Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referee! 16:46 - Jan 9 with 2805 viewsPinnerPaul

Very interesting video if you have the time to watch

Referee! on 18:41 - Jan 9 with 2718 viewsHadders

Watching those Sunday League w@nkers yelling at the refs is embarassing - must be horrible. It's a horrible culture really.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 18:49]
Referee! on 19:25 - Jan 9 with 2684 viewsLongsufferingR

Sorry, managed the first minute but then couldn't stop thinking about that cretin from Saturday being dictated to by the MK players, so I had to turn it off.
Referee! on 13:42 - Jan 10 with 2501 viewsPinnerPaul

The level 4 AR had it spot on with one of his observations as it exactly matches my biggest gripe.

You always get someone who shouts at you, 'You saw that lino'. This usually relates to an incident that is 80 yards away from them and me.

Ref is something like 10 yards away, other AR maybe 20 but somehow despite watching football all their lives and NEVER seeing it happen they expect you, the furthest official away, to make the decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over!
Referee! on 13:44 - Jan 10 with 2496 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! on 19:25 - Jan 9 by LongsufferingR

Sorry, managed the first minute but then couldn't stop thinking about that cretin from Saturday being dictated to by the MK players, so I had to turn it off.

Don't want to sound rude and/or patronising but might be a good idea to watch the whole thing!
Referee! on 14:13 - Jan 10 with 2472 viewsHarbour

Interesting video blimey who would want to be a referee....especially lower league refs being threatened punched abused no protection.
Referee! on 14:53 - Jan 10 with 2440 viewsNorthernr

Referee! on 18:41 - Jan 9 by Hadders

Watching those Sunday League w@nkers yelling at the refs is embarassing - must be horrible. It's a horrible culture really.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 18:49]

Passed the exams and refereed kids football on a Sunday for extra money when I was a teenager. It was horrendous, and it was all from the parents.

I rarely showed cards. One yellow and one red (in the same game) in about four seasons of doing it, basically because I didn't think you needed them in a kids games - lads of 11-16 I did mainly - and I didn't think it was really fair that some potetially skint family get lumbered with a £30 fine because their kid misjudged a tackle on another kid in a boy's match.

Anyway this led to one of many low points, Gunness v Messingham, I'd estimate U13 level can't quite remember. But they were kids, and I was certainly no more than 17 as I hadn't gone to uni yet. Gunness midfielder commits three fouls over the course of about 45 minutes. This resulted in the Messingham manager, backed by several parents, screaming, shouting, swearing, demanding I send him off, demanding he be booked, shouting that I was a homer (Gunness, the home club, paid my match fee, £13) - grown adults, demanding a child be booked or sent off in a child's match. Came to a head when the Messingham manager came onto the pitch during the game to confront me and I said if he didn't leave the field and shut up then I'd abandon it. That got us through the last ten minutes.

Had another experience as a spectator watching my brother (who is a really decent player) play for Brigg Town at Barton upon Humber one Sunday. Paul had stuck a couple through Barton in a previous meeting and their tactic to deal with him in this return fixture was for the linesman (one of the parents, as it invariably is) to flag him offside. Flag him offside whenever he touched the ball. Flag him offside whenever he went near the ball. Flag him offside on one brilliant occasion when he picked the ball up in his own half and dribbled it into Barton's and went past a couple of their players - offside. Again, grown men, the parent on the line, the referee and the Barton manager, colluding to, in this case, cheat and win a game of U12s kids football.

Finished 0-0 and Brigg won on penalties - because even Barton can't flag you offside at a penalty.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Referee! on 19:08 - Jan 10 with 2321 viewsLongsufferingR

Referee! on 13:44 - Jan 10 by PinnerPaul

Don't want to sound rude and/or patronising but might be a good idea to watch the whole thing!

Fully aware of the pitfalls having been knocked out while a stand-in ref at a Sunday League game. Doesn't stop me getting annoyed at sht refs who are actually professional though. My reaction is strictly limited to getting a bit shouty and posting comments on here though, and you wouldn't hear a peep out of me at a kids' match, so no need to worry PP.
Referee! on 19:13 - Jan 10 with 2311 viewsBoston

Me too. Gave up all reffing and coaching years ago, bloody aggravation for 11 year olds!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Referee! on 23:29 - Jan 10 with 2246 viewsterryb

Referee! on 14:53 - Jan 10 by Northernr

Passed the exams and refereed kids football on a Sunday for extra money when I was a teenager. It was horrendous, and it was all from the parents.

