Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) 22:58 - Jul 1 with 2195 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 23:00]
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 23:03 - Jul 1 with 2172 views2Thomas2Bowles

78, scots making fools of themselves
The Final was brill

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 23:14 - Jul 1 with 2141 viewsCiderwithRsie

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 23:03 - Jul 1 by 2Thomas2Bowles

78, scots making fools of themselves
The Final was brill

I've hated Argentina ever since, I fell in love with that Dutch team and as a teenage kid I thought Argentina cheated. The one that sickened me most was a blatant handball near the end to cut out a Dutch attack and waste time, I wanted the bloke strung up never mind sent off.
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 23:34 - Jul 1 with 2111 views2Thomas2Bowles

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 23:14 - Jul 1 by CiderwithRsie

I've hated Argentina ever since, I fell in love with that Dutch team and as a teenage kid I thought Argentina cheated. The one that sickened me most was a blatant handball near the end to cut out a Dutch attack and waste time, I wanted the bloke strung up never mind sent off.

Some great players and goals

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 04:47 - Jul 2 with 2044 viewsSydneyRs

Same. Didn't the Dutch hit the post near the end of normal time when a goal would have won it?
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 09:13 - Jul 2 with 1974 viewsstevec

Bazza, this is not a proper poll until you put Mexico 1970 on it.

Jairzinho, Pele, Carlos Alberto... GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Wonderful, wonderful World Cup
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 07:48 - Jul 3 with 1858 viewsCamberleyR

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 09:13 - Jul 2 by stevec

Bazza, this is not a proper poll until you put Mexico 1970 on it.

Jairzinho, Pele, Carlos Alberto... GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Wonderful, wonderful World Cup

Or 1974 and the magnificent Dutch total football.

Suurbier
Haan
Rijsbergen
Krol
Neeskens
Jansen
van Hanegem
Rensenbrink
Cruyff
Rep

Perfection

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 08:15 - Jul 3 with 1840 viewsToast_R

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 23:34 - Jul 1 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Some great players and goals

Certainly not one for the goalkeepers was it? Some right howlers in there.
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 08:17 - Jul 3 with 1840 viewshubble

...what about 66? I can just about remember that! We had a couple of German student lodgers so we went next door to watch the final with our French neighbour. When we came back the German students stormed out and one of them shoulder barged me as he went past because I shouted 'yeah we won!' or something. I was 5.

Out of that list Italia 90 pips it because it feels so iconic - BBC's Nessun Dorma theme, Platt's goal, Gazza's tears and all that. I think I watched every single game (on the telly) that year. I guess 86 would be my second choice, another iconic World Cup.
Login to get fewer ads

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 08:58 - Jul 3 with 1804 viewsCamberleyR

I think our memories of 1990 are clouded slightly by getting to the semis and so close to winning it. Quite a few of the matches in it were terrible and I'm pretty sure it still holds the record for the lowest goals per game ratio of any World Cup. It was primarily because of that WC that the backpass law was brought in.

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 09:05 - Jul 3 with 1791 viewsMonahoop

And what about Mexico 1970? Always to be ingrained on young Monahoops memory. Fuzzy live coverage on TV. The Brazilians at their very best, never to be bettered. England's tired '66 squad floundering in the Mexican heat to the West Germans. Nothing changes there. The Italians fouling their way to the final in style as only Italians can. Good commentary, no boring, opinionated punditry or co -commentary as has contaminated todays TV and radio football.

Out of the last 10 though. Italy 1990. Ireland made it theirs for a while, under Jack. At the time it was fun. But they unfortunately have not stopped harping on about it ever since. Every World cup since, the nation endures re runs of that competition and again and again Bonners penalty save against Romania. Almost as tedious if not more so than re runs and reminders of England's World Cup win in 1966. 1990 was good while it lasted, but now? zzzzzzzzzzzzz!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 09:14 - Jul 3 with 1781 viewsstowmarketrange

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 08:17 - Jul 3 by hubble

...what about 66? I can just about remember that! We had a couple of German student lodgers so we went next door to watch the final with our French neighbour. When we came back the German students stormed out and one of them shoulder barged me as he went past because I shouted 'yeah we won!' or something. I was 5.

Out of that list Italia 90 pips it because it feels so iconic - BBC's Nessun Dorma theme, Platt's goal, Gazza's tears and all that. I think I watched every single game (on the telly) that year. I guess 86 would be my second choice, another iconic World Cup.

That was a great World Cup, but that was when football changed in this country.It became too popular due to the success of the England team and Gazza’s antics.
In the 5 years before we’d had Heysel,Hillsborough and hooliganism turning football into something akin to war zones every weekend.Thatcher wanted Id cards for every fan,and the game seemed to be dying a slow death.Crowds were falling and grounds were falling apart.

Within 2 years we had the premier league take the game away from the average fans more and more.It was supposed to improve the England team,but we never made it past the quarter finals of any tournament except the one held in England in 96.
Now we have a chance to go as far as we’ve done since 1966,thanks to other teams failures.
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 09:30 - Jul 3 with 1770 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 08:17 - Jul 3 by hubble

Yes Italy for me too because of the amazing stadiums. Very iconic as you said. You know exactly where you're looking at. This world cup in Russia they could be playing on the moon for all I know. Or Qatar..

