Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? 04:18 - Aug 6 with 8796 viewsDylanP

In your opinion, who is the greatest goalie of all time?

Obviously, the question is triggered by Smithie's rising stature and superb save today coupled with the fact that David Seaman was honoured at the game today.

So how would you answer?

For me its a really hard question. My favourite goalie of all time is Phil Parkes because he was the wizard between the sticks when I first fell in love with QPR. But we have been blessed with some great goalies through the years: Peter Hucker, Chris Woods, the ever entertaining Budgie, Paddy Kenny, and now Smithie, to name a few highlights.

At the end of the day, I think the answer must be David Seaman. After all, he earned 75 England caps (Parkes had 1) and played in 2 world cups and two European Championships for his country. It could be argued that Ron Sprigett should be part of the conversation -- after all he earned 33 caps for England and was part of the World Cup winning squad in 1966.

What do you think?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 06:01 - Aug 6 with 5412 viewsitsbiga

Top 5 must be in no order Parkes, Seaman, Hucker, Kenny and Smithies.
I'd go with top 3 In order as Seaman, Parkes, Smithies
Parkes favorite for me in who I liked the best.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:01 - Aug 6 with 5309 viewsCiderwithRsie

Springett was before my time but I feel he would have to be in the top three.

Nice to see Hucker getting mentions - one of the heroes of my young days especially after the FA Cup final. I never really forgave Jim Smith for continually picking Paul Barron ahead of him (though Barron was decent.)

On Parkes v Seaman, there is a case for either but I think you could argue that Parkes was at his peak when playing for QPR whereas Seaman was very, very good for us but probably that little bit better at Arsenal.

Stejskal ought to be in the top ten.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:08 - Aug 6 with 5299 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm too young to have seen Parkes etc but I saw Seaman play for us a few times and Hucker and Stejskal many more times.

Smithies is the best I've seen.

Though that's not really answering the question.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:17 - Aug 6 with 5282 viewsBluce_Ree

Rob Green.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:38 - Aug 6 with 5249 viewsMonahoop

Parkes. Seman, Hucker and Stejskal were fine stoppers, but Big Phil tops the bill for me.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:45 - Aug 6 with 5235 viewsfrancisbowles

Don't remember Phil Parkes making many mistakes and certainly not being beaten from the half way line!

It's big Phil for me and then the achievements before my time of Reg Allen and Ron Springett make me think they were 2nd and 3rd.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:47 - Aug 6 with 5231 viewscaliforniahoop

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:38 - Aug 6 by Monahoop

Parkes. Seman, Hucker and Stejskal were fine stoppers, but Big Phil tops the bill for me.

Parkes, Seaman, Stejskal, Hucker, Green(seven clean sheets in a row gets him in)
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:55 - Aug 6 with 5206 viewsozexile

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:47 - Aug 6 by californiahoop

Parkes, Seaman, Stejskal, Hucker, Green(seven clean sheets in a row gets him in)

I think seaman can't be on top due to him never saving a penalty and his shocker against Barnes in the FA cup quarter final. Hucker for me. He was immense in the finals.
Login to get fewer ads

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:03 - Aug 6 with 5189 viewsDejR_vu

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:17 - Aug 6 by Bluce_Ree

Rob Green.

don't forget Tony Roberts

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:14 - Aug 6 with 5170 viewsHooped_Pullie

This thread tells you one thing loud & clear : there have been very few periods over the last 50 or 60 years when we have NOT had a top keeper between the sticks. All of those featuring in this list have been massive for us, I'd even add Chris Day for a mention - solid for us in a difficult era, plus his save in the dying seconds of the play-off semi against Oldham (from Fitz Hall, of all people) has to be one of the greatest I've ever seen.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 10:16]
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:28 - Aug 6 with 5144 viewsozexile

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:01 - Aug 6 by CiderwithRsie

Springett was before my time but I feel he would have to be in the top three.

Nice to see Hucker getting mentions - one of the heroes of my young days especially after the FA Cup final. I never really forgave Jim Smith for continually picking Paul Barron ahead of him (though Barron was decent.)

On Parkes v Seaman, there is a case for either but I think you could argue that Parkes was at his peak when playing for QPR whereas Seaman was very, very good for us but probably that little bit better at Arsenal.

