Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our New Director 21:13 - Aug 6 with 8135 views1907

Inspirational. That's all I have to say.
Our New Director on 21:21 - Aug 6 with 7222 views442Dale

That was an impressive speech.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Our New Director on 21:39 - Aug 6 with 7084 viewsseasidedale

For us fans unable to attend, what did he say please
Our New Director on 23:27 - Aug 6 with 6728 viewsRosun

'Twas a speech from the heart. Totally unscripted, how he's moved back up north from Oxford. Has experience in sales and marketing and hopes to bring something to the table. Not just a talking head. Has left his grown up family and friends down south to re-locate.
It was one of the best speeches of the night. He adds a bit of vigour and you can tell he is a fan but also a hard nosed business man. In the toy industry but does not import rubber dog shit from China. Glad to have him on board. Plus he has Sutty's card marked!
Our New Director on 03:07 - Aug 7 with 6490 viewsTalkingSutty

Our New Director on 23:27 - Aug 6 by Rosun

'Twas a speech from the heart. Totally unscripted, how he's moved back up north from Oxford. Has experience in sales and marketing and hopes to bring something to the table. Not just a talking head. Has left his grown up family and friends down south to re-locate.
It was one of the best speeches of the night. He adds a bit of vigour and you can tell he is a fan but also a hard nosed business man. In the toy industry but does not import rubber dog shit from China. Glad to have him on board. Plus he has Sutty's card marked!

I can't help him with the importing of dog shit from China but obviously my advice would be to be very careful where you tread, a bit like entering a Football Clubs Boardroom i would imagine.

Always struck me as a very intelligent man during our numerous conversations, a bit like me really. Obviously if he needs any honest advice and not his ego massaging he knows where i am.

The best signing of the summer and like i stated at the time of his appointment,a possible future Chairman?

We always wanted a Dale Fan on the board, now we've got one.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2015 7:38]
Our New Director on 07:23 - Aug 7 with 6354 views1907

"It's taken me five hours to get to this meeting tonight. But it's taken me 40 years to get behind this desk"
Our New Director on 07:53 - Aug 7 with 6264 viewsisitme

He made a comment about trying to attract substantial commercial income. I wonder if a stadium naming contract is an option when we take ownership of the ground?
Our New Director on 08:28 - Aug 7 with 6166 viewsdingdangblue

Our New Director on 07:53 - Aug 7 by isitme

He made a comment about trying to attract substantial commercial income. I wonder if a stadium naming contract is an option when we take ownership of the ground?

I would say its more than an option!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Our New Director on 08:49 - Aug 7 with 6093 viewsR17ALE

Our New Director on 03:07 - Aug 7 by TalkingSutty

I can't help him with the importing of dog shit from China but obviously my advice would be to be very careful where you tread, a bit like entering a Football Clubs Boardroom i would imagine.

Always struck me as a very intelligent man during our numerous conversations, a bit like me really. Obviously if he needs any honest advice and not his ego massaging he knows where i am.

The best signing of the summer and like i stated at the time of his appointment,a possible future Chairman?

We always wanted a Dale Fan on the board, now we've got one.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2015 7:38]

I've known this chap quite well for a number of years now and he's definitely one of us. Fan made good = put it into the club.

To be fair I would say he's yet another fan on the board. I think all of them are fans.

He did ask if Talking Sutty was in the room however, as due to your Willbutts Lane chippy remark he says he's now on a diet!

I'd describe this as a prodigal son situation, but we're not killing the fatted calf because we can't afford one! Or a knife!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Login to get fewer ads

Our New Director on 09:18 - Aug 7 with 6022 viewsdalenumber2

Does this man have a name and are we allowed to know it?
Our New Director on 09:18 - Aug 7 with 6018 viewsColDale

Our New Director on 09:18 - Aug 7 by dalenumber2

Does this man have a name and are we allowed to know it?

David Bottomly
Our New Director on 01:59 - Aug 8 with 5453 viewsLongTimeDaleFan

I thought that all our Christmases had come at once. I had the pleasure of speaking to him after the meeting and like all our Directors he is passionate about Dale and a fan.

If you are reading this David it was Mark Stuart!
Our New Director on 23:51 - Apr 10 with 3208 viewsRAFCBLUE

Changed your mind on DB, 1907?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Our New Director on 02:47 - Apr 11 with 3019 viewsTalkingSutty

Great resurrecting and it just goes to show that not many had an agenda against DB before he walked into the Club, not even me, even if I did mention his wasteline. He has been judged purely on his performance, just like our manager, which is how it should be. It was the infamous stag do that first made me question his credentials as a Director. I believe even his personal friends and fellow Dale fans will now feel very let down, they weren’t to know he would end up running the show and dragging the club down.

