Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What in the name of fu... 15:28 - Oct 11 with 5484 viewsWatfordR

...ck is this all about??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41580638

Sorry if it's a Spack, maybe I've missed this somewhere
What in the name of fu... on 15:40 - Oct 11 with 4412 viewsLunarJetman

Looks like a new tournament to, "creates more meaningful and competitive matches for teams and a dedicated calendar and structure for national team football".

Also, "The competition, which starts in September 2018, will provide four qualifying spots for Euro 2020 and will determine the composition of the draw pots for the subsequent Euro 2020 qualifiers".
What in the name of fu... on 15:47 - Oct 11 with 4379 viewsLunarJetman

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/11/nations-league-uefa-september-2

Uefa unveils format for new Nations League to start in September 2018
- 55 European national teams split into four groups based on rankings
- Competition to replace most friendlies will play part in Euro 2020 qualifying

Uefa has confirmed which teams are in each of the four leagues for the inaugural Nations League, European football’s new international competition intended to replace most friendlies.

Based on the coefficient rankings after the group stages of the European qualifiers for Russia 2018, England, ranked sixth, are in League A, while Wales (14th), the Republic of Ireland (19th) and Northern Ireland (21st) are in League B, and Scotland (27th) are in League C. All 55 Uefa nations are assigned to a league, with 12 teams in A and B, 15 in C and 16 in D.

At a draw in Lausanne on 24 January, each league will then be divided into four groups of either three or four nations and they will play each other home and away from September to November next year. A promotion and relegation system will operate between the leagues — four up, four down — and the second edition of the competition is scheduled to start in September 2020.

The winners will be decided at a tournament between the nations that finish top of the four League A groups in June 2019, with semi-finals, a third-place match and a final to be held in one of the finalist countries.

Uefa has introduced the competition to revive international football with more competitive matches and to give countries more chances to play against teams of a comparable standard. But many fans, players and pundits have expressed some confusion over the idea, particularly as it will run alongside qualifying for the 2020 European Championship.

That process will now begin in March 2019, with countries split into 10 groups of five or six, and the top two teams in each group qualifying for the finals. The major change, however, is that the final four places will be decided via play-offs between the winners of the 16 Nations League groups in 2018.

Each league — A to D — will have its own play-off competition with single-leg semi-finals and a final to decide who wins the place. The draw for those play-offs will take place in November 2019 and the play-offs themselves will occur in March 2020.

If the winners of a Nations League group have already qualified for Euro 2020 via the qualifying groups, their place in the play-off will go to the next best team in their Nations League group that has not secured a place. If a league still does not have enough teams for a play-off, as is entirely possible for League A, the places will be filled by the best-ranked teams from the league below.

Uefa Nations League sections
League A Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, England, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Holland.

League B Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey.

League C Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia, Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway, Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania.

League D Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 15:48]
What in the name of fu... on 15:52 - Oct 11 with 4366 viewsNorthernr

I've read through all this half a dozen times this week and still have absolutely no idea what it's for, how it works or why it's happening.
What in the name of fu... on 16:08 - Oct 11 with 4330 viewspaulparker

What in the name of fu... on 15:52 - Oct 11 by Northernr

I've read through all this half a dozen times this week and still have absolutely no idea what it's for, how it works or why it's happening.

glad im not the only one, that made my eyes and head hurt reading that

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

What in the name of fu... on 16:15 - Oct 11 with 4318 viewsWatfordR

That was kind of my point. But if it means more fkn breaks for more international football then someone wants shooting.
What in the name of fu... on 16:39 - Oct 11 with 4245 viewsDorse

It's quite simple. The winners of each group then go into a round robin, with the home draw to be decided by guessing which animal the draw-master was thinking of. The first round, post-season matches, are decided on goals scored, mental arithmetic, the obstacle course and the singing competition. After that, the team with the best runners-up coefficient goes into the swimwear round against the fourth-placed team from the post-season play-off round proper and the wild-card entry from the group with the most vowels. Following the monkey knife-fight to decide in which order the post-season, second phase deciders shall be played, each team will field their squads sequentially based on age, then height, weight, exam results and, finally, attractiveness to the chosen CONCACAF delegation before kicking off. Bonus points can be gained if the team captains are able to find water using the official dowsing rods. After that, it all comes down to a game of two halves, to be played in ever-smaller increments of time with inversely lengthier breaks in between.