Stejskal ought to be in the top ten.

Seaman had that miserly back 4 at arsenal. I would have kept 20 clean sheets with them in front of me.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:54 - Aug 6 with 5092 viewsToast_R

Thats true but he wasnt known as "Safe Hands" for nothing. Excellent keeper and could pull off a game changing save when required. That one against Sheff Utd where he somehow impossibly clawed out a certain goal and that save vs Germany at 1-1 when England went on to thrash them. Best keeper QPR had although not at his peak then IMO. Hopefully Smithies will out shine him.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:58 - Aug 6 with 5086 viewsstowmarketrange

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:55 - Aug 6 by ozexile

I think seaman can't be on top due to him never saving a penalty and his shocker against Barnes in the FA cup quarter final. Hucker for me. He was immense in the finals.

Was he not the keeper at Watford for the penalty shoot out win in the league cup?Or is my memory playing tricks?
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 11:06 - Aug 6 with 5070 viewsdenhamhoop2

For me Spunky just ahead of Parkes with honourable mentions to Stejskal Woods then Camp,Hucker and Kenny and think Smithies might in time join the top 2 we have generally been blessed with good keepers admittedly many have had way too much practice
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 11:12 - Aug 6 with 5059 viewsSnipper

Ademola Bankole was the funniest goalkeeper we've ever had.

Back to subject:

1. Phil Parkes
2. David Seaman
3. Alex Smithies
4. Peter Hucker
5. Jan Stejkal
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 11:24 - Aug 6 with 5047 viewsconnell10

Big phil by far our best ever keeper imo.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 11:31 - Aug 6 with 5037 viewsnadera78

No one on this thread old enough to mention Reg Allen? Going by the history books he'd have to be in the top handful.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 11:40 - Aug 6 with 5030 viewsTonto

Surprised Springett hasn't even been mentioned but then again I doubt many saw him play (even me).

But we have been very lucky down the years to have some very decent keepers which makes this conversation difficult.

I also bet we are the only British club to have 3 keepers born in Czechoslovskia play for us! (Miklosko was Slovakian in the new arrangement the other two both Czech)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 12:13 - Aug 6 with 5000 viewsPlanetHonneywood

You want a keeper who is solid, consistent and every time the oppo attack, he doesn't leave you worrying you might shit yourself!

Thing about Seamen, you were never surprised by the goals he got beaten by. Nayim once, but the Ronaldinho goal was very poor. Never thought him that good when it came to free-kicks either. Barnes in the QF was a great belt, but I thought Seamen was slow to get to it, having left the whole goal for Barnes to aim at. Same for that wallop from Gazza at Wembley in the SF, it was at Seamen's near side to the post and he dived with the wrong arm. I don't want to undermine Giggs' goal in the SF, but I thought Seamen was diving backwards when he should have stood.

A good keeper depending on how little time was required to make a save. Never commanded the area enough and a bit too much like Rob Green. Although I will say this for Greeno, he played a blinder in the Poff Final.

Parkes was just solid. In any other era, he'd have amassed well over 100 caps. Smithies is the best we've had since Parkes and the fact we talk about him in such terms, says it all. However, thus far, whereas Parkes had a top-top outfit in front of him, Smithies hasn't, yet, but Parkesy faced the best players of the day and, thus far, Smithies hasn't been tested by the top-top. Both solid, with presence and an error is a rare thing.

Surprised not seen Chris Day mentioned yet. Equally reliable.

1. Parkes
2. Smithies
3. Day.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 13:07 - Aug 6 with 4945 viewsCamberleyR

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:54 - Aug 6 by Toast_R

Thats true but he wasnt known as "Safe Hands" for nothing. Excellent keeper and could pull off a game changing save when required. That one against Sheff Utd where he somehow impossibly clawed out a certain goal and that save vs Germany at 1-1 when England went on to thrash them. Best keeper QPR had although not at his peak then IMO. Hopefully Smithies will out shine him.

