Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is homophobia still present within football? 17:08 - Feb 22 with 7302 viewsfootballfan22

After the recent story involving Serge Aurier which hit the headlines, do you believe there is still homophobia embedded within football, its players or the fans?
Below is a short study which will aim to answer this question, therefore any responses will be greatly appreciated. This study is for a master’s project for a UK university. The link is as follows: https://lboro.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/attitudes-towards-homophobia

Is homophobia still present within football? on 17:38 - Feb 22 with 3209 viewssimmo

If you want credible answers for a genuine issue, don't include a link to the Daily Mail as your source material.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Is homophobia still present within football? on 17:47 - Feb 22 with 3180 viewsbosh67

I really don't understand how the sexuality of a person has any connection to how they play football. I don't care if any of our players are gay. It wouldn't effect how they play and it wouldn't effect how I support that player or the team.

I am sure in past years that there have been players here and other clubs that have perhaps hidden that from the others. I would hope that if any of our players 'came out' that the players, staff and fans would accept them for what they are, a QPR player.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Is homophobia still present within football? on 17:52 - Feb 22 with 3162 viewsfootballfan22

Is homophobia still present within football? on 17:38 - Feb 22 by simmo

If you want credible answers for a genuine issue, don't include a link to the Daily Mail as your source material.

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback, the last question which features the daily mail article is there to highlight the event briefly as many people may not want to or may not have time to read through a long article. This question is further optional for those who do not wish to comment.
However, thank you for taking the time to view the survey, it is appreciated.
Is homophobia still present within football? on 17:56 - Feb 22 with 3147 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Done,

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Is homophobia still present within football? on 18:11 - Feb 22 with 3123 viewsrsonist

Generally these things are scaled 1 Negative to 8 Positive... I would suspect that inverting them may skew your results.
Is homophobia still present within football? on 21:25 - Feb 22 with 2918 viewsJuzzie

I think tne question should be "Is homophobia still present in society". Its not exclusive to football.
Is homophobia still present within football? on 21:33 - Feb 22 with 2889 viewsTacticalR

A fairly detailed discussion of the topic after Martin Samuel's 'We need a hero' article:
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/69294/790209/barto

A couple of other points.

1. 'Homophobia' is a silly word because it implies that anti-gay sentiments are an individual psychological illness rather than the result of state policy and the older traditions of British society.

2. It's impossible to discuss 'homophobia' in football (and the implication that football fans are a bit backward) without looking outside football. Why, for example, did David Cameron's 2012 legislation make gay marriage illegal in the Church of England?

Air hostess clique

Is homophobia still present within football? on 00:08 - Feb 23 with 2770 viewsDannyPaddox

Yet-another-draw-at-home-o-phobia. That's the big problem at Loftus Road right now.

In the meantime good luck with the master's project.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2016 0:10]
Login to get fewer ads

Is homophobia still present within football? on 00:24 - Feb 23 with 2758 viewsBoston

Is homophobia still present within football? on 21:33 - Feb 22 by TacticalR

A fairly detailed discussion of the topic after Martin Samuel's 'We need a hero' article:
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/69294/790209/barto

A couple of other points.

1. 'Homophobia' is a silly word because it implies that anti-gay sentiments are an individual psychological illness rather than the result of state policy and the older traditions of British society.

2. It's impossible to discuss 'homophobia' in football (and the implication that football fans are a bit backward) without looking outside football. Why, for example, did David Cameron's 2012 legislation make gay marriage illegal in the Church of England?

Indeed it is a silly word, phobia...extremely scared of. It's not by accident that the word was contrived. Whatever your position(!) on the issue, it deserves more honest terminology.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Is homophobia still present within football? on 01:15 - Feb 23 with 2735 viewsbob566

Is homophobia still present within football? on 00:08 - Feb 23 by DannyPaddox

Yet-another-draw-at-home-o-phobia. That's the big problem at Loftus Road right now.

In the meantime good luck with the master's project.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2016 0:10]

Harsh.
Is homophobia still present within football? on 03:54 - Feb 23 with 2688 viewstimcocking

No, nobody in Britain gives a t0ss about anything like that apart from weirdos, religious maniacs and things like the daily mail. I don't think we have hardly any problem with racism or homophobia in Britain, or certainly a lot less than any other country on the planet. Anybody who says otherwise presumably hasn't travelled extensively. We are the planet's most tolerant nation in every respect. By some distance.

If the question means would a gay player get abuse from the crowd? Of course they would. Look what ginger people have to put up with. They'll chant abuse at anybody, it's part of the fun of going as long as you're not the one getting the p!ss ripped out of them. Doesn't mean anything, just 'banter' as it were.
Is homophobia still present within football? on 04:42 - Feb 23 with 2682 viewsFDC

I don't think we have hardly any problem with racism or homophobia in Britain

A very bold, and objectively flawed statement.
Is homophobia still present within football? on 07:28 - Feb 23 with 2608 viewsFDC

Re the OP: the scales on this are slightly confusing because they change direction across subsets e.g. low numbers = disagree on one subset, then = agree on another subset.

Also, in the first big subset the phrasing of the questions is such that the direction of the questions changes e.g.

