Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jonathon Trott 15:27 - Mar 17 with 5159 viewsaleanddale

What a tit

should never be near the England set up ever again and he should be made to undertake some voluntary work with some unfortunates who really are suffering with depression.

Michael Vaughns view >>

In his interview with Sky Sports he then completely disrespected anybody who has gone through depression and mental illness by using words such as “nutcase” or “crazy”. We have all said things we regret in the media but I find it staggering he is so ill-informed that he used those words.

I have friends who have been diagnosed with depression. They are not nutcases or crazy. They have picked up an illness that is invisible to others but can be debilitating. We have seen other England cricketers suffer from depression and I do not think Trott realises just how important an issue it is.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2014 15:36]
Jonathon Trott on 16:43 - Mar 17 with 5062 viewsD_Alien

And well done to Vaughn for speaking out

Not many would stick their neck out to offer an opinion on that subject

Trott was possibly on his way to being welcomed back into the England fold - that's certainly what he was angling for with his interview. Hope that's scuppered it for him.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Jonathon Trott on 17:42 - Mar 17 with 4985 viewsColDale

I suspect that Trott has yet to come to terms with the fact he has an issue with his MH. His choice of words do him no favours whatsoever, and suggest that he has a real stigma about those sort of issues. If that is the case, that he's lying to himself over this, then he's storing his troubles up for further down the line and a return to test match cricket should be the last thing on his mind.

If it is just the case that he was suffering from a perceived burn out from too much cricket, then its just yet another nail in a coffin that's already six feet under. To lie to the media and fans about the reasons for Trott's departure would suggest that the hierarchy at the ECB are purely self interested.
Jonathon Trott on 19:29 - Mar 17 with 4877 viewsmiddale

Jonathon Trott on 16:43 - Mar 17 by D_Alien

And well done to Vaughn for speaking out

Not many would stick their neck out to offer an opinion on that subject

Trott was possibly on his way to being welcomed back into the England fold - that's certainly what he was angling for with his interview. Hope that's scuppered it for him.

Regardless of Trott's ill chosen words (which I haven't heard) it's worth remembering Vaughan has had an agenda against him since he first got into the England team. Probably because he's the agent for all those mediocre Yorkshire middle order batsmen he's always touting for the England team who aren't fit to lace Trott's boots.

So Vaughan is the bigger tit in my opinion for not declaring his vested interest in this ongoing vendetta.

Blog: Addicted to Rochdale (Part 17) Diary of the 2010-11 Season

Jonathon Trott on 19:45 - Mar 17 with 4844 viewsmacro

If he's batting well enough then he'll get his place back. Vaughans just trying to get some self publicity, he's been learning from clarkson and Morgan
Jonathon Trott on 19:46 - Mar 17 with 4844 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Totally agree with OP - Trott clearly has issues of some sort, although I would suggest more bottle than mentality. He is ok vs a nice friendly medium pacer but vs real hostility (Oz, SA) he has not got the guts to stick it out and ruin his average average!!!

Flintoff suffered Mental Illness, as did a Somerset players wife, think Vaughan himself may have. If the guy ever wears the 3 Lions again - will be a disgrace!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Jonathon Trott on 20:12 - Mar 17 with 4806 viewsfinberty

Jonathon Trott on 19:29 - Mar 17 by middale

Regardless of Trott's ill chosen words (which I haven't heard) it's worth remembering Vaughan has had an agenda against him since he first got into the England team. Probably because he's the agent for all those mediocre Yorkshire middle order batsmen he's always touting for the England team who aren't fit to lace Trott's boots.

So Vaughan is the bigger tit in my opinion for not declaring his vested interest in this ongoing vendetta.

No only is he a t*t for this, but he is guilty of a far bigger sin:

He could never pronounce 'Pietersen' properly.

Ever.

It used to get right on my wick the way he did a Tony Blair-style glottal stop, presumably to sound a bit more cred.
For a professional broadcaster, I thought he was very poor.

