Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. 20:55 - Sep 23 with 3085 viewsBeckenhamhoop

‪
My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 21:01 - Sep 23 with 3057 viewsDannyPaddox

Fantastic 👍🏼
My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 21:49 - Sep 23 with 2946 viewspaulparker

We only found out my grandad had a brother about 6 years ago he died in Arnhem at the age of 20 the pain was to much for anyone to talk about or acknowledge until he went in to a home and we found pictures and letters about him
The Dutch have great respect for us as we fought to the last we held on for 9 days , what the people of Arnhem do imo is fantastic,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 22:36 - Sep 23 with 2866 viewssmegma

When we played PSV and Groningen 3 years ago we stayed in Arnhem. The PSV game that never was, or we weren't allowed to watch (despite having tickets) was due to be played in Driel, a village just outside Arnhem. That morning I visited Driels ground to take some photos. I was greeted by a load of ground staff who apologised for the Dutch police in banning QPR fans from attending the game. They were getting prepared for a Vitesse v Oostende friendly the next day. Then I went to the pub to meet up with fellow Rs to watch the PSV on line via screens in the pub. The next day we visited the Arnhem war graves and museum which was really humbling and very sad.
Then we revisited Driel for the Vitesse game. Not one Driel or Vitesse fan allowed us to buy a drink. At one point the Driel priest bought us beers then lectured us on the dangers of the demon drink !!!
At the end of the game, a Driel steward said there was a Vitesse fan who demanded to meet us in the clubhouse. The steward said ' I must warn you, he is Vitesse' most famous hooligan fan'. Dennis was his name. Six foot, bald head , 18 stone and dressed head to toe in black . On his shirt was the word Vitesse in gothic style wording like a Motörhead tee shirt. He had neo Nazi written all over him. He asked 'are you the QPR fan I heard about?'. When I nodded d he shouted ' I love the Springbok pub, every time I come to see QPR I am made so welcoming me in your pub'.....surreal or what ?? Him and his mates proceeded to get me and my mate royally w@nkered. Dennis explained to me that every year Vitesse are allowed to play a home game as near to the anniversary as can be. He also told me that all British people get free entry into the game. This game was obviously the anniversary game. The respect shown to us in Arnhem that weekend was amazing. Btw the Driel FC badge incorporates a paratrooper dropping from a parachute.
If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend visiting the war graves and museum and take in a Vitesse or Driel game. One of the best QPR away trips I've ever done.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 22:39]
My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 07:30 - Sep 24 with 2611 viewscpgerber

Yep, we commemorate the war every year and the veterans are honored at a major event with the king. When I say "we", I mean my adopted nation of The Netherlands, taking into account I am born and raised in South Africa.

Some punks spray painted over WWII graves or monuments last week, people were outraged.

Have said it here before ... RAF museum in London and in particular the WWII hangars was the single most impressive "tourist attraction" I have ever been to. Sitting in a Spitfire and doing the Dambuster VR experience, immensely emotional experiences.

Vitesse is a cool club to support. We have friends who live close to Arnhem and frequently go to their games.
My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 08:27 - Sep 24 with 2559 viewsKonk

I go and watch Vitesse's rivals, NEC, every year as I have mates from Nijmegen, and Vitesse have links with Chelsea, so I'm not supposed to like them, but that is really class. My Great-Uncle died during Operation Market Garden and is buried at the cemetery in Oosterbeek.

The first time I went to visit my Dutch mates was on Liberation Day, and me and the other English lads spent the whole day getting bought drinks by complete strangers, thanking us for Britain's role in the liberation of the Netherlands. Obviously it had absolutely fu ck-all to do with us, but we took the beers anyway. It was nice to know that even though my Nan's brother and thousands of others had ultimately died in vain, the sacrifice of the Allied troops was remembered and honoured, sixty-odd years later.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 09:21 - Sep 24 with 2468 viewsHayesender