"It is impossible to tell such and such about a person by such and such"
vs
"such and such is always possible".

This might lead to noisy data where people who are rushing through and only skimming the questions miss the change in direction
[Post edited 23 Feb 2016 8:15]
Is homophobia still present within football? on 07:39 - Feb 23 with 2593 viewsLblock

Look abuse is part of day to day life... or "bants" as the kids call it now.

I'd stop worrying about it, man the fcuk up and stop being so gay about it.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Is homophobia still present within football? on 07:56 - Feb 23 with 2570 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is homophobia still present within football? on 07:39 - Feb 23 by Lblock

Look abuse is part of day to day life... or "bants" as the kids call it now.

I'd stop worrying about it, man the fcuk up and stop being so gay about it.

Of course it is.

Saw Rangers-Brighton a few years ago at LR and it was sick stuff from our singing blocks.

Among my friends on here and in other parts of the Rangers family I haven't heard any, but that day was disgusting, and no Rangers fans booed the chanting either. Quite the opposite, many laughed with it.

As for whether it is present among the footballers or in the dressing rooms and offices of clubs, I wouldn't guess.

Is homophobia still present within football? on 08:26 - Feb 23 with 2528 viewsDorse

Is homophobia still present within football? on 03:54 - Feb 23 by timcocking

No, nobody in Britain gives a t0ss about anything like that apart from weirdos, religious maniacs and things like the daily mail. I don't think we have hardly any problem with racism or homophobia in Britain, or certainly a lot less than any other country on the planet. Anybody who says otherwise presumably hasn't travelled extensively. We are the planet's most tolerant nation in every respect. By some distance.

If the question means would a gay player get abuse from the crowd? Of course they would. Look what ginger people have to put up with. They'll chant abuse at anybody, it's part of the fun of going as long as you're not the one getting the p!ss ripped out of them. Doesn't mean anything, just 'banter' as it were.

I think Britain has a general problem with 'banter' or, even worse, 'bantz'. It is just an excuse to be a kunt to people. Example:

'You fcuking (insert racial / sexual / sexist slur)! You fcuking love it!'
'What? That's bang out of order'
'Naaaaah mate, it's just bantz innit.'
'But it is a racial / sexual / sexist slur!'
'You need to get a sense of humour mate'
(At which point the almost inevitably Chelsea-supporting imbecile looks round at the assembled universe like some Alabama courtroom lawyer appealing to the Klansmen in the jury for his justification. First person to catch his eye is his de facto support and to whom he addresses the standard 'See? He gets it! Bantz innit?')

Sun rise, sun set etc.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Is homophobia still present within football? on 08:40 - Feb 23 with 2506 viewsKonk

Is homophobia still present within football? on 07:56 - Feb 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Of course it is.

Saw Rangers-Brighton a few years ago at LR and it was sick stuff from our singing blocks.

Among my friends on here and in other parts of the Rangers family I haven't heard any, but that day was disgusting, and no Rangers fans booed the chanting either. Quite the opposite, many laughed with it.

As for whether it is present among the footballers or in the dressing rooms and offices of clubs, I wouldn't guess.

Ah, but Brian — it’s all megalolz and grade A footie bantz!!! One of my mates is a massive Albion fan, and says they get the same boring, unfunny stuff every week. Every time people are discussing upcoming games against Brighton on forums, at least two or three dullards will make references to backs to the wall/not bending down/gay pubs etc. I suspect these are the same people who nudge their mates when they see a gay/Lesbian couple walking down the street, even though they’re forty-eight. In my experience, it tends to be the same people who make rubbish jokes about Tottenham and pork based products/foreskins/skull caps.

I hate people feeling excluded and uncomfortable, so I’d sooner gay football fans didn’t have to listen to “Do you take it up the ar se?” and other s hite at Albion games, just as I’d sooner black fans didn’t have to listen to racist abuse and girls and women didn’t have to listen to “Get your ti ts out for the lads” every time a female aged between 14-85 walked around the perimeter of the pitch.

I do think we’ve come a long, long way since when I started going to football in the late 70’s, and we’re in a much better position than many other countries, but there are still plenty of idiots shouting out and singing vile stuff at games.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Is homophobia still present within football? on 08:43 - Feb 23 with 2498 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is homophobia still present within football? on 08:26 - Feb 23 by Dorse

I think Britain has a general problem with 'banter' or, even worse, 'bantz'. It is just an excuse to be a kunt to people. Example:

'You fcuking (insert racial / sexual / sexist slur)! You fcuking love it!'
'What? That's bang out of order'
'Naaaaah mate, it's just bantz innit.'
'But it is a racial / sexual / sexist slur!'
'You need to get a sense of humour mate'
(At which point the almost inevitably Chelsea-supporting imbecile looks round at the assembled universe like some Alabama courtroom lawyer appealing to the Klansmen in the jury for his justification. First person to catch his eye is his de facto support and to whom he addresses the standard 'See? He gets it! Bantz innit?')

Sun rise, sun set etc.

