Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are Results all that matter this season? 15:44 - Dec 1 with 6043 viewsqprewan

Yes I know we lost yesterday but still nearly all of us would have taken our current league position at the start of the season and if we get 2 home wins this week, which we should do, then we will be right back in there. And yet at half time yesterday when we were winning the game the general consensus was that we had been bloody awfull. In fact in the majority of the matches in what lets be honest is a pretty poor league I have gone away frustrated by our inability or unwillingness to go out and dominate games and create lots of chances. Millwall was perhaps the clearest example of this but there have been many others - yesterday 63% possession and only one shot on target is truly pitiful against a little Donny team struggling with injuries..
I've even started to question myself - after the last 2 years surely I should just be grateful that we are up there competing for promotion- another thread touched on this yesterday, commenting on the poor atmosphere this season and this does seem true- the last promotion year was like a season long carnival in comparison to this year which seems like a drudge. Also I find it strange that as each game goes by I find that rather than singing the manager's name i am getting to dislike him more every week. For me he seems to have his favourites such as Zamorra last year and Kranjcar this season who is contributing virtually nothing game after game and whose lack of effort means that Austin is having to work his socks off up front on his own. Also he often seems tactically inept frequently making the wrong substitutions at the wrong time. Taking ONeil off yesterday was yet another example- yes he was not playing brilliantly but the man never stops running- so to take him off and leave Kranjcar and Jenas on the field was inexpicable to me.
Anyway, enough said, maybe I should stop complaining and just enjoy what could well be another promotion season - what does everyone else think.....?
Are Results all that matter this season? on 16:14 - Dec 1 with 5077 viewsNeil_SI

I don't mind possession football, but we need to progress and make that transition into penetrative possession better than we currently are.

Because we're struggling to do that, the performances can often appear a bit flat, especially when the play is at such a low tempo. We're not able to speed it up enough in the right moments to generate that excitement and sense of urgency.

It's hard to know whether that will come or not, one would hope so, but we still need more time to find out as we've a lot of players not at 100% for one reason or another.

Personnel wise, we do have three matches in a week, so that was probably a factor in which players were changed against Doncaster, so it's possible some changes were made with that in mind, more than being based on the actual performance.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 16:55 - Dec 1 with 5053 viewsQPRDave

Results are all that matter any season
Are Results all that matter this season? on 18:52 - Dec 1 with 4954 viewsted_hendrix

I cant deny that I have a thing about results.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 19:43 - Dec 1 with 4908 viewsShotKneesHoop

Top post. Spot on.

It's how we do it even more than if we do it. Why? Because it's what QPR do. Joyously.

Remember Wembley 1967. Thats our tradition. "Go out and enjoy yourself" - Sir Alec at half time.

Every game in our last promotion year was fantastic, why? Because we had style. Even in the first year back in the Prem, we had style, we just weren't very good at a lot of things.

This year, it just seems like going to work, clock in, clock out, no joy in the event.

If it snows on me next week in the West Paddock whilst watching clockwork football, that would top it all.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Are Results all that matter this season? on 19:54 - Dec 1 with 4891 viewsTheBlob

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Are Results all that matter this season? on 20:37 - Dec 1 with 4859 viewssmegma

The biggest problem we have is away from home where we dont seem to know how to unlock defences or take any chances that come our way. The last 5 on the road have been turgid bar the first 45s at the Den & the Madejski.3pts from 15 tells a story.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 22:52 - Dec 1 with 4774 viewscarrotcrunch_R

If it is a case of playing crap and win or playing brilliantly and lose I would take the crap display and the 3 points all day long . I think as fans we have too remember to be be patient we have a team here that is ready to go up they are going to have off days but hey ho we r third in the league unbeaten at home and it seems we are saying that the manager isn't up too standard. Just a warning be careful what you wish for or we could have another Hughes mullery or hart in charge . I feel the grass won't be greener with change of management and we should leave it at that until the end of the season and then decide.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2013 0:23]
Are Results all that matter this season? on 10:29 - Dec 2 with 4712 viewsPinnerPaul

