Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Much Football do you watch 14:32 - Oct 6 with 7228 viewspaulparker

when I was a kid and into my twenties I would watch every game I could on the TV, every show about football on all channels covering all leagues I was football obsessed ,
my life revolved around any game on the box even the crap beach soccer on Eurosport I would watch in the summer
now unless im in the pub with the lads I don't watch it , I hardly watch it at home even the so called big games I cant be bothered
I did like the Euro qualifiers a couple of years ago but I think that was because I wanted wales and the Irish teams to get through ,
but now I find it a real chore to actually sit through a whole 90 minutes of any game
I say to myself im gonna watch this and that from serie A or La liga but then I find something else to do
is it me or is anyone else bored or are you a football maniac or cannot get enough

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

How Much Football do you watch on 14:50 - Oct 6 with 3694 viewsNov77

As a kid I was either watching football, playing football or thinking about football.
Today I watch hardly any. Don't even watch match of the day anymore, if there's a live game on on a Sunday I'll have it on in the background whilst reading the paper on the iPad etc. But to be honest if England are playing cricket I'd rather watch that.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

How Much Football do you watch on 14:54 - Oct 6 with 3689 viewssuperstan

I hardly watch any at all now, don't know is it's an age thing (58 now) or just disillusioned with it all, I used to watch MOTD religiously but not seen for years, I sometimes don't even know (apart from ours) that midweek games are going on sometimes.
How Much Football do you watch on 14:55 - Oct 6 with 3686 viewsNorthernr

A lot, but not as much as I used to.

I find a lot of the stuff that enthuses other football fans, including a lot of my mates, doesn't interest me in the slightest. Champions League, particularly the group stages, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich. That all just feels so completely alien to the football I'm emotionally invested in it's almost a different sport entirely. I used to listen to a few football podcasts religiously but it started to annoy me that the Football League got a brief two minute mention, while La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A would get loads of airtime every week. "Ooooh it's the Madrid derby this weekend". Give a sht.

But if you tell me Tranmere v Orient is on, I'll sit and watch that and really enjoy it.
How Much Football do you watch on 14:56 - Oct 6 with 3680 viewsMick_S

I think we may be doing it to ourselves to a certain extent, Paul - I know I have. We have Sky, BT Sport and the BBC in our house and to over simplify things, we have all, except my wife, just watched too much football over the years. The only time I get mildly excited is when Rangers are on the box, and naturally, that optimism often fades rather quickly!

Plus, all the incompetents running the game and the greedy c nuts playing it, may have a bit to do with it too.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

How Much Football do you watch on 14:59 - Oct 6 with 3673 viewsNorthernr

How Much Football do you watch on 14:56 - Oct 6 by Mick_S

I think we may be doing it to ourselves to a certain extent, Paul - I know I have. We have Sky, BT Sport and the BBC in our house and to over simplify things, we have all, except my wife, just watched too much football over the years. The only time I get mildly excited is when Rangers are on the box, and naturally, that optimism often fades rather quickly!

Plus, all the incompetents running the game and the greedy c nuts playing it, may have a bit to do with it too.

In that Sky piece I did for the site last year, I did say Sky would end up regretting putting so much football on. They're like razor manufacturers - how can we improve? More blades. So in the last deal they had 178 Football League games, the only way they can 'improve' is to have 200 this time, and 250 next time, and so on. But you end up doing stuff like showing QPR v Wolves on a Thursday night in December and a lot of it is absolute rubbish. Better off showing 78 carefully picked games than playing a tonneage game. When even viewers like Simmo and me are getting bored of it you've got a big problem for yourself because we really will watch any old sht.

I also think they chase ratings too much. I actually like the international break when the Sky Football League games are from League One and Two. Their Championship coverage just too often seems to be an excuse to show Leeds/Newcastle/Villa/Sheff Wed/Sunderland all playing each other because they get the biggest audiences.

This is particularly acute with cup draws. Man Utd have had every FA Cup tie of theirs shown for about six years on the spin now, and it's usually them just rolling some no marks over at home, while much more attractive ties, some of them (unbelievably) not involving two Premier League teams playing each other, don't get shown.

