Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Take note young players 12:05 - Apr 16 with 2897 viewssimmo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43777191

A definitive lesson in why young players should rebuff the attentions and offers of (particualrly) top end PL teams until they have at least a season or two of playing week in week out.

Who would you rather be at 21? Dele Alli or Patrick Roberts? Stay where you are and play some proper fckin football.

Congrats to Fulham and Sessegnon for doing things right.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 12:05]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Take note young players on 12:09 - Apr 16 with 2880 viewsbosh67

Should be on the plane to Russia for the World Cup this lad.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Take note young players on 12:37 - Apr 16 with 2822 viewssmegma

Adebayo Efinw@nka upfront ??? !!!!!
Take note young players on 17:38 - Apr 16 with 2640 viewspaesanu

It shouldn't be estimated how incredibly tempting it must have been for Sessegnon's parents to follow the dollar signs, but no, they told ambulance-chasing agents to stay back from their son and let him continue his development at Fulham. His reward will come later, for himself and probably England.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Take note young players on 20:51 - Apr 16 with 2555 viewssmegma

Take note young players on 17:38 - Apr 16 by paesanu

It shouldn't be estimated how incredibly tempting it must have been for Sessegnon's parents to follow the dollar signs, but no, they told ambulance-chasing agents to stay back from their son and let him continue his development at Fulham. His reward will come later, for himself and probably England.

Take note Dean Parrett and Josh Bowler.
Take note young players on 21:47 - Apr 16 with 2482 viewsnix

One of my absolute bugbears is the big clubs hoovering up young players and putting them on the bench or sending them out on indefinite loan with no hope of making the first team. It does nothing for their development in my view.

Not only that but it destroys a potential income stream for smaller clubs in developing good young players and selling them on.
Take note young players on 22:14 - Apr 16 with 2449 viewskensalriser

Take note young players on 20:51 - Apr 16 by smegma

Take note Dean Parrett and Josh Bowler.

Parrett's 26 now and his entire first team career has been below the Championship, which suggests that's his natural level. Quite likely that he wouldn't have made many appearances for QPR had he stayed.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Take note young players on 23:09 - Apr 16 with 2395 viewssmegma

Take note young players on 22:14 - Apr 16 by kensalriser

Parrett's 26 now and his entire first team career has been below the Championship, which suggests that's his natural level. Quite likely that he wouldn't have made many appearances for QPR had he stayed.

I said it at the time that it was the wrong decision to join Spurs .He wasted 5 years of his development, I'd add it was possibly THE most important period of his development. He made 4 appearances and all in the UEFA Cup/Europa League. Yet during that period played fairly regularly for England at most age levels as he grew up. I saw him play twice for England, once at Wembley even, and he was outstanding in both games. In the last few seasons his career has been blighted following an operation for serious knee injury.
Take note young players on 13:30 - Apr 17 with 2236 viewsphilc

If Josh Bowler had stayed with us, I strongly suspect that he would have played more first team games in the Championship than he has for the u23's at Everton.

Also saw some interesting comments by Nicky Butt regarding the limitations of the Premier Division 2 regarding player development, although he might be biased due to Man Utd being relegated.
Login to get fewer ads

Take note young players on 14:01 - Apr 17 with 2186 viewsDavieQPR

Josh Bowler has yet to play a competitive match for U23s only 7 friendlies.
Take note young players on 14:27 - Apr 17 with 2146 viewsNorthernr

Take note young players on 14:01 - Apr 17 by DavieQPR

Bet he's got a nice motor though. Or his parents have. And that's what it's all about.
Take note young players on 14:39 - Apr 17 with 2132 viewssimmo

Lookman had a better idea of it. Went to Everton, hit the ground running and started well (scored on his debut), still wasn't being picked so went against Allardyce and demanded a loan move.

Bowler could easily be another waste but then, how do we know he would have been any good anyway? He's got 1 professional appearance in a dead rubber against Norwich.

Take note young players on 14:54 - Apr 17 with 2122 viewspaulparker

Take note young players on 14:27 - Apr 17 by Northernr

Bet he's got a nice motor though. Or his parents have. And that's what it's all about.

What clive said all day long , Its the parents getting richer and seeing pound signs that is killing English football as much as the clubs, agents etc

also fair play to lads like Sancho, lookman , Oxford , ryan Kent, chris willock , kaylen Hinds , Mcguane who have left the comforts of academy football and who have now gone abroad to get game time

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Take note young players on 15:00 - Apr 17 with 2098 viewsMick_S

Take note young players on 14:54 - Apr 17 by paulparker

What clive said all day long , Its the parents getting richer and seeing pound signs that is killing English football as much as the clubs, agents etc

also fair play to lads like Sancho, lookman , Oxford , ryan Kent, chris willock , kaylen Hinds , Mcguane who have left the comforts of academy football and who have now gone abroad to get game time

I mentioned it a while back, but keep an eye out for Henderson at Shrewsbury. He's on loan from Man Utd and is their third choice keeper at the moment. He has rejected three contract improvements as he is after first team football. The only way he can ever become No1 at Man Utd is if they sell him and buy him back in a few years.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Take note young players on 15:01 - Apr 17 with 2092 viewsNorthernr

Take note young players on 15:00 - Apr 17 by Mick_S

I mentioned it a while back, but keep an eye out for Henderson at Shrewsbury. He's on loan from Man Utd and is their third choice keeper at the moment. He has rejected three contract improvements as he is after first team football. The only way he can ever become No1 at Man Utd is if they sell him and buy him back in a few years.