Are Results all that matter this season? on 16:55 - Dec 1 by QPRDave

Spot on!
Login to get fewer ads

Are Results all that matter this season? on 10:46 - Dec 2 with 4705 viewsWatfordR

Whilst I think promotion by whatever means necessary is probably the only target this season, I don't see anything in the style of play that suggests we'd be capable of scoring a single goal in the whole of a season in the Prem. Can anyone hand on heart say they've seen anything on the pitch this season that has excited them about watching the current lot?
Are Results all that matter this season? on 10:55 - Dec 2 with 4690 viewsAntti_Heinola

Absolute nonsense.
Football should be about entertainment - if you're not producing anything entertaining, what's the point? Obviously wins are entertaining, but all this win at all costs is a load of rubbish. I'd rather finish 6th and be entertaining than 1st and be boring. But that's just me. I go to football to have fun and be entertained, not everyone's the same!

Bare bones.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:04 - Dec 2 with 4681 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Are Results all that matter this season? on 10:55 - Dec 2 by Antti_Heinola

Absolute nonsense.
Football should be about entertainment - if you're not producing anything entertaining, what's the point? Obviously wins are entertaining, but all this win at all costs is a load of rubbish. I'd rather finish 6th and be entertaining than 1st and be boring. But that's just me. I go to football to have fun and be entertained, not everyone's the same!

If results are all that mattered we'd all be Chelsea fans.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:27 - Dec 2 with 4665 viewsrrrspricey

Are Results all that matter this season? on 10:55 - Dec 2 by Antti_Heinola

Absolute nonsense.

I do agre Antti and have said a similar thing in other threads. For me, the fact that football has turned into a results based 'business' has torn the heart out of the game. I've spent over 40 years following my team and don't think i've ever enjoyed going to footy less than this seson

We know it can be done, just look at the 2010/11 season. Technically i think we have a better squad now but the performances don't reflect that and that can only be down to the nagative ethos of the manager / coaches.

We have enough talent to rip apart most clubs in this league but have only won by more than 1 goal twice this season against very poor boro / barnsley sides. I know our centre backs are slow but i honestly think a more positive attitude, defending from the front by attacking football would aloow us a 442 formation.

I don't see how HR can't see the massive difference (saturday aside) in our potential to score as soon as AJ comes on, which he inevitably does. There's no reason we can't get results and be entertained.

I'd kill to see us play like boxing day 2010 again...seems a lifetime ago
Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:33 - Dec 2 with 4654 viewsTheBlob

Why does it have to be entertaining performances OR results,why not both?
And who else,pray,is doing this in the Championship?Plus the fact the present team will bear almost no resemblance to the one which WILL be playing in the Prem.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:21 - Dec 2 with 4634 viewsWatfordR

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:33 - Dec 2 by TheBlob

Why does it have to be entertaining performances OR results,why not both?
And who else,pray,is doing this in the Championship?Plus the fact the present team will bear almost no resemblance to the one which WILL be playing in the Prem.

Well that's kind of what s bugging me. Aren't we then just making the same mistakes as last time we went up, i.e. huge turnover of playing personnel required, some players from this team on way less money than new players coming in, factions within the squad and so on.

Swansea, Norwich, Southampton, West Ham have all come up and stayed up comfortably. Cardiff and Hull look like dong the same whilst keeping the spine of the team that took them up, but what we have now wouldn't have a prayer in the Prem.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:36 - Dec 2 with 4623 viewsNorthernr

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:21 - Dec 2 by WatfordR

Well that's kind of what s bugging me. Aren't we then just making the same mistakes as last time we went up, i.e. huge turnover of playing personnel required, some players from this team on way less money than new players coming in, factions within the squad and so on.

Swansea, Norwich, Southampton, West Ham have all come up and stayed up comfortably. Cardiff and Hull look like dong the same whilst keeping the spine of the team that took them up, but what we have now wouldn't have a prayer in the Prem.

