germany when we algamated with them and it was cheaper to make UK workers redundant than German.
Over the years my job has been saved many times with union backing for variuos reasons, I also get 24 hour free advice on practically any legal matter, cheap car/house insurance, accident claim support, etc.
We've just got the antiquated factory heating system upgraded by refusing to start work until the temparature reached it's required height.
Yes , in the 70s the militants did have too much power and abused it, but in the main union reps like myself always tried to look at both sides, and most times it worked. I'm assuming from a lot of anti-union comments on here that they tar all union members with the same brush or have been lucky enough to never need help from a union, or probably in most cases never been in one.
Unfortunately there are a few on here so blinkered by there Thatcherite views that are earning fantasic salaries ( and good luck to them they've obviously earnt it ), that they still have the I'm all right Jack, f* ck the shop floor peasents attitude that opitomised her reign and that we are suffering for now by work places being ruled by fear again and dark age conditions.

I enjoyed the post and found it informstive. Just out of curiosity and please do not take offence from me asking the question, but why was working 40 hours instead of 37.5 considered unreasonable and worth striking over? It seems to me this is/was an example of unions being unrealistic, wanting something for nothing and not grasping the urgent economic situation of the time. You get nothing for free in life.
Login to get fewer ads

Thatcher dead on 23:04 - Apr 9 with 1648 viewsMkPaul

I wish I had met union reps that looked from both sides, I tried my hardest to come up with a solution that suited both sides as I really didn't want to see redundancies as I had worked at the same level as the people at risk for many years before promotion but in the end the higher ups pulled the plug on the negotiations as the union were not being reasonable despite my managing to get the directors to initially agree to the compromise that the union wouldn't agree to
Thatcher dead on 23:06 - Apr 9 with 1641 viewsMkPaul

Thatcher dead on 22:54 - Apr 9 by highlandbill

Well! She might be dead (I f****** hope she is dead) but she has surely stirred a nest. Great debate all round.For me exquisite to see all her supporters dragging all kinds of nutty arguments out of the bin to defend her. Lads...she was an A***hole. Lets burn her and get on with sorting out fat Dave the latest Tory t*** to F us about.

So it's nutty to see that there was some good along with the bad ... But it's totally sensible to have a drink to celebrate someone's passing etc ... Wow how things have changed since I was raised
Thatcher dead on 23:21 - Apr 9 with 1622 viewsCliff

Thatcher dead on 20:34 - Apr 9 by QPR1882

She may have made a few errors ( poll tax ) but she is very much like Arry,trying to put right the fck ups before they became in charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_Discontent

No she like Mark Hughes, she took over something begin to fail and totally fcked it up.
Thatcher dead on 23:25 - Apr 9 with 1615 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 23:21 - Apr 9 by Cliff

No she like Mark Hughes, she took over something begin to fail and totally fcked it up.

Cliff why not just say ' i don't like her regarding of facts '

Thatcher dead on 23:34 - Apr 9 with 1607 viewsCliff

Thatcher dead on 21:22 - Apr 9 by MkPaul

Can someone explain why we should pay excessive taxes to support loss making industries just so someone has a job? That's like me running a business that's losing a fortune but keeping it open just so someone is employed regardless of if I can afford it. Also very easy to ignore all the years prior in the 70's where the workers would go on strike at the drop of a hat ... Obviously that didn't help the losses but lets not get into that eh because it couldn't be that the workers and unions had any input into the direction that needed to be taken

No you are of course correct, it's far better to throw them all on the DOLE and then pay them anyway, at least that way it's easier to take the moral high ground.
Thatcher dead on 23:41 - Apr 9 with 1600 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 22:58 - Apr 9 by BklynRanger

I'm not talking about formal regulations or even formal influence per se.

It's pretty clear that finance and the service sector was emphasised over manufacturing. The former being fields that she could have access to and some level of informal influence over and the latter often representing the opposite.

Yes she emphasised financial industries because it was a potential growth area in contrast to the inevitable decline of the smoke stack industries.

