Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I the only one ... 17:15 - Jan 10 with 4401 viewsDylanP

.. who is sick of the lone striker up front formation? It seems to be the new "written in stone rule" of QPR football formation? I find myself longing for the combination play between two actual strikers; rather than long distance hit-and-hopes and headers from CBs.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Am I the only one ... on 17:18 - Jan 10 with 2868 viewsQPRDave

I would love to see two strikers too.
Mind you they wouldn't get any service
[Post edited 10 Jan 2016 17:19]
Am I the only one ... on 17:19 - Jan 10 with 2863 viewsDeepcutHoop

We've not had enough strikers in the last few years to play with two up front, at least not with any support or back up.
Am I the only one ... on 17:23 - Jan 10 with 2839 viewsDylanP

Am I the only one ... on 17:19 - Jan 10 by DeepcutHoop

We've not had enough strikers in the last few years to play with two up front, at least not with any support or back up.

We have at least 4 at the club now -- Charlie, JET, Polter, Blackwood, Mackie, and Grecko-Cox come to mind

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Am I the only one ... on 17:24 - Jan 10 with 2839 viewsNeil_SI

It's certainly a formation that has dramatically changed the way football is played in this country at the highest level, and I'm not always sure it's for the better myself. But I can understand why and think it's related to the way fitness has changed for the better over the years, which makes it a risk if you don't pack the midfield and the other team does.

To play with two strikers, you do need some very fit box to box players in the midfield area, and we just don't really see many of those any more, probably because the physical demands are much higher than they used to be and most players are required to athletes first in order to compete.

It's unlikely you'll ever see the likes of Jan Molby, Paul Gascoigne or Matthew Le Tissier make it at the top level anymore for the same reasons. Some will say that's why Adel Taarabt never made it at a top club as well. But in many ways it's made football lose a little bit of its charm.

If we really played 4-4-2 at QPR, the current midfield pairing of say Sandro and Faurlin would be too mobile, so they'd have to sit deep while the two wingers would be expected to have enormous engines to get up and down in support, but also the creative ability to deliver those crosses into the box for the front two. They'd then need one of the strikers to be a really hard worker and to drop off into the hole or onto the deepest midfielder of the other team when out of possession to make it work.
Am I the only one ... on 17:27 - Jan 10 with 2830 viewsdaveB

we played 2 up front for most of last season
Am I the only one ... on 17:31 - Jan 10 with 2814 viewsHayesender

Oh how I long for the days of two wingers who can actually cross the ball, crossing the ball to two strikers

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Am I the only one ... on 17:39 - Jan 10 with 2786 viewspaulparker

we have been crying out for another striker for about 3 seasons now
would have liked us to at least go with 4-4-2 yesterday,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Am I the only one ... on 17:51 - Jan 10 with 2764 viewsFloridaR

We can play 1 upfront its just having a defence that is mobile and can frequently get to halfway line & can shift zonally, also fullbacks like Yun are critical in system of play but sadly this is not what we have to make the system fully functional.
Yesterday reports they tried playing a 4-1-4-1 with 4 center backs, anyone see anything wrong with that ?

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: Happy I'm the 'chosen one'

Login to get fewer ads

Am I the only one ... on 17:56 - Jan 10 with 2744 viewsFloridaR

Am I the only one ... on 17:24 - Jan 10 by Neil_SI

It's certainly a formation that has dramatically changed the way football is played in this country at the highest level, and I'm not always sure it's for the better myself. But I can understand why and think it's related to the way fitness has changed for the better over the years, which makes it a risk if you don't pack the midfield and the other team does.

To play with two strikers, you do need some very fit box to box players in the midfield area, and we just don't really see many of those any more, probably because the physical demands are much higher than they used to be and most players are required to athletes first in order to compete.

It's unlikely you'll ever see the likes of Jan Molby, Paul Gascoigne or Matthew Le Tissier make it at the top level anymore for the same reasons. Some will say that's why Adel Taarabt never made it at a top club as well. But in many ways it's made football lose a little bit of its charm.

If we really played 4-4-2 at QPR, the current midfield pairing of say Sandro and Faurlin would be too mobile, so they'd have to sit deep while the two wingers would be expected to have enormous engines to get up and down in support, but also the creative ability to deliver those crosses into the box for the front two. They'd then need one of the strikers to be a really hard worker and to drop off into the hole or onto the deepest midfielder of the other team when out of possession to make it work.

We could play 4-4-2 with a narrower shape & supply of shorter crosses, compactness would be better overall for this group.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: Happy I'm the 'chosen one'

Am I the only one ... on 18:01 - Jan 10 with 2731 viewsRaymond

Large reason why we've hardly scored any goals these last 10 odd games.

So boring that system.
Am I the only one ... on 18:02 - Jan 10 with 2728 viewsstevec

Am I the only one ... on 17:27 - Jan 10 by daveB

we played 2 up front for most of last season

I've been banging on about playing 2 up front for ages, it's just not the done thing apparently.

Hardly fair to condemn on the basis of last season, Zamora has only got one leg and that only lasts one half.
Am I the only one ... on 18:03 - Jan 10 with 2728 viewsBakes

Am I the only one who gets infuriated by our kick off routine? Pass ball back to midfielder who whacks it upfield to opposition defender, immediately losing possession. Ridiculous. Why not keep the ball? Why not give everyone a touch? Why not pass it around a bit and launch an attack? No. Not once have I ever seen this silly routine work and we've been doing it for years now.

