Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fitness 01:11 - Aug 16 with 4902 viewsGuppy22

I have read a lot about the players fitness and being Ramsay's fault, yet the fitness coach we have had for 4 years hasn't been mentioned, surely he is the issue? Not saying Ramsay shouldn't have control but this Carl fella should be making sure we are fit
Fitness on 03:27 - Aug 16 with 4836 viewsvegasranger

His name is Carl Serrant. He was with Warnock at Crystal Palace, followed him to QPR. I can't find anything on his qualifications. Ex pro with Newcastle. Toon fans wished him the best of luck, said he could hardly keep himself fit. Can't believe after the fitness levels we have had under Redknapp and now Ramsay he is still here. Not sure Paul,Chrichton the new goalkeeping coach will bring much to our set up. Lower league keeper and only coached at the lower levels. I know it doesn't mean just because you weren't a top player you can't be a good coach.
Fitness on 03:29 - Aug 16 with 4834 viewsFloridaR

Starting to look like a flea market set up.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: Happy I'm the 'chosen one'

Fitness on 06:01 - Aug 16 with 4778 viewssuperhoopdownunder

It looks like we have a few problems
Fitness - it is a joke that we have now played 3 games and can't run the games out
Lack of a defensive coach - get Gerry Francis back to the club asap - Ramsey is struggling
We still need a back up goalkeeper (Bentley? Smithies?)
a central defender (Ream?)
goalscorers x2 (Is Charlie staying or going)
What formation are we playing?
Whatever it was did not work against Cardiff - was it due to personnel? or formation?

It could be a very difficult season unless these matters are addressed
We have only played 2 of the worst sides in the division (according to the bookmakers)
Fitness on 08:37 - Aug 16 with 4630 viewsRecoilboss

I’ve been going on about Serrant for the last two years.

Redknapp after 5 games of last season: "Joey and Jordon have both got hamstrings, and Sandro did his knee yesterday. At one stage I couldn't pick a team. Took a little gamble on Joey and Jordon. Mutch had a bit of a groin, but now he's done his hamstring as well.” Faurlin, Barton, Mutch, Sandro, Taarabt - all knacked at the time, with the list growing.

And this is what Redknapp was spouting over two years ago on this same issue: “Pre-season is a vitally important period. We’ll need fit players, players that can play week in, week out. There’s some players we know we can get fitter than they were last year - there’ll be no excuses. Some of the lads looked overweight and not as fit as they should be last season. Their weights have got to be right and their fitness levels have got to be high.”

Whatever else is happening with the team, the failure of this aspect is inexcusable. These are highly paid professionals at a supposedly professional football club preparing to perform in the top league in the world (last year) and the most physically demanding (this year). The least they can do is be ready.

I give you… Carl Serrant - an English former footballer and current fitness coach, for Queens Park Rangers. (Official description: ‘Strength & Conditioning’)

Says Carl: “The modern player is more physically aware - they tend to be more athletic than years ago and are more conscious of maintaining their fitness during the off-season so they can return ready to train.”

Well that’s ok then Carl, hope you had a nice holiday too.
Fitness on 09:21 - Aug 16 with 4560 viewsJonDoeman

Why has every manager after Warnock kept him on, if he's no good at his job ?

It Is What It Is !!

Fitness on 09:27 - Aug 16 with 4547 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Fitness on 09:21 - Aug 16 by JonDoeman

Why has every manager after Warnock kept him on, if he's no good at his job ?

I wonder whether the answer might be due to being highly regarded by old skool managers?

Either way, that team is not fit by a good 25 minutes!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Fitness on 09:28 - Aug 16 with 4540 viewsKerryE

I was told a story last week by a professional coach. Basically a new fitness coach was appointed at a championship team, after one session the manager was informed that the players were not running properly. And after coaching, the long term result was a reduction in injuries.

So my take would be that a fitness coach would be a very highly qualified person.
Fitness on 09:59 - Aug 16 with 4476 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Fitness on 09:28 - Aug 16 by KerryE

I was told a story last week by a professional coach. Basically a new fitness coach was appointed at a championship team, after one session the manager was informed that the players were not running properly. And after coaching, the long term result was a reduction in injuries.

So my take would be that a fitness coach would be a very highly qualified person.

A few years back, a physio student needing to do a project for his degree, wrote to Ron Atkinson at United, and asked if he could work with them. Seemingly, at the time, they were having hamstring problems aplenty, so Big Ron agreed.

After his first morning with the squad, the student sat down and said, I've worked out why you're having so many hamstring problems: all your training develops the quad muscles and none the hamstrings!

Having used physios a lot when I ran, they were all rather critical of football clubs. Only Spurs and Everton seemed to be regarded by some.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Login to get fewer ads

Fitness on 10:01 - Aug 16 with 4474 viewsdaveB

not sure fitness was a problem yesterday, we had 2 good counter attacks just before they scored with players sprinting into the box. Problem was they scored a very good goal, sometimes you just have to accept it.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2015 10:01]
Fitness on 10:27 - Aug 16 with 4423 viewsNeil_SI

I personally don't think it's a huge issue.