This post has been edited by an administrator
How Much Football do you watch on 15:13 - Oct 6 with 3637 viewspaulparker

How Much Football do you watch on 14:56 - Oct 6 by Mick_S

I Don't have BT , I think about getting it because I wanted to get back into Serie A but then I thought I don't watch SKY , MOTD or even the goals round up on channel 5 anymore so what's the point
like you I get excited and optimistic when we are on the box I would get tons of beers in , wear my lucky pants play warm up music etc (im sad, what can I say) but even that's died I think when we had Arry and since has killed it for me although last Friday was a cracking game
the World cups I lost interest in when it was in SA and I dipped in and out of the last one
there was a time I wouldn't miss an England game and would plan it weeks in advance to watch it in the pub but now Im hard pressed to tell you when we are next playing
same as the FA cup final the only game I can remember watching was Liverpool vs west ham over 10 years ago
your also right about the greed I think that's killed it for a lot of old school fans a bit like these endless shows like the debate and Goals on Sunday etc its endless waffle now

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

How Much Football do you watch on 15:14 - Oct 6 with 3635 viewskensalriser

I'm more of a QPR supporter than a football fan. If I'm not emotionally involved it's just not that interesting.

The only exception to that since I was a kid is international tournaments but even there my enthusiasm is waning thanks to a corrupt football authority holding tournaments in countries with fúcked up regimes.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

How Much Football do you watch on 15:21 - Oct 6 with 3622 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hardly any now. Rangers and Ireland and the occasional Barca match because Messi won't be around for ever.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

How Much Football do you watch on 15:23 - Oct 6 with 3617 viewsMick_S

Thanks for the pants update mate.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

How Much Football do you watch on 15:30 - Oct 6 with 3601 viewspaulparker

How Much Football do you watch on 15:23 - Oct 6 by Mick_S

Thanks for the pants update mate.

they got thrown out a while back , but for good luck I would wear these polka dot boxers they had more holes than a swiss cheese , it was the year we won the championship and stayed up in 2012 , I would wear them , my QPR 1982 retro shirt and I would blast the great escape over the speakers before the game
it did the trick we beat spurs, Chelsea, Swansea and I wore them for that game against Man City ,
Mrs P had enough of them and threw them on a carousel at the Airport when we were in Zante that year , I didn't have the nerve to get them back so I watched them go round and round whilst everyone was pointing and laughing at my poor excuse for underwear
me and QPR haven't been the same since

How Much Football do you watch on 15:43 - Oct 6 with 3573 viewsLongsufferingR

How Much Football do you watch on 15:30 - Oct 6 by paulparker

they got thrown out a while back , but for good luck I would wear these polka dot boxers they had more holes than a swiss cheese , it was the year we won the championship and stayed up in 2012 , I would wear them , my QPR 1982 retro shirt and I would blast the great escape over the speakers before the game
it did the trick we beat spurs, Chelsea, Swansea and I wore them for that game against Man City ,
Mrs P had enough of them and threw them on a carousel at the Airport when we were in Zante that year , I didn't have the nerve to get them back so I watched them go round and round whilst everyone was pointing and laughing at my poor excuse for underwear
me and QPR haven't been the same since

That last paragraph provides the perfect metaphor for the last few years of the club we love.
How Much Football do you watch on 16:21 - Oct 6 with 3519 viewsjohncharles

Big day today. The Dunhill is on here at Carnoustie. Having a quick pint on my way home from the off licence. I'll lòok in at the golf as I pass then it's Georgia v Wales and then the Rol game.
But that's about it. Football on TV is brain dead. Premiership? I'd rather go down the road and watch Arbroath or Forfar.

Strong and stable my arse.

How Much Football do you watch on 16:31 - Oct 6 with 3504 viewssmegma

I watch MOTD and The Championship on TV. But I prefer watching live football at any level. Tomorrow will be an Essex Senior League game in Walthamstow. I'm no gambler but I'll swear it will be better than the crap I saw last night at Wembley.
How Much Football do you watch on 16:33 - Oct 6 with 3501 viewsSnipper

How Much Football do you watch on 16:21 - Oct 6 by johncharles

Big day today. The Dunhill is on here at Carnoustie. Having a quick pint on my way home from the off licence. I'll lòok in at the golf as I pass then it's Georgia v Wales and then the Rol game.
But that's about it. Football on TV is brain dead. Premiership? I'd rather go down the road and watch Arbroath or Forfar.

johncharles, I really enjoyed going to see Forfar play last week. As luck would have it, I've seen Arbroath play at home too. Proper football mate.

paulparker, you are 100% spot on. The Premiership bores the shité out of me. Watching England also bores me rigid.

Last night I watched the Scotland v Slovakia game. It was great entertainment.
How Much Football do you watch on 17:06 - Oct 6 with 3438 viewsrobith

Barely any.

Go to QPR. Watch ROI games if they're important. Will watch England in major tournaments (losing to Iceland just after the Brexit vote gave me a tremendous sense of catharsis). Go to occasional non league games with my mate who supports the mighty Gresley FC.

Otherwise I CGAF
How Much Football do you watch on 17:11 - Oct 6 with 3425 viewstraininvain

How Much Football do you watch on 15:21 - Oct 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Hardly any now. Rangers and Ireland and the occasional Barca match because Messi won't be around for ever.

