Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps 11:32 - Oct 5 with 11626 viewsrobbowood

Just published and available from

Tony Brown, 4 Adrian Close, Toton, Nottingham, NG9 6FL
tel 0115 973 6086
e-mail soccer@innotts.co.uk
web www.soccerdata.com

Cost is £12.50 plus £1.50 postage

146 pages and loads of individual photos plus team photos for 1949, 1959, 1961/2, 1966/7, 1971/2

The front cover includes a team photo on a 'cold day' in January 1962 (snow on the ground!!)

Those who of us who have bought Stephen's previous books on Dale will know what an amazing amount of research he puts in - we really are fortunate as so many other league clubs get little of their history published

In this period our greatest player Reg Jenkins played for Dale and Fred Radcliffe arrived at Spotland (the Football League's youngest chairman) and appointed Harry Catterick (later Everton) as one of our managers

Our penultimate game of the 1971/72 season was away to promoted Brighton and watched by over 34000 (Nine days later at Spotland against Port Vale, for our final game, the crowd was 2475 !!)

The book really is great value for money and anybody who follows the Dale and takes an interest in its history and our ex-players should buy a copy

Volume 1 which covers the period 1907 to 1939 is still available from Tony Brown at the same price

Hopefully Steven is already working on the period 1973 onwards as I for one cannot wait for it to be published
Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 23:25 - Oct 9 with 2279 viewsD_Alien

Agree about Whitehead.

He had the ability to make a career for himself in the championship or above, but a bit like Paddy McCourt never seemed to be able to put together a run of games consistently.

Three lasting impressions of him:

Skipping round the defender on the byline before squaring the ball for Reg Jenkins to blast home the winner against Brighton on Grand National day (ko 4pm so people could watch the race)

Chipping the ball from a similar position for Dave Cross to head the first goal against Coventry in the cup game

Slamming the penalty just inside the post for our 1-0 win against Aston Villa in front of a packed Sandy, in the famous "Tony Godfrey was unbeatable" game when they should've won 10-1 but for our keeper

[Post edited 9 Oct 2014 23:39]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 23:53 - Oct 9 with 2257 viewspioneer

Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 23:25 - Oct 9 by D_Alien

Agree about Whitehead.

He had the ability to make a career for himself in the championship or above, but a bit like Paddy McCourt never seemed to be able to put together a run of games consistently.

Three lasting impressions of him:

Skipping round the defender on the byline before squaring the ball for Reg Jenkins to blast home the winner against Brighton on Grand National day (ko 4pm so people could watch the race)

Chipping the ball from a similar position for Dave Cross to head the first goal against Coventry in the cup game

Slamming the penalty just inside the post for our 1-0 win against Aston Villa in front of a packed Sandy, in the famous "Tony Godfrey was unbeatable" game when they should've won 10-1 but for our keeper

[Post edited 9 Oct 2014 23:39]

three great games there and I think it might have been the first penalty he took for the dale.
Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 18:36 - Oct 13 with 2183 viewsmingthemerciless

I was there that afternoon. I don't remember him taking many pens other than that one. Big Reg usually did the business at that time. Didn't Dennis Butler take pens ?

I seem to remember Laurie Calloway putting one out of the ground at the Church Inn end.
Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 13:19 - Oct 14 with 2118 viewsseasidedale

I remember Norman Whitehead scoring a pen v Aston Villa in 1972 I think our only shot in the whole game, villa spent big that season and where tanking everyone, our keeper tony godfrey had an absolute blinder scoring 10 out of 10 in the old news of the world match form reports
Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 15:37 - Dec 15 with 2008 viewsfermin

I'm trying to get old of this book, but Waterstones are having problems extracting it from the publisher and have now given up. Have others got it by ringing the number or emailing the address in the original post?
Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 18:10 - Dec 15 with 1967 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 15:37 - Dec 15 by fermin

I'm trying to get old of this book, but Waterstones are having problems extracting it from the publisher and have now given up. Have others got it by ringing the number or emailing the address in the original post?

Yep, direct from the soccerdata site.
Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 18:18 - Dec 15 with 1960 viewsSuddenLad

Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 18:10 - Dec 15 by Albert_Whitehurst

Yep, direct from the soccerdata site.

Ditto. Contacted them directly through their website, pain on-line and received the book within 48 hours.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 20:33 - Dec 15 with 1926 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 15:37 - Dec 15 by fermin

As with SuddenLad and NC, I got a copy that way too, although I believe they have some in the Club Shop, although I haven't seen them advertised.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale AFC Who's Who 1939-1973 by Steven Phillipps on 08:35 - Dec 16 with 1868 viewsfermin

Thanks. I'm trying that so hopefully it will arrive soon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024