We looked a little bit short at some stage in pre-season, but we've actually improved loads since then and every team at this stage is looking a bit tired and leggy. That's been obvious, even in most of the Premier League matches I've watched.

It's part and parcel of the modern game. People ask why — oddly it's actually because they're all fitter and running harder and faster than ever before, so they are trying to find those high levels of intensity from the outset and at a time when the weather is at its warmest. But it's the same for every side.

Where it becomes a problem for us, is we've actually had a few players back from injuries who may not have featured heavily — hence they need to top up their fitness and that's where we are specifically short, rather than a wholesale problem across the board.

There are more than enough matches, even in the opening month of a Championship season and with the League Cup, for us to get players sharper who need to be.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2015 10:28]
Fitness on 12:41 - Aug 16 with 4273 viewsozexile

Fitness on 09:28 - Aug 16 by KerryE

Not running properly? If you're not running properly after you're 13 or 14 its too late. You cant really change a way someone moves after this age. That's why scouts can discount players at a glance.
Fitness on 13:11 - Aug 16 with 4236 viewskensalriser

Cardiff are not one of the worst sides in the division by a long way.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Fitness on 13:19 - Aug 16 with 4223 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Fitness on 12:41 - Aug 16 by ozexile

Not running properly? If you're not running properly after you're 13 or 14 its too late. You cant really change a way someone moves after this age. That's why scouts can discount players at a glance.

I can see why you'd think that, but many athletes benefit from on-going coaching throughout their careers, which sees changes in technique resulting in reduction in their times.

However, I think the main point might also relate to physiology. If you say, train/develop other muscles e.g. the hamstrings more or the buttocks, then a person's stance and thus, their running ability can change for the better.

I once read of a player (possibly Tony Adams) was having injury problems and it wasn't a physio/surgeon that sorted him, it was a dentist. Because he had a tooth out of line, the resulting compensation his jaw was making, went on to the neck and so on. Tooth out, voila, his body straightened up and he as galloping like a thoroughbred donkey.

So, there might be some basis for this. I for one have often thought Junior Hoilett runs all wrong, something the sight of him limping off clutching a hammie adds to my amateur assessment.

Fitness on 13:30 - Aug 16 with 4207 viewsozexile

Fitness on 13:19 - Aug 16 by PlanetHonneywood

I can see why you'd think that, but many athletes benefit from on-going coaching throughout their careers, which sees changes in technique resulting in reduction in their times.

However, I think the main point might also relate to physiology. If you say, train/develop other muscles e.g. the hamstrings more or the buttocks, then a person's stance and thus, their running ability can change for the better.

I once read of a player (possibly Tony Adams) was having injury problems and it wasn't a physio/surgeon that sorted him, it was a dentist. Because he had a tooth out of line, the resulting compensation his jaw was making, went on to the neck and so on. Tooth out, voila, his body straightened up and he as galloping like a thoroughbred donkey.

So, there might be some basis for this. I for one have often thought Junior Hoilett runs all wrong, something the sight of him limping off clutching a hammie adds to my amateur assessment.

If basic movement patterns aren't developed up to the age of 13 then it isn't going to happen. So Adams movements may have regressed but he certainly wasn't taught anything that hadn't been already put there as a kid.
Fitness on 15:06 - Aug 16 with 4149 viewsTacticalR

Dutch coach Raymond Verheijen thinks that most teams overtrain.

He also thinks that the main problem with fitness coaches is that fitness training is not specifically tailored to football.

"If you want to improve as a player the most important thing is to improve the speed of your actions," Verheijen explained. "That proves football is an intensity sport and not an endurance sport. In endurance sports you need more and longer sessions and in intensity sports you focus on the quality of a session.

"If you want to increase your speed of actions, fatigue is your worst enemy. For every football session you need to be fresh and if you want to improve as a player you need to be fresh. In other words, 'less is more'. The only way a player can improve is with better training and not more training."

'Incompetent' Premier League training methods are ruining stars
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/10/2254345/incompeten

Air hostess clique

Fitness on 18:08 - Aug 16 with 4077 viewsderbyhoop

Karl Henry had no pre-season
Austin started late and then missed sessions through injury
Konchesky arrived just before our first game
Gladwin missed games through injury and probably would not have been selected if Mackie had been fit.

The whole squad had 2 pre-season games cancelled and had to re-arrange the last oone at short notice.

Is it any wonder we are undercooked.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Fitness on 01:37 - Aug 20 with 3870 viewsWilly_WonkR

Seen as we didn't concede in the 2nd half and even continued to attack does it put an end to the fitness criticism? Are we officially 'up to speed'?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024