Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? 12:44 - May 11 with 4200 viewsBklynRanger

I've decided to deal with the crushing weight of daily reality by making my own savoury, vegetable-based condiments.

To actionalize this I bought a Nutri Ninja blender and have seldom felt more alive.

The recipe is based on a West Indian one and is basically:
- Two bags of scotch bonnets
- Coriander
- A lot of garlic
- White wine vinegar
- Salt etc

I'm happy with the results so far though I'd like to get it a bit more 'gloopy' so any pointers on that, or other recipe ideas would be great.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 12:50 - May 11 with 3490 viewsbob566

cornflour will thicken it up
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 13:11 - May 11 with 3452 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 12:50 - May 11 by bob566

cornflour will thicken it up

That it will, but do remember to cook it out though.

Alternatively, you could add other thickening agents like: gelatin, pectin (which some jam sugars have) or the vegan alternative, agar-agar. If you wanted real thickening agent, then Harry Redknapp's bloke usually does a good job on densifying the most financially liquid of football club owners.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 13:14 - May 11 with 3440 viewsMick_S

Agar agar is a reversable hydrocolloid.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 13:14 - May 11 with 3440 viewsBklynRanger

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 13:11 - May 11 by PlanetHonneywood

That it will, but do remember to cook it out though.

Alternatively, you could add other thickening agents like: gelatin, pectin (which some jam sugars have) or the vegan alternative, agar-agar. If you wanted real thickening agent, then Harry Redknapp's bloke usually does a good job on densifying the most financially liquid of football club owners.

Thanks, maybe I'll go with the gelatin. That's animal based isn't it? I can probably squeeze some out of a cat.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 13:17 - May 11 with 3431 viewsToast_R

Got to be Ghost Naga chillies.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 13:24 - May 11 with 3420 viewsBklynRanger

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 13:17 - May 11 by Toast_R

Got to be Ghost Naga chillies.

What are they like on the way out though Toast? I can't be dealing with a full day of 'the shits'.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 14:59 - May 11 with 3369 viewsToast_R

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 13:24 - May 11 by BklynRanger

What are they like on the way out though Toast? I can't be dealing with a full day of 'the shits'.

Bit of a Johnny Cash but nothing too concerning. The way down is where it's at.

A colleague of mine brought a load of them back from the US. As a challenge, a few of us "men" decided to slice one up and eat a sample raw. Beautiful flavor for a few seconds before the eyes start watering and the mouth feels like it's been stung by about 7 or 8 Box jelly fish. Even when that dies down (20 minutes or so) you can feel it inside your gut glowing. If you decide to cook with them open all the windows and make sure the kitchen is properly vented as once those seeds pop all hell breaks lose.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 15:04]
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 15:08 - May 11 with 3352 viewsBklynRanger

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 14:59 - May 11 by Toast_R

Bit of a Johnny Cash but nothing too concerning. The way down is where it's at.

A colleague of mine brought a load of them back from the US. As a challenge, a few of us "men" decided to slice one up and eat a sample raw. Beautiful flavor for a few seconds before the eyes start watering and the mouth feels like it's been stung by about 7 or 8 Box jelly fish. Even when that dies down (20 minutes or so) you can feel it inside your gut glowing. If you decide to cook with them open all the windows and make sure the kitchen is properly vented as once those seeds pop all hell breaks lose.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 15:04]

Entertaining stuff.

I heard Brixton market may have a good selection of chillies. Will be looking into that at the weekend I think.
Login to get fewer ads

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 15:29 - May 11 with 3337 viewshoof_hearted

Don't waste your time. Source this sauce and take the weekend off.

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 15:40 - May 11 with 3321 viewsBrightonhoop

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 15:29 - May 11 by hoof_hearted

Don't waste your time. Source this sauce and take the weekend off.

Or cut out the middle man and just flush it straight down the bog.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 16:01 - May 11 with 3303 viewsBklynRanger

I used to like that Sriracha stuff but can't be bothered with it now. Too mild and sweet or something.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 16:11 - May 11 with 3291 viewsbob566

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 16:01 - May 11 by BklynRanger

I used to like that Sriracha stuff but can't be bothered with it now. Too mild and sweet or something.

that's the problem with chilli sauces. You just keep going higher and higher. Tesco brought out these beauties half a year ago or so and I bought a pack and threw a few chopped up into a curry.

It nearly killed me.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/12/the-komodo-dragon-chilli-pepper-is-the-hottest-chi
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 16:21 - May 11 with 3276 viewsBklynRanger

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 16:11 - May 11 by bob566

that's the problem with chilli sauces. You just keep going higher and higher. Tesco brought out these beauties half a year ago or so and I bought a pack and threw a few chopped up into a curry.