Not sure it was a question of control really as the state owned industries are easier for the government to influence than private businesses.
Thatcher dead on 23:43 - Apr 9 with 1599 viewsstowmarketrange

Thatcher dead on 23:03 - Apr 9 by SuffolkHoop

I enjoyed the post and found it informstive. Just out of curiosity and please do not take offence from me asking the question, but why was working 40 hours instead of 37.5 considered unreasonable and worth striking over? It seems to me this is/was an example of unions being unrealistic, wanting something for nothing and not grasping the urgent economic situation of the time. You get nothing for free in life.

Unless you buy your council flat for peanuts and sell it for squillions.
Thatcher dead on 23:44 - Apr 9 with 1596 viewsMkPaul

Thatcher dead on 23:34 - Apr 9 by Cliff

No you are of course correct, it's far better to throw them all on the DOLE and then pay them anyway, at least that way it's easier to take the moral high ground.

At least we agree on something then
Thatcher dead on 23:53 - Apr 9 with 1577 viewsStanisgod

Thatcher dead on 23:03 - Apr 9 by SuffolkHoop

Perhaps I put it wrong. IN '78 we were on 40 hours but wanted 37 and a half (which a lot of industries then were starting ) which we got, A few years ago they tried to make us go back up to 40 hrs for no extra money , which we managed to get knocked back, although did agree any new contracts would be 40 hrs.

Thatcher dead on 23:56 - Apr 9 with 1569 viewsStanisgod

Thatcher dead on 23:04 - Apr 9 by MkPaul

I wish I had met union reps that looked from both sides, I tried my hardest to come up with a solution that suited both sides as I really didn't want to see redundancies as I had worked at the same level as the people at risk for many years before promotion but in the end the higher ups pulled the plug on the negotiations as the union were not being reasonable despite my managing to get the directors to initially agree to the compromise that the union wouldn't agree to

Yes, thats the problem, and the more members in that particular branch, the more miltants you will have.

Thatcher dead on 00:31 - Apr 10 with 1540 viewsstowmarketrange

I couldn't agree with you more.
The industry I work in (road haulage)is notorious for lack of union membership,mainly because a lot of truckers live in their cabs all week and never get back to see anyone.and also most haulage firms won't recognise a union,even if most of the drivers are in it.
This allows firms to get away with making sure that drivers know that they sometimes have to break the law,or they won't get a job.
The firm I work for is another that won't allow a union to come onto our premises to talk with drivers about any problems.
Thanks to people like Thatcher we still live in a country where the two owners of my firm have just taken a bonus of £1 million each while the people who earned that money haven't had a pay rise for at least the two years I've been here and are too frightened to kick up any fuss in case they lose their jobs.
Thatcher dead on 00:35 - Apr 10 with 1534 viewsSomersetHoops

Before Thatcher the unions were trying to cause anarchy in the country, because of the number of communists within the unions trying to undermine our democracy. Somebody had to have the guts to fight against that and it was Margaret Thatcher. I bought British cars which were sabotaged by the people making them. I had a new BL car that had three engines and three gearboxes during the 18 months I owned it. All of them were badly made and 2 were sabotaged. I believe it should be the elected government that runs the country and she fought hard to make it so.

During her later term she went too far with the right wing ideology of the Tory party and I didn't agree with many of those things. She believed in free market economics and its that which is to blane for the plight of much of our manufacturing industry. If we are not prepared to pay more for British products made with our expensive labour compared to China or India, then our manufacture will continue to decline. The only way to redress that is to invest in more automation which means low numbers of workers to produce products cheaper, but does not help with unemployment. The law of supply and demand operating at its purest would mean semi-skilled and unskilled workers here would progressively fall to a world average whilst those in China, India and other low labour cost countries would rise. Our labour force understandably bemoan losing their jobs to immigrants prepared to work for less, but this is just a symptom of this labour cost evening out in operation at a relatively moderate level.

In the 1950's and early 60's imported products carried high import duty that encouraged people to buy local products and this strategy could be effective again if caried out for a consistent period. It is not fashionable now and people in government don't do it for fear of starting a trade war and through years of deficit trade with China they have built up vast currency reserves which is basically where our loans are held. This means governments are frightened to upset them for fear of those loans being called in leading to our cuurency being practically worthless. Having allowed the trade deficit for so long was an error of every government since the 50's and has left us with our country's finances in a very weak state. It has failed even further due to the antics of the spivs using deposits in ordinary banks to gamble with and losing it while still pocketing massive bonuses or pay-offs for their failure. When I was in a company that paid bonus there was a simple rule; until the company reached its target profit level bonus was not to be paid. Whether my work within the company yielded profits, if the whole company did not reach target - I got nothing. This rule should be applied to the banks particularly those under government ownership.

