Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Back to basics ! 04:04 - Mar 5 with 1963 viewsPerth_R

I have noticed Steve likes the term need to get back to basics. We have 11 games left and we still need to get back to basics, not sure if it is just me but when talking about professional footballers and the money they are on I expect a bit more than basics. How about saying something like we need to find a winning mentality.
Back to basics ! on 06:24 - Mar 5 with 1925 viewsPey

"Back to the basics" term is used quite common by many managers in the media and has no other meaning then protecting players fragile confidence after a bashing.

Translated for players it comes down to " You all played shit, i am pissed off and you better get your act together or...... "
Well something like that.
Back to basics ! on 07:44 - Mar 5 with 1849 viewskingo

I would imagine that he feels he can eventually get to work on things on the training pitch after playing 9 games in 28 days and no real opportunity to do anything other than try to prepare for the next match. We looked jaded against Brentford, especially Freeman. The schedule, the injuries to key players and the lack of opportunity to recruit looked to have had its effect. End of last year with a fit squad and a more foregiving fixture list we did well and looked like a team with a game plan. Recently we looked like a team who were fire fighting, mainly because we were. Hopefully now things might improve with no midweek match and Cameron on his way back.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 7:46]

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Back to basics ! on 09:04 - Mar 5 with 1777 viewsjonno

Back to basics ! on 07:44 - Mar 5 by kingo

I would imagine that he feels he can eventually get to work on things on the training pitch after playing 9 games in 28 days and no real opportunity to do anything other than try to prepare for the next match. We looked jaded against Brentford, especially Freeman. The schedule, the injuries to key players and the lack of opportunity to recruit looked to have had its effect. End of last year with a fit squad and a more foregiving fixture list we did well and looked like a team with a game plan. Recently we looked like a team who were fire fighting, mainly because we were. Hopefully now things might improve with no midweek match and Cameron on his way back.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 7:46]

Other teams appear to manage it.
Back to basics ! on 09:19 - Mar 5 with 1758 viewsLongsufferingR

Back to basics ! on 09:04 - Mar 5 by jonno

...and even more don't
Back to basics ! on 11:32 - Mar 5 with 1696 viewskingo

Back to basics ! on 09:04 - Mar 5 by jonno

Leeds had only played 5 to our 8 last Tuesday

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Back to basics ! on 12:11 - Mar 5 with 1663 viewsTacticalR

Back to basics ! on 06:24 - Mar 5 by Pey

"Back to the basics" term is used quite common by many managers in the media and has no other meaning then protecting players fragile confidence after a bashing.

Translated for players it comes down to " You all played shit, i am pissed off and you better get your act together or...... "
Well something like that.

'Back to basics' means 'Back to basics'. Such insight can take you to the highest office in the country.

Air hostess clique

Back to basics ! on 12:14 - Mar 5 with 1655 viewsrsonist

I would be very concerned indeed if my manager was coming out with something as vague as "we need to find a winning mentality".
Back to basics ! on 12:15 - Mar 5 with 1652 viewsFDC

I'm with Steve. It's about time this squad had some traditional family values drilled in to them. Or taken clubbing in Leeds, whatever.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 12:15]
Login to get fewer ads

Back to basics ! on 12:24 - Mar 5 with 1600 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sound bites
Yawn

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Back to basics ! on 13:12 - Mar 5 with 1575 viewsDavieQPR

Would imagine he means GK needs to make saves.defenders to defend and attackers to attack.
Back to basics ! on 13:21 - Mar 5 with 1551 viewsToast_R

Back to basics ! on 13:12 - Mar 5 by DavieQPR

Would imagine he means GK needs to make saves.defenders to defend and attackers to attack.

How does all that end up getting lost though? I guess it has, switching to wing backs, playing out from the back, false 9's, one up top, No 10 roles, high press all that bollocks.

Against Stoke shall we just play 4-4 f*cking 2?
Back to basics ! on 13:23 - Mar 5 with 1551 viewssmegma

Back to basics ! on 13:12 - Mar 5 by DavieQPR

Or attackers to score. Or even have a decent shot on target.
Back to basics ! on 13:45 - Mar 5 with 1505 viewsMatch82

Agree this is often just trotted out there as a random phrase. But if he means it then the principle makes sense. The most successful teams do their jobs first and foremost and layer on top of that more creative elements - whether thats interchanging positions, more complex tactics etc. Teams low on confidence like ours, makes sense to say "don't worry about that other stuff for now" focus on this one thing.

Very similar to the Warnock style of management. Remember when he told a centre back (Gorkss?) "just win every header in both boxes"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024