At the time nothing was known of the price fixing case in which he was involved in as a serving company director of a toy company, a very high profile case which resulted in court appearances and fines being applied, adding up to multiple millions of pounds, a case that is accesssible on line for public consumption and one that was first brought to the supporters attention on the forum by Judd. Price fixing can be translated as ‘Ripping off the paying public’. A few years after coming into the Club he somehow ends up in possession of the clubs cheque book and making all the financial decisions at the Club, not bad for somebody who was unemployed. Who was responsible for letting this undesirable take the job as the CEO and shouldn’t he have had to have been thoroughly checked out first before being given such a high profile job? The previous Chairman and current Directors have to take the blame for allowing that to happen, maybe it was a appointment that also suited them, there has to be a underlying reason why the CEO appears to be untouchable (even now) and long serving Directors have just turned a blind eye and let him run the club as he wants, why have they allowed a rooky Director to come into the club and do that and why have they sat quietly in the background and not intervened?

If he really does love the Club as much as he purports to do he will now see that he is killing it and he will leave his position. It’s just like any failed marriage, eventually there comes a point when a split is the only way because it’s hurting people, this is now that moment in time for the CEO. Could he then hold his hands up and say that he made a pigs ear of things, show a bit of humility and get back on the terraces to do what he did best, yes i think he could.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 7:39]
Our New Director on 08:09 - Apr 11 with 2836 viewsJames1980

It seems we have gone to look at the possibilities with this man in the Boardroom to 'get thee behind Rochdale AFC, Bottomley'

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Our New Director on 08:30 - Apr 11 with 2778 viewsfunkkk

One thing DB is good at is getting people on side. As shown by the fawning over him on this thread.
Our New Director on 09:06 - Apr 11 with 2679 viewsJames1980

What was said in this speech? I know it was some time ago but it clearly impressed.

Our New Director on 09:08 - Apr 11 with 2675 views1907

Our New Director on 23:51 - Apr 10 by RAFCBLUE

Changed your mind on DB, 1907?

I have yeah. Is that not allowed?

It’s certainly a little weird that you’ve taken the time to scroll back through my because I don’t believe fans should boycott season tickets for the club, to try and make me look foolish or something?

If I remember this night correctly, DB turned up and was an absolute breath of fresh air at his first AGM & all who were sat there believed the same.

How were we supposed to know he would force himself into the CEO role & then create all this nonsense about contract extensions.

That night he came across as sincere & devoted to his club, ultimately actions speak louder than words.
Our New Director on 09:47 - Apr 11 with 2563 viewsDalenet

Our New Director on 09:08 - Apr 11 by 1907

It’s certainly a little weird that you’ve taken the time to scroll back through my because I don’t believe fans should boycott season tickets for the club, to try and make me look foolish or something?

If I remember this night correctly, DB turned up and was an absolute breath of fresh air at his first AGM & all who were sat there believed the same.

How were we supposed to know he would force himself into the CEO role & then create all this nonsense about contract extensions.

That night he came across as sincere & devoted to his club, ultimately actions speak louder than words.

You are entitled to change your view, as so many hundreds have too.

DB used to sit near me at games before he became a director. He always came a cross as a decent fan that loved the club. He was elevated to join the Board and his first task was to develop the pricing strategy for season tickets. As an accomplished sales and marketing expert his experience was put to good use. But he didn't understand the customer (first lesson on marketing) and it all backfired. We then spent two seasons rowing back on pricing. He has always believed that the club needed to drive more revenue to survive, but the way he has done it doesn't always resonate.

I have no evidence as to whether he is a poor CEO or simply somebody that is trying to make the best of the poor hand he has been dealt. Trying to manage in a pandemic with no levers to pull to find income will be a hard task. I can forgive that. But he has led the Board on the football issues including BBMs contract. If he is passionate about football he will know that the product on offer is awful and not what the fans want to see. (Another failure in marketing). He is responsible for that and has to take the criticism on the chin.

You don't need to be liked to run a business well. But you have to command respect. He has failed to engage with his customers and understand their priorities. He hasn't taken the right actions to adjust the product on offer. For that he will be seen as a failure. To be honest I blame Andrew Kilpatrick. He agreed to be Chairman and he let it happen. Then he walked away rather than address it. A good man doesn't leave a sinking ship without trying to put in place some changes before you handover. His chairmanship has been a dreadful legacy.
Our New Director on 10:01 - Apr 11 with 2517 viewsdawlishdale

Our New Director on 09:08 - Apr 11 by 1907

My conclusion on Bottomley is that he fools most people in the short term (myself included) but when you have dealings with him on a regular basis, he contradicts himself and changes tack, sometimes becoming rude and confrontational, other times simply ignoring people as insignificant... often without knowing what he said before.....all of which makes him unsuitable for office.

