Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Forgotten Disaster 22:07 - Jul 15 with 1550 viewsHadders

I guess I am alone on here, but I have just learnt about the Burnden Park disaster. Apart from Hillsborough, Heysel and the Bradford fire, I've long known about Ibrox, but how often is this tragedy mentioned? Awful to think that they played the match (as at Heysel, which seemed shocking even at the time). A very sensitive, moving film.

[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 22:30]
The Forgotten Disaster on 22:48 - Jul 15 with 1475 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'd heard about it but - to my shame - I'd forgotten about it. Extremely moving film.

Thanks, Hadders.

Edit - spelling check.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 22:48]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The Forgotten Disaster on 23:51 - Jul 15 with 1414 viewsHadders

I happened upon this subject while looking at old pictures of crowds (which always fascinate me) and seeing this disturbing picture, then a few more horrible ones, all so reminiscent of Hillsborough. Interesting to learn about the changes which were made as a result of this tragedy. http://e0.365dm.com/15/09/16-9/20/bolton-wanderers-burnden-disaster_3354787.jpg?
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 23:55]
The Forgotten Disaster on 18:26 - Jul 16 with 1079 viewsBrightonhoop

The Forgotten Disaster on 23:51 - Jul 15 by Hadders

I happened upon this subject while looking at old pictures of crowds (which always fascinate me) and seeing this disturbing picture, then a few more horrible ones, all so reminiscent of Hillsborough. Interesting to learn about the changes which were made as a result of this tragedy. http://e0.365dm.com/15/09/16-9/20/bolton-wanderers-burnden-disaster_3354787.jpg?
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 23:55]

Not heard about that one, very moving film, cheers.
The Forgotten Disaster on 19:13 - Jul 16 with 1036 viewsterryb

I did know about this, but I'd forgotten how many had died.

It does seem incredible now that at the time turnstiles didn't record how many supporters were passing through. Also that the police considered it best to complete the game!
The Forgotten Disaster on 19:23 - Jul 16 with 1025 viewsjohncharles

I didn't know about this. Great film. All the more effective by just stating the facts and the testimony of those who were there.
Easy to criticise the police but calling the game off might have resulted in panic and a stampede for the exits. Who knows.

Strong and stable my arse.

The Forgotten Disaster on 19:47 - Jul 16 with 1000 viewsterryb

The Forgotten Disaster on 19:23 - Jul 16 by johncharles

I didn't know about this. Great film. All the more effective by just stating the facts and the testimony of those who were there.
Easy to criticise the police but calling the game off might have resulted in panic and a stampede for the exits. Who knows.

I wasn't intending it as critism of the police. Just that it would be unthinkable now.

I would imagine that it was a very real fear that abandoning the match could have led to further casualties.

A very moving film & as you said, more effective by not using hyperbole.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024