My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 22:36 - Sep 23 by smegma

When we played PSV and Groningen 3 years ago we stayed in Arnhem. The PSV game that never was, or we weren't allowed to watch (despite having tickets) was due to be played in Driel, a village just outside Arnhem. That morning I visited Driels ground to take some photos. I was greeted by a load of ground staff who apologised for the Dutch police in banning QPR fans from attending the game. They were getting prepared for a Vitesse v Oostende friendly the next day. Then I went to the pub to meet up with fellow Rs to watch the PSV on line via screens in the pub. The next day we visited the Arnhem war graves and museum which was really humbling and very sad.
Then we revisited Driel for the Vitesse game. Not one Driel or Vitesse fan allowed us to buy a drink. At one point the Driel priest bought us beers then lectured us on the dangers of the demon drink !!!
At the end of the game, a Driel steward said there was a Vitesse fan who demanded to meet us in the clubhouse. The steward said ' I must warn you, he is Vitesse' most famous hooligan fan'. Dennis was his name. Six foot, bald head , 18 stone and dressed head to toe in black . On his shirt was the word Vitesse in gothic style wording like a Motörhead tee shirt. He had neo Nazi written all over him. He asked 'are you the QPR fan I heard about?'. When I nodded d he shouted ' I love the Springbok pub, every time I come to see QPR I am made so welcoming me in your pub'.....surreal or what ?? Him and his mates proceeded to get me and my mate royally w@nkered. Dennis explained to me that every year Vitesse are allowed to play a home game as near to the anniversary as can be. He also told me that all British people get free entry into the game. This game was obviously the anniversary game. The respect shown to us in Arnhem that weekend was amazing. Btw the Driel FC badge incorporates a paratrooper dropping from a parachute.
If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend visiting the war graves and museum and take in a Vitesse or Driel game. One of the best QPR away trips I've ever done.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 22:39]

Talking of getting royally w©nkered at the hands of the Dutch, met a few Feyonord fans at a QPR game a few years ago, and they literally wouldn't let us put our hands in our pockets all day.

They kept saying, "We musht shpend our poundhs". It must be a Dutch thing

Poll: Shamima Beghum

My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 10:07 - Sep 24 with 2383 viewsTacticalR

I can't really compete with Smegma's story but here is my tale of Dutch hospitality during a visit to Arnhem for work:
PSV and Groningen by TacticalR 28 May 2016 15:26
In 2002 at the time of the World Cup I went over to Arnhem to do a software installation at a large Dutch energy company.

I think it was the second day I was working there and at the risk of appearing unprofessional I asked the guys I was working with if we could start a bit later so that I could watch one of the matches, which were being shown in the early morning (it might have been the England-Brazil game).

One of the guys said, no problem, come round to my house in the morning and we will watch it together! He had a very nice modern suburban house in Arnhem.

Very clued up about the important things are the Dutch.

Arnhem is pretty small, just a few main shopping streets as far I can recall.

Air hostess clique

My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 10:40 - Sep 24 with 2312 viewssmegma

My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 09:21 - Sep 24 by Hayesender

Talking of getting royally w©nkered at the hands of the Dutch, met a few Feyonord fans at a QPR game a few years ago, and they literally wouldn't let us put our hands in our pockets all day.

They kept saying, "We musht shpend our poundhs". It must be a Dutch thing

Was you with Shhhteve McLaren ?? Anshhhers on a poshhhcard.
Login to get fewer ads

My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 10:43 - Sep 24 with 2307 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I watched this yesterday from last week.

When Anthony Hopkins (Colonel Frost) runs across the road, the real Frost who was present said 'you ran too quickly' and explained why he was slower.

He also refused to have Hopkins say a line someone else said 'as people would think I'm making more of me than I was' Top man

Fair play to Dickie for trying to portray it as it was.

Something for luncheon

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 15:32 - Sep 24 with 2154 viewsToast_R

Operation Market Garden - another f@ck up by our so called Elite.
My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 21:45 - Sep 24 with 1988 viewsstowmarketrange

I’m sure my dad went to Arnhem in Sept 1944 with the Irish Guards who were sent there to back up operation market garden.He was 18 in April 44 and would’ve joined up straight away.
I’m almost certain he had an Arnhem tattoo on one arm and a Hamburg tattoo on the other.I wish I would’ve asked him about it when he was alive,but it’s 25 years too late now.

His brother was killed in February 1944 at Anzio and was buried in Naples cemetery.My brother and me went to visit his grave exactly 70 years to the day he died.It was a journey my dad always wanted to make but didn’t get around to doing.
Make sure you ask your parents the questions about their past life because you never know when it’ll be too late to ask them.

It might be worth a visit out there sometime in the future.
My new second favourite club...Vitesse Arnhem. on 11:16 - Sep 25 with 1872 viewsFirehoop

Just back from Arnhem, great w/end , the Dutch can’t do enough for us brits , it is very
Humbling. Culminating in the remembrance service on Sun. Flags flying everywhere Dutch people decked out in Pegasus. You would never get it here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024