I rarely showed cards. One yellow and one red (in the same game) in about four seasons of doing it, basically because I didn't think you needed them in a kids games - lads of 11-16 I did mainly - and I didn't think it was really fair that some potetially skint family get lumbered with a £30 fine because their kid misjudged a tackle on another kid in a boy's match.

Anyway this led to one of many low points, Gunness v Messingham, I'd estimate U13 level can't quite remember. But they were kids, and I was certainly no more than 17 as I hadn't gone to uni yet. Gunness midfielder commits three fouls over the course of about 45 minutes. This resulted in the Messingham manager, backed by several parents, screaming, shouting, swearing, demanding I send him off, demanding he be booked, shouting that I was a homer (Gunness, the home club, paid my match fee, £13) - grown adults, demanding a child be booked or sent off in a child's match. Came to a head when the Messingham manager came onto the pitch during the game to confront me and I said if he didn't leave the field and shut up then I'd abandon it. That got us through the last ten minutes.

Had another experience as a spectator watching my brother (who is a really decent player) play for Brigg Town at Barton upon Humber one Sunday. Paul had stuck a couple through Barton in a previous meeting and their tactic to deal with him in this return fixture was for the linesman (one of the parents, as it invariably is) to flag him offside. Flag him offside whenever he touched the ball. Flag him offside whenever he went near the ball. Flag him offside on one brilliant occasion when he picked the ball up in his own half and dribbled it into Barton's and went past a couple of their players - offside. Again, grown men, the parent on the line, the referee and the Barton manager, colluding to, in this case, cheat and win a game of U12s kids football.

Finished 0-0 and Brigg won on penalties - because even Barton can't flag you offside at a penalty.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I can identify with that Clive.

I got so p****d off refereeing an under 14 or 15 match with the constant demanding of free kicks by the players & parents plus all of the backchat.

Anyhow, I shouted as loud as I can "Right, I'm going to give free kicks, fail throws etc. for EVERY infringment". Five minutes later I asked if we could revert back to playing the game properly!

That was the last time I was a referee! Adult football would have been far easier to handle than youth.
Referee! on 00:40 - Jan 11 with 2217 viewsbob566

Referee! on 23:29 - Jan 10 by terryb

I can identify with that Clive.

I got so p****d off refereeing an under 14 or 15 match with the constant demanding of free kicks by the players & parents plus all of the backchat.

Anyhow, I shouted as loud as I can "Right, I'm going to give free kicks, fail throws etc. for EVERY infringment". Five minutes later I asked if we could revert back to playing the game properly!

That was the last time I was a referee! Adult football would have been far easier to handle than youth.

I played schools rugby and that crap never went on. What are they doing different
Referee! on 01:30 - Jan 11 with 2193 viewsBoston

Referee! on 00:40 - Jan 11 by bob566

I played schools rugby and that crap never went on. What are they doing different

Picking the ball up and running with it I believe.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Referee! on 08:48 - Jan 11 with 2120 viewsozranger

I really enjoyed the video and it brought back some memories having been a ref in the 90s and making it to the equivalent of the national youth league in Australia. However, while there is abuse, as we see it in this video, it is a whole different story in the "multicultural" society that is Australian football. Here it is not the parents but the nationality of the club that can be against you. Serbs v Croats, Macedonians v Greeks just to name a few and it can get messy both on and off the field - well it did back in the 90s and early 2000's.

Case in point, I was an assistant at a finals game between a Serbian team and another team. Here, the referee who was assigned the game was also a Serbian. The other team was non-aligned to any nationality and from the country areas. During the game, three of the Serbian team were sent off, one for calling the referee's mother something in Serbian. After the game we were barricaded in the dressing room for 30 mins and during that time one of the officials of the Serbian team entered to ask the referee "How can you do this to your own people?" Mind you, the other assistant was a policeman so there was no real concern about any break in by spectators or players.

These videos come out every now and then and after them the FA, or similar body, makes a plea to all to calm down and that happens for a little while. Similarly, there was a plea back in the late 90s to cut out swearing on the field with players sent off if they swore. That worked for a few seasons and then died again. Unfortunately, the mug punter out there will not want to watch this as it would spoil their ability to find some excuse to blame someone else for their team's mistakes and poor play.