Loaned to Grimsby last season and they raved about him there.
Take note young players on 15:01 - Apr 17 with 2090 viewskensalriser

Take note young players on 23:09 - Apr 16 by smegma

I said it at the time that it was the wrong decision to join Spurs .He wasted 5 years of his development, I'd add it was possibly THE most important period of his development. He made 4 appearances and all in the UEFA Cup/Europa League. Yet during that period played fairly regularly for England at most age levels as he grew up. I saw him play twice for England, once at Wembley even, and he was outstanding in both games. In the last few seasons his career has been blighted following an operation for serious knee injury.

I'm sure he did waste valuable development time, but he was loaned out to five different clubs while he was with Spurs and going on the low number of appearances none of them went well.

It's entirely possible that financially he's much better off doing what he did because he was never going to play in the top two divisions anyway.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Take note young players on 15:02 - Apr 17 with 2089 viewssmegma

If you're talking about Everton I saw him play against Spurs at their training ground in a league match in January.
Spoke to an Evertonian who reckon he stayed with us on loan as he has hardly kicked a ball for them.
Take note young players on 15:46 - Apr 17 with 2046 viewsaston_hoop

Are we all being a little harsh on Josh Bowler? He only turned 19 last month, his career is hardly over! has played for the U23s including all their games in that daft Johnstones Paint trophy rehash mess. Regardless of our current situation now, the QPR he grew up with was hardly known for giving young players a go and Everton are seemingly happy to give them a chance...well he didn't know Allardyce would become manager!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Take note young players on 15:52 - Apr 17 with 2034 viewssimmo

Take note young players on 15:46 - Apr 17 by aston_hoop

Are we all being a little harsh on Josh Bowler? He only turned 19 last month, his career is hardly over! has played for the U23s including all their games in that daft Johnstones Paint trophy rehash mess. Regardless of our current situation now, the QPR he grew up with was hardly known for giving young players a go and Everton are seemingly happy to give them a chance...well he didn't know Allardyce would become manager!

He was bought to specifically be in their U23 development squad, where as he was around the first team with us and would have far more opportunity to play than the guaranteed youth football he moved for.

Regardless, the wider point is people like Alli and Sessegnon show the value in staying put and chasing 1st team games for your education, rather than being in a pristine academy with nothing but a PL team badge on your tracksuit to show you're a professional footballer.

Goss is another one, no pro appearances at all until he was 21, what a fckin joke.

Take note young players on 15:56 - Apr 17 with 2023 viewsloftboy

Take note young players on 15:52 - Apr 17 by simmo

He was bought to specifically be in their U23 development squad, where as he was around the first team with us and would have far more opportunity to play than the guaranteed youth football he moved for.

Regardless, the wider point is people like Alli and Sessegnon show the value in staying put and chasing 1st team games for your education, rather than being in a pristine academy with nothing but a PL team badge on your tracksuit to show you're a professional footballer.

Goss is another one, no pro appearances at all until he was 21, what a fckin joke.

To think Rooney and Owen must have about 150 games under their belt at that age

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Take note young players on 16:07 - Apr 17 with 1993 viewsphilc

If I was going to join a progressive team for youth development, then Everton or Arsenal would probably be my choice as they do give a lot of young players an opportunity.

I feel that Josh should have signed for another couple of years with us before moving to another club, but only time will tell which is the correct decision, over the past few years we do not have an impressive recorded of bringing through or even improving youth players.

(However, we are now trying to improve this, which is good news).
Take note young players on 16:17 - Apr 17 with 1981 viewsphilc

"Goss is another one, no pro appearances at all until he was 21, what a fckin joke."

If a player hasn't made it to the first team squad by the time they are 20/21, they should consider moving on as I doubt they are good enough to make it at the club they are at.
Take note young players on 16:25 - Apr 17 with 1964 viewssmegma

One thing I'll say about Bowler is I didn't recognise him as he has really filled out. He must've done some serious weight training as he is really muscular.
Take note young players on 16:38 - Apr 17 with 1942 viewsaston_hoop

Take note young players on 15:52 - Apr 17 by simmo

The thing is, I do completely agree that first team football at a smaller club like ours is 100 million times better than rotting in an academy, just have to look at the England squad and see where most of the players got their experience from....but maybe he simply didn't believe that he'd get enough games? He'd have seen Mide Shodipo thrown under the bus by Holloway during last season and then sent out on loan and thought that he'd have a better chance at Everton. Far better training facilities and coaching but with a pretty similar chance of ending up on loan in L1/L2? Obviously knowing what we know now, he'd have played some games but there was no reason for him to believe it. I don't know really, I'm just speculating it seems a little harsh on him.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024