On the money. The 'banter' argument depends on everyone having the same humour as the Chelsea-supporting imbecile in your story. The problem is we know from suicide figures that they don't, and we know that we are not accommodating, for example, young, gay men with this kind of 'humour'.

I don't have kids, but as well as loving my nieces, nephews and godchildren I do try to toughen them up with humour, pi$$-pulling etc. No point sending them out in the world soft and naïve, or even serious. Life's meant to be fun. But there has to be common sense. Weight problems and sexuality, for instance, should not be topics for pi$$-pulling or banter. We have no idea what they think of being overweight or being gay, so we have no idea if our humour is reinforcing insecurities or inadequacies they may be feeling.

Best to chat sincerely about these issues. Plenty more stuff to laugh about!

Is homophobia still present within football? on 08:46 - Feb 23 with 2493 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is homophobia still present within football? on 08:40 - Feb 23 by Konk

Ah, but Brian — it’s all megalolz and grade A footie bantz!!! One of my mates is a massive Albion fan, and says they get the same boring, unfunny stuff every week. Every time people are discussing upcoming games against Brighton on forums, at least two or three dullards will make references to backs to the wall/not bending down/gay pubs etc. I suspect these are the same people who nudge their mates when they see a gay/Lesbian couple walking down the street, even though they’re forty-eight. In my experience, it tends to be the same people who make rubbish jokes about Tottenham and pork based products/foreskins/skull caps.

I hate people feeling excluded and uncomfortable, so I’d sooner gay football fans didn’t have to listen to “Do you take it up the ar se?” and other s hite at Albion games, just as I’d sooner black fans didn’t have to listen to racist abuse and girls and women didn’t have to listen to “Get your ti ts out for the lads” every time a female aged between 14-85 walked around the perimeter of the pitch.

I do think we’ve come a long, long way since when I started going to football in the late 70’s, and we’re in a much better position than many other countries, but there are still plenty of idiots shouting out and singing vile stuff at games.

Oh, there's no doubt that it's improved since I started going. Jesus, we've come a long way. Plenty more improvements to be made, though.

Is homophobia still present within football? on 08:57 - Feb 23 with 2479 viewsKonk

The pis s-taking between myself, family and friends is often brutal; I’d say a good 60-70% of our family’s time together involves ta king the pass out of each other for everything you could name. I’ve had friends who’ve been ill, going through divorces, redundancy and even the death of close ones and it’s taken no time at all before the jokes and digs have started. But underpinning all of that is the knowledge that we all love each other to bits, would/will do anything to help and that we’re just trying to add a bit of lightness to an unhappy situation. There’s none of that warmth when you’re sat at the football with a couple of thousand people singing “Town full of Benders/Pakis” — it’s not meant as a compliment, is it? It’s not like “You're just a town full of great municipal parks, great nightlife and employment opportunities”.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Is homophobia still present within football? on 09:07 - Feb 23 with 2452 viewsDiscodroids

Back in the 80's , One of my dads mates, Hornchurch Bill, used to make his Mrs wash the door step in her stockings and suspenders with no knickers or Bra on.

He wasnt there to witness it, he was at work in his Garage, but he liked the thought of his Mrs being lusted over by teenage lads on there way home from the local comp. He'd ring her up and she would tell him of any encounters that crossed her path while washing the step with her sweet meats on display , and he'd have a w ank in the back of his talbot Sunbeam on the strength of it.

She got arrested one day and that was that.

cheers.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Is homophobia still present within football? on 09:36 - Feb 23 with 2394 viewsMick_S

Is homophobia still present within football? on 09:07 - Feb 23 by Discodroids

Back in the 80's , One of my dads mates, Hornchurch Bill, used to make his Mrs wash the door step in her stockings and suspenders with no knickers or Bra on.

He wasnt there to witness it, he was at work in his Garage, but he liked the thought of his Mrs being lusted over by teenage lads on there way home from the local comp. He'd ring her up and she would tell him of any encounters that crossed her path while washing the step with her sweet meats on display , and he'd have a w ank in the back of his talbot Sunbeam on the strength of it.

cheers.

A Talbot Sunbeam?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Is homophobia still present within football? on 09:53 - Feb 23 with 2366 viewspomanjou

Is homophobia still present within football? on 09:36 - Feb 23 by Mick_S

A Talbot Sunbeam?

Sounds like a wrong un'.........

Siddeley Armstrong anyone?

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Is homophobia still present within football? on 10:55 - Feb 23 with 2305 viewshoof_hearted

Is homophobia still present within football? on 09:07 - Feb 23 by Discodroids

cheers.

)What is always called "wind up" or "banter" is mostly not meant seriously. The trouble with it is twofold:

1. It's barely funny the first time and not funny at all the second time (which is why attitudes seem to have changed so much on message boards).

2. It gives respectability, cover and validation to the morons who really do think like that.

(Hope it's obvious that this isn't a reply about Hornchurch Bill's missus
[Post edited 23 Feb 2016 11:05]
Is homophobia still present within football? on 11:57 - Feb 23 with 2246 viewsrobith

"There's no problem with racism, sexism or homophobia in football/Britain, it's just banter" say a group of, in all statistical likelihood, white, heterosexual men
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024