Thank God Pee'Ersen has retired, or whatever's supposed to have gone on.
Jonathon Trott on 10:54 - Mar 18 with 4623 viewsD_Alien

Jonathon Trott on 19:29 - Mar 17 by middale

Vested interest? Don't talk wet!

Anyone who knows anything about cricket knows exactly what Vaughn's interests are. That doesn't make them vested.

He's just saying something that needed saying. If you don't like people speaking their mind that's fine. I get the distinct impression that there's a lot of sensitive souls out there who's knees start shaking whenever they read strong views, expressed strongly.

Jonathon Trott on 11:21 - Mar 18 with 4588 viewsaleanddale

I just hope Trott realises his mistake and regrets his choice of words.

If not he should be sat down by a PR guru and it explained to him why its unacceptable.

Cant see him in an England shirt again but the ECB are equally weak in there selection policies.

Its time to draw a line under his career and look to the younger hungrier blokes.
Login to get fewer ads

Jonathon Trott on 00:04 - Mar 19 with 4415 viewsmiddale

Jonathon Trott on 10:54 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

Vested interest? Don't talk wet!

Anyone who knows anything about cricket knows exactly what Vaughn's interests are. That doesn't make them vested.

He's just saying something that needed saying. If you don't like people speaking their mind that's fine. I get the distinct impression that there's a lot of sensitive souls out there who's knees start shaking whenever they read strong views, expressed strongly.

Eh??
Vested interest = strong personal interest for acting in a particular way.
In what way does that not apply to Vaughan?

Jonathon Trott on 00:18 - Mar 19 with 4400 viewsD_Alien

Jonathon Trott on 00:04 - Mar 19 by middale

Eh??
Vested interest = strong personal interest for acting in a particular way.
In what way does that not apply to Vaughan?

A vested interest is most easily defined as an interest in which the person has something to gain from expressing a particular point of view.

Not only has Vaughn nothing to gain from speaking out about Trott; if, as you claim, he was doing so in order to further the claims of others it would be so transparent that he'd lose all credibility as a commentator (hence my point about anyone who understands cricket knowing exactly what Vaughn's interest are).

It'd be detrimental to Vaughn's career to speak about Trott's mental condition simply to gain some kind of advantage for players from a club he represented - he's much wiser than that.

Jonathon Trott on 20:33 - Mar 19 with 4316 viewsmiddale

Jonathon Trott on 00:18 - Mar 19 by D_Alien

A vested interest is most easily defined as an interest in which the person has something to gain from expressing a particular point of view.

Not only has Vaughn nothing to gain from speaking out about Trott; if, as you claim, he was doing so in order to further the claims of others it would be so transparent that he'd lose all credibility as a commentator (hence my point about anyone who understands cricket knowing exactly what Vaughn's interest are).

It'd be detrimental to Vaughn's career to speak about Trott's mental condition simply to gain some kind of advantage for players from a club he represented - he's much wiser than that.

I think he's just slightly cynically seen a niche as a mildly controversial cricket commentator, to distance himself from the other bland ex-captains who commentate on Sky. A bit like Keane in football - where there's been a recent shift away from the MOTD pundits with nothing to say.

Jonathon Trott on 21:51 - Mar 19 with 4279 viewsD_Alien

Jonathon Trott on 20:33 - Mar 19 by middale

I think he's just slightly cynically seen a niche as a mildly controversial cricket commentator, to distance himself from the other bland ex-captains who commentate on Sky. A bit like Keane in football - where there's been a recent shift away from the MOTD pundits with nothing to say.

Erm... not really.

As an ex-England captain who gained massive respect for his leadership and performances, he's going to be asked his opinion, just like Atherton, Hussain, Botham etc.

He doesn't need the money, he's in no-ones pocket, very much his own man. What on earth you've got a problem with him speaking his mind on a subject that he's clearly in an almost unique position to comment on, I've no idea.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2014 21:55]

Jonathon Trott on 23:20 - Mar 19 with 4240 viewsmiddale

Jonathon Trott on 21:51 - Mar 19 by D_Alien

Erm... not really.

