Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Ling - MOTM 10:45 - Dec 9 with 4511 viewsJimmyRustler

Swindon's upturn in form has landed Mr Ling a manager of the month nomination and they also had Ajose in the running for POTM.

Does anyone else feel like we get quite unlucky when it comes to the timing of things like this?
[Post edited 9 Dec 2015 11:34]
Martin Ling - MOTM on 10:51 - Dec 9 with 4491 viewsSuddenLad

That 'month' will include the 3-1 defeat at Spotland I presume ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Martin Ling - MOTM on 10:52 - Dec 9 with 4491 viewsdingdangblue

Dont you mean lucky? The manager of the month award usually coincides with a defeat.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:10 - Dec 9 with 4471 viewsJimmyRustler

They've won 3 in 4 in the league since he's come in after losing something like 10 in 12. The defeat to us was in November yes but the award is for League results and he'd only been in charge 4 days when they played us (you could tell cause they looked awful).

With regards to this curse surrounding winning the award, I'd honestly like to see the stats all compiled together to see if this really is true or just a myth based on people's selective memory.
Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:15 - Dec 9 with 4455 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:10 - Dec 9 by JimmyRustler

They've won 3 in 4 in the league since he's come in after losing something like 10 in 12. The defeat to us was in November yes but the award is for League results and he'd only been in charge 4 days when they played us (you could tell cause they looked awful).

With regards to this curse surrounding winning the award, I'd honestly like to see the stats all compiled together to see if this really is true or just a myth based on people's selective memory.

Jimbo.......re your last comment.....bring this topic back up on Saturday night to check the myth.
Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:25 - Dec 9 with 4439 viewsJimmyRustler

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:15 - Dec 9 by Yorkshire_Dale

Jimbo.......re your last comment.....bring this topic back up on Saturday night to check the myth.

Saturdays result isn't really gonna prove or disprove the theory anyway...

As long we don't lose I'll be happy though
Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:27 - Dec 9 with 4434 viewsTVOS1907

Martin Ling - MOTM on 10:51 - Dec 9 by SuddenLad

That 'month' will include the 3-1 defeat at Spotland I presume ?

And a 5-1 thrashing at Fleetwood!!

He's only been nominated at the moment, though. The winners are announced on Friday: http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/sky-bet-league-1-manager-of-t

Westley will probably win it.

The MOTM 'curse' is a myth anyway.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2015 11:33]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:31 - Dec 9 with 4423 viewsTVOS1907

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:15 - Dec 9 by Yorkshire_Dale

It is a myth, but Saturday's result has no bearing on that.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:32 - Dec 9 with 4418 viewsdingdangblue

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:27 - Dec 9 by TVOS1907

And a 5-1 thrashing at Fleetwood!!

He's only been nominated at the moment, though. The winners are announced on Friday: http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/sky-bet-league-1-manager-of-t

Westley will probably win it.

The MOTM 'curse' is a myth anyway.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2015 11:33]

Just like the Dale not winning on telly myth

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Login to get fewer ads

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:33 - Dec 9 with 4415 viewsJimmyRustler

My apologies, I only just realised that I put he'd won it as opposed to being nominated
Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:53 - Dec 9 with 4377 viewsdingdangblue

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:33 - Dec 9 by JimmyRustler

My apologies, I only just realised that I put he'd won it as opposed to being nominated

Dont think he'll win it, think it'll be Westley at Peterborough. As for the curse? This season in league one.

August winner announced 5th Sept
Dean Smith Walsall

Next league game lost 0-1 to bury

September winner announced 9th Oct
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink Burton

Next league game lost 2-0 to Walsall

October winner announced 6th Nov
Mark Robins Scunthorpe

Next league game lost 2-1 to Swindon

Martin Ling - MOTM on 12:16 - Dec 9 with 4334 viewsJimmyRustler

Martin Ling - MOTM on 11:53 - Dec 9 by dingdangblue

Dont think he'll win it, think it'll be Westley at Peterborough. As for the curse? This season in league one.

August winner announced 5th Sept
Dean Smith Walsall

Next league game lost 0-1 to bury

September winner announced 9th Oct
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink Burton

Next league game lost 2-0 to Walsall

October winner announced 6th Nov
Mark Robins Scunthorpe

Next league game lost 2-1 to Swindon

That's only really a handful of data though and tbh, just cause there's a correlation doesn't necessarily mean there's causation. It's more than likely all purely down to coincidence (if the wider data does indeed indicate that this does happen a large majority of the time).

We can all agree that there's no 'curse' though..unless you all believe in the tooth fairy and ParkinsGimp's ramblings
Martin Ling - MOTM on 12:23 - Dec 9 with 4323 viewsdingdangblue

Martin Ling - MOTM on 12:16 - Dec 9 by JimmyRustler

That's only really a handful of data though and tbh, just cause there's a correlation doesn't necessarily mean there's causation. It's more than likely all purely down to coincidence (if the wider data does indeed indicate that this does happen a large majority of the time).

We can all agree that there's no 'curse' though..unless you all believe in the tooth fairy and ParkinsGimp's ramblings

Maybe 'curse' is too strong a word - maybe its more down to having won the award the mindset of the winning manager/players alters. Maybe winning the award makes them take for granted that they'll win the next game? You would have to say that psychology plays a part.

Martin Ling - MOTM on 15:34 - Dec 9 with 4165 viewsJimmyRustler

Martin Ling - MOTM on 12:23 - Dec 9 by dingdangblue

Maybe 'curse' is too strong a word - maybe its more down to having won the award the mindset of the winning manager/players alters. Maybe winning the award makes them take for granted that they'll win the next game? You would have to say that psychology plays a part.

There are quite a few things to factor in and consider. Maybe it motivates the opposing team as well? Or maybe it's just one big huge coincidence :)
Martin Ling - MOTM on 15:57 - Dec 9 with 4149 viewsdingdangblue

Martin Ling - MOTM on 15:34 - Dec 9 by JimmyRustler

There are quite a few things to factor in and consider. Maybe it motivates the opposing team as well? Or maybe it's just one big huge coincidence :)

Or 3 big huge coincidences (this season).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024