Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cumbria 21:02 - Dec 6 with 4606 views1mark1

Not football related, but the people of Cumbria need help, obviously if there are other appeals for say Lancashire communities these could be added to this thread.

More needs to be done by the Government. More flood defences, stop the cuts to environment agency, more funds to the victims etc.

http://linkis.com/justgiving.com/fhMbd
[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 21:14]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

URGENT, Cumbria help needed on 21:03 - Dec 6 with 4595 viewsscooby

I have a pair of Kayaks and some kit for sale
Cumbria on 21:17 - Dec 6 with 4528 viewsD_Alien

tbf the government ploughed a significant amount into improving flood defences in places like Cockermouth after their last flood.

Sometimes, nature just beats the attempts of everything humans can throw at it. Always did, always will. We just need to ensure those whose homes are affected are given the right support.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cumbria on 21:21 - Dec 6 with 4499 viewsscooby

Cumbria on 21:17 - Dec 6 by D_Alien

tbf the government ploughed a significant amount into improving flood defences in places like Cockermouth after their last flood.

Sometimes, nature just beats the attempts of everything humans can throw at it. Always did, always will. We just need to ensure those whose homes are affected are given the right support.

how can anyone plan for that much rain in that short period? You cant, EVER!
Cumbria on 21:22 - Dec 6 with 4497 viewsroccydaleian

Have to feel for Bastien Hery. He left his car on the Carlisle FC car park yesterday and you can guess the rest.
Cumbria on 21:23 - Dec 6 with 4490 views1mark1

Cumbria on 21:17 - Dec 6 by D_Alien

I will agree on the bit about the need to fund more assistance to the victims.

Cumbria on 21:23 - Dec 6 with 4488 viewsSuddenLad

Unless someone has a phone number for King Knut and he has improved his skills, there's not a thing that can be done.

Unprecedented levels of rainfall have created a natural phenomenon. Previous 'upgraded' flood defence improvements have been inadequate.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Cumbria on 21:28 - Dec 6 with 4471 viewsD_Alien

Cumbria on 21:23 - Dec 6 by 1mark1

I will agree on the bit about the need to fund more assistance to the victims.

Any government could spent ten times the amount on flood defences but nature will always come up with freak events which overwhelm them. How much more do you think should've been spent?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cumbria on 21:32 - Dec 6 with 4444 viewsDySporting

Mate of mine is head of a school in Carlisle, he's sent me pic, under 5 feet of water, doesn't know when or how it'll reopen. Entire place is flooded through.
Login to get fewer ads

Cumbria on 21:32 - Dec 6 with 4444 viewsscooby

Cumbria on 21:28 - Dec 6 by D_Alien

Any government could spent ten times the amount on flood defences but nature will always come up with freak events which overwhelm them. How much more do you think should've been spent?

and how much do you think the government should compensate? That is what insurance is for, or move.
Cumbria on 21:34 - Dec 6 with 4441 viewsTVOS1907

Cumbria on 21:22 - Dec 6 by roccydaleian

Have to feel for Bastien Hery. He left his car on the Carlisle FC car park yesterday and you can guess the rest.

Bobbyjoe stole it?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Cumbria on 21:35 - Dec 6 with 4438 views1mark1

Cumbria on 21:28 - Dec 6 by D_Alien

I don't know , and don't pretend to know. Only go off what some of the locals say, including people from all parties that more could be done. I know that with this type of stuff happening more often, that the environment agency will become more and more important, so will probably require more resources, whether or not like with all spending, we will ever be able to fully adequately fund the agency, probably not.

You are right that we can never totally guard against this type of natural thing, and the key is to offer all practical support possible.

Cumbria on 21:38 - Dec 6 with 4428 viewsDySporting

Cumbria on 21:32 - Dec 6 by scooby

and how much do you think the government should compensate? That is what insurance is for, or move.

What about the people who can't get house insurance near the ground because it floods so often then?
Cumbria on 21:40 - Dec 6 with 4424 viewsscooby

Cumbria on 21:38 - Dec 6 by DySporting

What about the people who can't get house insurance near the ground because it floods so often then?

like any insurance, its a risk you take or move. simples.
Cumbria on 21:42 - Dec 6 with 4419 viewsKenBoon

Listening to the wireless earlier it sounds like a nightmare. No electric for possibly three nights. I'll plead ignorance if i'm misguided, but I don't understand how a Substation can be flooded to the extent that it can wipe out an entire city. These companies make billions. It's totally unacceptable to have an outage this long.

People trying to raise money is noble, but tbf people pay taxes for stuff like this. Hopefully it is fixed really soon because no electric for so long might bring the scum of the earth out to do what they do best. Scary but community spirit will defeat anything like that.
Cumbria on 21:49 - Dec 6 with 4390 views1mark1

Cumbria on 21:42 - Dec 6 by KenBoon

Listening to the wireless earlier it sounds like a nightmare. No electric for possibly three nights. I'll plead ignorance if i'm misguided, but I don't understand how a Substation can be flooded to the extent that it can wipe out an entire city. These companies make billions. It's totally unacceptable to have an outage this long.

People trying to raise money is noble, but tbf people pay taxes for stuff like this. Hopefully it is fixed really soon because no electric for so long might bring the scum of the earth out to do what they do best. Scary but community spirit will defeat anything like that.

I agree re the raising of money, it should come from central government in these type of circumstances.

Cumbria on 21:49 - Dec 6 with 4387 viewsDySporting

Cumbria on 21:40 - Dec 6 by scooby

like any insurance, its a risk you take or move. simples.

Whose going to buy a house which floods regularly then. The houses near the ground are worth nothing until the govt builds the promised defences. The residents can't get insurance and are stuck. These once in a hundred year floods are happening every few years now and peoples dream homes are now a nightmare.
Cumbria on 22:06 - Dec 6 with 4342 viewsEllGazzell

Cumbria on 21:49 - Dec 6 by DySporting

Whose going to buy a house which floods regularly then. The houses near the ground are worth nothing until the govt builds the promised defences. The residents can't get insurance and are stuck. These once in a hundred year floods are happening every few years now and peoples dream homes are now a nightmare.

It's not the government's responsibility. If they can't get insurance and it's in an area that's "at risk" then it's hard luck I'm afraid.

If not then it's the developer who could be pursued for compensation.

Governments don't build houses and they are not responsible for the weather. To expect them to be paying out for dream homes ruined by freak weather is ludicrous.

My home city has been under "150 year water" twice in the last 10 years. I'm looking to buy a flat and know where I need to consider "at risk". I consider that anywhere near areas that have some type of flood defence.

If I do buy there and need a kayak to get to work in the future, then that's absolutely my fault. If it's somewhere else and I'm paddling to work, it won't be the government's fault!

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Cumbria on 22:13 - Dec 6 with 4319 viewsSuddenLad

To put it into some kind of perspective, Malham Cove became a waterfall again today for the first time in 200 years.

There is some spectacular footage available in various places. Here's one:

[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 22:27]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Cumbria on 00:18 - Dec 7 with 4181 viewsdingdangblue

Cumbria on 21:22 - Dec 6 by roccydaleian

Flooded the engine?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024