Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UBER * NON QPR 13:48 - Nov 25 with 8326 viewsthame_hoops

Just seen that UBER is not having its licence renewed by TFL, a real shame as i think its a great service. anyone else use it, its fantastic, or was.
UBER * NON QPR on 13:55 - Nov 25 with 4276 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Let's be honest, people only use them because they are cheap, and they are cheap because the drivers get paid fck all and work too many hours every week.

14,000 incidents of fraudulent driver registrations. TfL raised their concerns about this years ago and Uber failed to comply.

Back a properly funded, properly trained, properly regulated Black Cab service I say. I'm no fan of TfL but they got this one right.

They are also banned in Berlin and other places too.
UBER * NON QPR on 13:59 - Nov 25 with 4268 viewshopphoops

Ride sharing is the future IMO. Local transport authorities will be relying on the algorithms and data amassed by Uber etc one way or the other.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

UBER * NON QPR on 14:00 - Nov 25 with 4262 viewsdanehoop

Sort of. Except when you look at the reported fairly flagrant abuse of the driver licensing system and deployment of software specifically intended to obstruct regulator reviews. Remember previously that they only bothered making changes to their systems and procedures to report criminal acts carried out by their staff to the police until forced to by a previous ban.

Whilst they are a sometimes useful service, others will fill the void and the evidence suggests that other operators may more regulatory compliant in their business models than Uber.

Never knowingly understood

UBER * NON QPR on 14:04 - Nov 25 with 4259 viewsbaldyoldgit

UBER lose a fortune. deliberately undercutting public services and traditional taxis until their the only man left standing.
UBER * NON QPR on 14:17 - Nov 25 with 4228 viewsthame_hoops

the uninsured drivers thing was something I didn't know about, people hacking accounts is scary. seems like they just needed to get their house in order and didn't.

I love the app and the way you see the car in real time on its way, also thought security was good as you get the REG and see photo and the rating system seems good.

much cheaper that a black cab, from Marylebone to London zoo was half the cost with UBER compared to a black cab...
UBER * NON QPR on 14:20 - Nov 25 with 4210 viewsloftboy

I might have a bit more sympathy if the drivers didn’t stop on zig zag lines, red routes and just about anywhere else the Highway Code says you shouldn’t.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

UBER * NON QPR on 14:25 - Nov 25 with 4194 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The business model appears to be wipe out the opposition then raise prices in the long run. I am astonished how companies like this get rounds and rounds of funding. No way would I invest in what appears to be a big gamble.
UBER * NON QPR on 14:38 - Nov 25 with 4174 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m hearing in Trade Union circles that a Uber type app and account system will be launched for Black Cabs soon.
Login to get fewer ads

UBER * NON QPR on 14:55 - Nov 25 with 4132 viewsstevec

Unless you're on a business account I'm amazed anyone can afford to get a black cab.

They don't have Uber out my way, but we do have black cabs. From the local rail station to my house, it's less than a mile and an easy drive without traffic, cost.. £7 for a 4 min drive.

I wouldn't mind if Black cabs took you where you wanted to go but from past experience they wouldn't even take you from the Centre of London to North Kensington after midnight, either as they 'lived the other way' or 'can't get a fare back that time of night'.
UBER * NON QPR on 15:02 - Nov 25 with 4110 viewsMick_S

UBER * NON QPR on 14:55 - Nov 25 by stevec

Unless you're on a business account I'm amazed anyone can afford to get a black cab.

They don't have Uber out my way, but we do have black cabs. From the local rail station to my house, it's less than a mile and an easy drive without traffic, cost.. £7 for a 4 min drive.

I wouldn't mind if Black cabs took you where you wanted to go but from past experience they wouldn't even take you from the Centre of London to North Kensington after midnight, either as they 'lived the other way' or 'can't get a fare back that time of night'.

We got caught in heavy rain in Westminster a while back and eventually managed to get a black cab to Bayswater - £22.00. Later that night, we got an UBER back to Hillingdon - £20.00. My house to Heathrow is over £20.00 in a black cab - 3.5 miles away.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

UBER * NON QPR on 15:07 - Nov 25 with 4084 viewsstevec

UBER * NON QPR on 14:38 - Nov 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m hearing in Trade Union circles that a Uber type app and account system will be launched for Black Cabs soon.

For the few, not the many then, eh?

See Mick's post above*
UBER * NON QPR on 15:08 - Nov 25 with 4080 views2Thomas2Bowles

Feck me I agree with Bazza.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

UBER * NON QPR on 15:23 - Nov 25 with 4041 viewsBuckR

UBER * NON QPR on 14:38 - Nov 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

How revolutionary
UBER * NON QPR on 15:29 - Nov 25 with 4020 viewsCFW

UBER * NON QPR on 13:55 - Nov 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Let's be honest, people only use them because they are cheap, and they are cheap because the drivers get paid fck all and work too many hours every week.

14,000 incidents of fraudulent driver registrations. TfL raised their concerns about this years ago and Uber failed to comply.

Back a properly funded, properly trained, properly regulated Black Cab service I say. I'm no fan of TfL but they got this one right.

They are also banned in Berlin and other places too.

