Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs 06:51 - Apr 21 with 3598 viewseastside_r

Anyone else done it. Following on from the Ireland thread.

There is definitely something in this as it recognised my older sibling as a match and also a few cousins (mostly second) but it found my sister to be 60% British whereas I was only about 9%.

They also have a category which is Irish / Welsh / Scottish (two of which are apparently not British LOL) of which I am almost 30%.

But I am apparently 45% Western Europe and also quite strongly Scandinavian.

All my grandparents were born in London but being Cockneys / East End I expected to be a bit 'mixed' but WTF. I always get mistaken for Spanish when abroad (<1% apparrently genetically) and I often get mistaken as a Jew, also less tha one percent which surprised me.

I am also apparently trace Polynesian so give me those beads
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 08:52 - Apr 21 with 3511 viewsdistortR

'and I often get mistaken as a jew' - well, you will be if you insist on wearing a tottenham shirt into the paddock!
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 11:11 - Apr 21 with 3454 viewsisawqpratwcity

Got an Ancestry one for my Mum's birthday and it came back only the other day.

Both her parents were Welsh but with a grandmother from Durham.

Her DNA report reckoned majority (can't remember exact numbers) English/Welsh, predominately Southern England; about 25% Scottish/Irish/Welsh; 9% Scandinavian; 4% Southern Med; 3% Eastern Europe; 3% Iberian Pen; 1% Central Asia.

To their credit, it did throw up one relative (second cousin) we can positively identify as being correct, but apart from that it was vague in attributing regions and really threw up a lot more question marks than answers. I think their databases could use a lot more base data, particularly from 'known' (ie, ancestry traced) ethnic/geographic groups to sharpen their determinations of origin.

A small caveat for Aussies of several generations status: they don't do a determination of Aboriginal ancestry. These days everybody wants a bushranger in their family tree, or at least a convict or two, but they're clearly still not ready to find out that maybe they've got a longer-standing claim of title to the continent than they'd prefer to acknowledge. Myself, I think it would be great to be part of a civilisation that goes back at least 50 millennia (the British Isles were repopulated from scratch only after the last Ice Age, maybe 10 millennia). So, if that might be a particular concern, then rest easy, you won't be embarrassed. God knows how, or even if, they explain the missing ancestry.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2018 11:25]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 11:55 - Apr 21 with 3412 viewsDorse

Got mine back. Says I am a Labrador / Collie cross.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 11:57 - Apr 21 with 3387 viewsBoston

Apparently I’m 100% Homo Sapien, which I found a tad disappointing as it’s rather the thing to have a trace of Neanderthal these days.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 12:03 - Apr 21 with 3393 viewsdistortR

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 11:57 - Apr 21 by Boston

Apparently I’m 100% Homo Sapien, which I found a tad disappointing as it’s rather the thing to have a trace of Neanderthal these days.

a tad surprising, too........

now where's Dorse got to.... Dorse? Dorse? here boy!
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 12:28 - Apr 21 with 3347 viewsDorse

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 12:03 - Apr 21 by distortR

a tad surprising, too........

now where's Dorse got to.... Dorse? Dorse? here boy!

Sorry? What? I was just licking my nads.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 12:30 - Apr 21 with 3320 viewsBoston

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 12:28 - Apr 21 by Dorse

...sit, SIT.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 13:05 - Apr 21 with 3312 viewsSnipper

I’d be scared to do it in case it said I was related to the Royal Family and was 342nd in line to the throne.
Login to get fewer ads

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 13:23 - Apr 21 with 3282 viewseastside_r

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 08:52 - Apr 21 by distortR

'and I often get mistaken as a jew' - well, you will be if you insist on wearing a tottenham shirt into the paddock!

I think that the Tottenham thing may been correct once but coming from a very Jewish part of NE London is now defunct.

Many of my Jewish acquaintances support other teams.

Peace and respect as always. Shalom.
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 13:34 - Apr 21 with 3260 viewseastside_r

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 11:11 - Apr 21 by isawqpratwcity

Her DNA report reckoned majority (can't remember exact numbers) English/Welsh, predominately Southern England; about 25% Scottish/Irish/Welsh; 9% Scandinavian; 4% Southern Med; 3% Eastern Europe; 3% Iberian Pen; 1% Central Asia.

To their credit, it did throw up one relative (second cousin) we can positively identify as being correct, but apart from that it was vague in attributing regions and really threw up a lot more question marks than answers. I think their databases could use a lot more base data, particularly from 'known' (ie, ancestry traced) ethnic/geographic groups to sharpen their determinations of origin.