If we ever have politicians really prepared to address all these issues it would take a very long time to put it right, but in the meantime I can only see living standards for ordinary people declining, while bankers and others who contribute very little continue to prosper. Despite the good that she did initially, Thatcher's overall free market policy has contributed greatly to these problems and each subsequent government has carried them on leading to the failure we now have.

Who's Next?

Thatcher dead on 00:40 - Apr 10 with 1531 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 00:31 - Apr 10 by stowmarketrange

The industry I work in (road haulage)is notorious for lack of union membership,mainly because a lot of truckers live in their cabs all week and never get back to see anyone.and also most haulage firms won't recognise a union,even if most of the drivers are in it.
This allows firms to get away with making sure that drivers know that they sometimes have to break the law,or they won't get a job.
The firm I work for is another that won't allow a union to come onto our premises to talk with drivers about any problems.
Thanks to people like Thatcher we still live in a country where the two owners of my firm have just taken a bonus of £1 million each while the people who earned that money haven't had a pay rise for at least the two years I've been here and are too frightened to kick up any fuss in case they lose their jobs.

Good to hear a dose of reality after all the naive and frankly other worldly stuff about people being paid what they're worth.

Air hostess clique

Thatcher dead on 00:50 - Apr 10 with 1520 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 00:31 - Apr 10 by stowmarketrange

Thanks to Thatcher ? Ffs that was over 30 years ago and yes I know what the fck I am talking about. 26 years in transport has taught me a thing or two.
Thatcher dead on 01:27 - Apr 10 with 1509 viewsjonno

Thatcher dead on 14:54 - Apr 8 by Clive_Anderson

The privitisations were a mixed bag really. No one really thinks that BT should be publically owned anymore (used to take 6 months for a phone line in those days) and for all the complaints about the railways they have had a fortune invested in them since privitisation and the number of rail passengers are now double that of when they were publically owned.

But the energy companies have an effective monopoly due to the difficulty in private companies creating alternative competition which has resulted in rising energy bills. It was a mistake to sell them off without taking this into account.

The price of energy was always going to rise quickly over the last twenty years, due to the decline of our oil and gas reserves in the North Sea, and the ever increasing world prices of those commodities. Nothing to do with "privatisation". In fact, when they were state owned, the Gas and Electricty utilities lost large amounts of money every year and were propped up by the taxpayer. Now they actually make money, which is being used to re-invest into the country's utility infrastructure, which was criminally under invested in under State control. And we still have the cheapest Gas and Electricity prices in Europe.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Thatcher dead on 05:56 - Apr 10 with 1478 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

Don't moan about your gas and water and electricity prices because thats one of her many legacies.
The public gets what the public wants.

What a lovely family of arms dealers with close links to genocidal dictators.
She HATED football fans and many other things you would consider working class.
The far right on here probably still get a semi over her war crime of sinking the Belgrano.
She got mugged off on Nationwide by a (commoner) about that.
C.U.N.T (deceased)

HA
HA
HA

HA
Some people are so thick that they actually believe that being anti Thatcher you must be a labour supporter or a communist?
No...most are just decent humans that like to see justice for the suffering that certain individuals throughout history have caused.
Vile human being.

Psycho killer Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Thatcher dead on 08:00 - Apr 10 with 1452 viewsBedford_R

Thatcher dead on 05:56 - Apr 10 by Kendo_Nagasaki

Don't moan about your gas and water and electricity prices because thats one of her many legacies.
The public gets what the public wants.

What a lovely family of arms dealers with close links to genocidal dictators.
She HATED football fans and many other things you would consider working class.
The far right on here probably still get a semi over her war crime of sinking the Belgrano.
She got mugged off on Nationwide by a (commoner) about that.
C.U.N.T (deceased)

HA
HA
HA

HA
Some people are so thick that they actually believe that being anti Thatcher you must be a labour supporter or a communist?
No...most are just decent humans that like to see justice for the suffering that certain individuals throughout history have caused.
Vile human being.

+1

Well said.

RMH_R Reborn

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024