As an ex-England captain who gained massive respect for his leadership and performances, he's going to be asked his opinion, just like Atherton, Hussain, Botham etc.

He doesn't need the money, he's in no-ones pocket, very much his own man. What on earth you've got a problem with him speaking his mind on a subject that he's clearly in an almost unique position to comment on, I've no idea.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2014 21:55]

Well I can't put any reasons clearer than already. I've equally no idea why you think I've got a problem with Vaughan or anyone else speaking their mind on mental health, Dale's strikers, whatever subject, I haven't. You can have the final word though, we don't agree on this which is fine, not adding to this thread again.

Jonathon Trott on 23:39 - Mar 19 with 4225 viewsD_Alien

Jonathon Trott on 23:20 - Mar 19 by middale

Well I can't put any reasons clearer than already. I've equally no idea why you think I've got a problem with Vaughan or anyone else speaking their mind on mental health, Dale's strikers, whatever subject, I haven't. You can have the final word though, we don't agree on this which is fine, not adding to this thread again.

Well, I think I will have the final word.

For you to accuse Vaughn of exploiting someone's mental issues (real or imagined) to further his own interests is a f**king disgrace.

Thankyou and goodnight.

Jonathon Trott on 07:35 - Mar 20 with 4160 viewsaleanddale

Vaughan just tweeted about predicting a Torquay win....

#jetlag
Jonathon Trott on 23:38 - Apr 18 with 3993 viewsmiddale

Jonathon Trott on 07:35 - Mar 20 by aleanddale

Vaughan just tweeted about predicting a Torquay win....

#jetlag

And hopefully Vaughan will consider following up that tweet with a new one publicly apologising to Trott after the latest sad developments...

Jonathon Trott on 23:59 - Apr 18 with 3971 viewsD_Alien

Jonathon Trott on 23:38 - Apr 18 by middale

And hopefully Vaughan will consider following up that tweet with a new one publicly apologising to Trott after the latest sad developments...

Absolute rubbish

Trott himself backtracked on the reasons he gave for leaving the tour of Australia - citing simple "burn out" in an effort to get himself playing cricket at the start of the season

Irrespective of what mental health condition he may or may not have, Vaughan is entitled to express an opinion on this matter (just as you and I do) without having an apology demanded of him

[Post edited 19 Apr 2014 0:03]

Jonathon Trott on 00:24 - Apr 19 with 3927 viewsmiddale

Jonathon Trott on 23:59 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

Absolute rubbish

Trott himself backtracked on the reasons he gave for leaving the tour of Australia - citing simple "burn out" in an effort to get himself playing cricket at the start of the season

Irrespective of what mental health condition he may or may not have, Vaughan is entitled to express an opinion on this matter (just as you and I do) without having an apology demanded of him

[Post edited 19 Apr 2014 0:03]

Considering an apology - reflecting on his original view - is not exactly the same as demanding one! But no-one's holding their breath on that happening, I'm sure he's not the type who'd ever want to be seen doing something as feeble as changing his mind.

Jonathon Trott on 05:08 - Apr 19 with 3869 viewsD_Alien

Jonathon Trott on 00:24 - Apr 19 by middale

Considering an apology - reflecting on his original view - is not exactly the same as demanding one! But no-one's holding their breath on that happening, I'm sure he's not the type who'd ever want to be seen doing something as feeble as changing his mind.

Or, indeed, reacting to pressure from feeble-minded people.

Whilst having some sympathy for Trott in his predicament , the pressures that he's succuming to are largely of his own making. International cricket (like any top-level professional sport) is an unforgiving place, in the sporting sense.

Trott's game was based around strength of method and concentration and he achieved considerable success through that. Vaughan is entitled to express an opinion based on the perceived facts at the time, which Trott himself re-inforced through his attempt to portray himself as simply suffering from burn-out. If it turns out he's got a deeper problem then what is there for Vaughan to apologise for?