A small caveat for Aussies of several generations status: they don't do a determination of Aboriginal ancestry. These days everybody wants a bushranger in their family tree, or at least a convict or two, but they're clearly still not ready to find out that maybe they've got a longer-standing claim of title to the continent than they'd prefer to acknowledge. Myself, I think it would be great to be part of a civilisation that goes back at least 50 millennia (the British Isles were repopulated from scratch only after the last Ice Age, maybe 10 millennia). So, if that might be a particular concern, then rest easy, you won't be embarrassed. God knows how, or even if, they explain the missing ancestry.

Yeah I do have an issue with their ethno -regions.

I think it is a bit of a myth that most 'European' Aussies are from convict stock. I know I had a distant relative (convicted of some minor crime) transported to Tasmania who came back.

I think that they are a US company which might explain some of their categorisations.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2018 13:38]
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 15:08 - Apr 21 with 3186 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 13:34 - Apr 21 by eastside_r

Yeah I do have an issue with their ethno -regions.

I think it is a bit of a myth that most 'European' Aussies are from convict stock. I know I had a distant relative (convicted of some minor crime) transported to Tasmania who came back.

I think that they are a US company which might explain some of their categorisations.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2018 13:38]

I didn't say they were from convict stock, I said they wanted to be from convict stock. While once having a convict ancestor was social death (South Australians still boast that their state was founded solely by free settlers) nowadays it carries a certain social chic. Unlike being part Native Australian, which still doesn't.

Ancestry Inc. is an American database and service (don't they have something like a couple of dozen genetic regions for the Americas?), but it's probably the world's largest database for any region these days due to aggressive marketing worldwide. It was founded by a couple of Mormons who maybe saw it as another way to extend the Latter Day Saints interest in genealogy (they are into 'baptising' the dead as members of their own church) and/or maybe as a way of getting very rich.

In the end we were disappointed that the results showing breakdown of origins both within the British Isles and within Europe were so fuzzy and overlapping (insufficient database discrimination) and that the various regions pointed to in the DNA tests were so unexplained and apparently random (though that's not their fault, of course, but we'd have to put in a huge amount of work to explain that ancestry).

One other disappointment: some genetic services, but not Ancestry, also investigate mitochondrial DNA, which is maternally transmitted, so you can get an indication of the specific maternal lineage.

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 17:28 - Apr 21 with 3120 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 11:11 - Apr 21 by isawqpratwcity

Oh no, he used the term 'British Isles'!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 17:59 - Apr 21 with 3104 viewsdistortR

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 17:28 - Apr 21 by BrianMcCarthy

yeah isaw, swop 'british isles' for 'England's natural domain'.

Anything to keep you happy, Brian.
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 18:17 - Apr 21 with 3091 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 17:59 - Apr 21 by distortR

yeah isaw, swop 'british isles' for 'England's natural domain'.

Anything to keep you happy, Brian.

Half English. Half Welsh. Half Irish.

Btw. Now that Loftinoz looks like staying that way. Someone needs to take over the knuckle rapping ruler for bad grammar.

It's obvs not obs! ;)

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 02:07 - Apr 22 with 3002 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 17:28 - Apr 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Brian, give up this faux outrage. You told us where you were born. Just saying 'tings' and 'fillum' ain't fooling anybody.

"... you are an Englishman, and have subsequently drawn the greatest prize in the lottery of life." [Cecil Rhodes]

Your DNA will probably show an Irish connection that starts with Oliver Cromwell. (I may have gone too far with that one. )

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 02:30 - Apr 22 with 2983 viewseastside_r

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 15:08 - Apr 21 by isawqpratwcity

I didn't say they were from convict stock, I said they wanted to be from convict stock. While once having a convict ancestor was social death (South Australians still boast that their state was founded solely by free settlers) nowadays it carries a certain social chic. Unlike being part Native Australian, which still doesn't.

Ancestry Inc. is an American database and service (don't they have something like a couple of dozen genetic regions for the Americas?), but it's probably the world's largest database for any region these days due to aggressive marketing worldwide. It was founded by a couple of Mormons who maybe saw it as another way to extend the Latter Day Saints interest in genealogy (they are into 'baptising' the dead as members of their own church) and/or maybe as a way of getting very rich.

In the end we were disappointed that the results showing breakdown of origins both within the British Isles and within Europe were so fuzzy and overlapping (insufficient database discrimination) and that the various regions pointed to in the DNA tests were so unexplained and apparently random (though that's not their fault, of course, but we'd have to put in a huge amount of work to explain that ancestry).

One other disappointment: some genetic services, but not Ancestry, also investigate mitochondrial DNA, which is maternally transmitted, so you can get an indication of the specific maternal lineage.

