Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading being linked to dementia 15:34 - Oct 21 with 1237 viewstimcocking

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/21/footballers-five-times-likely-su

Not good news
Heading being linked to dementia on 16:00 - Oct 21 with 1216 viewsEsox_Lucius

A very chastening read indeed. Might be just as well that Eze doesn't use his head, literally, very much.

The grass is always greener.

Heading being linked to dementia on 16:14 - Oct 21 with 1194 viewsdaveB

That Documentary that Shearer did on this was fascinating, very little has been done about it since
Heading being linked to dementia on 16:21 - Oct 21 with 1184 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Heading being linked to dementia on 16:14 - Oct 21 by daveB

That Documentary that Shearer did on this was fascinating, very little has been done about it since

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3322364/
Heading being linked to dementia on 16:24 - Oct 21 with 1180 viewshantssi

My dad and 2 of his best friends from school died of it over the last 10 years, all came down with it in their late 60’s, all played with the old heavy leather balls in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s.
Another died earlier this year again with dementia but he was nearly 90.
There must be some sort of link it can’t be a coincidence.
Heading being linked to dementia on 17:04 - Oct 21 with 1139 viewsloftboy

It’s what Jeff Astle died from, his widow is convinced it’s from heading. As quoted in the linked article, should have read it before posting, apologies.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 17:06]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Heading being linked to dementia on 17:19 - Oct 21 with 1120 viewsstevec

Heading being linked to dementia on 16:24 - Oct 21 by hantssi

My dad and 2 of his best friends from school died of it over the last 10 years, all came down with it in their late 60’s, all played with the old heavy leather balls in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s.
Another died earlier this year again with dementia but he was nearly 90.
There must be some sort of link it can’t be a coincidence.

You'd certainly think so, especially as they've done like for like trials. I imagine any type of head trauma, from football or otherwise, would increase the chances of getting a brain injury and would therefore more likely affect men from all backgrounds.

That said, my mother has dementia and in her Care Home and the various hospital wards she's been admitted over the last four years you can't help noticing that women usually outnumber men with the illness.

Something that has begun to puzzle me is how often dementia has become the 'go to' diagnosis in recent years. My inkling is footballers are more likely to be suffering from brain damage, which would be covered by the NHS, whereas a dementia diagnosis means they are not and would have to self fund. Convenient eh?

I sense there's a push by Government via the NHS to 'privatise' illness wherever possible. Be careful out there.
Heading being linked to dementia on 17:34 - Oct 21 with 1096 viewsVancouverHoop

Heading being linked to dementia on 17:19 - Oct 21 by stevec

You'd certainly think so, especially as they've done like for like trials. I imagine any type of head trauma, from football or otherwise, would increase the chances of getting a brain injury and would therefore more likely affect men from all backgrounds.

That said, my mother has dementia and in her Care Home and the various hospital wards she's been admitted over the last four years you can't help noticing that women usually outnumber men with the illness.

Something that has begun to puzzle me is how often dementia has become the 'go to' diagnosis in recent years. My inkling is footballers are more likely to be suffering from brain damage, which would be covered by the NHS, whereas a dementia diagnosis means they are not and would have to self fund. Convenient eh?

I sense there's a push by Government via the NHS to 'privatise' illness wherever possible. Be careful out there.

For the most part it's because it's a disease of the elderly, we're living much longer than we used to. Alzheimer's syndrome was identified in the first decade of the last century, but it didn't begin to be widely studied until its last decade. Simply because most people died before the symptoms showed.

Sports related dementia is different though. Repeated blows to head causing concussion will eventually cause permanent damage. We used to talk about "punch-drunk" boxers – they actually had dementia. Now we're seeing it in other sports. Football as noted, there have also been several dementia related suicides in ice hockey, and if the NFL tracked such things (they don't) it's certain they're be a significant number of victims.
Heading being linked to dementia on 21:34 - Oct 21 with 1012 viewsSharpy36

My 80 year old mother has dual Dementia, never headed a ball in her life.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Login to get fewer ads

Heading being linked to dementia on 22:03 - Oct 21 with 987 viewsstowmarketrange

Another reason to be glad I was a goalkeeper.Sod that running around and heading footballs.
Heading being linked to dementia on 23:56 - Oct 21 with 923 viewssmegma

Heading being linked to dementia on 21:34 - Oct 21 by Sharpy36

My 80 year old mother has dual Dementia, never headed a ball in her life.

Neither has my 86 year old dad.
Heading being linked to dementia on 00:08 - Oct 22 with 909 viewstimcocking

This is probably going to have an impact sooner rather than later. Hard to see them wanting school children heading footballs. And centre backs, won't they be out there doing heading drills every day? Wouldn't fancy doing doing 50 every morning after reading that. Not at all surprising really, the impact is not insignificant when you head a ball.

Perhaps it helps explain Toni Leistner's choice of boots? (apologies, no laughing matter but i couldn't resist).

Come to think of it, there's a few on here should get themselves checked out Antii
Heading being linked to dementia on 15:53 - Oct 22 with 834 viewsPinnerPaul

Having read some more articles on this - 2 points to calm everyone down

1) No actual link found between dementia and heading

2) Although footballers DO die more from that than Mr Average, they die less from every other illness.

So as the guy who headed up the research says, there is more work to be done as generally and obviously!, leading an athletic lifestyle and looking after yourself in your teens/20s leads to a longer life.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024