Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time wasting - New law coming.... 10:24 - Nov 26 with 4085 viewsPinnerPaul

that might help …..a bit

Likely that subs will be allowed to exit from any boundary line from next season, so that might stop one timewasting tactic at least.

Other changes - ball does not have to leave area from gk/fk before being touched by another player (of same side)

Also IFAB looking at drop ball if the ball hits the ref and disadvantages one side and also changing the handball law so if an obvious advantage gained, if even accidental, then handball would be penalised.
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 11:49 - Nov 26 with 3100 viewssmegma

IFAB ??
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 12:08 - Nov 26 with 3069 viewsenfieldargh

Likely that subs will be allowed to exit from any boundary line from next season, so that might stop one timewasting tactic at least.

Its should be they have to exit the pitch to the closest touchline otherwise a pointless rule change. If they booked the player for not leaving the pitch at the nearest boundary line(within reason) then it would make life fun if they had already received a booking - Red card.

Preston would end up the 8 players every game

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 12:15 - Nov 26 with 3046 viewsQPR_John

Surely allowing the keeper to kick from either side of the goal regardless of where it went out would be an easy rule to change back.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 12:16]
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 12:46 - Nov 26 with 2973 viewsTonto

seems like a recipe for disaster as usual:

the goal kick rule should be changed to state that a player goalkeeper) cannot walk from one side to the other with the ball. he has to take it from the side h gets the ball back. It should also state that a keeper cannot just stand on the far side waiting for it - he has to actively seek to retrieve the ball otherwise its a yellow card.

similarly unless the subs rule has a similar caveat -player has to leave by the closest possible route, I can see Preston players jogging on the spot whilst pretending to walk from one end to the other, thus using up 10 minutes

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:12 - Nov 26 with 2905 viewsMatch82

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 12:46 - Nov 26 by Tonto

the goal kick rule should be changed to state that a player goalkeeper) cannot walk from one side to the other with the ball. he has to take it from the side h gets the ball back. It should also state that a keeper cannot just stand on the far side waiting for it - he has to actively seek to retrieve the ball otherwise its a yellow card.

similarly unless the subs rule has a similar caveat -player has to leave by the closest possible route, I can see Preston players jogging on the spot whilst pretending to walk from one end to the other, thus using up 10 minutes

Yeah it's exactly the same thinking as the goal kick rule: designed to speed the game up by increasing flexibility. But with the same downside, without considering how a team might take advantage of this.

Perhaps it will be tweaked to say the player should go to the bench to be substituted unless there is a quicker route off the pitch. Otherwise the idea of a player next to the bench leaving the field by walking to the opposite corner flag is going to make some people really mad...
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:25 - Nov 26 with 2878 viewsHayesender

Just have a time keeper. Every time the game stops for whatever reason, stop the clock. As soon as the time gets to 90 minutes that's it, game over.

Can't believe any other sports haven't thought of this miraculous idea

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:37 - Nov 26 with 2849 viewsPinnerPaul

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 11:49 - Nov 26 by smegma

IFAB ??

International Football Association Board
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:39 - Nov 26 with 2842 viewsRog

So why is a yellow card for the goalkeeper for time wasting one of the very few times where the offence is not punished with a free kick? A yellow card for the keeper in the last 10 minutes is no punishment, the ref will not give another and there's no "reward" for the other team.

Award a free kick - 5 yards in from the touchline parallel to the point of the offence. That'll put a stop to the nonsense.
Login to get fewer ads

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:39 - Nov 26 with 2840 viewsPinnerPaul

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 12:46 - Nov 26 by Tonto

Apologies - my lazy journalism!

Subs will HAVE to leave the fop by the 'nearest boundary line'
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:43 - Nov 26 with 2833 viewsPinnerPaul

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:39 - Nov 26 by Rog

So why is a yellow card for the goalkeeper for time wasting one of the very few times where the offence is not punished with a free kick? A yellow card for the keeper in the last 10 minutes is no punishment, the ref will not give another and there's no "reward" for the other team.

Award a free kick - 5 yards in from the touchline parallel to the point of the offence. That'll put a stop to the nonsense.

because its usually when they are f****** about taking a goal kick - so the ball is out of play.

Whatever happens when the ball is out of play, the restart is always what it would have been before anything that happens before the ball is back in play again.
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 14:12 - Nov 26 with 2765 viewsMoonshineSteve

Time wasting not an actual offence. Bookings are for ungentlemanly conduct.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 14:51 - Nov 26 with 2694 viewsAntti_Heinola

drop ball for hitting the ref is mental. as is the unintentional handball one.
leave it the fk alone.

Bare bones.

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 16:37 - Nov 26 with 2598 viewsJuzzie

".....subs will be allowed to exit from any boundary line...."

IMO should be "subs must exit from the nearest boundary line".

As said, this'll just otherwise allow a player standing near X block to walk all the way down to the corner flag by R Block (though they'd be stupid to do that!)

edit: sorry, just seen the amendment above to this effect.

And yes, the goal kick rule should be brought back that you take it from the side it went out. Never understood the rule change otherwise why not take a corner from whichever side you prefer as well?

[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 16:44]
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 17:32 - Nov 26 with 2529 viewsbob566

I'd ban short corners. The ball has to travel at least 15 yards. This down in the corner winding the clock down shielding the ball in a bad tempered match where you're one down and you see how you get the losing team end up having somebody sent off. That would drive me mad.

I'd also bring in a shot clock on free kicks. As soon as the ref blows his whistle you've ten seconds to kick the ball.

Lots of good points on the keepers. They are the biggest offenders.