In other words; there are two personas at work here... the sensible, enthusiastic and loyal DB, who you meet initially, and the real DB... almost an alter ego if you like and pretty much the opposite of this initial view.

If you add to this an enormous personal ego...some would say bordering on narcissistic; he quickly becomes a dangerous person.

The perfect storm is completed when such a person is left in a position of unchallenged authority, which is exactly what has happened at the club due to the weakness of the previous Chairman, and the inaction of the other Directors who seemingly left him to do as he pleased.

The sooner he is not able to make any decisions the better.

Of course, DB will not think there is anything wrong with the way he runs things, and furthermore, he will probably feel that any criticism of him is unjustified.

There are now so many people who have seen through him that there can be no other outcome than his swift departure from the club before any more damage can be done; and sadly, he has already inflicted so much that we may never recover.
Our New Director on 10:37 - Apr 11 with 2405 viewsJames1980

Was my post of DSM V diagnostic criteria for NPD a breach of guidelines?

Our New Director on 11:02 - Apr 11 with 2343 viewsSalegraham

Our New Director on 02:47 - Apr 11 by TalkingSutty

Great resurrecting and it just goes to show that not many had an agenda against DB before he walked into the Club, not even me, even if I did mention his wasteline. He has been judged purely on his performance, just like our manager, which is how it should be. It was the infamous stag do that first made me question his credentials as a Director. I believe even his personal friends and fellow Dale fans will now feel very let down, they weren’t to know he would end up running the show and dragging the club down.

At the time nothing was known of the price fixing case in which he was involved in as a serving company director of a toy company, a very high profile case which resulted in court appearances and fines being applied, adding up to multiple millions of pounds, a case that is accesssible on line for public consumption and one that was first brought to the supporters attention on the forum by Judd. Price fixing can be translated as ‘Ripping off the paying public’. A few years after coming into the Club he somehow ends up in possession of the clubs cheque book and making all the financial decisions at the Club, not bad for somebody who was unemployed. Who was responsible for letting this undesirable take the job as the CEO and shouldn’t he have had to have been thoroughly checked out first before being given such a high profile job? The previous Chairman and current Directors have to take the blame for allowing that to happen, maybe it was a appointment that also suited them, there has to be a underlying reason why the CEO appears to be untouchable (even now) and long serving Directors have just turned a blind eye and let him run the club as he wants, why have they allowed a rooky Director to come into the club and do that and why have they sat quietly in the background and not intervened?

If he really does love the Club as much as he purports to do he will now see that he is killing it and he will leave his position. It’s just like any failed marriage, eventually there comes a point when a split is the only way because it’s hurting people, this is now that moment in time for the CEO. Could he then hold his hands up and say that he made a pigs ear of things, show a bit of humility and get back on the terraces to do what he did best, yes i think he could.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 7:39]

Did DB not get banned from being a director for his part in this fiddle, if he had have been we wouldn't be in this pickle. Most directors that finish up in a situation like that get a lifetime ban on being a director, hence a lot put there wives as director in there place
Our New Director on 11:25 - Apr 11 with 2270 viewsSuddenLad

Our New Director on 11:02 - Apr 11 by Salegraham

Did DB not get banned from being a director for his part in this fiddle, if he had have been we wouldn't be in this pickle. Most directors that finish up in a situation like that get a lifetime ban on being a director, hence a lot put there wives as director in there place

He volunteered to confess to his role in the dishonest practices and was, therefore 'given credit' for his co-operation with the OFT enquiry. This also resulted in a reduced financial penalty for his employers.

From memory, there were various company fines handed out in the region of £8 million to £15 million for breaching the regulations. I'm not certain that any personal penalties for individuals were imposed.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Our New Director on 12:09 - Apr 11 with 2158 viewsTalkingSutty

Our New Director on 11:25 - Apr 11 by SuddenLad

He volunteered to confess to his role in the dishonest practices and was, therefore 'given credit' for his co-operation with the OFT enquiry. This also resulted in a reduced financial penalty for his employers.

From memory, there were various company fines handed out in the region of £8 million to £15 million for breaching the regulations. I'm not certain that any personal penalties for individuals were imposed.