En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land! En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land!En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land!En-ger-land!En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What in the name of fu... on 16:40 - Oct 11 with 4243 viewsMonahoop

Can't wait for this.............not to happen!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

What in the name of fu... on 16:48 - Oct 11 with 4215 viewssmegma

Which reminds me, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Login to get fewer ads

What in the name of fu... on 16:54 - Oct 11 with 4189 viewsWatfordR

So if I read this correctly, four team from League D, who will no doubt have gone through a Euro qualification campaign amassing a huge ZERO points and goal difference of about -400 combined, will qualify for a play off to qualify for the Euros.

Seriously??? I mean SERIOUSLY????????
What in the name of fu... on 16:57 - Oct 11 with 4183 viewsLythamR

If it to replace friendlies but is a competitive tournament where does the opportunity for experimentation and introducing youngster come

The only thing i like about it is that it allows the lesser countries to play competitively against similar opponents rather than simply getting thrashed by the big boys all the time
What in the name of fu... on 16:59 - Oct 11 with 4179 viewsWatfordR

What in the name of fu... on 16:48 - Oct 11 by smegma

Well I'm not sure that the current situation of international breaks every couple of weeks so the might of Kosovo gets a game is necessarily an indication that everything is working well, but this Nations League idea looks quite insane.
What in the name of fu... on 17:02 - Oct 11 with 4174 viewsWatfordR

What in the name of fu... on 16:57 - Oct 11 by LythamR

If it to replace friendlies but is a competitive tournament where does the opportunity for experimentation and introducing youngster come

The only thing i like about it is that it allows the lesser countries to play competitively against similar opponents rather than simply getting thrashed by the big boys all the time

Great, but why not let them have a qualifying tournament amongst themselves each Summer when the World Cup or Euro finals are being played? You could then knock out the need for probably four to six qualifying games from each qualifying campaign.
What in the name of fu... on 17:07 - Oct 11 with 4157 viewsLythamR

What in the name of fu... on 17:02 - Oct 11 by WatfordR

Great, but why not let them have a qualifying tournament amongst themselves each Summer when the World Cup or Euro finals are being played? You could then knock out the need for probably four to six qualifying games from each qualifying campaign.

sure, I was only trying to find a small chink of joy it what is otherwise a complete nonsense :)
What in the name of fu... on 17:13 - Oct 11 with 4142 viewsstowmarketrange

I guess that will mean even more international weekends than now.Great news for fans of the domestic clubs involved.Not.

Why can’t they let the minnows and Scotland go into a pre qualifying round and the winners get to join the big fish?
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 17:16]
What in the name of fu... on 17:52 - Oct 11 with 4073 viewsMrSheen

Which group are the Orkneys in?
What in the name of fu... on 18:00 - Oct 11 with 4049 viewsWatford_Ranger

What in the name of fu... on 17:02 - Oct 11 by WatfordR

Agreed. Gibraltar, San Marino etc. would surely benefit and learn more from competitive games than having eleven men behind the ball hoping to keep games to single figures.

But then there's not much money in that presumably.
What in the name of fu... on 20:57 - Oct 11 with 3872 viewsisawqpratwcity

Clive, I never want to hear you complain about the number of meaningless Australian friendlies dragging Luongo around the world ever again.

Soon we'll be cramming stacks of Championship games into the "domestic breaks".

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

What in the name of fu... on 21:05 - Oct 11 with 3855 viewsLunarJetman

http://www.football365.com/news/so-what-the-f-is-the-uefa-nations-league

This might help explain it a bit better.. or not...
What in the name of fu... on 02:31 - Oct 12 with 3714 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Oh I think we all know that the main motivation behind this is to pilfer more hard earned money from those mug enough to buy into this nonsense.

Until such time as fans vote with their wallets, the powers that be will continue to come up with money making scams.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

What in the name of fu... on 07:24 - Oct 12 with 3621 viewsdaveB

What in the name of fu... on 16:48 - Oct 11 by smegma

It is broke though, international friendlies are a waste of time so rather than play them they have set up a tournament where teams play other teams of similar ability, the weak ones get to play games where they can attack rather than put 11 men behind the ball and hope for the best.

