Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) 19:42 - Sep 11 with 2410 viewsSW17_RRR

Been thinking of getting an imac, anyone out there got one, what are the good and bad points; can u use word on it etc.

Any info would be top draw............UUUUUUUUuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrssssssss
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 20:01 - Sep 11 with 2401 viewsbosh67

They are excellent. Very intuitive. You can use word but they generally do pages as the software program. It's the same program basically but easier to use. It converts out to docx as well so no problems there. Once you get used to using one it becomes the only computer you want to use. They don't get corrupted very often either.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 20:07 - Sep 11 with 2399 viewsVancouverHoop

Pluses. Very intuitive to figure out and use. Virus free. Yes you can use Word. Most major applications are cross-platform these days. Durable, My current MacAir is over six years old and, with upgrades, will run anything I've asked it to

Minuses. Not cheap, but should last for years (see above.) Having said that the MacMini is an functional inexpensive desktop, as you can add a generic keyboard, mouse and monitor. Cords and wires are somewhat prone to breakage.
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 20:24 - Sep 11 with 2382 viewsSW17_RRR

is it really good for running all the other apple devices off it - ipads, ipods etc and does it need virus protection?
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 20:27 - Sep 11 with 2380 viewsBklynRanger

I've got an iMac. Had one before as well which lasted for 5 years with heavy use. They're good computers certainly - fast, nice looking. Using one is very much like making love to a beautiful woman, but I digress.

Basically, if you're in need of a desktop and prepared to make the investment then I'd say go for it. If you're looking to get the most value for your money there are probably other ways to go. The mac mini might be a good idea - external monitors and storage are pretty affordable these days. Maybe the bigger decision is whether to get a desktop when laptops can do so much these days. Might be worth comparing the price of a large, previous generation macbook pro compared to a new iMac (though macbook's are always insanely expensive imo.) But they both still just about have their place.
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 21:09 - Sep 11 with 2341 viewsVancouverHoop

Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 20:24 - Sep 11 by SW17_RRR

is it really good for running all the other apple devices off it - ipads, ipods etc and does it need virus protection?

It doesn't need virus protection. I've been using Macs since the mid-80s and never had a virus.

Why would you run an iPod or iPad, from your computer? They're designed to be separate devices.
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 21:17 - Sep 11 with 2331 viewsSW17_RRR

Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 21:09 - Sep 11 by VancouverHoop

It doesn't need virus protection. I've been using Macs since the mid-80s and never had a virus.

Why would you run an iPod or iPad, from your computer? They're designed to be separate devices.

plugging in for iTunes etc or does all that come from the clouds??
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 21:25 - Sep 11 with 2318 viewsVancouverHoop

Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 21:17 - Sep 11 by SW17_RRR

Ah, if that's what you mean, the computer will download stuff to your iPod, sure.

(BTW, on a side-note, the new version of iTunes is an absolute horror show.)
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 21:33 - Sep 11 with 2315 viewsjoolsyp

Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 21:17 - Sep 11 by SW17_RRR

Sync and backup to iCloud - much easier than plugging your iDevices into your iMac. Just do the occasional sync/backup with iTunes just in case.

You're more at risk from Malware than viruses on a Mac these days although make sure you get apps from the Mac App Store and stay away from dodgy websites and you should be fine ;-)
Login to get fewer ads

Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 21:50 - Sep 11 with 2299 viewsBklynRanger

I plug everything in, no cloud antics for me. If the CIA wants to know what kind of podcasts I've been listening to they'll have to torture me for it.
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 22:32 - Sep 11 with 2267 viewsVancouverHoop

If you every use google, facebook, or your cell in a coffee shop, they probably have everything on you they need.
Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 22:40 - Sep 11 with 2263 viewsBklynRanger

Help Needed Apple iMac (Non-Footbal) on 22:32 - Sep 11 by VancouverHoop

If you every use google, facebook, or your cell in a coffee shop, they probably have everything on you they need.

Pencil and paper only in coffee shops, and I rub out what I write before eating it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024