Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don Howe RIP 19:44 - Dec 23 with 2385 viewsrobbowood

Former England international and coach Don Howe has died at the age of 80.

The full-back played for West Brom and Arsenal, earning 23 England caps, before establishing himself as a renowned coach for club and country.

Howe helped Arsenal to a league and FA Cup double in 1971 and spent four years as West Brom boss before returning to the Gunners as coach and manager.

He also coached under former England managers Ron Greenwood, Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables.
'One of the greatest ever coaches'

Arsenal chairman Sir Chips Keswick said: "We were aware Don had been enduring a long battle with illness, but it was still a shock to learn the news about someone who was loved by so many people at the club."

Former Gunners goalkeeper Bob Wilson said Howe was "a fine player but truly he was one of the greatest ever coaches in football".

FA chairman Greg Dyke described his death as a "great loss for English football".

Dyke added: "He is widely regarded as being in the vanguard of coaching in England, and I know that his loss will be keenly felt amongst the coaching fraternity in particular and not least by [current England boss] Roy Hodgson, who was close to Don.

"For his country, he not only appeared in [the 1958] World Cup, but he was instrumental in both Sir Bobby Robson's management team for Italia 90, and Euro 96 where he assisted Terry Venables.

"Even in his latter years I understand he continued to pass on his knowledge and advice to aspiring young coaches."
Don Howe RIP on 20:10 - Dec 23 with 2362 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP, always seemed a decent bloke and he dedicated his life to football. Might be having a chin wag with Mr Robson, another gentleman
Don Howe RIP on 20:29 - Dec 23 with 2342 views1mark1

RIP to another good man of football.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Don Howe RIP on 21:35 - Dec 23 with 2306 viewssince58

Top man ,RIP ,Don .
Don Howe RIP on 21:41 - Dec 23 with 2291 viewspioneer

Had the pleasure of a conversation with him in Pompei during the Euro championships in 1980.

I doubt the modern lot would know what Pompei is or was.

Nice bloke, great coach possibly better as a coach than a manager
Don Howe RIP on 22:45 - Dec 23 with 2249 views442Dale

Don Howe RIP on 21:41 - Dec 23 by pioneer

Had the pleasure of a conversation with him in Pompei during the Euro championships in 1980.

Pompeii occurred because of the actions of the Doctor when defeating the Pyroviles.

That is truth.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Don Howe RIP on 23:16 - Dec 23 with 2228 viewsTVOS1907

Don Howe RIP on 22:45 - Dec 23 by 442Dale

Pompeii occurred because of the actions of the Doctor when defeating the Pyroviles.

That is truth.

I thought it was something to do with Frankie Howerd.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Don Howe RIP on 23:50 - Dec 23 with 2207 viewsD_Alien

Don Howe RIP on 21:41 - Dec 23 by pioneer

What were Portsmouth doing in the Euro championships?

RIP Don.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2015 23:50]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024