Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1967 & twitter! 15:40 - Aug 31 with 1168 viewsPinnerPaul

Been thinking abut writing this for while now, since the PNE defeat actually.

Been busy and then the moment seemed to go, but Clive re posting the absurd reaction on twitter to CK's transfer has encouraged me to write this.

I was at the 1967 final and can only remember a few details. Problem when you are that young (I was 6) is that its now hard to distinguish my "real" memories from footage that I've seen plenty of times since.

What IS a real memory though is the reaction of my Granddad at half time. Obviously being 6, the 0-2 scoreline was the end of my day/world at that time.

Before I reveal what he said and why it has stuck in my mind, I can't help but imagine what the twitterarti would have been tweeting (Is that still the correct term?) when the 2nd WBA goal went in - the match threads on here contain some pretty down beat posts as soon as we concede as well!

It seems to me that EVERYTHING has to be off the scale one way or the other, everything is FINAL, its all black & white and EVERYONE is convinced they are correct, as Clive has said you can't help but think our fan base in the main has changed for the worse in this internet age.

Anyway, bored you enough, what did my Granddad say to a very upset 6 year old? :- "Don't worry boy, we can still win this"

Of course he was right, but even if he wasn't, he would still have been there next match., next season, not moaning, not cheering much either from what I can remember, but proud, very proud of his beloved Rs - come rain or shine.

Just don't seem many like him (or my Dad - Granddad was my mother's Dad btw) around now.

1967 & twitter! on 20:34 - Aug 31 with 1007 viewshook_hoops

I think there's a lot more just like your grandad than you think Pinner, but they are a silent majority
1967 & twitter! on 20:47 - Aug 31 with 985 viewsBucksRanger

I was 16 when that game was played.

I was on the terrace at the end where all the goals were scored.

At 0-2 down half-time there wasn't a man around me that didn't think QPR wouldn't win in the end. That's how confident QPR fans were that year.

Most of us believed that on any given week the Rangers could have beaten the England team.

The football that team played was glorious to watch.
1967 & twitter! on 21:08 - Aug 31 with 946 viewsfrancisbowles

I was 9 that year but it was almost a different sport then. Football has become so serious and such big business now that managers fear the sack if they are not in the top six and sometimes when they are. Alec Stock had a few years to build that side and he sent them out to have a go.

Nowadays, teams are set up to frustrate the opposition and hope for a quick break. Everybody is risk averse, the cost is so high, so quick, if it goes wrong. We are not and shouldn't really expect to be different from the norm. Whether it's JFH, Ramsey or whoever in charge, they are trying to build a career and if/when it goes wrong they are one step nearer obscurity.
1967 & twitter! on 21:12 - Aug 31 with 938 viewspompeyhoop

100% agree the hysteria is embarrassing, short sighted and so boring, I stay away from Twitter when we're playing it makes me hate our fans!

Anton Ferdinand was not a very good footballer...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024