He was a good keeper but in my opinion, Seaman had too many dodgy free kick moments throughout his career, starting with the Barnes free kick in the FA Cup quarter final (yes younger viewers you read that right, FA CUP QUARTER FINAL!) flapping wildly that he made a complete bollocks of, followed by:
Gazza from 30+ yards in the cup semi at Wembley
The Koeman "he's gonna flip one, he's gonna flip one now" in the WCQ in Holland
Ronaldinho in the WC QF
And topping it all, though not a free kick, "Nayim from the half way line"

Phil Parkes number 1 for me. Absolute nonsense that when he was at his peak, Ray Clemence stole probably 40-50 caps that Phil should have had due to Revie and Greenwood's insistence on picking as many Liverpool players as they could manage. As alluded to above with the Arsenal back four, Clemence was fortunate to have that Liverpool defence in front of him.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 13:08]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 14:14 - Aug 6 with 4879 viewsHooped_Pullie

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 12:13 - Aug 6 by PlanetHonneywood

You want a keeper who is solid, consistent and every time the oppo attack, he doesn't leave you worrying you might shit yourself!

Thing about Seamen, you were never surprised by the goals he got beaten by. Nayim once, but the Ronaldinho goal was very poor. Never thought him that good when it came to free-kicks either. Barnes in the QF was a great belt, but I thought Seamen was slow to get to it, having left the whole goal for Barnes to aim at. Same for that wallop from Gazza at Wembley in the SF, it was at Seamen's near side to the post and he dived with the wrong arm. I don't want to undermine Giggs' goal in the SF, but I thought Seamen was diving backwards when he should have stood.

A good keeper depending on how little time was required to make a save. Never commanded the area enough and a bit too much like Rob Green. Although I will say this for Greeno, he played a blinder in the Poff Final.

Parkes was just solid. In any other era, he'd have amassed well over 100 caps. Smithies is the best we've had since Parkes and the fact we talk about him in such terms, says it all. However, thus far, whereas Parkes had a top-top outfit in front of him, Smithies hasn't, yet, but Parkesy faced the best players of the day and, thus far, Smithies hasn't been tested by the top-top. Both solid, with presence and an error is a rare thing.

Surprised not seen Chris Day mentioned yet. Equally reliable.

1. Parkes
2. Smithies
3. Day.

Er... I have mentioned him already...
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 14:42 - Aug 6 with 4844 viewsDWQPR

I may be wrong but hasn't the club broken the world record fee for a keeper three times with the sale of Reg Allen, Phil Parkes and David Seaman? Remembering my dear old Dad's opinions he rated both Allen and Parkes very highly and Seaman no where near as good. It was certainly Parkes for me over Seaman, Parkes commanded his area far better than Seaman ever did and it should also be remembered that Parkes was unfortunate to be playing in the same era as Shilton and Clemence, although I reckon he was better than Clemence. Woods was actually quite poor for us, Burridge produced the greatest save I have ever seen a Rangers keeper make away at Charlton in '81, twisting mid air to turn a deflected 30 harder that had been deflected over the bar. Hucker was a good keeper and brace enough to withstand the omniturf. Steyskjal was dodgy at first but became an excellent keeper for Rangers and probably the best keeper we have had until Smithies came along. I really rate Smithies and at the moment I would put him fourth behind Parkes, Steyskal and Seaman of the Rangers keepers I have watched since 1971.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 15:03 - Aug 6 with 4812 viewsBoston

Like many others, I have always been impressed / surprised at the number of quality keepers that have gone through Loftus Rd. One of these is head and shoulders above the rest, having plied his trade for Rangers when we were at the top of our game and him having to face the best strikers of the time week in week out, step forward Phil Parkes.
I have wondered if, in the back of a goalies mind, that there is the recognition of QPR's connection to generations of top class stoppers, it would help answer why we are continually able to attract such?
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 15:04]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 15:23 - Aug 6 with 4785 viewsdavman

Rob Green.

Bruce, you are a legend, steadfastly sticking to your guns. I laughed out loud when I saw your post - King Rob in your eyes.

He wasn't even the best keeper at the club from the moment Smithies arrived, let alone all time.

Seaman was awesome from the moment he came through the door at Rangers. Always destined to be a great keeper and always would develop away from QPR.

Parkes was great too, but Seaman the one for me.

Smithies needs to stick with us for a couple of season's yet maintaining his form to be considered in the same breath as those too. Bloody good keeper though.

Good thread, Dylan.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 16:05 - Aug 6 with 4718 viewsJAPRANGERS

Rob Green.

Really??

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024