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Am I the only one ... on 18:05 - Jan 10 with 2715 viewsBakes

And another thing, am I the only one who is sick to death of that bloody song we play before kick off? I don't know what it is! It's an imstrumental and it's about 16 mins long, I guess it's meant to gee the crowd up but it all it does to me is make me want to punch myself in the dick.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread and going slightly off topic)

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Am I the only one ... on 18:10 - Jan 10 with 2697 viewsTacticalR

Am I the only one ... on 17:31 - Jan 10 by Hayesender

Oh how I long for the days of two wingers who can actually cross the ball, crossing the ball to two strikers

No more wingers any more
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/153113/1995217/no-

Air hostess clique

Am I the only one ... on 18:44 - Jan 10 with 2618 viewsdaveB

Am I the only one ... on 18:02 - Jan 10 by stevec

I've been banging on about playing 2 up front for ages, it's just not the done thing apparently.

Hardly fair to condemn on the basis of last season, Zamora has only got one leg and that only lasts one half.

not condemning it at all but when we did play it last season the manager was called a dinosaur for doing so
Am I the only one ... on 18:49 - Jan 10 with 2604 viewsLongsufferingR

Am I the only one ... on 18:03 - Jan 10 by Bakes

Am I the only one who gets infuriated by our kick off routine? Pass ball back to midfielder who whacks it upfield to opposition defender, immediately losing possession. Ridiculous. Why not keep the ball? Why not give everyone a touch? Why not pass it around a bit and launch an attack? No. Not once have I ever seen this silly routine work and we've been doing it for years now.

Not on your own at all. How refreshing it was when Brighton came to LR and attacked straight from their kickoff rather than kicking for touch. Caught everybody by surprise, not least our defence.
Am I the only one ... on 18:55 - Jan 10 with 2578 viewsBluce_Ree

Dylan. Yes. I hate it too. Watching Charlie chase shit balls until his hamstrings fall off is no fun. Two up front has always suited us best but now football dictates we use wingers to get forward and fill the gaps and it's shit especially with our ones.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Am I the only one ... on 19:01 - Jan 10 with 2553 viewsShunter

Charlie and Poulter up front is my dream team, we must play 2 up front especially at home
Am I the only one ... on 19:09 - Jan 10 with 2533 viewsCopenranger

IMO playing with a single striker doesn't have to be boring, but it requires a support, that can set him up.
Ex. Bayern have played Lewandowski alone on top in some games and still played some of the most beautiful football in Europe with plenty of attacking force. I know it's a tough comparison, when they have players like Goetze, Costa, Robben etc. behind him, but still.. :)
Am I the only one ... on 19:13 - Jan 10 with 2517 viewsQPRDave

Am I the only one ... on 19:01 - Jan 10 by Shunter

Charlie and Poulter up front is my dream team, we must play 2 up front especially at home

Charlie yes, but Polter with him is your dream?!
Am I the only one ... on 19:21 - Jan 10 with 2492 viewsNorthernr

It's a distinct improvement on none up front. We're entirely reliant on Austin, a result of our entirely failed and v expensive transfer policy. But when he's not available we should at least pick somebody there.
Am I the only one ... on 19:32 - Jan 10 with 2455 viewsQPRDave

Am I the only one ... on 19:21 - Jan 10 by Northernr

It's a distinct improvement on none up front. We're entirely reliant on Austin, a result of our entirely failed and v expensive transfer policy. But when he's not available we should at least pick somebody there.

Yeah good point.

Apols Shunter I was drifting back to when we used to have a plethora of great stikers.
Beggars can't be choosers that's for sure
Am I the only one ... on 19:42 - Jan 10 with 2426 viewsbaz_qpr

Our most exciting football in recent years was with 1 up front under Warnock. And some of the worse football I've seen has been with 2 upfront and aimless punts to either Zamora or down the channels.

The problem is not the formation IMHO its not buying the players to play a specific way in a specific formation. In the Warnock promotion year every player was brought in to play a specific position / role that was there strength in the team.

We've bought players that are not suited to the formation we play, and retained players that are not suitable. Phillips and Austin clearly do better in a 4-4-2. Luongo and Gladwin thrived in a 3-5-2 at Swindon, Henry does well when he is the holding player and does not have to get up and down the pitch. Ale Faurlin is a deep lying playmaker in a 4-2-3-1 . Hoilett is most suited to playing very high up in a 4-3-3. You can go on about managers or it being the board but IMHO that is the problem we buy players without having the first clue how we are going to play them, instead of deciding on a method of play and then getting the best players we can realistically acquire for those positions.
Am I the only one ... on 19:47 - Jan 10 with 2411 viewsHollowayRanger

I can understand it in away games but not home games

away teams turn up at the loft full of uncertainty but we give them a easy time as we don't/cant put them under pressure with just one forward which allows the away teams to settle find their feet get into the game them pick us apart

two forwards two in the box doubles your chances of scoring or at least getting a effort in

1 striker marked by two centrebacks /or two strikers v 2 centrebacks hardly rocket science!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Am I the only one ... on 19:55 - Jan 10 with 2395 viewsbaz_qpr

Am I the only one ... on 19:47 - Jan 10 by HollowayRanger

I can understand it in away games but not home games

away teams turn up at the loft full of uncertainty but we give them a easy time as we don't/cant put them under pressure with just one forward which allows the away teams to settle find their feet get into the game them pick us apart

two forwards two in the box doubles your chances of scoring or at least getting a effort in

1 striker marked by two centrebacks /or two strikers v 2 centrebacks hardly rocket science!!!!!!!!!!

But often it also means 3 against 2 in midfield which means more longball and less possession
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024