Perhaps the Black Cab Taxi is another thing the Labour Government can nationalise - no cost to us as it will be paid for by taxing the top 5% earners
UBER * NON QPR on 15:42 - Nov 25 with 3992 viewsPhildo

UBER * NON QPR on 15:29 - Nov 25 by CFW

Perhaps the Black Cab Taxi is another thing the Labour Government can nationalise - no cost to us as it will be paid for by taxing the top 5% earners

In fairness black cabs do tax the top 5% of earners as no one else can afford one
UBER * NON QPR on 15:55 - Nov 25 with 3959 viewscolinallcars

I don't know, when I were a nipper only rich people took cabs. I don't see why anyone fit and healthy can't walk or get public transport. People expect everything cheap these days. Cheap clothes from the likes of Primark, unbelievably cheap goods from China etc. No wonder British companies are going broke.
UBER * NON QPR on 15:59 - Nov 25 with 3948 viewsTacticalR

If you've got 15 minutes there was a review of Uber's business model on BBC Business Daily podcast in October:

One of the interviewees is Scott Galloway, professor of marketing at NYU Stern School of Business: 'Right now the company is dramatically overvalued. We're going to see a substantial erosion in shareholder value. Not because it isn't a great company, not because it isn't a great service...at some point they are going to have to exit certain cities and raise prices which will take this from a growth story to a margin story which will substantially hit the stock. They're going to have to show profitability. What you see them doing is buying other companies, trying to find other businesses that are more profitable than the ride hailing business. So what you have is a great brand, great technology on top of a difficult business: ride hailing that is right now unprofitable because consumers have become used to getting a $15 ride for $10 and that's not sustainable.'

Bringing Uber back to Earth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csy7dv

Air hostess clique

UBER * NON QPR on 16:01 - Nov 25 with 3941 viewsNov77

tried to explain to a friend that the reason uber were cheap was because they are losing $billions, he replied 'so what'.
apparently people like him think uber are a charity set up to subsidise his ride home.

as pointed out elsewhere they are using venture capital money supplied by investors like the saudis, Goldman sachs etc to subsidise the cost of each ride, its called predatory pricing and is designed to force the competition out of business, thereby leaving them with a monopoly, and it's illegal under uk and eu law.

they also just lost a court case about unpaid vat, scandalously covered up by the 'media.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

UBER * NON QPR on 16:04 - Nov 25 with 3935 viewsrobith

Uber's model is ignoring regulation that others have to abide by, saying "it's just an app" whilst spending all their money on driverless cars because they'll never make any money (they don't anyway) if the driver is recognised as a consumer.

Given this is on safety grounds given repeated violations of the law including failing to report a sexual assault by a driver and letting that driver continue to drive, this isn't that TfL won't allow the model, but that uber are appalling at implementing it in a safe manner for the public
UBER * NON QPR on 16:08 - Nov 25 with 3921 views2Thomas2Bowles

UBER * NON QPR on 15:55 - Nov 25 by colinallcars

I don't know, when I were a nipper only rich people took cabs. I don't see why anyone fit and healthy can't walk or get public transport. People expect everything cheap these days. Cheap clothes from the likes of Primark, unbelievably cheap goods from China etc. No wonder British companies are going broke.

Is that not what a Mr. Trump says

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

UBER * NON QPR on 16:14 - Nov 25 with 3907 viewsNov77

uber aren't going anywhere by the way, they can continue operating through the appeals process.
one thing they do is buy off support of politicians and lobbyists, even managing to insist that judge Arburthnot oversaw all their recent court cases (which they won). then it was found out that her husband was working for one of Uber's biggest investors and David Cameron had given him a peerage (uber appointed the godmother of cameron's children as their head of UK communications, and her husband was the head of the tory election campaign).

If TFL had any balls they would have revoked their license, they didn't, they don't want to lose uber as it is a cash cow for them, they are still handing nearly a thousand new uber vehicle licenses every week at £300 a pop.

even if uber went, nothing would change, ALL of their drivers would swap to a different app and you'd have exactly the same problems.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

UBER * NON QPR on 16:15 - Nov 25 with 3903 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

UBER * NON QPR on 15:29 - Nov 25 by CFW

Great idea.

We’ll call it the National Pisshead Relocation Service.
UBER * NON QPR on 16:26 - Nov 25 with 3867 viewsTacticalR

UBER * NON QPR on 16:01 - Nov 25 by Nov77

tried to explain to a friend that the reason uber were cheap was because they are losing $billions, he replied 'so what'.
apparently people like him think uber are a charity set up to subsidise his ride home.

as pointed out elsewhere they are using venture capital money supplied by investors like the saudis, Goldman sachs etc to subsidise the cost of each ride, its called predatory pricing and is designed to force the competition out of business, thereby leaving them with a monopoly, and it's illegal under uk and eu law.

they also just lost a court case about unpaid vat, scandalously covered up by the 'media.

I don't think you can blame people for taking what's on offer, as most of us would rather pay less than more. Only a certain amount of people are going to wonder 'how does this actually work?'

Air hostess clique

UBER * NON QPR on 16:40 - Nov 25 with 3839 viewsCFW

UBER * NON QPR on 15:42 - Nov 25 by Phildo

In fairness black cabs do tax the top 5% of earners as no one else can afford one

I am in no way supporting the black cab driver but to become a London taxi driver you need to 'do the knowledge' which is not easy, takes approximately 2 years out of your life with no pay. You then need to purchase a new or newish black cab that will set you back between £30 and £35k or rent one which again is not cheap. You need to be registered, pay insurance and pay for the up keep of the vehicle and that is before you have taken any money. No holiday pay, no pay if off sick etc.

Why is it people want something for nothing all the time?
UBER * NON QPR on 16:42 - Nov 25 with 3832 viewsCFW

UBER * NON QPR on 16:15 - Nov 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Great idea.

We’ll call it the National Pisshead Relocation Service.

Brilliant
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024