Agree re Messi, Brian. Was a bit gutted when I saw that Argentina look unlikely to qualify for the World Cup. All seems a bit pointless without the best player in the world.
How Much Football do you watch on 17:22 - Oct 6 with 3409 viewsPunteR

Pretty much same as most on this thread.. hardly any these days, apart from QPR.
After having Sky Sports MOTD seemed a bit rubbish. Ive now got rid of Sky so dont really get to see games.
At the moment i dont feel like i'm missing much either.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

How Much Football do you watch on 18:31 - Oct 6 with 3368 viewsPinnerPaul

Live - Only QPR home games and the matches I officiate on (obviously!)

MOTD highlights and offy highglights of our games and that's about it.

Will occasionally watch Championship H/ls on 5 but not very often.

Mrs PP was away recently and I watched ITV's CL and EL highlights - was not impressed by quality, especially of defending, I have to say.

Will watch some live games at WC and Euros, but not every day by any means.
How Much Football do you watch on 18:33 - Oct 6 with 3360 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Fvcking hell i'm turning into paulparker!

Exactly the same. If it wasn't for my ST I doubt i'd watch a stitch of football from one month to the other.
How Much Football do you watch on 19:55 - Oct 6 with 3318 viewsBoston

Nothing. Even at Loftus Rd my eyes are usually rolled back nto my head.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 20:27]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

How Much Football do you watch on 20:44 - Oct 6 with 3282 viewscolinallcars

Surprised to see that so many hardly watch. Me too. I hate MOTD and not interested in internationals. Won't have Sky in the house eother. That just leaves the Rangers and even with our lads I still miss half a dozen games a season partly due to bloody Sky moving KO days and times.
How Much Football do you watch on 21:14 - Oct 6 with 3255 viewsBoston

'ere McCarfee...are the Irish fans singing "you're just Romania in disguise", to Moldova?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

How Much Football do you watch on 21:24 - Oct 6 with 3247 viewsenfieldargh

I record Motd but often delete without viewing unless theres been some extraordinary games/goals

Love Championship and goalrush and hate the fact that sky try to ruin it with their goals express earlier in the evening.

Loved Bundesliga highlights but thats not on any longer so watch highlights on you tube and Bund 2 also

If I had sky sports I would watch the unfashionable games from lower leagues

I detest and despise Man Utd so wont watch anything with them in(I did watch the Bayern Final tho)

In the old days I would watch everything, especially Michael Wale on BBC London sport when usually it was easier for them to send a camera round the corner to LR than anywhere else

Used to love Saint & Greavsie but cant stand any preview football anymore.

I will always watch England and I always regret it

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

How Much Football do you watch on 00:09 - Oct 7 with 3179 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Very little these days. Because of Sky.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

How Much Football do you watch on 04:42 - Oct 7 with 3127 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Everything has a life cycle, and I’m definitely coming to the end of mine with football.

As Superstan said above, age and disillusionment are factors as is your life path which creates different interests etc. Our TV package out here has footy from all over the world, but I never watch it. Not interested! Haven’t really watched international footy this century, not arsed about the Champions League and I didn’t watch the Prem even when we were in it!

To be honest, living back in the UK for a few years; 2013-14 and then 2016, I only got a ST to catch up with mates for a beer. But we’ve all grown, moved on, new responsibilities and slowly, we’re all going less. This is what QPR has really meant for me: friends, happy laughs, the football has often been incidental.

It does sadden me though! I wrote about how growing up, football was so important to me. I’m an amputee but played a lot and football, it was my way of not just being one of the lads, but it allowed me to feel included. It wasn’t until many years later, that I realised just how much football did to empower me.

However, the money, snake oil salesmen who run the game, FIFA etc. have ruined it! But what really f.....g annoys me, and what makes me avoid watching; is the diving, the feigning of injury and behaviour of these oafs payed huge sums to make a mockery of the game!

And there is a special place reserved in hell for any tosser who seeks to defend these characters, by arguing:its part of the modern game!!

I didn’t get the QPR online TV package (would struggle to operate it) and there’s a reasonably fair chance that for the first time since the 70s, I might go a whole season not seeing QPR in the flesh. It’s ok, life is again moving in different directions.

I once referred to Loftus Road on the original dot org site as HQ and it stuck. It stuck because it was and is a HQ of sorts, especially for far flung Rfosi when we return to London. If/when we do leave HQ, I will return to say farewell to a home-from-home, a theatre of many happy memories with good friends and family, but after that?

Well I’ll still keep an eye out for results, maybe go to an odd game, but I feel it could be it for me.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024