Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat 23:14 - Oct 28 with 2047 viewsbosh67

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12732822/michael-beale-it-

Very measured and honest as usual. He’s recognised that we have been bullied by Luton and now Birmingham so I am sure he will look to remedy these kinds of situations. We could really do with a Dom Ball no nonsense type player to add physicality in these kind of games. A dominator in physical battles. Unlike previous seasons I feel confident that Mick will sort it out.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2022 23:14]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 00:11 - Oct 29 with 1877 viewsDamo1962

Being bullied out of games is not new to us - it's been going on for years now in the Championship. Can MB change that? Unlikely for me unless he is given the tools to do it. A "beast" in the middle, and a striker worthy of the name...would be a good start. MB has done well, but he is going to have to perform miracles to keep us in the top six IMHO.
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 00:21 - Oct 29 with 1838 viewsJigsore

Balogun and Dickie are both big physical players, Field is a unit, Dykes knows how to put himself around.

I feel like if you lean anymore into big and physical you lose what makes our team good - add a Lee Wallace you lose a Paal

teams would really sh*t themselves if we actually had a *great* striker. unfortunately they're like hens teeth. that's fine when we've got Willock but right now we don't - but Birmingham aren't sh*t so we move on
[Post edited 29 Oct 2022 0:22]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 07:46 - Oct 29 with 1522 viewsnix

I really hope we don't have to change our philosophy just to win against those kinds of teams.

It was a combination of their physicality and us starting off really slowly. We also missed Dunne I think, who probably would have been a better choice for this kind of match but wasn't available. I loved the Dominator's spirit but I don't think he was good enough for this level. He gave the ball away too much, would get booked in the first five minutes of coming on and couldn't distribute the ball well enough but you'd love him in League one.

It's true though that we haven't got a really physical midfielder apart from Field though, and he couldn't do it all on his own.

The manager's right that we shouldn't get carried away and in some ways I think he'd prefer us not to be a target but be just behind the front two. A bit like that athlete in a long distance race that tries to ghost past the top two on the final straight (not saying we'd manage that but that's the idea). The trouble with being so high up is that other teams really do treat our matches like cup finals. It's also relevant to note that both times recently the teams had a week off before playing us so could more easily play that high press, high physicality game (I know we had a week off too btw but we're not that kind of team). I'm not sure they could manage to do that three times in a week.
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 08:37 - Oct 29 with 1362 viewsdaveB

The answer is Willock as in these games you can get the ball to him and he gets up higher up the pitch pushing them back, we didn't have someone like that and they just had 3 men pressing Chair everytime he got the ball first haf, excellent gameplan from them but we were a bit slow to react to it.

Even well below our best we've missed a penalty and had 3 very good chances first half to get back in the game
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 08:42 - Oct 29 with 1342 viewsdistortR

Do we read anything in to Roberts "very minor" injury problem? I seem to recall the bench trying to get him to play through an injury in an earlier game.
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 08:45 - Oct 29 with 1337 viewsnix

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 08:42 - Oct 29 by distortR

Do we read anything in to Roberts "very minor" injury problem? I seem to recall the bench trying to get him to play through an injury in an earlier game.

Beagle's said he's got an ongoing calf injury that has to be managed. Maybe a bit like the injury Stef had last season: it doesn't stop them ever playing but never quite heals.
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 08:45 - Oct 29 with 1337 viewsDorse

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 07:46 - Oct 29 by nix

I really hope we don't have to change our philosophy just to win against those kinds of teams.

It was a combination of their physicality and us starting off really slowly. We also missed Dunne I think, who probably would have been a better choice for this kind of match but wasn't available. I loved the Dominator's spirit but I don't think he was good enough for this level. He gave the ball away too much, would get booked in the first five minutes of coming on and couldn't distribute the ball well enough but you'd love him in League one.

It's true though that we haven't got a really physical midfielder apart from Field though, and he couldn't do it all on his own.