Mate. Thanks for clarifying.

I had heard the thing about free settlers, but I was not aware that it was restricted to SA.

I think us Britishers struggle to comprehend how big Oz is and all the cultures (including native) and your bloody scary insects.

Would be really interested to have a NZ perspective on this. Peace and respect as always.
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:01 - Apr 22 with 2966 viewsHooparoo

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 02:30 - Apr 22 by eastside_r

I had heard the thing about free settlers, but I was not aware that it was restricted to SA.

I think us Britishers struggle to comprehend how big Oz is and all the cultures (including native) and your bloody scary insects.

Would be really interested to have a NZ perspective on this. Peace and respect as always.

My ancestor was a convict. Arrived on the HMS Exeter in 1831. Transported to the other side of the world for (allegedly) stealing a pair of trousers in Warwickshire. The bloke who lost the trousers was so incensed that they would send a 16 year old lad to the other side of the world for petty theft that he petitioned the NSW Governor for him to be pardoned so he could go back to the UK. He was later pardoned but said “No thanks” I’ll stay here. He had 13 children and I am his 7th generation descendant.

He built the first pub in Bega, southern NSW so I’ve been thinking I should go back and make a land claim. 🍺😎

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:11 - Apr 22 with 2958 viewseastside_r

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:01 - Apr 22 by Hooparoo

My ancestor was a convict. Arrived on the HMS Exeter in 1831. Transported to the other side of the world for (allegedly) stealing a pair of trousers in Warwickshire. The bloke who lost the trousers was so incensed that they would send a 16 year old lad to the other side of the world for petty theft that he petitioned the NSW Governor for him to be pardoned so he could go back to the UK. He was later pardoned but said “No thanks” I’ll stay here. He had 13 children and I am his 7th generation descendant.

He built the first pub in Bega, southern NSW so I’ve been thinking I should go back and make a land claim. 🍺😎

Good on you mate, that is a great story.

I think that was the point I was trying to make. Most transportees were convicted of ridiculous crimes, anything mildly serious back then they would have hanged you.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 3:21]
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:30 - Apr 22 with 2942 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:01 - Apr 22 by Hooparoo

Transported for a piddling crime (Perfidious Albion)...............Tick
Showed good character in a frontier society and pardoned....Tick
Preferred Oz to the Old Country..............................................Tick
Showed enterprise and 'had a go'............................................Tick
Owned a pub............................................................................Tick

I think that makes you dinky-di Aussie royalty. Good onya, Ya Madge!

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:32 - Apr 22 with 2936 viewsHooparoo

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:11 - Apr 22 by eastside_r

Good on you mate, that is a great story.

I think that was the point I was trying to make. Most transportees were convicted of ridiculous crimes, anything mildly serious back then they would have hanged you.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 3:21]

They were certainly tough people. No 5 star camping and insect repellent in those days. A lot of them did their time, got some free land and ended up being better off than they ever would have been in the UK. The British class system didn’t transplant to here and as a lot of the convicts were Irish, it was all done with a sense of humour and the promise of a new life.

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs (n/t) on 03:33 - Apr 22 with 2934 viewseastside_r

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:30 - Apr 22 by isawqpratwcity

Preferred Oz to the Old Country..............................................Tick
Showed enterprise and 'had a go'............................................Tick
Owned a pub............................................................................Tick

[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 3:39]
Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:45 - Apr 22 with 2920 viewsHooparoo

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:30 - Apr 22 by isawqpratwcity

🤴🍺

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 03:56 - Apr 22 with 2916 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 02:30 - Apr 22 by eastside_r

Unfortunately we can't all have great antipodean pedigree like Hooparoo.

I'd love to hear from NZ, too. Does Ancestry do a Maori genotype?

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 08:41 - Apr 22 with 2833 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 02:07 - Apr 22 by isawqpratwcity

Brian, give up this faux outrage. You told us where you were born. Just saying 'tings' and 'fillum' ain't fooling anybody.

"... you are an Englishman, and have subsequently drawn the greatest prize in the lottery of life." [Cecil Rhodes]

Your DNA will probably show an Irish connection that starts with Oliver Cromwell. (I may have gone too far with that one. )

As long as there's no Kerry blood in me, I'll be happy!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 08:56 - Apr 22 with 2818 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Ancestry DNA Non R's obs on 12:28 - Apr 21 by Dorse

Reminds me of an old joke...

Two blokes having a drink in a pub, one of them has a dog.

The dog is doing what dogs do, licking his b*lls.

The dog owner’s mate says wistfully, “I wish I could do that...”

His mate replies, “If you get him a packet of crisps, he’ll probably let you.”
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024