Correct SL, he ended up confessing, giving evidence and co-operating with the OFT enquiry. Had he not done that then the massive financial fine would not have been reduced. As you rightly point out the fines amounted to many millions of pounds and at the time it was one of the biggest price fixing scandals the OFT had ever been involved in. I think he was the Sales Director at the time. Trying to inflate the prices on the coach travel down to Wembley for the Spurs game now seems like small fry when compared to this but it’s the same mentality, fleecing the customers. It’s unbelievable that he now has the keys to our football club.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 12:14]
Our New Director on 13:20 - Apr 11 with 2024 viewsjudd

Our New Director on 12:09 - Apr 11 by TalkingSutty

Correct SL, he ended up confessing, giving evidence and co-operating with the OFT enquiry. Had he not done that then the massive financial fine would not have been reduced. As you rightly point out the fines amounted to many millions of pounds and at the time it was one of the biggest price fixing scandals the OFT had ever been involved in. I think he was the Sales Director at the time. Trying to inflate the prices on the coach travel down to Wembley for the Spurs game now seems like small fry when compared to this but it’s the same mentality, fleecing the customers. It’s unbelievable that he now has the keys to our football club.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 12:14]

I will make this quite clear - in the reports of the following decisions in no way did he act unilaterally, and extracts are posted only to highlight some of the involvement, and should be read in conjunction with the Trust report linked at the bottom and some assumptions in earlier posts.

1. Competition Act 1998
Decision of Director General of Fair Trading
No. CA98/18/2002
Hasbro and Distributors

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/555de4c3ed915d7ae200016b/hasbro.p
Of note:
The Director considers that agreements between undertakings that fix prices are among the most serious infringements caught under the Chapter I prohibition. He will therefore impose a financial penalty on Hasbro. However, the Director will not impose financial penalties on any of the ten distributors as Hasbro had taken the initiative in fixing prices and the distributors were in a substantially weaker position. (Summary, page 1)

The resultant penalty imposed on Hasbro is therefore £4.95 million. (para 98)
David Bottomley, UK Sales Director, admitted in his statement to OFT officials
that he “was an instigator”. ..
It is the Director’s view that, in the person of David Bottomley, Hasbro’s senior management was fully aware of what the Distributors’ agreements involved and actively
encouraged their implementation. (para 89)
From the Guardian 29th November 2002:
“The fine is the largest handed out so far under the 1998 Competition Act, which prevents agreements among companies or people that have the effect of "preventing, restricting or distorting" competition.”
Hasbro decided not to appeal the penalty.
It is quite clear in the report of this decision and the following decisions that in no way did he act unilaterally.

2. Competition Act 1998
Decision of the Office of Fair Trading
No. CA98/8/2003
Agreements between Hasbro U.K. Ltd, Argos Ltd and Littlewoods Ltd fixing the price of Hasbro toys and games

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/555de4d340f0b666a2000168/hasbro3.
Of note:
Argos fined £17.28m, Littlewoods £5.37m
The OFT considers that agreements between undertakings that fix prices are among the
most serious infringements caught under the Chapter I prohibition. It is therefore
imposing financial penalties on Hasbro, Argos and Littlewoods. However, Hasbro has
been granted 100% leniency since it was the first to provide the Director General of
Fair Trading (as he then was) with evidence of the infringing agreements before the
investigation commenced. Hasbro also co-operated fully. Therefore its penalty will be
reduced to nil. (From £15.59 million)
OFT is also aware of the remedial action taken by Hasbro's parent
company, Hasbro Inc, following its discovery of the infringement. It has taken
severe disciplinary action against the employees concerned (para 405)

3. IN THE COMPETITION APPEAL TRIBUNAL Cases: 1014 and 1015/1/1/03
BETWEEN:
(1) ARGOS LIMITED
(2) LITTLEWOODS LIMITED
Appellants
-v.-
OFFICE OF FAIR TRADING
(formerly the Director General of Fair Trading)
Respondent

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff79260d03e7f57eaf5ee

Of note:
In our judgment, Mr. Thomson was a truthful witness, who gave evidence honestly as to
the facts as he saw them. Where his recollection was imprecise, he told us so, but on the
essential elements we find that Mr. Thomson’s recollection was reliable. In addition, his
evidence is broadly corroborated by the unchallenged evidence of Mr. Bottomley and Mr.
Wilson and is, in our view, consistent with the documents. (para 302)

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2019/02/meeting-with-the-club-27th-feb/

So, Hasbro were discovered to have breached the Competitions Act v Distributors and fined heavily.

As a result of this, Hasbro alerted the OFT to their activities with Argos and Littlewoods , and that is why Bottomley became a witness, and why the OFT showed leniency in rescinding the £15.59m fine.

