Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Learning to love January — Column 22:57 - Feb 3 with 3587 viewsNorthernr

Apologies, been away with work this week, here's the annual Transfer Window Assessment bit. Ipswich previewey stuff starts tomorrow.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/41919
Learning to love January — Column on 23:42 - Feb 3 with 3510 viewsdaveB

Well that was rather brilliant
Learning to love January — Column on 23:59 - Feb 3 with 3495 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Perfect, Clive.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Learning to love January — Column on 01:41 - Feb 4 with 3405 viewsFDC

Thanks Clive. Having such an eloquent voice of reason in amongst all the madness is a valuable thing.
Learning to love January — Column on 03:32 - Feb 4 with 3372 viewsisawqpratwcity

Thanks, Clive, for a great piece. I agree with a lot of it. The purchase of only cheap, but promising, youngsters we are taking a punt on can't be lauded as a success yet, but it does indicate a significant shift from the policy that has failed us expensively and almost without exception since August 2011.

I, too, was very pleased to see Fer and Sandro go on loan. If they come back, tail between their legs, so be it: the club did good business to get them out there on little more than previous reputation anyway. The Caulker deal doesn't really count, unless Liverpool finally opt to keep him, as there is no extension to the loan he was already on.

Austin was a well-handled deal: he wanted to go, and the club got as much as they reasonably could under the circumstances (was he genuinely injured?). I wish we had been able to sell Phillips: I don't think he is value-for-money for us, he isn't going to be the difference between consolidation and either relegation or promotion, and his cash value and savings would have been useful.

I would have liked to see the club bring in a full-back or two, and similar in mid-field. Like Washington, Ingram and El Khayati, they didn't have to 'names' or expensive, just reasonable, affordable punts in areas that need strengthening.

Mid-field needs strengthening? Yes, of course it does. It just unfortunately happens that we have a huge excess of mid-fielders that we should have shifted out, if we could have. I suppose there's only so many hours in the day, and only so many gullible clubs.

And finally Green. We don't want him, we don't need him and we're not going to use him, so why have we still got him? He should have gone on a free to anyone who'd take him, not necessarily just Palace. We could have, should have, suggested subsidising his new wages to match his current level for the remainder of what would have been our contract period, and would have still saved a load of money. Well, there's still the possibility of loaning him out, unless, as one poster wet-blanket-ly speculated this week, that loan appearances would still count towards that to-be-avoided-at-all-costs contract renewal trigger. Might that actually be the case?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2016 3:49]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Learning to love January — Column on 08:38 - Feb 4 with 3205 viewsRanger78

Excellent piece. I agree with every word.
Learning to love January — Column on 08:45 - Feb 4 with 3183 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I forgot about Mobido Maiga!

I just looked him up, after us he scored a few in the french league 2 with Metz and is now at Al-Nassr.

In other words he was as shit as we credited him with.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Learning to love January — Column on 09:33 - Feb 4 with 3118 viewsBlue_Castello

That was a superb article it echoes my thoughts over the transfer window, anybody who has a remote understanding of finances will realise if we retained the Premiership players we were on a road to FFP sanctions big time.

I am tired of reading people complaining about Ferdinand because the bloke was given a very big task and some seem to expect instant results. As I have posted before since January 2015 Ferdinand and subsequently Lee Hoos have done a very good job gradually shifting expensive players and replacing them with younger, cheaper options who desperately want to succeed at our club. As you rightly pointed out not all the new recruits will hit the ground running but some will and others will either eventually succeed or be replaced BUT they are low cost options on Sensible contracts.

I totally steer clear of Twitter and Facebook "stuff" unfortunately social media seems to attract some right idiots who struggle to engage the brain before typing. There's no question in my mind we are moving in the right direction, the old saying Rome wasn't built in a day, we can't expect everything to happen in one transfer window.

If we want promotion in 2/3 years then let's try and replicate the Leicester model, they gradually built a strong squad with cover in all positions but importantly players happy playing their football in the Championship, building their careers with their team with the goal of promotion.