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 09:49 - Jul 3 with 1757 viewsLunarJetman

How can you put Russia 2018 when it's not over yet? Either have it as previous World Cups only or wait two weeks. :)
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 10:02 - Jul 3 with 1752 viewsterryb

From memory, the football at Italia '90 was mainly very poor, and a dreadful Argentina side reached the final!

We were even grateful for a Klinsmann "inspired" penalty to beat them in the final.

The group matches for the "group of death" were tedious, although England did play fairly well against Holland. Belgium then outplayed us for 119 minutes!

This competition is really remembered fondly for the Platt goal, Lineker penalties, Gazza & Pearce/Waddock.

Plus, of course, Roger Milla & his Cameroon team!
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 10:18 - Jul 3 with 1742 viewsLblock

Said it before and will no doubt say it again but, “1990 was Gods gift of a year”

It wasn’t the most stunning tournament but it built and had everything bar England rightfully winning it.
The backdrop was a long hit summer, house and rave, casual fashion and being young.

Talking of past Copas....and tonight’s opponents. Who remembers the bird man who used to be in the crowd supporting, I think, Columbia? Pretty sure he was there in Mexico 86 and maybe Italia 90 as well??? Used to make me laugh how they held him over the edge of the stands!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 10:27 - Jul 3 with 1734 viewsstevec

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 07:48 - Jul 3 by CamberleyR

Or 1974 and the magnificent Dutch total football.

Suurbier
Haan
Rijsbergen
Krol
Neeskens
Jansen
van Hanegem
Rensenbrink
Cruyff
Rep

Perfection

Yeah, you're right. Like watching QPR in orange shirts. The only thing that spoilt it was the bloody Germans beating them in the final.

Great Dutch side, think it all led off that rarely mentioned Ajax side of the early 70's who were fantastic to watch, think they won 3 European Cups at the time, though my memory a bit foggy.

For me, the inspiration behind Jago's side.
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 11:41 - Jul 3 with 1694 viewsCamberleyR

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 10:27 - Jul 3 by stevec

Yeah, you're right. Like watching QPR in orange shirts. The only thing that spoilt it was the bloody Germans beating them in the final.

Great Dutch side, think it all led off that rarely mentioned Ajax side of the early 70's who were fantastic to watch, think they won 3 European Cups at the time, though my memory a bit foggy.

For me, the inspiration behind Jago's side.

Yep, pretty much a mainly Ajax team who as you say won three consecutive European cups from 71-73; Suurbier, Krol, Haan, Neeskens , Rep, Cruyff (although he had moved to Barcelona by then) supplemented by Rijsbergen, Jansen and van Hanegem of Feyenoord (European champions in 1970) and the odd one out Robbie Rensenbrink who had played nearly all his club football in Belgium for Bruges and Anderlecht.

My second favourite team ever after the 75/76ers.

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 12:14 - Jul 3 with 1669 viewsericgen34

1998 was the best ever obviously :-)
2006 not bad too, until Viera's injury in the final which cost us the game I think
Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 12:38 - Jul 3 with 1631 viewsloftboy

My dad was at Wembley in 1972 (I think) when Ajax beat Panathanaikos

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best World Cup (Last Ten Anyway) on 14:10 - Jul 3 with 1577 viewsCamberleyR

There was no doubt that the Argentinians were going to win that World Cup no matter what. We all know about the bent second round game vs Peru where they knew what they had to do and win by four clear goals after Brazil had played.

At that time Argentina had only once beaten Peru by more than two clear goals in over forty years. Even today it seems amazing to think that FIFA thought that no team could get an advantage by knowing exactly what they had to do after everyone else had played. Even more amazing that they didn't change it until 1986 after the West Germany/Austria travesty in 1982.

Then once they had made it to the final they successfully objected to the referee chosen to officiate the game, Abraham Klein of Israel (who had reffed the 1970 England/Brazil game). Klein had refereed their first round group match against Italy which they lost 1-0 and he'd denied them a penalty. They tried to claim some flimsy political links between Israel and Netherlands and scandalously FIFA bowed to their demands.

The day of the final itself the Dutch team bus was driven the long way round to the stadium through hostile crowds. The Dutch team took to the field alone and it was at least five minutes before Argentina made an entrance in another attempt to unnerve the Dutch. Again, unthinkable today.

Once both teams were on the field they then raised an objection to Rene van der Kerkhof's plaster cast on his wrist which had been perfectly acceptable the previous five games (he'd injured it in the first match). During the game itself the Italian ref brought new meaning to the term 'homer'. Fortune as well as the ref was on their side as well that day. Kempes' second goal in extra time is one of the luckiest and scruffiest I have seen in my lifetime especially in a big game. Bertoni then blatantly handballs before scoring the third five minutes from time.

If only Rensenbrink's 90th minute shot had been a couple of inches the other side of the post....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024