If a footballer for instance, tries to trick his manager into playing him when he's hampered by an injury, who's at fault? If an experienced and accomplished commentator makes an observation on that, it's just part and parcel of the sport that gives some people a very good living.

To perceive psychiatric problems as in some way different to physical illness is a common error, and in fact does those suffering from mental illness a disservice. However, many people do think of people with psychiatric illness as in some way "different" and in some way deserving of greater sympathy - hence my reference to feeble-minded people making those kind of assumptions.

And those are my last words on the subject.

[Post edited 19 Apr 2014 5:26]

Jonathon Trott on 22:58 - Apr 24 with 3686 viewsmiddale

Jonathon Trott on 05:08 - Apr 19 by D_Alien

Or, indeed, reacting to pressure from feeble-minded people.

Whilst having some sympathy for Trott in his predicament , the pressures that he's succuming to are largely of his own making. International cricket (like any top-level professional sport) is an unforgiving place, in the sporting sense.

Trott's game was based around strength of method and concentration and he achieved considerable success through that. Vaughan is entitled to express an opinion based on the perceived facts at the time, which Trott himself re-inforced through his attempt to portray himself as simply suffering from burn-out. If it turns out he's got a deeper problem then what is there for Vaughan to apologise for?

If a footballer for instance, tries to trick his manager into playing him when he's hampered by an injury, who's at fault? If an experienced and accomplished commentator makes an observation on that, it's just part and parcel of the sport that gives some people a very good living.

To perceive psychiatric problems as in some way different to physical illness is a common error, and in fact does those suffering from mental illness a disservice. However, many people do think of people with psychiatric illness as in some way "different" and in some way deserving of greater sympathy - hence my reference to feeble-minded people making those kind of assumptions.

And those are my last words on the subject.

[Post edited 19 Apr 2014 5:26]

Agree with some of that, though not of course the bit about Vaughan having nothing to apologise for as he was high on the list of factors contributing to the 'deeper problem.'
Anyway, It looks like Trott won't even play county cricket again now which is very sad. WIth hindsight, Trott made a big mistake doing the Sky programme and should have kept a lower profile.

This article summarises the whole sorry saga well and covers everyone at Warwickhire's opinion of Vaughan.
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/cricket/brian-halford-dont-surprised-jonat

Jonathon Trott on 17:11 - Sep 23 with 2722 viewsmiddale

Anyone still interested in this ongoing spat can see the latest developments between Trott and Vaughan in the Daily Mirror today. This is after the extract published from Trott's autobiography in the TImes about Vaughan's alleged vested interests...

Jonathon Trott on 17:15 - Sep 23 with 2710 viewsColDale

Jonathon Trott on 17:11 - Sep 23 by middale

Anyone still interested in this ongoing spat can see the latest developments between Trott and Vaughan in the Daily Mirror today. This is after the extract published from Trott's autobiography in the TImes about Vaughan's alleged vested interests...

There's an excellent piece on the Telegraph online site in response to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/09/22/jonathan-trotts-accusations-agains
Jonathon Trott on 17:26 - Sep 23 with 2673 viewsD_Alien

Jonathon Trott on 17:15 - Sep 23 by ColDale

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/09/22/jonathan-trotts-accusations-agains

Amen to that

Jonathon Trott on 17:53 - Sep 23 with 2617 viewsmiddale

Jonathon Trott on 17:15 - Sep 23 by ColDale

Not the first word I'd personally use about that article!

Interesting to see the buried line about the influence of the ghost writer - its turning into a spat between journalists as well.

Jonathon Trott on 19:30 - Sep 23 with 2500 viewsaleanddale

My OP was due to Trotts misjudged comments...

Subsequently he has admitted to his own mental health being problematic. For that I am sorry for the bloke and hope he gets all the correct help and support he needs.

If he makes a comeback due to these new revelations and is picked for England on merit then fair enough.

His initial comments are more of a mystery though knowing he suffers from what is a terrible terrible illness / condition.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024