Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. 05:07 - May 17 with 2129 viewssmegma

One of only 11 men to have won the World Cup wearing an England first team shirt. When you're only the 12th news item on the BBC Football site, you know the world of sport knows sweet FA. 1966 was a defining year for Ray as he won the FA Cup with Everton before returning to Wembley on 30th July 1966 for the ultimate prize. When the England team today are lauded for reaching the quarter finals of any tournament it seems weird we don't cherish those 11 players more. When we haven't won a knock out game in the WC for 12 years you wonder why do we bother ???

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 06:11 - May 17 with 2094 viewsMedwayR

I was saying to a mate last night how appalling the lack of coverage has been. Surely with the WC squad announcement you have the perfect platform to pay tribute to a WC winner.

Poll: Who’s better?

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 06:36 - May 17 with 2073 viewssmegma

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 06:11 - May 17 by MedwayR

I was saying to a mate last night how appalling the lack of coverage has been. Surely with the WC squad announcement you have the perfect platform to pay tribute to a WC winner.

No, Messi making some child cry takes up more space on the BBC. And he's never won a World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-africa-44146991/messi-leaves-sa-fan-in-tears
[Post edited 17 May 2018 6:38]
Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 07:48 - May 17 with 1996 viewsbosh67

RIP to a low key hero.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 08:00 - May 17 with 1982 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Was thinking the same last night re lack of coverage.

RIP. Genuine legend.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 08:05 - May 17 with 1972 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/16/ray-wilson-obituary

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 08:18 - May 17 with 1953 viewsLythamR

Sad news
The lack of coverage is disappointing, he was an unsung here, if you ask the man in the street to name the 66 team he is one of the names most likely to be missing. I guess thats life but its ashame

Perhaps there will be a minutes silence at this royal wedding thing!
Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 08:44 - May 17 with 1926 viewsMrSheen

It made me smile that plain Yorkshire Ray the undertaker was christened Ramon, after an actor his mother liked. Fancy footballers’ names have a longer and more distinguished history than I thought.
Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 08:50 - May 17 with 1913 viewsisawqpratwcity

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 08:05 - May 17 by BrianMcCarthy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/16/ray-wilson-obituary

"...but then left football altogether to set up an undertaking business in Huddersfield with his father-in-law.
He ran the firm until retirement in 1997 and, perhaps because of his many years in the profession, was noted for his gallows humour. When his old England colleague [Geoff] Cohen was struggling through a bout of cancer in later life, Wilson phoned him to ask how he was getting on. Cohen replied that he was doing just fine, but, detecting a slight air of disappointment in his friend’s voice, asked what the matter was. “Well, I was ringing to offer you a deal,” he replied."

Never in the field of English sporting history was so much owed by so many to so few.

RIP to one of the Few
[Post edited 17 May 2018 8:51]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 10:04 - May 17 with 1840 viewsCamberleyR

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 08:18 - May 17 by LythamR

Sad news
The lack of coverage is disappointing, he was an unsung here, if you ask the man in the street to name the 66 team he is one of the names most likely to be missing. I guess thats life but its ashame

Perhaps there will be a minutes silence at this royal wedding thing!

"if you ask the man in the street to name the 66 team he is one of the names most likely to be missing"

Ironic in that he was probably one of the genuinely world class players in that team as well (alongside Banks, Moore and Charlton). Held the record for years of most England caps for an outfield player without scoring too (since broken by Neville G and Cole).
RIP

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 10:29 - May 17 with 1815 viewsderbyhoop

When you see the current England squad and compare it to 1966, where are the current world class players?
In 1966 we had Banks, Wilson and Charlton, who would all have walked into any World XI.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Four down.........RIP Ray Wilson. on 14:12 - May 17 with 1705 viewsElHoop

RIP Ray Wilson. I was too young to judge his abilities but my dad has always said that he was a world class player. It's a shame that his passing hasn't been mentioned more, I agree.

I've always thought that we've produced more world class left backs than right backs. Wilson, Cooper, Sansom, Pearce, Cole - they were all pretty good. Not sure that the list of great right backs would be quite so long, certainly in my lifetime. Given that there are more right footed players than lefties, it's a strange stat.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024