They'll be played in the current international windows anyway, it just means qualifing for the Euros is done over a year rather than 2 years

I think it's quite a good idea although England are probably going to get relegated
What in the name of fu... on 07:32 - Oct 12 with 3615 viewsdaveB

What in the name of fu... on 16:54 - Oct 11 by WatfordR

So if I read this correctly, four team from League D, who will no doubt have gone through a Euro qualification campaign amassing a huge ZERO points and goal difference of about -400 combined, will qualify for a play off to qualify for the Euros.

Seriously??? I mean SERIOUSLY????????

one team from league D will qualify, its quite simple

In each category you have 4 groups of 3 teams. They all play each other, the winner of the group goes to the next round and is promoted to the next level up, the bottom team gets relegated.

The 4 winners in each category then play a semi final and final and the winners of that qualify for the Euros. So for instance in Category A you could have France, Germany, Spain and Belgium win groups, they go into the semi finals and the winners are in the Euros. England finish bottom so drop down to category two and whoever won a group at that level replaces them.

They are all done during current international breaks so no extra games

It's basically an end to meaningless friendlies as each match will matter towards your seedings for the Euros qualifying and as teams are in theory of a similar ability it should make for better games to watch
[Post edited 12 Oct 2017 7:35]
What in the name of fu... on 10:58 - Oct 12 with 3484 viewsWatfordR

What in the name of fu... on 07:32 - Oct 12 by daveB

In each category you have 4 groups of 3 teams. They all play each other, the winner of the group goes to the next round and is promoted to the next level up, the bottom team gets relegated.

The 4 winners in each category then play a semi final and final and the winners of that qualify for the Euros. So for instance in Category A you could have France, Germany, Spain and Belgium win groups, they go into the semi finals and the winners are in the Euros. England finish bottom so drop down to category two and whoever won a group at that level replaces them.

It's basically an end to meaningless friendlies as each match will matter towards your seedings for the Euros qualifying and as teams are in theory of a similar ability it should make for better games to watch

Thanks for clarifying Dave. Absolute nonsense that you are given a place in tournament finals for being a little less hopeless than Gibraltar imo. Can you imagine the Prem teams giving up a Champions League place to the winners of a playoff between the champions of Leagues One and Two?
What in the name of fu... on 11:08 - Oct 12 with 3474 viewsWatford_Ranger

What in the name of fu... on 07:24 - Oct 12 by daveB

It is broke though, international friendlies are a waste of time so rather than play them they have set up a tournament where teams play other teams of similar ability, the weak ones get to play games where they can attack rather than put 11 men behind the ball and hope for the best.

They'll be played in the current international windows anyway, it just means qualifing for the Euros is done over a year rather than 2 years

I think it's quite a good idea although England are probably going to get relegated

Seems a bit extreme to offer them an undeserved route into a major tournament though.

Group D teams should compete to qualify for qualifying and the right to move up to group C and not have to go through that, not given a backdoor route to further cheapen major tournaments.
What in the name of fu... on 11:46 - Oct 12 with 3443 viewssmegma

What in the name of fu... on 07:24 - Oct 12 by daveB

In your opinion.

I'd prefer the Home Internationals brought back rather than this nonsense. Or better still a return to summer tours by England. Two of the best trips for me were US Cup 93 (despite losing to USA ) and Le Tournoi 97 (which England won). Both tours were for WC hosts to test facilities etc. Then FIFA intervened and created the Federations Cup.
What in the name of fu... on 12:37 - Oct 12 with 3396 viewsmakaveli1882

What in the name of fu... on 07:32 - Oct 12 by daveB

Spot on!

International dates are pretty much the same dates every year and have been for ages.

http://www.fifa.com/calendar/index.html ......Calender here for next year.

LEAGUE A (Out of this bunch I hope we get either Iceland,Croatia, Portugal or Belgium)
Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, Switzerland, England, Italy, Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Wales

Last weeks trip to Lithuania was one of the best in a long time, funny seeing Wales and Scotland go out just need Ireland to lose in the play offs now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024