Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drums next door 23:07 - Dec 28 with 7671 viewsdolcelatte

Just canvassing opinion.

16 year old next door plays drums. It was all tolerable when husband lived there but he left home about a year ago. Had to get him involved when it was going on into the night and the kids mum wouldn't accept any critiscm or accept it was being played too late. Once he was involved it stopped.

Now over the last week we have drums at 10pm last Saturday and 9.30 twice during the week, keeping my 8 year old awake and apart from sounding sh1te it means you can't properly relax.

Understand he needs to practise etc but feel that beyond 9pm is taking the p1ss a bit..

Anyone experienced anything similar and have any constructive resolutions (of a nin violent nature) ?

Going round there again tomorrow and already know what her reaction will be to protect precious son. The ex husband is a local counsellor and a lib Democrat candidate in the elections. Not sure that affects anything other than him not wanting any publicity...

Any suggestions appreciated.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Drums next door on 23:21 - Dec 28 with 6242 viewsBoston

Yeah, grew up with a drummer in the next door attic. Stopped when his fingers got broken.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 23:22]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Drums next door on 23:25 - Dec 28 with 6231 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Have a chat, including the affect on your 8 yo.

Otherwise go through this route.

https://www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council

I used to live on the Grampians on Shepherds Bush road. Guy below put a noise complaint to the council about me even though I was round my girlfriend's on the night in question. Turns out it wasn't me making the noise it was next door he was hearing (who I never heard a peep from). Caused me a load of agro but the council seemed pretty responsive to his complaints. This was pre austerity mind.

Good luck.
Drums next door on 23:28 - Dec 28 with 6211 viewsBluce_Ree

It's close to being unacceptable. 9.30 during the week when you've got an 8 year old is a bit much. Depends on the layout though. Is your kid's room next to the drum room on a terraced set up?

Not much you can do unless you want to respond in kind. You can't really get worse than a drum kit though.

We've got an odd one. Our neighbours two doors down have a very autistic boy. He's about five-ish and he stands at the master bedroom window and bangs on it all day. It doesn't really affect us at all but I imagine next door might have an issue with it. But the parents have bigger fish to fry and I feel for them - we've got a good relationship with them, I bake brownies for them quite often.

It starts at 7am though so I feel for number 67 for being next to it. If we were next to them, it'd be a problem for sure. Like a 'we have to say something or move' type of problem.

At times it does seem a little out of order to let the kid do that as much as he does, but what can you do? It's a rough situation for them. But it doesn't bother me as much as when 71's kids wouldn't shut up for the first few years of their lives.

Those c*nts have a dog now but as yappy as it is, they tend to keep it in the kitchen so we rarely hear it. And dogs bark. A bit like the situation with the kid and the window. It's not malicious.

A kid playing drums at night is a dick move though I guess.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Drums next door on 23:33 - Dec 28 with 6191 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Knowing the Lib Dems, the father probably isn't far from a scandal with a underage rent boy or drugs anyway and they'll want to keep a low profile and the drumming to a minimum.

Sorry Karl!
Drums next door on 23:43 - Dec 28 with 6162 viewsBklynRanger

Sorry I don't have any concrete advice other than to agree that it's totally unacceptable. If the doting mother wanted the kid to be able to play drums late into the evening she should have got those electronic ones that you can wear headphones with. I've a drummer friend who has those and he loves them. Assuming that they're not prepared to do that I would say anything after 8pm is 100% out of order.
Drums next door on 00:57 - Dec 29 with 6068 viewsJuzzie

Having lived with my brother who’s a drummer it did our head in! However, the law states no noise between 11pm and 7am and if it’s within those hours I’m not sure what can be done other that mitigating circumstances such as doing shift work etc.
Drums next door on 01:03 - Dec 29 with 6064 viewsPunteR

Buy yourself a drum kit and play till 11.

We had a young single mum move in two doors down . Literally the first day she moved in she blasted her music all day long. She had her mates round in the evening and carried on till two. It was midweek. We gave her the benefit of doubt and let her carry on as she was obviously just excited to get her new place.
About a week later i come in from work and my missus told me she was blasting the music out again all day again with the back door open as she had been most days. Rather then be that that moaning neighbor i decided to just crank up my sound system to the max and completely drown her out. First she shut the doors and windows and then after about 10 min she turns her music right down. She's a bit more thoughtful these days. She still plays her music obviously and why shouldn't she? but she keeps the door shut if she wants to crank it up a bit and keeps it at better hours of the day.
I'm not that annoying neighbor that plays music all hours before you ask. I very rarely play out loud. My missus wont let me. lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Drums next door on 01:18 - Dec 29 with 6049 viewsJuzzie

Drums next door on 01:03 - Dec 29 by PunteR

Buy yourself a drum kit and play till 11.