The 3rd case is of Argos and Littlewoods appealing the decision of he 2nd case.

Hasbro took "severe disciplinary action" against employees involved.

I doubt that meant leaving them off the Xmas card list.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Our New Director on 13:43 - Apr 11 with 1970 viewsTalkingSutty

Our New Director on 13:20 - Apr 11 by judd

I will make this quite clear - in the reports of the following decisions in no way did he act unilaterally, and extracts are posted only to highlight some of the involvement, and should be read in conjunction with the Trust report linked at the bottom and some assumptions in earlier posts.

1. Competition Act 1998
Decision of Director General of Fair Trading
No. CA98/18/2002
Hasbro and Distributors

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/555de4c3ed915d7ae200016b/hasbro.p
Of note:
The Director considers that agreements between undertakings that fix prices are among the most serious infringements caught under the Chapter I prohibition. He will therefore impose a financial penalty on Hasbro. However, the Director will not impose financial penalties on any of the ten distributors as Hasbro had taken the initiative in fixing prices and the distributors were in a substantially weaker position. (Summary, page 1)

The resultant penalty imposed on Hasbro is therefore £4.95 million. (para 98)
David Bottomley, UK Sales Director, admitted in his statement to OFT officials
that he “was an instigator”. ..
It is the Director’s view that, in the person of David Bottomley, Hasbro’s senior management was fully aware of what the Distributors’ agreements involved and actively
encouraged their implementation. (para 89)
From the Guardian 29th November 2002:
“The fine is the largest handed out so far under the 1998 Competition Act, which prevents agreements among companies or people that have the effect of "preventing, restricting or distorting" competition.”
Hasbro decided not to appeal the penalty.
It is quite clear in the report of this decision and the following decisions that in no way did he act unilaterally.

2. Competition Act 1998
Decision of the Office of Fair Trading
No. CA98/8/2003
Agreements between Hasbro U.K. Ltd, Argos Ltd and Littlewoods Ltd fixing the price of Hasbro toys and games

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/555de4d340f0b666a2000168/hasbro3.
Of note:
Argos fined £17.28m, Littlewoods £5.37m
The OFT considers that agreements between undertakings that fix prices are among the
most serious infringements caught under the Chapter I prohibition. It is therefore
imposing financial penalties on Hasbro, Argos and Littlewoods. However, Hasbro has
been granted 100% leniency since it was the first to provide the Director General of
Fair Trading (as he then was) with evidence of the infringing agreements before the
investigation commenced. Hasbro also co-operated fully. Therefore its penalty will be
reduced to nil. (From £15.59 million)
OFT is also aware of the remedial action taken by Hasbro's parent
company, Hasbro Inc, following its discovery of the infringement. It has taken
severe disciplinary action against the employees concerned (para 405)

3. IN THE COMPETITION APPEAL TRIBUNAL Cases: 1014 and 1015/1/1/03
BETWEEN:
(1) ARGOS LIMITED
(2) LITTLEWOODS LIMITED
Appellants
-v.-
OFFICE OF FAIR TRADING
(formerly the Director General of Fair Trading)
Respondent

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff79260d03e7f57eaf5ee

Of note:
In our judgment, Mr. Thomson was a truthful witness, who gave evidence honestly as to
the facts as he saw them. Where his recollection was imprecise, he told us so, but on the
essential elements we find that Mr. Thomson’s recollection was reliable. In addition, his
evidence is broadly corroborated by the unchallenged evidence of Mr. Bottomley and Mr.
Wilson and is, in our view, consistent with the documents. (para 302)

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2019/02/meeting-with-the-club-27th-feb/

So, Hasbro were discovered to have breached the Competitions Act v Distributors and fined heavily.

As a result of this, Hasbro alerted the OFT to their activities with Argos and Littlewoods , and that is why Bottomley became a witness, and why the OFT showed leniency in rescinding the £15.59m fine.

The 3rd case is of Argos and Littlewoods appealing the decision of he 2nd case.

Hasbro took "severe disciplinary action" against employees involved.

I doubt that meant leaving them off the Xmas card list.

Thanks for that, fortunately they didn’t get away with it. Hasbro had their near £16 million fine reduced to zero because their UK Sales Director ( David Bottomley) decided to co-operate with the OFT investigation and he admitted to them that he “was an instigator”. This sort of thing happens a lot when it comes to civil issues/criminality, reduced punishment if there is co-operation with the people investigating it. To be honest David Bottomley, alongside all the others involved in that case should be ashamed of themselves, blatantly attempting to rip off the customers, it’s as simple as that. We aren’t talking petty crime with this case, it was a multi million pound scam.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 14:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024