Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 12:45 - Dec 16 with 3632 viewsRoyboy48

In amongst yesterday's euphoria I was reflecting on past Fulham matches - and elksewhre on this site there's been reminiscences of 1983 Mayday promotion plus the 2001 crockings inflicted accidentally by Rufus Brevitt on Carlisle and, was it Shittu? that derailed our progress.

There was another memorable match at Craven Cottage early in the 1972 season. Venables was QPR captain in a midfield inc. Gerry Francis and Martyn Busby. R's legend Alec Stock was by then managing Fulham. Psycho monster Paul Went trod on Busby's leg in the Fulham box and ran off; my abiding memory was the Fulham goalie who didn't wait for the ref but ran frantically to the St Johns guys on the touchline. People said you could hear the crack - I didn't, but it turned out to be a horrific injury.

Busby was on the fast track to replace Mullery in England midfield - he was never the same again.

I was Introduced to Paul Went a couple of years ago at a Leyton Orient hospitality do. I had to bite my tongue.

Anyone know what became of Martyn Busby?
Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 on 12:48 - Dec 16 with 3625 viewsTGRRRSSS

Carlisle and Langley got the knee injuries. There was a posting about Busby tackle and the nosie made. Well before my time as I wasn't even born then however.
Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 on 18:03 - Dec 16 with 3584 viewsbatmanhoop

I was at that game, night game, was the most graphic injury I've ever seen, a lot of unhappy Rangers players that night, particularly Tony Hazell. Sure Martyn would have gone on and played for England but that tackle virtually ended his career. When he hung up his boots, became a painter and decorator in the High Wycombe area
Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 on 18:17 - Dec 16 with 3564 viewsjonno

Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 on 18:03 - Dec 16 by batmanhoop

I was at that game, night game, was the most graphic injury I've ever seen, a lot of unhappy Rangers players that night, particularly Tony Hazell. Sure Martyn would have gone on and played for England but that tackle virtually ended his career. When he hung up his boots, became a painter and decorator in the High Wycombe area

I too was at that game. Never forget the sight of Busby lying on the floor sticking his broken leg up in the air. Not as bad as seeing a team mate have his leg broken literally alongside me during a game from two yards away but horrific never the less.
Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 on 18:53 - Dec 16 with 3532 viewsBarnesRanger

Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 on 18:17 - Dec 16 by jonno

I too was at that game. Never forget the sight of Busby lying on the floor sticking his broken leg up in the air. Not as bad as seeing a team mate have his leg broken literally alongside me during a game from two yards away but horrific never the less.

I heard the snap, sickening. Busby would have gone on to be a great player. I've never forgotten who did it either. He should have been sued and received a lengthy ban as he knew exactly what he was doing.
Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 on 19:13 - Dec 16 with 3517 viewscollegeranger

Became a publican in High Wycombe and last saw him in the nineties - he was friendly with my mum who also ran a pub in Wycombe. I think he was also managing Wycombe when still non-league in the 80's. Nice guy and always popping into see my Mum when my stepfather was out. Makes me wonder now!
Martyn Busby, Fulham 1972 on 19:25 - Dec 16 with 3499 viewsQPR1882

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/fb_mb.php?m=v&t=69874#13
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024