We had a young single mum move in two doors down . Literally the first day she moved in she blasted her music all day long. She had her mates round in the evening and carried on till two. It was midweek. We gave her the benefit of doubt and let her carry on as she was obviously just excited to get her new place.
About a week later i come in from work and my missus told me she was blasting the music out again all day again with the back door open as she had been most days. Rather then be that that moaning neighbor i decided to just crank up my sound system to the max and completely drown her out. First she shut the doors and windows and then after about 10 min she turns her music right down. She's a bit more thoughtful these days. She still plays her music obviously and why shouldn't she? but she keeps the door shut if she wants to crank it up a bit and keeps it at better hours of the day.
I'm not that annoying neighbor that plays music all hours before you ask. I very rarely play out loud. My missus wont let me. lol

We have a neighbour you don’t hear a squeak from all year until suddenly its summer then they think everyone wants to listen to their sh*t music all weekend. (Same with cun*y car drivers).

One weekend I stood in the garden and shouted as loud as i could “shut the fuk up!”. Amazing that it does actually work sometimes.
Login to get fewer ads

Drums next door on 04:30 - Dec 29 with 5963 viewsessextaxiboy

Could you record the noise with a date and time ? Ask her to.listen to it , maybe the boy as well . If they ignore it escalate it first to the dad , in person so he can hear the recording and then to the council noise abatement route i again in person with the recording and proof how you have given her / them the chance to fix it ..
[Post edited 29 Dec 2018 4:32]
Drums next door on 08:09 - Dec 29 with 5857 viewsBlackCrowe

Suggest that the parents sell the drum kit and buy an electronic kit (which are brilliant btw and can pick up an entry level 2nd hand one for the same probably) and he can play noiselessly through headphones.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Drums next door on 08:36 - Dec 29 with 5803 viewsWesty75

Unnacceptable. Have experienced similar and know the psychological impact it can have. Have another polite word (or perhaps a tactfully worded letter in the first instance explains the impact if you think a conversation won’t go well - and keep a copy as evidence). Also would recommend keeping a diary and audio recordings that you can use as evidence with the council of necessary.

If the unpredictability is part of the issue ie you’re stressed all the time because you don’t know when it’s going to start then you could try to come to some sort of agreement about specific times for practice that has the least impact on you.

Finally also worth speaking to neighbours the other side (if you’re in a terrace) and building a bit of support if they find it an issue as well. Better that you don’t feel on your own and means they can’t just paint you as the “unreasonable neighbour”.

Good luck.
Drums next door on 08:38 - Dec 29 with 5797 viewsSimplyNico

Hi

I'm new on the board (long term follower of it) and looking generally prior to the Reading game.

A couple of points. First, noise of this type can amount in law to what is called a nuisance (which, bizarrely for the law, actually means what it says); it is essentially what would be an otherwise lawful use of land but which becomes unreasonable to the occupier of neighbouring land. Residential property has a reasonable expectation of quiet enjoyment (reasonableness depending on the area) and reasonable playing of drums would probably be okay until you 9pm onward.

As Bazza has said, noise nuisances can be enforced through the local authority (rather than doing it yourself through the courts, although you may well have legal expenses insurance on a household contents policy that would cover you for that).

Second, before going down that path, you might want to have a chat with the kid''s mother. If you own your property and you enforce through the local authority/court, what you will then have is a record of a neighbour dispute which would have to be disclosed if you come to sell the property - these disputes puts people off buying. A quiet word often works wonders.

Cheers
Drums next door on 08:40 - Dec 29 with 5792 viewsPlanetHonneywood

If you’re in an apartment block, then your lease will invariably have a nuisance/right of quiet enjoyment covenant between all leaseholders. I had right noisy bastards in the flat below me years back; signed up the other four leaseholders and started proceedings seeking huge damages. Soon got the fockers out!!

If it’s a house, then see what Bazza said above. Councils have generally been quick to respond. But as he says, that’s pre-austerity days.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Drums next door on 08:45 - Dec 29 with 5780 viewsnix

My next door neighbour's son took up the drums when my children were small. The difference was, she was prepared to come to an agreement about days and times he would practice. Because I knew it would finish by 7-30pm it never bothered me in the slightest. But if I'd thought it could kick off at any time, it would've driven me mad. Not only the noise but the inconsideration of it.

I'd try to reach an agreement but if this doesn't work, definitely start making recordings of days and times. Remind her that she can finds and an abatement notice against her. Good luck!
Drums next door on 09:19 - Dec 29 with 5739 viewsSilverfoxqpr

I'm a drummer. I wouldn't dream of playing my acoustic kit late into the night. Anyway when I'm not using my electronic kit I have rubber practice pads on the acoustic one. Surely this is the most practice and affordable solution? Can this not be put forward as an option? Failing that contact the father I guess and ask him to step in.
Drums next door on 09:43 - Dec 29 with 5714 viewsKonk

Some great advice on this thread and you have my sympathies - we had a bloke living in the flat above us who would come home every night between 23:30 - 01:00 and invariably then put his music on in his bedroom, which was right above our bedroom. Even when he didn't put his music on, we would lie there expecting it to start. Got to the point where we didn't want to be at home. I spoke with him and his response was basically, tough shi t, I'm allowed to listen to music when I get home. The soundproofing was non-existent, I had him come downstairs and listen to how loud it was in our flat, and again, he said it wasn't his problem because it wasn't that loud. I offered to buy him some quality headphones, he wasn't interested. Thankfully he eventually moved out, but it was so stressful.

