Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tech Help - External Drives 11:30 - Aug 28 with 1425 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Here comes the latest indication of my being a bit of a Luddite.

Changed from using a Mac to a Dell. For the Mac, I had an external drive, which has two USB things into the corresponding number of ports, and everything was fine.

However, the Dell only has one port and neither of the USB things seem to connect the drive to the Dell for me to back-up.

Ohh, and from the dim distant past, I might have configured the drive for a Mac...then again, might not.

Ok, so my question(s):

1. As I won't use the cloud, do I need a new external drive for the Dell?

2. Or, is there some clever gadget/process or such like, that can make the drive work/compatible with the Dell?

3. If it all works out, is the stuff on the drive off the Mac, accessible onto the Dell.

In advance, many thanks to my fellow Rfosi for saving the Planet...

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:38 - Aug 28 with 1392 viewscolinallcars

I've got an external drive - I park my car on it.
Sorry……
Tech Help - External Drives on 11:40 - Aug 28 with 1390 viewskensalriser

When you say it won't connect, do you mean physically, or that you can connect the drive but can't access the files?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:44 - Aug 28 with 1378 viewsQPR_Hibs

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:40 - Aug 28 by kensalriser

When you say it won't connect, do you mean physically, or that you can connect the drive but can't access the files?

It sounds like a Y cable - one of the usb ports provides data and the second provides extra power which is needed for the external drive.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:49 - Aug 28 with 1355 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:40 - Aug 28 by kensalriser

The latter.

Nothing showing on the computer at all regardless of which USB I stick in the Dell. This is further evidenced following Mrs PH suggesting I try save a file and see if the drive pops up, which it does not.

Many thanks.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:51 - Aug 28 with 1344 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:38 - Aug 28 by colinallcars

I've got an external drive - I park my car on it.
Sorry……

Don't apologise at all!

At a time of 'sh1ts and giggles', you might not have got me out of the former, but you did make me do the latter. And for that, I am grateful.

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:56 - Aug 28 with 1331 viewskensalriser

The drive will be configured for a Mac, but that means you can't write to it, you should still be able to read from it. I'd buy a new external drive for the Dell and assuming you still have the Mac, transfer the files using WeTransfer.

I am no tech wiz, so others may have better solutions.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Tech Help - External Drives on 12:02 - Aug 28 with 1314 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Tech Help - External Drives on 11:56 - Aug 28 by kensalriser

The drive will be configured for a Mac, but that means you can't write to it, you should still be able to read from it. I'd buy a new external drive for the Dell and assuming you still have the Mac, transfer the files using WeTransfer.

I am no tech wiz, so others may have better solutions.

Merci Kensel.

I am of course now about to Google 'WeTransfer' ahead of the inevitable swearing session that will ensue, as I try dabbling a little deeper then I prefer if I am honest, into the world of IT stuff

Tech Help - External Drives on 13:35 - Aug 28 with 1205 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Is the Dell using Windows?

Do you plan to continue using the Mac alongside the Dell, or is the Dell a replacement?

Are there any files on the external drive that you wish to keep?
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 13:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Tech Help - External Drives on 13:56 - Aug 28 with 1164 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Tech Help - External Drives on 13:35 - Aug 28 by Benny_the_Ball

Is the Dell using Windows?

Do you plan to continue using the Mac alongside the Dell, or is the Dell a replacement?

Are there any files on the external drive that you wish to keep?
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 13:38]

Let me answer in the order you asked Benjamin.

1. Yes Windows.
2. Replacement.
3. Picture only. But its more a case of accessing them, for which the Mac can just about turn itself on to do. So I can attach to an emails, send to myself, and keep on the new drive.

Tech Help - External Drives on 14:20 - Aug 28 with 1142 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Tech Help - External Drives on 13:56 - Aug 28 by PlanetHonneywood

Let me answer in the order you asked Benjamin.

1. Yes Windows.
2. Replacement.
3. Picture only. But its more a case of accessing them, for which the Mac can just about turn itself on to do. So I can attach to an emails, send to myself, and keep on the new drive.

OK, is the external drive recognised by Windows?

To check this, connect the external drive. Click on the magnifying glass in the bottom left hand corner of your screen, type 'Device Manager' (without the quotes), and hit enter.

If it's recognised, the external hard drive will be listed under 'Disk Drives'.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 15:28]
Tech Help - External Drives on 14:36 - Aug 28 with 1118 viewsHooping_Mad

Is the external drive an SSD or Hdd?

ie: does it vibrate slightly when its connected to the Mac? Older mechanical external hard disks may require additional power to use on notebook computers.