It nearly killed me.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/12/the-komodo-dragon-chilli-pepper-is-the-hottest-chi

Yeah that sounds too hot. Can't afford a new stomach lining on my wages.

If a scotch bonnet is 350,000 (according to that) I'd probably put my limit somewhere in the 700,000 range.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 20:54 - May 11 with 3151 viewsDWQPR

When the OP was asking about thickening it up was he referring to the sauce of the results?

A better idea is to buy some 'slimming' teas with added senna. Got some in Barbados last summer and they are like rocket fuel.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 22:52 - May 11 with 3103 viewsBoston

I've had some great chilli, but I've had far more crappy ones. Go for flavour over heat, otherwise I'm not coming to dinner.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 22:55 - May 11 with 3100 viewsted_hendrix

Mr Bridge, If i may be so bold you are so stuck in the 80's.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 01:00 - May 12 with 3064 viewsBoston

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 22:55 - May 11 by ted_hendrix

Mr Bridge, If i may be so bold you are so stuck in the 80's.

...s'funny coming from a bloke who died in 1970.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 08:00 - May 12 with 3020 viewsNorthLondonR

If you're in New York you should definitely get hold of a bottle of Marie Sharps Belizean sauce. Maybe not the hottest but by far the tastiest of hot pepper sauces.

My girlfriend's auntie steams about 50 habaneros and simply blends them with a small amount of cornflour and reaults in the hottest but flavoursome thing you ever tasted. Problem is that you need the peppars fresh and to have been growing under the tropical sun for the sauce to be at its tastiest, however im sure it'll taste good should by them from a new york store.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 08:25 - May 12 with 3008 viewsMick_S

A question folks: How long will the sauce keep in the fridge and how can you increase its shelf life?

Scorchio.

Apolgies. Two questions. Stoopid.
[Post edited 12 May 2017 8:44]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 09:35 - May 12 with 2974 views1MoreBrightonR

You can get Marie Sharps in London....a few shops in Stoke Newington and maybe Walthamstow sell it. Susans Bajan hot pepper sauce is pretty decent too.

Siracha sauce....i have a bottle and use it but it's so over hyped. Its more like a spicy ketchup than a hot sauce. Good for some things but nothing compared to a good west indian sauce.

Cholulu mexican sauce is good if you want some flavour but not too much spice.
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 09:55 - May 12 with 2957 viewsdolcelatte

Caroline Reaper. There said it. Eat it and weep. About to make up a batch of sauce soon. Will put the recipe up. Scorching hot but flavour as well. Actually the flavour comes first then the heat hits you but at least you get the task flavour first. Go to any chilli festival and there are plenty of dick waving extracts about that just induce pain. What is the point?

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 10:51 - May 12 with 2932 viewsCopenranger

I think, I might have a bit of a chili sauce addiction. If I see a new bottle in the supermarket, I find it very hard to pass it without picking it up and as a result my fridge/cupboard usually holds at least 3-4 different sauces.

The ones I make myself are usually based on tomato paste, something like this..

http://fussfreeflavours.com/kebab-shop-chilli-sauce/

..except I wouldn't use tin tomatoes, but more tomato paste/-puree and add some good olive oil and perhaps a few other spices (don't have a fixed recipe). Excellent for all meat dishes, sandwiches etc.
A nice thing about this type of sauce is, that you can just top it with a small layer of olive oil, whenever you feel it needs to be sealed/conserved/freshened up, like you do with pesto.
Btw look for the Scriracha sauce with the red cap, much better than the green one (and hotter) imo, but not as easy to find..
Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 11:44 - May 12 with 2901 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A few years back I was in Northern Thailand and stopped in a little back of beyond place for lunch. Talking chili and the man brings out his home concoction, which he wouldn't serve me or any foreigners on the basis that it regularly blew the tits off the uninitiated!

He did however, offer a taste from his weaker vintage and while I have a reasonably high tolerance for chilies, this stuff had me swearing like a banshee and sweating like a rapist going through the menopause.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 11:54 - May 12 with 2891 viewsDorse

I grew some chillies a couple of years ago and used them in all sorts of cooking. Towards the end of the season, I used the last few to make a chilli, rosemary and garlic oil. Really simple to do and tastes great.

My kids (Mini Dorse and Tantor) are both a bit shy of spicy food but even they liked the oil.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Anybody making your own chilli sauce? on 17:09 - May 12 with 2847 viewsBklynRanger

Some good stuff on here today I see, most encouraging!

I'm not in NY anymore NorthLondonR - back here now, but I'll look out for that woman's sauce (thanks 1MoreBrightonR). Similarly I started making these because the wife was missing this Trinidad sauce that a co-workers mum was making - was highly explosive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024