I guess you've already explained the effect it's having on your son and the rest of your family, in which case, I would have expecting a reasonable person to arrive at a compromise out of pure consideration/embarrassment. The idea of trying to negotiate agreed hours seems perfectly fair to me, and I reckon any time after 9pm is a complete pi ss-take if you're in a terrace/semi-detached set-up. If that doesn't work, I would talk to the kid directly, then the Dad again, and only go to the Council as a last resort. As someone else has said, you have to declare issues with neighbours when selling, and one of my mates had a nightmare trying to sell their beautiful home, because they had three years of regular complaints logged against their ars ehole neighbour.

Good luck with it all - maybe even offer to make a contribution if they were going to invest in an electronic kit?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Drums next door on 10:05 - Dec 29 with 5668 viewsisawqpratwcity

How good is he?

I've had a couple of would-be drummers trying their luck within earshot, but luckily both were so bad they got fed up and quit within weeks.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Drums next door on 13:01 - Dec 29 with 5516 viewskensalriser

Kid needs to get a rehearsal room, otherwise he needs an ASBO.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Drums next door on 13:24 - Dec 29 with 5486 viewsstevestrange

To avoid having a big bust up, you could ask the kid, to put a small blanket in the bass drum, to cover the rest of the drum kit with some cotton fabric and play with brushes(type of drum stick which make no noise at all). That should be enough to dampen the noise.
Drums next door on 14:39 - Dec 29 with 5411 viewsDorse

I have an electronic kit and it's fine but he could get a set of Softapads (covers a five piece kit) for about £35, and the same again for cymbals (covers 2 crash and 1 ride) for about the same. Don't bother with the bass drum - just stuff with a duvet. These dampeners will cut the noise by about 80%. If they fit bass traps to the corners of the room (about £30 a pair - can mount them with carpet tile spray) - this can also help. Acoustic tiling is cheaper than ever (melamine foam slab is outstanding for sound absorption).

The fact that they don't already do this and the complete ignorance of its impact on others just shows a lack of consideration on their part. Dickheads.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Drums next door on 16:01 - Dec 29 with 5347 viewstimcocking

I always loved to play the drums, but rarely could, because they are so bloody noisy. I always just realised it'd p!ss off everybody living nearby, so i was a good boy. He must be a selfish little git, because if he is playing them next door, it might as well be in your kitchen. Intolerable for any living soul apart from the drummer. I'd consider shooting them.
Drums next door on 18:02 - Dec 29 with 5292 viewsBluce_Ree

How damaging would, say, a fire be to your property if one was to start in theirs?

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Drums next door on 18:06 - Dec 29 with 5284 viewsBlackCrowe

Few drummers here on LFW - nice to see. Me too - but have migrated from kit to conga - my pair of Meinls are pure joy.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Drums next door on 23:03 - Jan 9 with 4929 viewsdolcelatte

Drum update. It has all been relatively quiet until tonight.. mum was out so Junior started at 8.55 PM. Woke my son up so I go round there and proceeded to ring on the doorbell/ bang on the window. He couldn't hear me... after 10 mins he stops so I ring the doorbell and see him run in the kitchen and hide.. messaged father who says he whi have a word..

At 10.45 he starts again albeit a bit quiter. Just back from tearing a strip into him verbally... aghhhhhhhh!

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Drums next door on 11:26 - Jan 10 with 4672 viewsA40Bosh

Drums next door on 23:03 - Jan 9 by dolcelatte

Drum update. It has all been relatively quiet until tonight.. mum was out so Junior started at 8.55 PM. Woke my son up so I go round there and proceeded to ring on the doorbell/ bang on the window. He couldn't hear me... after 10 mins he stops so I ring the doorbell and see him run in the kitchen and hide.. messaged father who says he whi have a word..

At 10.45 he starts again albeit a bit quiter. Just back from tearing a strip into him verbally... aghhhhhhhh!

"messaged father who says he whi have a word.. "

And herein lies the problem. Dad will "have a word" but it starts again at 10:45pm?

We grew up with a family band so our poor neighbours had to contend with drums, bass and guitar as well as the old man singing sometimes through his SM58. To an extent we were spoiled as dad was a builder and when we got an extension he put a lot of soundproofing in - which my neighbour told my dad was a great idea, but would work even better if we closed the bedroom windows too!

BUT

Even with the soundproofing we were never allowed to play after 9pm, FULLSTOP no arguments whilst we were still living at home no matter how old we were.

Ironically our poor next door neighbour was sat in the middle of 2 houses who both had drummers in residence!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024