The manager's right that we shouldn't get carried away and in some ways I think he'd prefer us not to be a target but be just behind the front two. A bit like that athlete in a long distance race that tries to ghost past the top two on the final straight (not saying we'd manage that but that's the idea). The trouble with being so high up is that other teams really do treat our matches like cup finals. It's also relevant to note that both times recently the teams had a week off before playing us so could more easily play that high press, high physicality game (I know we had a week off too btw but we're not that kind of team). I'm not sure they could manage to do that three times in a week.

Based on what I saw last night compared with what has gone before, I was surprised at how far our full backs got bogged down. Both Laird and Paal had moments but it felt to me like our midfield was under the cosh because our FBs were forced into a more risk-averse starting position. After that, I thought the ball just wouldn't stick with anyone! Proper pinball stuff caused by their numbers in the middle.

I miss Dom but he would have been a pub quiz question after 5 minutes. I hope his new Guatemalan folk dance evenings are going well.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 09:23 - Oct 29 with 1229 viewsfrancisbowles

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 07:46 - Oct 29 by nix

I agree Nix. Ball has, so far, been struggling to break into the Ipswich side. Only one 90 mins and one other start where he was subbed. Five off the bench, 212 minutes in total. Remarkably, no yellow cards!
Login to get fewer ads

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 20:50 - Oct 29 with 937 viewsLogman

There is a lot of sense in Nix's post. The best teams don't put the emphasis on combatting physicality, grinding out results and being functional (apart from Porto, Madrid, Inter and Chelsea under Mourinho). We mustn't throw out the baby with the bath water and continue to try to football our way out of these wars of attrition.
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 20:59 - Oct 29 with 913 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 20:50 - Oct 29 by Logman

There is a lot of sense in Nix's post. The best teams don't put the emphasis on combatting physicality, grinding out results and being functional (apart from Porto, Madrid, Inter and Chelsea under Mourinho). We mustn't throw out the baby with the bath water and continue to try to football our way out of these wars of attrition.

I agree, Logman. If our team is set up to play ball, we play ball. We don't need to suit up to go to war.

The only proviso is that we should always work incredibly hard. That should be a given. We didn't in the first half of last night's game - with or without the ball. I thought we worked hard in the second half, though, right up until the final whistle.

"There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do" - Derek Jeter.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 21:13 - Oct 29 with 895 viewsLogman

I agree. But it's a tough gig trying to get a team up for 46 games every minute of every game. It's only natural that the emphasis will go elsewhere on occasions. A good solid start against Naaar'idge in midweek and we can possibly do another of our hit and runs on the road.
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 22:19 - Oct 29 with 827 viewssilverbirch

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 21:13 - Oct 29 by Logman

I agree. But it's a tough gig trying to get a team up for 46 games every minute of every game. It's only natural that the emphasis will go elsewhere on occasions. A good solid start against Naaar'idge in midweek and we can possibly do another of our hit and runs on the road.

Can’t see how a team can’t be up for it when they are playing to go top of the league, under lights, on tv, in front of 2,000 of our away fans
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 01:15 - Oct 30 with 730 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 20:59 - Oct 29 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree, Logman. If our team is set up to play ball, we play ball. We don't need to suit up to go to war.

The only proviso is that we should always work incredibly hard. That should be a given. We didn't in the first half of last night's game - with or without the ball. I thought we worked hard in the second half, though, right up until the final whistle.

"There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do" - Derek Jeter.

I agree that we shouldn't overhaul our entire philosophy to match the opposition, but you need to earn the right to play. Man Utd knew how to play ball in the 90s but they could also mix it when required (your man Keane being a prime example).
Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 06:15 - Oct 30 with 644 viewsnix

Gaffer on tonight’s defeat on 20:59 - Oct 29 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree Brian. That was clearly what Beale was a bit irritated about, that we didn't compete from the first minute. I think he forgives them for making mistakes but not for being a bit flat, especially after having a week off (he's more accepting when it's the third game in a week).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024