Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Video Assistant Referee 09:36 - Dec 16 with 997 viewsPinnerPaul

trials have started.

Watch this incident and let me know what you think.

If you watch the clock, there is about 1 1/2 minutes of play after the incident before play is stopped and in total it takes 4 1/2 minutes from the incident to the goal from the penalty being scored.

Finally where on earth would you put monitor at LR, without there being plenty of fan "input" into the decision.

I know plenty of people want "technology" used more, but this just looks a mess to me and would change the look and feel of the game as we know it.

Video Assistant Referee on 10:21 - Dec 16 with 980 viewsJuzzie

I'm all for technology but am worried football will just become so disjointed like American football with all the stopping. It's the frantic (hopefully) non-stop action that makes it so good.
Video Assistant Referee on 10:40 - Dec 16 with 957 viewsPommyhoop

Fu@k it I'd go for the whole Rugby League experience..
Video ref.. Big clock that stops when play stops . Hooter at the end ..Fck the ref's interpretation of xtra time .Zero back chat . Yard penalties for back chatting etc etc .. Even the mics for big calls etc ..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Video Assistant Referee on 10:43 - Dec 16 with 953 viewsLongsufferingR

Absolutely ludicrous. Shouldn't even be considered for fouls etc which are a matter of opinion rather than a matter of fact like the ball crossing the line or not. How often does a team of pundits watch a replay ten times and still not agree whether it's a foul or not. Ref or linesman didn't notice that trip - tough.
Video Assistant Referee on 10:46 - Dec 16 with 943 viewsPommyhoop

Video Assistant Referee on 10:43 - Dec 16 by LongsufferingR

Absolutely ludicrous. Shouldn't even be considered for fouls etc which are a matter of opinion rather than a matter of fact like the ball crossing the line or not. How often does a team of pundits watch a replay ten times and still not agree whether it's a foul or not. Ref or linesman didn't notice that trip - tough.

Yeah but there are obvious transgessions where NOBODY could defend the wrong decision.
Clints goal v WBA and C*
C*ntana's goal ...

Video Assistant Referee on 11:05 - Dec 16 with 925 viewsLongsufferingR

Video Assistant Referee on 10:46 - Dec 16 by Pommyhoop

Yeah but there are obvious transgessions where NOBODY could defend the wrong decision.
Clints goal v WBA and C*
C*ntana's goal ...

Like I said, the ball crossing the line or not is a matter of fact that technology can confirm in an instant. No problem with that whatsoever. All for it. Fouls, diving etc are a matter of opinion and should be left to the ref and linesman to make an instant decision rather than the game continuing for 2 mins before being stopped and brought back for a free kick/penalty 4 minutes further on. What if another penalty incident had occurred in the 2 minutes before the tech referee pointed out the first one?
Video Assistant Referee on 11:18 - Dec 16 with 905 viewsPommyhoop

Video Assistant Referee on 11:05 - Dec 16 by LongsufferingR

Like I said, the ball crossing the line or not is a matter of fact that technology can confirm in an instant. No problem with that whatsoever. All for it. Fouls, diving etc are a matter of opinion and should be left to the ref and linesman to make an instant decision rather than the game continuing for 2 mins before being stopped and brought back for a free kick/penalty 4 minutes further on. What if another penalty incident had occurred in the 2 minutes before the tech referee pointed out the first one?

I doesnt have to go on for two minutes .It can be sorted straight away and the clock can be stopped as soon as the whistle blows. The video ref would sort out game changing decisions like off sides . Red cards .. Goals.. Penaltys.. No one is saying a video ref for every decision ..Or maybe a challenge system like in the cricket might work..

Video Assistant Referee on 11:38 - Dec 16 with 881 viewsLongsufferingR

Video Assistant Referee on 11:18 - Dec 16 by Pommyhoop

I doesnt have to go on for two minutes .It can be sorted straight away and the clock can be stopped as soon as the whistle blows. The video ref would sort out game changing decisions like off sides . Red cards .. Goals.. Penaltys.. No one is saying a video ref for every decision ..Or maybe a challenge system like in the cricket might work..

These are not decisions that can be given instantly (which the ball crossing the line can). They are also not decisions that can always be made conclusively. Recipe for disaster. Watch the video again. The ref doesn't blow his whistle when the incident occurred because he didn't see it, so the game continued until the video ref brings it to his attention. As I said before, what if another incident occurs in the meantime. This would cause mayhem.
Video Assistant Referee on 11:44 - Dec 16 with 873 viewsJuzzie

re: fouls - diving has become so ludicrous it does need dealing with during the game. If it's something crucial (i.e. a penalty maybe) and the ref can't make an instant decision it has to go to the video ref.

Retrospective punishment for fouls/diving is a start but it has to evolve into action taken during the game.

Look at the Young/Derry situation we had at Old Trafford a few years back.... we effectively got punished SIX times for something that never was;

- Young was offside, not given
- Young dived, he wasn't penalised (either by free kick to us or a yellow for him)
- Derry sent off
- Penalty given to Man Utd
- Penalty scored, we're 1-0 down after 15 mins and now with 10 men. Game effectively over already
- Derry suspended for three games

Then you had the daft comments from Gary Neville in the QPR v Man City game a year or so later "it was a little bit offside and a little bit of a foul....but it was a great goal". That's like saying "I'm a little bit pregnant".

That goal never should have stood.