If the drive won't power on then due to not enough USB ports on the Dell, then a powered external USB 3 hub would solve that problem.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-UH700-7-Port-Adapter-USB3-0/dp/B00P115F4E/ref=s

Then you will need to use an application like HFS Explorer (others are available) read and copy the files off of the drive.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 14:36]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Tech Help - External Drives on 15:15 - Aug 28 with 1053 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Tech Help - External Drives on 14:36 - Aug 28 by Hooping_Mad

Is the external drive an SSD or Hdd?

ie: does it vibrate slightly when its connected to the Mac? Older mechanical external hard disks may require additional power to use on notebook computers.

If the drive won't power on then due to not enough USB ports on the Dell, then a powered external USB 3 hub would solve that problem.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-UH700-7-Port-Adapter-USB3-0/dp/B00P115F4E/ref=s

Then you will need to use an application like HFS Explorer (others are available) read and copy the files off of the drive.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 14:36]

Yep, that's good shout. PH can use HFS Explorer to copy cherished files from the external drive to the Dell PC.

PH - I suspect that the reason that your external drive can't be read by the Dell PC is because it's been formatted in a filesystem that Windows doesn't recognise. MAC and Windows use different filesystems so generally speaking drives that are formatted for use on one can't be used on the other. The best analogy I can think of is switching from a diesel car to a petrol or EV. All variants provide the same functionality (i.e. transport) but use different fuels.

Try the HFS Explorer (or similar) route first. If this doesn't work then consider using a 3rd party cloud service to temporarily store your cherished files. Connect the external hard drive to your MAC computer and copy the files you want to keep to the cloud.

If you can't or don't want to use the external drive going forward, then simply log into the cloud service from your Dell PC and download the saved files from the cloud directly to your PC's internal hard drive.

If you do want to continue using the external drive with the Dell PC, you'll need to format it for use with Windows (using Windows Explorer or Disk Management).
NOTE: Formatting the external disk will delete all files on it so make sure everything you need is copied to the cloud before you proceed.

As every scenario varies, here's some general guidance from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/how-to-switch-from-
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 15:45]
Tech Help - External Drives on 15:50 - Aug 28 with 1015 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Benjamin and Hooping, I'm very grateful to you and others that have replied, but the clue to my IT abilities was in the first sentence...luddite!

So, a lot of what you say is a bit Taylor Roberts i.e. well beyond me currently.

However, to Benny's point: yes, I did manage to get the 'Device Manager' open and the external drive appears on there. Hooping, no idea if SSD, HDD or SDM, EDB or even JCS. But, I read something that says 'standard disk drive'.

I think I get the gist of what you boys are saying. But you know what, to save time and 'my' confusion, it might be easier to get another external drive for a Dell and email stuff to myself or, find a local 8 year old who'll have this all wrapped up before supper time.

Thank you both, Hibs and Kensel. However, I'm going to have drink now, and let my internal drive calm itself down....oh for the days of filing cabinets and waiting for Boots to develop your pictures eh...blimey, you guys probably don't even know that's the way we rolled back in the day!!

Tech Help - External Drives on 16:00 - Aug 28 with 1000 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Tech Help - External Drives on 15:50 - Aug 28 by PlanetHonneywood

Benjamin and Hooping, I'm very grateful to you and others that have replied, but the clue to my IT abilities was in the first sentence...luddite!

So, a lot of what you say is a bit Taylor Roberts i.e. well beyond me currently.

However, to Benny's point: yes, I did manage to get the 'Device Manager' open and the external drive appears on there. Hooping, no idea if SSD, HDD or SDM, EDB or even JCS. But, I read something that says 'standard disk drive'.

I think I get the gist of what you boys are saying. But you know what, to save time and 'my' confusion, it might be easier to get another external drive for a Dell and email stuff to myself or, find a local 8 year old who'll have this all wrapped up before supper time.

Thank you both, Hibs and Kensel. However, I'm going to have drink now, and let my internal drive calm itself down....oh for the days of filing cabinets and waiting for Boots to develop your pictures eh...blimey, you guys probably don't even know that's the way we rolled back in the day!!

No problem, if your IT knowledge is limited I would advise seeking help from IT literate family or friends as trying to explain IT on a message board is like trying to explain FFP.

Failing that, try Hooping's suggestion as that's very simple.
- Download and install HFS Explorer (or similar software) on your Dell PC.
- Connect the external drive to the Dell PC.
- Copy the files you want to keep from the external drive to your PC.
- Put the external drive in the cabinet with the old negatives from Boots.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 16:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024