Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' 01:37 - Sep 12 with 3878 viewstimcocking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06ktz28

Man, what a farce. The less touches a player takes, unless it's Messi, the better the player.

Good news, we'll take him gladly.
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 02:39 - Sep 12 with 3824 viewsPlanetHonneywood

My first thought: this is an equal and opposite reaction to the FA’s former thinking!

I can’t remember the blokes name - but I think it was Charlie something - who pushed the ideology that as a significant number of goals came from four or less touches, we should hoof it forward asap.

Only thing is; we often couldn’t get the ball off the oppo who kept it better than we could and, we then had to select Forrest Gumps to run all day to get the ball a.k.a Carlton Palmer! A man so bang average, that when Nobby Stiles was asked what he thought Sir Alf would make of Palmer playing for England he replied, ‘Sir Alf wouldn’t let him in the stadium to watch us much less play!’

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 07:03 - Sep 12 with 3763 viewsDannyPaddox

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 02:39 - Sep 12 by PlanetHonneywood

My first thought: this is an equal and opposite reaction to the FA’s former thinking!

I can’t remember the blokes name - but I think it was Charlie something - who pushed the ideology that as a significant number of goals came from four or less touches, we should hoof it forward asap.

Only thing is; we often couldn’t get the ball off the oppo who kept it better than we could and, we then had to select Forrest Gumps to run all day to get the ball a.k.a Carlton Palmer! A man so bang average, that when Nobby Stiles was asked what he thought Sir Alf would make of Palmer playing for England he replied, ‘Sir Alf wouldn’t let him in the stadium to watch us much less play!’

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 07:50 - Sep 12 with 3702 viewsNorthernr

The real tragedy of this is it's another outstanding teenager who's walked away from first team football to hang around in Chelsea's academy and on perpetual loan deals for what should be the best years of his career.
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 07:59 - Sep 12 with 3686 viewsDannyPaddox

In an inverse way couldn't help thinking of this. Ampadeus.

[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 8:10]
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 08:34 - Sep 12 with 3616 viewsaston_hoop

Looks very good, he will be a key player for Vitesse Arnhem in the next couple of years, of that I have no doubt.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 08:59 - Sep 12 with 3571 viewsGroveR

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 07:50 - Sep 12 by Northernr

The real tragedy of this is it's another outstanding teenager who's walked away from first team football to hang around in Chelsea's academy and on perpetual loan deals for what should be the best years of his career.

Is he moving under the EPPP rules?*

* Do Exeter get £3.42 compensation and bummed viciously in the gob?
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 09:00 - Sep 12 with 3569 viewsmakaveli1882

The record is for 2017

Four age groups across five tournaments - 34 games played with an 88.2% win percentage and their only defeats on penalties. And a goal difference of +62.

No other nation has won three major youth tournaments in the same calendar year.
Brazil are the only other side to have been under-20 and under-17 world champions in the same year - in 2003.

World Cup semi final for the National Team.

Must be doing something right?
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 10:04 - Sep 12 with 3495 viewsdaveB

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 09:00 - Sep 12 by makaveli1882

The record is for 2017

Four age groups across five tournaments - 34 games played with an 88.2% win percentage and their only defeats on penalties. And a goal difference of +62.

No other nation has won three major youth tournaments in the same calendar year.
Brazil are the only other side to have been under-20 and under-17 world champions in the same year - in 2003.

World Cup semi final for the National Team.

Must be doing something right?

Players are always going to slip through but overall the FA doing very well with youth development. Changes made at young level with small sided games and emphasis on players touching the ball more and looking to pass will benefit us in years to come.
Login to get fewer ads

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 10:19 - Sep 12 with 3474 viewstoboboly

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 07:50 - Sep 12 by Northernr

The real tragedy is his hair.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 12:09 - Sep 12 with 3331 viewsrobith

All sport is littered with scouts who got stuff wrong, it's an opinion game innit. Bet the rugby coaches who told Neil Back and Shane Williams they were too small feel pretty sheepish most days.

Seems to have been a massive over reaction though to a good showing against one of the worst Ireland teams (playing and coaching wise) in history
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 22:24 - Sep 12 with 3015 viewsrsonist

Not so sure about this. He's probably the one young player there maybe since Terry that's had anything close to what we would think of as a conventional progression (in fact it's a fast-tracking by nearly every EPL side's standards these days). And playing regularly in League Two versus training daily with internationals and Sarri is where the first team football argument becomes blurry I would say.