We have hopefully retained enough experience to work with the new recruits which will give us a chance of a successful run to the end of the season, more than happy with mid table and some good performances anything else a bonus. I think we all wanted Philips to move at the right price, if we can't get our valuation and I suspect Boros deal was not as good as the papers were reporting, then he's still a good asset till the end of the season when his transfer fee will be roughly the same. The point being with Philips is that although he doesn't help the full back sometimes he's a very good Championship player, can put in a wicked cross even though he doesn't always take on or beat his man and JFH has him working harder as part of his pressing game.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2016 10:16]
Learning to love January — Column on 10:53 - Feb 4 with 3029 viewsJonDoeman

The "right sort revolution" was after we were relegated , players like, Richard Dunne, Danny Simpson, Matt Phillips, Karl Henry, Gary O'Neil, Charlie Austin . It is going to take some rewrite of history to say we didn't do good business that summer! He fcked it up a year later by signing expensive flops . A season too far for dear old Harry !

It Is What It Is !!

Login to get fewer ads

Learning to love January — Column on 11:14 - Feb 4 with 2996 viewssimmo

Learning to love January — Column on 10:53 - Feb 4 by JonDoeman

The "right sort revolution" was after we were relegated , players like, Richard Dunne, Danny Simpson, Matt Phillips, Karl Henry, Gary O'Neil, Charlie Austin . It is going to take some rewrite of history to say we didn't do good business that summer! He fcked it up a year later by signing expensive flops . A season too far for dear old Harry !

'Kranjcar, Benayoun, Maiga, Assou-Ekkoto, Keane, Hughes, Dellatore, Chevanton, Onyewu, Doyle, Carroll'

No doubt 'Arry had his own motivations for this tranche of 'good business'.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Learning to love January — Column on 11:34 - Feb 4 with 2952 viewsadhoc_qpr

I initially felt we'd weakened in the window - but when i took a step back i realised Austin hadn't been playing and has been replaced, we already have Fer's replacement in Chery, Sandro never played either and El Khayati will probably offer much more then JET.

So where exactly have we weakened?

It would have been nice to get shot of Green, but we might as well keep him in case of a rash of goalkeeping injuries.
Learning to love January — Column on 11:59 - Feb 4 with 2912 viewsisawqpratwcity

Learning to love January — Column on 11:34 - Feb 4 by adhoc_qpr

I initially felt we'd weakened in the window - but when i took a step back i realised Austin hadn't been playing and has been replaced, we already have Fer's replacement in Chery, Sandro never played either and El Khayati will probably offer much more then JET.

So where exactly have we weakened?

It would have been nice to get shot of Green, but we might as well keep him in case of a rash of goalkeeping injuries.

Loaning JET out was a good bit of biz, too. I had thought the last time he scored was Bolton, but it was actually against MKD (20/10/15). I still maintain that he'd gone off the boil but tbf he had only appeared in about half the games since.

Polter definitely showed he was hungrier.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Learning to love January — Column on 12:50 - Feb 4 with 2844 viewsJigsore

Learning to love January — Column on 11:59 - Feb 4 by isawqpratwcity

Loaning JET out was a good bit of biz, too. I had thought the last time he scored was Bolton, but it was actually against MKD (20/10/15). I still maintain that he'd gone off the boil but tbf he had only appeared in about half the games since.

Polter definitely showed he was hungrier.

he doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself, like Fer he just doesn't show his brilliance often enough. In a high tempo pressing system there's just no room for people like that. It was a gamble, it didn't really pay off

Polter on the other hand is perfect for it. I had a very wide grin on my face when he scored against Rotherham and literally had no energy to celebrate. He gives everything.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Learning to love January — Column on 13:01 - Feb 4 with 2833 viewsjamois

As ever Clive, the inverse of a Joey Barton pass, unerring and pin-point accuracy.

A quote: "Generally it seems that when the club plays it low key, we don’t really know who the player is, we barely even notice his arrival, and sites like this don’t get all moist and hot under the collar about the arrival — that’s when we’re at our most successful in the transfer market."