[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 11:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Video Assistant Referee on 11:46 - Dec 16 with 864 viewsPommyhoop

Video Assistant Referee on 11:38 - Dec 16 by LongsufferingR

These are not decisions that can be given instantly (which the ball crossing the line can). They are also not decisions that can always be made conclusively. Recipe for disaster. Watch the video again. The ref doesn't blow his whistle when the incident occurred because he didn't see it, so the game continued until the video ref brings it to his attention. As I said before, what if another incident occurs in the meantime. This would cause mayhem.

Sorry I didnt even watch the video at first.. I know what you mean but maybe both teams can have a challenge sytem like in the cricket..Like that fella who was fouled somehow indicates to the bench who press some button or something ..The ref is shocked by an electric collar and stops play. The video is revued and woe betide the striker if it shows he was'nt fouled and he's wasted a 'ref challenge''..Like if Peterson wasted a challenge when he's plumb lbw,,,

Video Assistant Referee on 11:50 - Dec 16 with 851 viewsLongsufferingR

Video Assistant Referee on 11:46 - Dec 16 by Pommyhoop

Sorry I didnt even watch the video at first.. I know what you mean but maybe both teams can have a challenge sytem like in the cricket..Like that fella who was fouled somehow indicates to the bench who press some button or something ..The ref is shocked by an electric collar and stops play. The video is revued and woe betide the striker if it shows he was'nt fouled and he's wasted a 'ref challenge''..Like if Peterson wasted a challenge when he's plumb lbw,,,

I have to say I like the sound of the ref being shocked by an electric collar. The one given to Trevor Kettle should be set to 24000 volts.
Video Assistant Referee on 11:51 - Dec 16 with 846 viewsPinnerPaul

THAT's my issue with it.

FIFA have said red/yellow cards etc that happen after incident but before game is stopped to review WILL count, whatever decision of review, and as you say - what happens if ANOTHER incident needs to be reviewed in that time - very messy.

Added complication is another point in the new "law" stating that once game has restarted incident can't be reviewed, so in this case if ball went out for GK, unless VAR is VERY quick to alert ref, then defending team will be wise to that and take GK very quickly before incident can be reviewed.

Can only see this - as it is planned at the moment - causing more controversy, not less.
Video Assistant Referee on 11:52 - Dec 16 with 842 viewsLongsufferingR

Video Assistant Referee on 11:44 - Dec 16 by Juzzie

re: fouls - diving has become so ludicrous it does need dealing with during the game. If it's something crucial (i.e. a penalty maybe) and the ref can't make an instant decision it has to go to the video ref.

Retrospective punishment for fouls/diving is a start but it has to evolve into action taken during the game.

Look at the Young/Derry situation we had at Old Trafford a few years back.... we effectively got punished SIX times for something that never was;

- Young was offside, not given
- Young dived, he wasn't penalised (either by free kick to us or a yellow for him)
- Derry sent off
- Penalty given to Man Utd
- Penalty scored, we're 1-0 down after 15 mins and now with 10 men. Game effectively over already
- Derry suspended for three games

Then you had the daft comments from Gary Neville in the QPR v Man City game a year or so later "it was a little bit offside and a little bit of a foul....but it was a great goal". That's like saying "I'm a little bit pregnant".

That goal never should have stood.

[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 11:49]

We all know on here it was a dive but if you're going to use technology as some sort of guarantee of getting a decision right, it would have to PROVE he dived. If you watch that back, Derry touches Young's arm. How do you prove the touch wasn't enough of a pull to make Young fall over? Those are the sort of problems that will be faced if you start using this for fouls.
Video Assistant Referee on 11:54 - Dec 16 with 838 viewsPinnerPaul

Video Assistant Referee on 11:18 - Dec 16 by Pommyhoop

How/when can to stop the game immediately & then restart (if no pen) in this example?

Drop ball in the area is a massive disadvantage to the defending team, drop ball half way line is a massive disadvantage to attacking team?
Video Assistant Referee on 11:56 - Dec 16 with 833 viewsPinnerPaul

Video Assistant Referee on 11:38 - Dec 16 by LongsufferingR

Spot on!

In fact its worse than that - he DOES see it and signals "No pen" but VAR, correctly under the instructions, tells him in his ear that he thinks he has made a "clear error".

Ref then has to wait until ball is in a "neutral area" before reviewing.
Video Assistant Referee on 14:41 - Dec 16 with 743 viewsJuzzie

Video Assistant Referee on 11:52 - Dec 16 by LongsufferingR

We all know on here it was a dive but if you're going to use technology as some sort of guarantee of getting a decision right, it would have to PROVE he dived. If you watch that back, Derry touches Young's arm. How do you prove the touch wasn't enough of a pull to make Young fall over? Those are the sort of problems that will be faced if you start using this for fouls.

In that instance video technology will have picked up the first offence, offside, rendering everything else thereafter irrelevant.

It is messy, I agree, but I think something has to happen or maybe just stick to retrospective decisions and make the punishment strong enough to get the players to stop practising for the Olympics.
Video Assistant Referee on 14:50 - Dec 16 with 732 viewsPinnerPaul

Video Assistant Referee on 14:41 - Dec 16 by Juzzie

In that instance video technology will have picked up the first offence, offside, rendering everything else thereafter irrelevant.

It is messy, I agree, but I think something has to happen or maybe just stick to retrospective decisions and make the punishment strong enough to get the players to stop practising for the Olympics.

The Young incident would work better than this example, as at least ball was "dead" ie penalty was given.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024