And yes, I did get to send off a good few back in those days. I even gave a second caution to a player who was off the field on his way to the dressing room. I'll leave that as a test to see what the caution was for. The bench was not happy when I told them that they couldn't sub the player.
Referee! on 17:15 - Jan 11 with 2007 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! on 19:08 - Jan 10 by LongsufferingR

Fully aware of the pitfalls having been knocked out while a stand-in ref at a Sunday League game. Doesn't stop me getting annoyed at sht refs who are actually professional though. My reaction is strictly limited to getting a bit shouty and posting comments on here though, and you wouldn't hear a peep out of me at a kids' match, so no need to worry PP.

Cheers, although I don't do many 'kids matches' now. Not so much the parents, but just the general lack of organisation, pitch conditions etc.

Prefer to go to 'proper' grounds where you get fed and watered afterwards these days!

Had some experiences similar to Clive's over the years but on the whole behaviour not too bad in my part of the world at least.

As I said though, I only do the occasional U15/U16 game these days.
Referee! on 18:30 - Jan 11 with 1975 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Anyone notice Jason Jarrett?

Played a game or two for us.
Referee! on 17:21 - Jan 12 with 1879 viewsJuzzie

This could also segway with the recent "it only happens in football " thread.

A mate of mine used to be a vehicle recovery driver using a Hiab. Note the word recovery.

He finally jacked it in after years of getting shouted at, threatened, spat at etc by people who had nothing to do with the broken down car being recovered. All because they thought he was enforcing parking violations (even though the word RECOVERY was in big blue letters along each side of the vehicle) and decided to get involved in something that was none of their business. It was wrong on so many levels.

People are c**ts.

[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 17:27]
Referee! on 17:52 - Jan 12 with 1852 viewsTacticalR

Referee! on 08:48 - Jan 11 by ozranger

I really enjoyed the video and it brought back some memories having been a ref in the 90s and making it to the equivalent of the national youth league in Australia. However, while there is abuse, as we see it in this video, it is a whole different story in the "multicultural" society that is Australian football. Here it is not the parents but the nationality of the club that can be against you. Serbs v Croats, Macedonians v Greeks just to name a few and it can get messy both on and off the field - well it did back in the 90s and early 2000's.

Case in point, I was an assistant at a finals game between a Serbian team and another team. Here, the referee who was assigned the game was also a Serbian. The other team was non-aligned to any nationality and from the country areas. During the game, three of the Serbian team were sent off, one for calling the referee's mother something in Serbian. After the game we were barricaded in the dressing room for 30 mins and during that time one of the officials of the Serbian team entered to ask the referee "How can you do this to your own people?" Mind you, the other assistant was a policeman so there was no real concern about any break in by spectators or players.

These videos come out every now and then and after them the FA, or similar body, makes a plea to all to calm down and that happens for a little while. Similarly, there was a plea back in the late 90s to cut out swearing on the field with players sent off if they swore. That worked for a few seasons and then died again. Unfortunately, the mug punter out there will not want to watch this as it would spoil their ability to find some excuse to blame someone else for their team's mistakes and poor play.

And yes, I did get to send off a good few back in those days. I even gave a second caution to a player who was off the field on his way to the dressing room. I'll leave that as a test to see what the caution was for. The bench was not happy when I told them that they couldn't sub the player.

Johnny Warren describes this phenomenon in the 50s and 60s in his history of Australian football:

'The bulk of the migrants were young males, many of whom were accomplished footballers. Almost all of the migrants were at least familiar with football, but for many it was their life’s passion. Almost as soon as they had settled, they began to congregate with football as their focal point. It was something common to all, regardless of language or cultural backgrounds. The evolution of the St George club is an example of the unifying qualities of soccer. Hungarian migrants, many fleeing the Russian tanks and the 1956 revolution, arrived with only the clothes on their backs and would meet in Rushcutters Bay or Rose Bay, in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, and play soccer. They formed a club, called it Ferencvaros and played in the New South Wales second division. They joined the breakaway football federation and won promotion and became Budapest. Then, it was Budapest St George followed by St George Budapest and finally St George. They moved their whole operation to the St George district and became a St George identity. Other migrant groups - Italians, Greeks, Maltese, Czechs, Macedonians, Dutch, Yugoslavs, Poles, Croatians, Germans - all followed a similar pattern forming their clubs.

The need for migrants to form their own clubs exposes some unwelcome realities of Australian society. Many soccer clubs already in existence - typical Aussie district clubs - refused access to some migrants.'

Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters - An Incomplete Biography of Johnny Warren and Soccer in Australia (2002)

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024