This should result in Yelko Pinko being the next Roy Wegerle.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Learning to love January — Column on 15:43 - Feb 4 with 2669 viewsNorthernr

Learning to love January — Column on 10:53 - Feb 4 by JonDoeman

Doesn't take a re-write of history at all, it takes a look at the accounts. Took our wage bill to £79m, highest ever in the Championship, massive breach of FFP for which we're going to end up in an arbitration hearing and a punishment yet to be decided. Good 'business' it most certainly was not.
Learning to love January — Column on 17:55 - Feb 4 with 2531 viewsBklynRanger

Great stuff Clive, all true. The only minor quibble I'd have is the use of Rio Ferdinand as the first example. On the face of it he is indeed the perfect example, and we knew that. Speaking for myself though, the news of his wife's death changed that.

Yes he was an expensive, aging player at the very end of his career, and in that sense typical of our recent fcuk-ups. But if there's an example of a player whose mind probably wasn't properly on his game he had to be it surely? At a time when many others would have to rely on the extra yard in their head I just don't think he could.

RF probably shouldn't have taken the contract with us. Redknapp did a lot of talk about convincing him. And it's completely possible that he might have been utterly shit anyway, but based on his personal circumstances I've chosen to delete him from the list of villains.
Learning to love January — Column on 18:35 - Feb 4 with 2492 viewsterryb

Learning to love January — Column on 23:42 - Feb 3 by daveB

Well that was rather brilliant

Dave,

An absolutely brilliant & accurate response!

Thank you Clive.

My only problem's with the window, is that we still have Green & Phillips on the payroll, plus our other superstars have only been loaned.

Still, we should not expect Rangers to deliver miracles, which is what would have been required to achieve that!
Learning to love January — Column on 19:38 - Feb 4 with 2439 viewsstevec

A good article and find myself agreeing with the sentiments expressed.

However, whilst I can understand the disenchantment with the types we've been signing for a number of years, going from one extremity to another is not necessarily the pathway to success.

I am all for signing unsung up and coming players but there comes a point when too many League One players may create it's own self prophesy. Sure, there's room for some, but there's also a requirement for players who have proven their ability in the Championship and I am a little concerned that we are not picking up players from our own Division.

It's no coincidence that our 2nd tier promoted sides came not from 3rd tier signings but from those in and around the top of said 2nd tier. Givens, Thomas, Bowles, Gregory, Flanagan, Derry, Hill. Signings that lifted upwardly mobile teams not quite able previously to reach promotion or play off positions in the previous seasons.

This season is a dead rubber. The January window has therefore been utilised sensibly. But if we are to push on next season then this summer needs to be a period of removing the high earning deadwood whilst investing in solid Championship performers.
Learning to love January — Column on 23:54 - Feb 4 with 2272 viewsdaveB

Learning to love January — Column on 19:38 - Feb 4 by stevec

However, whilst I can understand the disenchantment with the types we've been signing for a number of years, going from one extremity to another is not necessarily the pathway to success.

I am all for signing unsung up and coming players but there comes a point when too many League One players may create it's own self prophesy. Sure, there's room for some, but there's also a requirement for players who have proven their ability in the Championship and I am a little concerned that we are not picking up players from our own Division.

It's no coincidence that our 2nd tier promoted sides came not from 3rd tier signings but from those in and around the top of said 2nd tier. Givens, Thomas, Bowles, Gregory, Flanagan, Derry, Hill. Signings that lifted upwardly mobile teams not quite able previously to reach promotion or play off positions in the previous seasons.

This season is a dead rubber. The January window has therefore been utilised sensibly. But if we are to push on next season then this summer needs to be a period of removing the high earning deadwood whilst investing in solid Championship performers.