As bad as it is who can forget the old days of grobbelaar rolling it to Hansen and him rolling it back. I pick on them because they were the most successful side and did it the most because they were always in a scenario to do it.
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 17:38 - Nov 26 with 2524 viewsloftboy

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 17:32 - Nov 26 by bob566

I'd ban short corners. The ball has to travel at least 15 yards. This down in the corner winding the clock down shielding the ball in a bad tempered match where you're one down and you see how you get the losing team end up having somebody sent off. That would drive me mad.

I'd also bring in a shot clock on free kicks. As soon as the ref blows his whistle you've ten seconds to kick the ball.

Lots of good points on the keepers. They are the biggest offenders.

As bad as it is who can forget the old days of grobbelaar rolling it to Hansen and him rolling it back. I pick on them because they were the most successful side and did it the most because they were always in a scenario to do it.

Better example was Seaman and Fenwick away at Millwall in the league cup circa 1987, 2-1 up from the first leg those two played keep ball from 15 minutes onwards, the natives were very restless and I don’t know how we got out the old Den that day alive.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 17:43 - Nov 26 with 2515 viewsPinnerPaul

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 14:12 - Nov 26 by MoonshineSteve

Time wasting not an actual offence. Bookings are for ungentlemanly conduct.

Ungentlemanly conduct disappeared from LOTG a long time ago.

The offence is actually called Delaying the restart of play.
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 17:58 - Nov 26 with 2489 viewsJuzzie

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 17:38 - Nov 26 by loftboy

Better example was Seaman and Fenwick away at Millwall in the league cup circa 1987, 2-1 up from the first leg those two played keep ball from 15 minutes onwards, the natives were very restless and I don’t know how we got out the old Den that day alive.

I remember that! I lived in Lewisham at the time and the local press absolutely slated us.

What they didn't pick up on was why it took Millwall until the 80th minute to suss out that if they put a player right on our defenders then Seaman had to boot it upfield. Once that happened then we had a game on for those last 10 mins.
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 18:12 - Nov 26 with 2470 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:25 - Nov 26 by Hayesender

Just have a time keeper. Every time the game stops for whatever reason, stop the clock. As soon as the time gets to 90 minutes that's it, game over.

Time keeper is a tough situation. Not only does it mean games could vary from 90-150 minutes, it also means could games be played at the same time? Let's say two teams are fighting for relegation, and one finishes in 60 mins, whilst the other has just kicked off after half-time. Does it give people an advantage? Could mass changing times affect people's jobs/plans. Football goes out of play much more frequent and differently to other sports, so it's hard to compare
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 18:13]

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 19:25 - Nov 26 with 2394 viewsterryb

I think they are taking the easy option with the goal kicks.

My preference would be that a free kick is awarded if a player enters the area to play the ball.

Out of interest, will opponents be allowed in the penalty area providing they are ten yards away from the ball?
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 01:59 - Nov 27 with 2257 viewsHoopsie

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 13:25 - Nov 26 by Hayesender

NBA?

If you are prepared to sit through 2-3 hours more.

The actual game play in 90 minutes of a football match is less than 60 minutes. So 30 minutes or so are wasterd through
- goal celebrations
- substitutions
- getting the ball back in play with throw in, free kicks, goal kicks, corner kicks
- injuries, mostly faked
- arguing with referees

However time wasting tactics like running down the clock by dragging the ball to the opponent corner flag or ball keeping such as passing between is not time wasting because the ball is still in play so you can’t do anything unless a new rule states that you need to bring the ball into the opponent half in a specific time or you need to shoot at your opponent goal in a specific time, which is happening in other sports like basketball (shot clock) but I can’t see it happening

Poll: Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy?

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 10:28 - Nov 27 with 2118 viewsMoonshineSteve

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 17:43 - Nov 26 by PinnerPaul

Ungentlemanly conduct disappeared from LOTG a long time ago.

The offence is actually called Delaying the restart of play.

Unsporting behaviour then.

(Over 35 years since I took my refereeing badge.)

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 15:37 - Nov 27 with 1980 viewsPinnerPaul

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 19:25 - Nov 26 by terryb

I think they are taking the easy option with the goal kicks.

My preference would be that a free kick is awarded if a player enters the area to play the ball.

Out of interest, will opponents be allowed in the penalty area providing they are ten yards away from the ball?

No, that remains unchanged, I think.

They would be able to enter the penalty area once the gk/free kick is played.
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 15:42 - Nov 27 with 1972 viewsPinnerPaul

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 10:28 - Nov 27 by MoonshineSteve

Unsporting behaviour then.

(Over 35 years since I took my refereeing badge.)

Its not even that Steve

There are 7 yellow card offences - in no particular order

1) Entering fop without permission
2) Leaving fop without permission
3) Delaying the restart of play
4) Not retreating required distance at free kick
5) Dissent
6) Persistently infringing LOTG
7) Unsporting behaviour which includes reckless fouls, breaking up a promising attack by foul or deliberate handball, adopting an aggressive attitude, simulation

So a caution for time wasting is reported as 'Delaying the restart of play'

For info its far easier now - no report writing, you just report the relevant code - no appeals either!
Time wasting - New law coming.... on 16:07 - Nov 27 with 1950 viewskensalriser

Bit similar to politics in that people are always calling for more draconian laws when all that's needed is adequate enforcement of the existing, and in the case of time wasting, a little guidance to referees from the FA.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Time wasting - New law coming.... on 20:59 - Nov 27 with 1796 viewsrrrspricey

Substitute lawbis simple. Decision to substitute made board goes up indicating who's going off and they have 30 seconds to make the change.

No need to stop the clock and watch players trudge off like an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024