This story is clickbait controversy fluff really - depressing but predictable to see the BBC sink further into the mire. It's no surprise the smaller home nations will occasionally outmanoeuvre England if they're prepared to offer teenagers first team competitive caps when they're still in a formative stage of development. Furthermore it seems as though people are moaning and groaning like they'd had said he took too many touches not too few... personally I daresay the current England midfield could do with taking a few more touches too - it's the glaring issue at the moment. We're in a holding pattern until Cook, Foden, Maddison, Mount etc are ready.
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 22:28 - Sep 12 with 3007 viewsCiderwithRsie

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 07:59 - Sep 12 by DannyPaddox

In an inverse way couldn't help thinking of this. Ampadeus.

[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 8:10]

Mind you, I remember discussing that film when it first came out with a classical musician who said "you know what? there are too many bloody notes in Mozart"
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 01:02 - Sep 13 with 2937 viewstimcocking

Indeed.
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 01:18 - Sep 13 with 2934 viewstimcocking

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 10:04 - Sep 12 by daveB

Players are always going to slip through but overall the FA doing very well with youth development. Changes made at young level with small sided games and emphasis on players touching the ball more and looking to pass will benefit us in years to come.

Hmmm, well touching the ball at the right time, yes. Being comfortable on the ball and able to retain possession, yes of course. But one-touch passing equals quality player. Paul Scholes springs to mind.

Just in case there is any confusion, i'm assuming we all realise one touch passing is short passing? It's not referring to a long ball. It's moving the ball fast so the opposition defence can't keep up. First-time passes are the way to go almost every time, when/if you can manage it. It's the only way you can get past a defender unless you're world class or much faster than them. Nobody ever got past me in my entire life i shouldn't think just by dribbling. People don't usually have the skill and confidence to play much one-touch because it's too hard. It suggests to me this guy is of a superior level, and the scout probably hadn't played enough football himself to understand that.

But, yeah, credit where it's due, our youth sides are doing remarkably well.
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 10:33 - Sep 13 with 2826 viewsAntti_Heinola

Read somewhere that the 'too few touches' thing happened when he was about 14. He was then capped by England at U15 level and U16, then Wales called him up to their main squad. So Eng;and didn't really 'reject' him at all.

Bare bones.

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 10:48 - Sep 13 with 2814 viewssimmo

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 10:33 - Sep 13 by Antti_Heinola

Read somewhere that the 'too few touches' thing happened when he was about 14. He was then capped by England at U15 level and U16, then Wales called him up to their main squad. So Eng;and didn't really 'reject' him at all.

Exactly, it's bollocks. The fact is if he had stayed at Exeter or gone to a better club he could have 50 odd pro appearances by now. He's obviously a great talent so still doing well, but he should be playing.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 13:06 - Sep 13 with 2748 viewsTGRRRSSS

If your a young Pro footballer I think the way to look at Chelsea is as a University education type scenario.

The thing is most people don't get employed by their Uni, they move on, and that's what most youngsters there need to accept, and focus on improving so far then moving when the chance happens, looking at Lukaku, De Bryne and Salah for example as what can happen if your prepared to move on.

IN terms of actually bringing players through Chelsea are a failure.

The issue is I guess the wages they are given so early to ultimately sacrifice their career.
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 16:25 - Sep 13 with 2661 viewsqprxtc

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 02:39 - Sep 12 by PlanetHonneywood

Is that the Carlton Palmer that scored a hat trick against us? I guess Sir Alf wasn't around to stop him getting in the stadium that day.
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 01:12 - Sep 14 with 2513 viewstimcocking

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 10:33 - Sep 13 by Antti_Heinola

Really? Oh, that makes the original article a bit bloody pointless if they didn't pass him up. Is it too late to move it to the sh!t journalism thread instead then?

As others have said, what a shame he left men's football to join the unambitious lazy fcuks who'll never play for Chelsea. I'm certain Exeter will have received fair compensation, ha.
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 07:11 - Sep 14 with 2478 viewsDannyPaddox

'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 22:28 - Sep 12 by CiderwithRsie

Mind you, I remember discussing that film when it first came out with a classical musician who said "you know what? there are too many bloody notes in Mozart"

Pete Townshend said something similar about Paul Weller back in the late 70s/ early 80s. Around the time of Setting Sons/ Sound Affects, Townshend was asked his opinion on Weller especially as the latter was unashamedly influenced by the former. PT replied something along the lines of: ' He's an interesting songwriter but he needs to cut down on the words. He tries to put too many words in his songs' I was (and still am) a huge Who/ Townshend fan but the 14 year old me thought: "Oh fcuk off and write another rock opera grandad!"
'England rejected Ampadu because he took too few touches' on 11:10 - Sep 14 with 2388 viewsTacticalR

Alan: How many words did you have to say as King Lear at the Aldwych in '52?

Sir Edwin: Ah, well, I don't want you to get the impression it's just a question of the number of words...um...I mean, getting them in the right order is just as important. Old Peter Hall used to say to me, 'They're all there Eddie, now we've got to get them in the right order.'

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024