I do agree we'll need a few good solid championship players but all about the balance of the team. Id have thought Perch and Koncheskey fitted the bill as solid championship players to do a job at this level, even Henry you'd think should fit that role but they haven't really worked so no real perfect answer. Signings are always going to be hit and miss no matter who makes them
Learning to love January — Column on 23:57 - Feb 4 with 2271 viewsPunteR

Agree with this. We cant just buy good league 1 players and expect a good championship team. you end up with a good league 1 team.
There needs to be a mix which hopefully we'll get next season.
End of the day though, things need to be right off the pitch first before we start rebuilding. Doesn't matter what players we sign, if things are not right behind the scenes, then you get player unrest. I hope its settled down a bit after the sacking of Ramsey, Gallen etc.
We need to settle down as a club and get some continuity with players,coaches,managers.

Good article Clive.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Learning to love January — Column on 07:15 - Feb 5 with 2164 viewsdaveB

I don't think it's about league one players it's more identifying players in league one, two and conference who could be good championship players, bring them in and coach them to make them the player we want. Mo idea if we'll manage it but the intent is refreshing after the last few years
Learning to love January — Column on 10:52 - Feb 5 with 2045 viewssimmo

Learning to love January — Column on 07:15 - Feb 5 by daveB

I don't think it's about league one players it's more identifying players in league one, two and conference who could be good championship players, bring them in and coach them to make them the player we want. Mo idea if we'll manage it but the intent is refreshing after the last few years

I agree more with this. We already had proven Championship players in Chief, Faurlin, Phillips, Henry, Hoilett etc. We also bought proven players from this league in the summer with Smithies, Perch, Mackie, Hall, Angella, Toszer.

The thing about picking players up from league 1 and below, or youth from premier league academies (Trippier is a good example), is that it's a risk they might not develop to be effective enough, but if that happens, it's hardly cost us anything to find that out. Unlike the risks of buying someone for £6-10m on £20-40k p/w wages that then doesn't work out. Top, proven Championship players are going for more than that even so I think we would be better off creating them than buying them ready made.

There are however really good players in this league that could be affordable and improve on what we have, but I think we will need to sell to buy. For example if we'd have sold Phillips for £6-8m, we could have gone and got someone like Henry from Wolves for around half that, then put the rest in the bank. That's the way forwards IMO.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Learning to love January — Column on 11:10 - Feb 5 with 2034 viewsbosh67

Excellent article Clive.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Learning to love January — Column on 13:25 - Feb 5 with 1944 viewsCamberleyR

It's also no coincidence that the 72-73 and 82-83 teams also had a fair smattering of good quality home grown youngsters; Clement, Gillard, Gerry and Hucker, Neill, Dawes, Waddock.

Those sides were also coming from a much higher base than now having just missed out on promotion the season before therefore were probably fairly confident going into the following season. Much easier to add a couple of decent players into already well oiled machines.

Also Derry and Hill are stretching a point as the season before they joined they were involved in a last day relegation shoot out with Sheffield Wednesday. And they were only mid table (finished below us ) the season before.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Learning to love January — Column on 13:30 - Feb 5 with 1940 viewsPunteR

Learning to love January — Column on 10:52 - Feb 5 by simmo

I agree more with this. We already had proven Championship players in Chief, Faurlin, Phillips, Henry, Hoilett etc. We also bought proven players from this league in the summer with Smithies, Perch, Mackie, Hall, Angella, Toszer.

The thing about picking players up from league 1 and below, or youth from premier league academies (Trippier is a good example), is that it's a risk they might not develop to be effective enough, but if that happens, it's hardly cost us anything to find that out. Unlike the risks of buying someone for £6-10m on £20-40k p/w wages that then doesn't work out. Top, proven Championship players are going for more than that even so I think we would be better off creating them than buying them ready made.

There are however really good players in this league that could be affordable and improve on what we have, but I think we will need to sell to buy. For example if we'd have sold Phillips for £6-8m, we could have gone and got someone like Henry from Wolves for around half that, then put the rest in the bank. That's the way forwards IMO.

Your right, we have already got proven championship players but a lot of them wont be here next season so I hope they will be adequately replaced.

I do wonder why Onouha has been let off so lightly. He's on big wages as well if I'm not mistaken. Will he be moved on? Angella Imo is a suitable replacement,if we're trying to get the wages down.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024