Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? 12:55 - Apr 28 with 2745 viewsR_from_afar

I'm personally delighted to see two teams taking a different approach to the much vaunted possession football and thriving on it. Their marking and closing down is incredible and a lesson to all teams. I'd love to think JFH shows the Rangers squad video footage of these two teams to demonstrate just what can be achieved if players concentrate, show tenacity and put in maximum effort.

A breath of fresh air

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:20 - Apr 28 with 2708 viewsNorthernr

It was Mourinho, and a Portuguese guy who mentored him, that first came up with this idea that you don't need the ball at all. One of the reasons he didn't get, and never will get, the Barcelona job. Atletico are like a classic Mourinho side for me - utterly flagrant and cynical in their execution of it.

There's a long piece on Mourinho and Barcelona here http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/22/devil-and-jose-mourinho but essentially

1. The game is won by the team who commit fewer errors.

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes.

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6. Whoever has the ball has fear.

7. Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger.

Leicester are just a classic English side aren't they? Two wingers, two forwards, sling it forward every time you get it, try and work harder and run harder than everybody else. Must say I find this far more entertaining to watch than the Swansea/Arsenal mini Barcelona routine where 30 passes are completed and nothing is achieved.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:22 - Apr 28 with 2702 viewsbob566

i think Bayern will turn them over in the return leg.

you have to admire their work rate but boy can they be cynical at times. They do the things that would wind you up on a football pitch. Apparently the manager threw a second ball on the pitch to stop an oppositions attack last week. Their brute of a defender faking injury last night and as soon as vidal or whoever it was went up to them and called them a cheat they hopped up from their simulated injury and started effing and blinding at the Bayern player. Then the lad who played on even though the ball was around a foot over the sideline ingoring the refs whistle. Little things the last resulting in a Bayern player getting frustrated and taking him out resulting in a booking and then the Bayern gk getting booked too for complaining whilst the real perpetrator walked off scot-free

You can't take away from their work ethic though. Its outstanding.
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:23 - Apr 28 with 2698 viewsNov77

personally i wouldn't cross the road to watch to leicester play, that said i dont like the tippy tappy possession for the sake of it approach either.

Liked the old days when teams had wingers who would run at their opponents, crosses going in, end to end games.

players are too much like athletes now, lose possession and everyone sprints back to form two banks of four in front of their own penalty area.

wonder if someone like le tissier would get a game now. Adel would have been a star back in the day.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:24 - Apr 28 with 2696 viewsPinnerPaul

Yes that's a big part of it.

What Leicester also have is pace & several players who can convert those breaks into goals.

Most teams should be able to get themselves organised enough and fit enough to do the closing down bit, its turning that "minority" possession - think Leicester only had 35% possession v Swansea for example - into g/s chances and those chances into goals - THAT's what they've done so well this season IMHO.
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:30 - Apr 28 with 2677 viewsNorthernr

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:24 - Apr 28 by PinnerPaul

Yes that's a big part of it.

What Leicester also have is pace & several players who can convert those breaks into goals.

Most teams should be able to get themselves organised enough and fit enough to do the closing down bit, its turning that "minority" possession - think Leicester only had 35% possession v Swansea for example - into g/s chances and those chances into goals - THAT's what they've done so well this season IMHO.

Pace is the new possession I reckon, teams will look at Leicester and realise that while we were going all Spanish and 4-2-3-1 and possession based we've taken all the pace out of our sides. It's a key problem with this QPR side of ours as well, no bloody pace anywhere.
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:38 - Apr 28 with 2664 viewstraininvain

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:20 - Apr 28 by Northernr

It was Mourinho, and a Portuguese guy who mentored him, that first came up with this idea that you don't need the ball at all. One of the reasons he didn't get, and never will get, the Barcelona job. Atletico are like a classic Mourinho side for me - utterly flagrant and cynical in their execution of it.

There's a long piece on Mourinho and Barcelona here http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/22/devil-and-jose-mourinho but essentially

1. The game is won by the team who commit fewer errors.

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes.

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6. Whoever has the ball has fear.

7. Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger.

Leicester are just a classic English side aren't they? Two wingers, two forwards, sling it forward every time you get it, try and work harder and run harder than everybody else. Must say I find this far more entertaining to watch than the Swansea/Arsenal mini Barcelona routine where 30 passes are completed and nothing is achieved.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Interesting but not necessarily most effective. Barcelona have still won more Champions Leagues than any other club over the last 10 years.

They have also dominated La Liga against teams including those coached by Mourinho and Simeone.

Just goes to show that opinions on football are not uniform as I would say that Guardiola's Barcelona are the best football team I've ever seen. Great to watch and rarely lost for a good two to three years.
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 14:53 - Apr 28 with 2593 viewsNorthernr

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:38 - Apr 28 by traininvain

Interesting but not necessarily most effective. Barcelona have still won more Champions Leagues than any other club over the last 10 years.

They have also dominated La Liga against teams including those coached by Mourinho and Simeone.

Just goes to show that opinions on football are not uniform as I would say that Guardiola's Barcelona are the best football team I've ever seen. Great to watch and rarely lost for a good two to three years.

Yeh they're freakishly good. It's not my opinion, it's Mourinho's.
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 15:05 - Apr 28 with 2576 viewsBoston

Possession obsession, worked for me as a kid...."it's my ball and I'm going home".

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 16:09 - Apr 28 with 2536 viewsPinnerPaul

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:30 - Apr 28 by Northernr

Pace is the new possession I reckon, teams will look at Leicester and realise that while we were going all Spanish and 4-2-3-1 and possession based we've taken all the pace out of our sides. It's a key problem with this QPR side of ours as well, no bloody pace anywhere.

I agree - Routledge, Townsend and Walker all thrived for us in the Championship as defenders at this level hate anyone with pace.
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 19:24 - Apr 28 with 2397 viewsDannytheR

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 13:30 - Apr 28 by Northernr

You could see how much a bit of real pace changes our game when Petrasso came on at the weekend. I've still got no idea if the lad is any good or not, but just having him there hareing up the touchline put Reading on the back foot.
Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 19:54 - Apr 28 with 2369 viewsstevec

Atletico Madrid and Leicester City: Ending the possession obsession? on 19:24 - Apr 28 by DannytheR

You could see how much a bit of real pace changes our game when Petrasso came on at the weekend. I've still got no idea if the lad is any good or not, but just having him there hareing up the touchline put Reading on the back foot.

Agree entirely.

Abandon this 1 up front, try Petrasso down the right, get some pace and effort down the left and we may not need the mass summer buys after all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024