Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road in 1923 19:00 - Aug 7 with 4138 viewsgobbles

I don't know if people have seen these before, but there are 2 old films on the British Pathe website of our FA Cup 4th round tie v Sheffield United in 1922-23, the year of the White Horse Cup Final. We lost 1-0, but seeing the ground as it was then in pretty fascinating.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/fight-for-the-cup-qpr-v-sheffield-united/query
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/more-scenes-of-qpr-v-sheffield-united/query/QP
Loftus Road in 1923 on 19:19 - Aug 7 with 4069 viewsVancouverHoop

The large buildings behind the South Africa Road embankment are interesting. They almost look like exhibition buildings or something.

The Valley really was a valley back then, it was massive.
Loftus Road in 1923 on 19:27 - Aug 7 with 4039 viewsgobbles

They were, that's how White City got its name

"The area now called White City was level arable farmfields until 1908, when it was used as the site of the Franco-British Exhibition and the 1908 Summer Olympics. In 1909 the exhibition site hosted the Imperial International Exhibition and in 1910, the Japan-British Exhibition. The final two exhibitions to be held there were the Latin-British (1912) and the Anglo-American (1914). During this period it was known as the Great White City due to the white marble cladding used on the exhibition pavilions, and hence gave its name to this part of Shepherd's Bush."
Loftus Road in 1923 on 20:05 - Aug 7 with 3991 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road in 1923 on 19:19 - Aug 7 by VancouverHoop

The large buildings behind the South Africa Road embankment are interesting. They almost look like exhibition buildings or something.

The Valley really was a valley back then, it was massive.

They were probably left over from the Franco-British Exhibition of 1908, of which the White City stadium was built fior.

Loftus Road in 1923 on 20:32 - Aug 7 with 3956 viewsVancouverHoop

Thanks. I didn't realise the exhibition site stretched that far West.
Loftus Road in 1923 on 20:43 - Aug 7 with 3938 viewslongbottom

Christ that United captain looked about 95 years old. I notice the pitch was in pristine condition, barely a blade of grass to be seen!
Loftus Road in 1923 on 20:56 - Aug 7 with 3915 viewsbosh67

I think some of those players are still under contract.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024