If that bloody Hull side can compete then we can compete.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:37 - Dec 2 with 4620 viewsTheBlob

Last time?Warnock was the archetypical manager that will get you up but not good enough for the Prem,like Harry Bassett and Olly.Harry(if he stays)should have the nous to change that trend.
There's been big spending amongst the clubs that went up.I dunno,looks like we've accumulated far too many old legs to grind out results in the Prem - and you do need to grind them out initially.Getting into that habit prepares you better for life in the higher level than poncey showboating - lovely to watch it may be - and if it can be rumbled at this level,god help us in the Next World.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:51 - Dec 2 with 4610 viewsWatfordR

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:36 - Dec 2 by Northernr

If we can't score goals in this league, and more importantly can't create the chances to score goals, then I don't see how.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:57 - Dec 2 with 4599 viewsessextaxiboy

Thats exactly what we are not doing . When we went up before it was down to Taraabt , all of the rest were just a supporting cast . We needed almost a whole team and couldnt do it and sustain it

Now we have a team that would only need maybe 2 or 3 to be competitive in the prem and we have 2 transfer windows yet
Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:11 - Dec 2 with 4584 viewsTheBlob

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:57 - Dec 2 by essextaxiboy

Thats exactly what we are not doing . When we went up before it was down to Taraabt , all of the rest were just a supporting cast . We needed almost a whole team and couldnt do it and sustain it

Now we have a team that would only need maybe 2 or 3 to be competitive in the prem and we have 2 transfer windows yet

More like 5 or 6 when you discount loanees.....

and Jenas.
Which of the current players are good enough in your opinion?

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:20 - Dec 2 with 4569 viewsthemodfather

maybe we forget injuries are affecting us and we have a whole team out on loan, some may be bad eggs but costing us a fortune.
i'd expect not to lose v doncaster, but they always play decent football

burnley blew a gasket at huddersfield and maybe had a case, not a pen and one goal given off when level but so what? their issues ending in a red, how will they cope if ings injured? or both vokes and ings?
leicester for some reason are so dislikeable.....i can't put a finger on it but they started the in admin and spend big, bringing in the 10 pts and it never affected them.
GOALS WIN GAMES and austin isolated to most isn't the partnership we need.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:22 - Dec 2 with 4567 viewsderbyhoop

This season, more than most, results are all that really matters. We get promoted, we get back on the gravy train, we get the new training ground up and running, we seriously look at a new ground, we get exposure in Air Asia's primary markets. The perfect scenario would be Fulham getting relegated as well, with us picking up a large proportion of their floating support.

If we don't get promoted all of those are in jeopardy and, with our current wage bill financial collapse remains a real possibility.

Harry has brought in players to get us up this year. He's not likely to be here for very long and neither are many of the current squad. Certainly not, if we miss out.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:43 - Dec 2 with 4552 viewsAntti_Heinola

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:20 - Dec 2 by themodfather

maybe we forget injuries are affecting us and we have a whole team out on loan, some may be bad eggs but costing us a fortune.
i'd expect not to lose v doncaster, but they always play decent football

burnley blew a gasket at huddersfield and maybe had a case, not a pen and one goal given off when level but so what? their issues ending in a red, how will they cope if ings injured? or both vokes and ings?
leicester for some reason are so dislikeable.....i can't put a finger on it but they started the in admin and spend big, bringing in the 10 pts and it never affected them.
GOALS WIN GAMES and austin isolated to most isn't the partnership we need.

injuries are affecting us?
we have players on the bench who most teams in this league would kill for, almost. plus, all teams have injuries.

Bare bones.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 14:59 - Dec 2 with 4536 viewsJonDoeman

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:43 - Dec 2 by Antti_Heinola

we have players on the bench who most teams in this league would kill for, almost. plus, all teams have injuries.

They are affecting us in terms of performance if not points , Burnley & Leicester have more or less had settled sides so far I believe.
Which helps!

And to answer the OP, a resounding YES. I get the feeling promotion is absolutely VITAL this season. So every 3points I'm finding thrilling.

It Is What It Is !!

Are Results all that matter this season? on 21:34 - Dec 2 with 4480 viewsTW_R

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:43 - Dec 2 by Antti_Heinola

I assume this was meant as tongue in cheek, no?
Are Results all that matter this season? on 05:27 - Dec 3 with 4421 viewsMelakaRanger

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:36 - Dec 2 by Northernr

+1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024